WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A Sky loss tonight eliminates them effectively from postseason and we have our 8 teams set for the playoffs. No I know some will say hey wait a minute they still have a mathematical possibility of overtaking the Sparks. Indeed. Even the most fervent Sky fan knows the odds of the Sky running the table and the Sparks losing out is close to zero. Even if the Sky do manage to win tonight I would say their chances of squeaking by the Spark are remote.

Chicago has a worse home record than the league doormat. The Mercury, hard as this may be to believe, have a better winning percentage at home than Chicago.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. The caveat is healthy. If so Washington plays such strong defense that they would be in every game in a series

I selfishly want them to play the Aces and not the Liberty. A whole lot has to happen in order for that matchup to take place, though.

Reaction Score
I think in part, Hamby release was also due to her own history of injury. She seems to also be one to get injured either during the end of the season or the playoffs.

I do think Vegas tried to strengthen their bench and starting lineup with the trade but there was no way to anticipate losing both Parker and Williams. That's the equivalent of NY losing JJ and Marine or KT. It's a huge blow to come back from.
Given both their histories I don't think losing Parker to injury (age) or Williams to another domestic violence issue (repeat offender) were that unforeseeable tbh. They are probably the two most likely people to lose for the season or an extended period of time. It why having a usable 8 & 9 players would be so important for them imo.

Reaction Score
Given both their histories I don't think losing Parker to injury (age) or Williams to another domestic violence issue (repeat offender) were that unforeseeable tbh. They are probably the two most likely people to lose for the season or an extended period of time. It why having a usable 8 & 9 players would be so important for them imo.
But they did have a usuable 8-9 player prior to the injury and DV. The starting 5 plus Williams, Clark and Kiah is a championship roster. Everyone else is on a vet minimum contract and they could only afford 11 players as is. But considering everything that involved Riquana, Vegas is really only working with 10 players and 150k less cap space.

I do think it's really unfair and unrealistic to assume DV would be an issue again. There are other players in the league who have the same charges and yet they manage to not (hopefully) do it again.

Reaction Score
I have not given up on the Aces. They are still a very dangerous team with a Hall of Fame coach. In a best of 3 series or a best of 5 series, the Aces will hold the upper hand.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I have not given up on the Aces. They are still a very dangerous team with a Hall of Fame coach. In a best of 3 series or a best of 5 series, the Aces will hold the upper hand.

She is a Hall Of Famer but not a HOF coach (Not yet anyway). She went in as a player.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A Sky loss tonight eliminates them effectively from postseason and we have our 8 teams set for the playoffs. No I know some will say hey wait a minute they still have a mathematical possibility of overtaking the Sparks. Indeed. Even the most fervent Sky fan knows the odds of the Sky running the table and the Sparks losing out is close to zero. Even if the Sky do manage to win tonight I would say their chances of squeaking by the Spark are remote.

Chicago has a worse home record than the league doormat. The Mercury, hard as this may be to believe, have a better winning percentage at home than Chicago.
Well, the Sky did, indeed, eke out a win last night, so LA is at 15-20, with the Sky one-half game back at 15-21, having played one more game than the Sparks.

Schedule for Sparks, who are 9-9 at home and 6-12 on the road.
  • 8/31: Seattle @ LA Sparks
  • 9/3: Wash. @ LA Sparks
  • 9/5: LA Sparks @ Conn.
  • 9/7: LA Sparks @ NY Liberty
  • 9/10: LA Sparks @ Seattle

Schedule for Sky, who are 6-12 and 9-9 on the road.
  • 9/3: NY Liberty @ Sky
  • 9/5: Sky @ Indiana
  • 9/8: Minn. @ Sky
  • 9/10: Sky @ Conn.

Sparks: Would be best served to win the next (and last) two home games the Storm and Mystics before two tough away games in the Tri-State region.

Sky: One less game to play, but running into a hot Liberty team next (at home, no less, which is a disadvantage for the Sky this season) does not help. Games against Fever and Lynx have all been tight, but this year's Sky have not matched up well against the Sun.
Sky have won two straight, but this looks tough....

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I selfishly want them to play the Aces and not the Liberty. A whole lot has to happen in order for that matchup to take place, though.
Well, you and @azfan will get a preview on Aug. 31 when the Mystics travel to Las Vegas.
A look at the box score last night shows the Mystics had their optimal (for this season, at least) line-up last night:
Starters: Sykes, Delle Donne, Austin, Atkins, Cloud.
Bench: Hines-Allen, Hawkins, Walker-Kimbrough, Meng, Tolliver, Egbo (who didn't play against Minn.)

Tough, Adroit. Deep. Not a team any opponent wants to see in the playoffs. And the remaining regular season games will just let/get them get sharper.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Mystics now all the way up to 5th in standings.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Mystics now all the way up to 5th in standings.
And if playoffs were to start as I type, they'd face the Dallas Wings.
Dallas wouldn't want that because Satou Sabally didn't play last game (ankle injury) and, boy, do the Wings need her against virtually any of the playoff teams.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Why do the Sun keep challenging Griner near the hoop?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well, the Sky did, indeed, eke out a win last night, so LA is at 15-20, with the Sky one-half game back at 15-21, having played one more game than the Sparks.

Schedule for Sparks, who are 9-9 at home and 6-12 on the road.
  • 8/31: Seattle @ LA Sparks
  • 9/3: Wash. @ LA Sparks
  • 9/5: LA Sparks @ Conn.
  • 9/7: LA Sparks @ NY Liberty
  • 9/10: LA Sparks @ Seattle

Schedule for Sky, who are 6-12 and 9-9 on the road.
  • 9/3: NY Liberty @ Sky
  • 9/5: Sky @ Indiana
  • 9/8: Minn. @ Sky
  • 9/10: Sky @ Conn.

Sparks: Would be best served to win the next (and last) two home games the Storm and Mystics before two tough away games in the Tri-State region.

Sky: One less game to play, but running into a hot Liberty team next (at home, no less, which is a disadvantage for the Sky this season) does not help. Games against Fever and Lynx have all been tight, but this year's Sky have not matched up well against the Sun.
Sky have won two straight, but this looks tough....
Well, LA lost at home to Seattle, so with Chicago and LA are now both at 15-21, with four games left each. Both have home games on Sunday: Sparks play the Mystics and the Sky host the Liberty.

Speaking of Mystics, they're in a logjam of their own: Washington, Atlanta and Minnesota are all 17-19. Spots to be gained, seeding to be determined! :)

Reaction Score
Well, LA lost at home to Seattle, so with Chicago and LA are now both at 15-21, with four games left each. Both have home games on Sunday: Sparks play the Mystics and the Sky host the Liberty.

Speaking of Mystics, they're in a logjam of their own: Washington, Atlanta and Minnesota are all 17-19. Spots to be gained, seeding to be determined! :)
And Minny and Atlanta play tonight, with Atlanta having our number (0-2).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
BTW, speaking of the Chicago Sky, if you noted forward Allan Smith didn't play last game. Here's why, according to a "Next" article.

• Candidate for Most Improved Player of the Year, Alanna Smith, was placed in concussion protocol after the Sky’s win over the Storm on August 27. Smith missed the following game against the Sparks. There is no timetable for her return. Morgan Bertsch started in her place and played well finishing with 12 points.
Bertsch, if you recall, started the season in the lineup, so she can play. However, Smith has taken her game to unseen levels (at least in the pro's) and the Sky could benefit from her presence...and Bertsch coming off of the bench. We'll see if Smith is out of protocol on Sunday.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Only one player is now at 50-40-90 level (fg% 3ptfg % and FT%)

Elena Delle Donne is at 50% 41.7% 95.5%

Close but not there

Chelsea Gray 48.2%- 41.7% -90.1%
Karlie Samuelson 47%-43%-94%
Layshia Clarendon 47.3% -42.9%- 90.9%
Jackie Young 52.4%- 45.1%- 86.3%

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
No Ionescu and NY still hammered Connecticut. I guess Vegas doesn't need to feel so bad about losing so many times to the Lib lately. Jeez, Willoughby even played 11 minutes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Only one player is now at 50-40-90 level (fg% 3ptfg % and FT%)

Elena Delle Donne is at 50% 41.7% 95.5%

Close but not there

Chelsea Gray 48.2%- 41.7% -90.1%
Karlie Samuelson 47%-43%-94%
Layshia Clarendon 47.3% -42.9%- 90.9%
Jackie Young 52.4%- 45.1%- 86.3%

With EDD, the only concern is the 50/40 part. The 90 is pretty much guaranteed. She shot 88.7% on FTs in 2018. Every other year was at least 91.3%. She's at 93.8% for her career.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Connecticut was pretty much a no-show in Brooklyn, losing by 31. Alyssa Thomas, who often makes things look easy, had a triple-SINGLE. That doesn't help her MVP candidacy.

Reaction Score
UConn alumnae rebounding well in the Minnesota game. 31 between Collier and Juhasz in regulation.
Collier continues to have an incredible season but not enough press goes to Dorka. Holy smokes!! I am so glad that we have her here in Minnesota. I tease Coach Reeve on her decisions but her choice to add Dorka to the roster...frigging BRILLIANT!! Great win, Minnesota!!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Connecticut was pretty much a no-show in Brooklyn, losing by 31. Alyssa Thomas, who often makes things look easy, had a triple-SINGLE. That doesn't help her MVP candidacy.
CT was playing their second game in two nights and had to get to NY from CT. NY hadn't played since Monday and didn't have any travel to do. This late in season, especially when there wasn't much at stake in this game for the Sun (CT is pretty much locked into the #3 seed), rest is going to play a huge role in team performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom