WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coming down to the wire.

So true. I'm kind of new to paying this close attention to the W. Is it typical that a lot of teams hover around .500?

I also ran the numbers for Seattle, Phoenix, and Indiana. All three theoretically still have a chance but it is very improbable. All three teams have the possibility to win 16 games. It would also mean that LA or Washington would have to go on a massive losing streak too. I don't see that happening. Once the team in the #8 seed spot has 17 wins, or of any of those teams lose 1-2 (I didn't do the tiebreaker research) of their remaining games, then they're officially eliminated.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I don't think it's that odd.

You have the two top teams (Vegas and NYL) and three bottom teams (Indiana, Seattle, Phoenix.) Then you have a team in CT that's pretty wedded into 3rd place, and a team like Chicago that looks like it will likely end up in 9th. So your middle of the league pack (Teams 4-8) makes sense they'd be close together, and all around .500. DC/LA have dealt with a ton of injuries this season but are starting to get healthy again; Dallas and Atlanta have flirted with the 4th seed but are too inconsistent. And Minnesota started off dreadful but has made its way back to the path (largely by also getting healthier, L.Allen notwithstanding).

With a league so stacked with talent, would make sense you'd have a ton of teams in the middle.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that odd.

You have the two top teams (Vegas and NYL) and three bottom teams (Indiana, Seattle, Phoenix.) Then you have a team in CT that's pretty wedded into 3rd place, and a team like Chicago that looks like it will likely end up in 9th. So your middle of the league pack (Teams 4-8) makes sense they'd be close together, and all around .500. DC/LA have dealt with a ton of injuries this season but are starting to get healthy again; Dallas and Atlanta have flirted with the 4th seed but are too inconsistent. And Minnesota started off dreadful but has made its way back to the path (largely by also getting healthier, L.Allen notwithstanding).

With a league so stacked with talent, would make sense you'd have a ton of teams in the middle.
Also the bad teams aren't as bad as they used to be either. There are usually 2-3 teams that was basically an easy win for the rest of league and this year is not the case. The bottom teams being competitive has lead to a bigger log jam in the middle than usual.

Reaction Score
Also the bad teams aren't as bad as they used to be either. There are usually 2-3 teams that was basically an easy win for the rest of league and this year is not the case. The bottom teams being competitive has lead to a bigger log jam in the middle than usual.
Phoenix Mercury 1-15 on the road. So Connecticut, Las Vegas, Minnesota, and Atlanta can anticipate wins when they host the hapless Phoenix team over the remainder of the season.

The Atorm and Fever two really bad teams have also handily beaten the Mercury at Footprint Arena.

The old saw about on any given night does not apply to the Mercury.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aces still struggling. Looks like Plum did her part but didn't get much help. I guess EDD isn't done for the year after all.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aces still struggling. Looks like Plum did her part but didn't get much help. I guess EDD isn't done for the year after all.

Yeah, the Aces were held to 30 points under their average. Meanwhile, Stewie goes for 38 and NY routs Minnesota by 35. Phee is held to 10.

Reaction Score
The Fever eeked one out against the Dream. Boston left the game during the 3rd quarter with what looked to be a right hand or wrist injury. She was back on the bench with her hand wrapped up in an elastic bandage in the fourth, but never reentered the game. If I remember correctly, she had a little bit of a sore wrist during her senior year, so I wonder if something exacerbated the issue. I have a feeling she may miss a game or two but not be out for the season. Wallace and Berger stepped up in her place and both had career nights!

Reaction Score
The Fever eeked one out against the Dream. Boston left the game during the 3rd quarter with what looked to be a right hand or wrist injury. She was back on the bench with her hand wrapped up in an elastic bandage in the fourth, but never reentered the game. If I remember correctly, she had a little bit of a sore wrist during her senior year, so I wonder if something exacerbated the issue. I have a feeling she may miss a game or two but not be out for the season. Wallace and Berger stepped up in her place and both had career nights!

3 straight wins. Working their way out of the lotto #1. ( maybe)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dallas/Phoenix had quite the finish. Arike hits 2 free throws with 7 seconds left to go up 4. Howard (Dallas) intentionally fouls Phoenix for seemingly no reason with 3.7 seconds left. The announcer (legendary Ann Meyers) somehow tries to justify this as a smart move since it avoided a potential 4 point play? Well, Phoenix hits the first FT, intentionally misses the second, gets the rebound and a great look for 3 from Jefferson but the shot wedgied as time expires which gave a bizarre reaction from everyone lol. Tough finish for Jefferson but she played great tonight (20 points, 5 assists).

Reaction Score

They said it was her thumb

Reaction Score
You definitely want to be the third or fourth pick!

You forgot that there is a lottery for the 1st pick and that it's done behind closed doors.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What a combo - Clark + Berger!
Oddly, the Fever have given Wheeler some sort of incentive (I'm not sure what's allowed with the salary cap) to stay home this winter and not play overseas. She's good, but Berger is playing really well, and if they're looking at being able to draft Bueckers or Clark, this move makes no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom