WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Weird, when I first looked at the box score it showed Wilson w/ 49.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Might have clinched MVP with that performance and Stewie struggling as of late.
Seems like there are a lot of people trying really hard to talk everybody else into Thomas for MVP. I don't really see it myself, but I don't get a vote.

Reaction Score
Seems like there are a lot of people trying really hard to talk everybody else into Thomas for MVP. I don't really see it myself, but I don't get a vote.
She’s having a marvelous season and deserves her flowers, but the Sun have fallen too far behind the Aces and Liberty for her to take it to the finish line, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Might have clinched MVP with that performance and Stewie struggling as of late.
Stewie was the clear MVP for most of the season but Wilson has really come on strong the last month. They’re close in scoring now, Wilson has the edge in FG%, rebounds, and blocks. Stewie has it in assists and steals. Stewie is clearly the more versatile player but at times Wilson looks more dominant to me.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm not going to get into whether she deserved to take all of these shots, but A'ja hit 20-21 free throws, which is beyond superb. Only one of my former Jesuit teachers would have a trouble with that ;).

That's some volume of shots. Only Arike -- who else -- managed 21 attempts and she chose to take all of them. :)

53 points. Wow.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Lynx were doing their best Fever imitation but pulled it out in the end.

Reaction Score
Dallas brought out the Minnesota "Nice" tonight. Holy smokes. But glad that Minnesota held on to get the win. When Kayla was making shots, I knew that we would win. Of course, in those last two minutes of the game, things looked pretty iffy. Glad the Lynx held on to get the win.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Aces/Dream was very entertaining tonight. Wilson was clearly on a mission after missing some good looks last game down the stretch. Just so dominant tonight on both ends. She’s elevated to top MVP candidate IMO.

The end was quite entertaining as she eclipsed 40 and then every time down the Aces started to look for her. Without difficulty she got to 49 just outplaying Atlanta, and then Atlanta started triple teaming her and doing everything possible to prevent her from breaking 50. It looked like she wouldn’t hit 50, and then the refs called an unbelievably tick tack foul to get A’ja on the line to hit 51. The broadcast didn’t show it but I’m guessing Atlanta’s coach lost her mind over the call because she picked up 2Ts and was promptly ejected, which led to 2 more FTs for A’ja. She tied Liz Cambage’s record of 53 and then was promptly subbed out. Someone on the Aces bench should be reprimanded for not knowing the all time record and taking A’ja out when she could have set the record outright. Not to mention it would dethrone Liz Cambage which is a big win all around for women’s basketball lol. Anyway, great offensive game tonight.

Reaction Score
Dallas brought out the Minnesota "Nice" tonight. Holy smokes. But glad that Minnesota held on to get the win. When Kayla was making shots, I knew that we would win. Of course, in those last two minutes of the game, things looked pretty iffy. Glad the Lynx held on to get the win.

"Minnesota "Nice""? Is that why Sabally posted on X complaining about the fans? Didn't see the game but her comments made me cringe. Thinking I shouldn't watch the replay.

Reaction Score
Aces/Dream was very entertaining tonight. Wilson was clearly on a mission after missing some good looks last game down the stretch. Just so dominant tonight on both ends. She’s elevated to top MVP candidate IMO.

The end was quite entertaining as she eclipsed 40 and then every time down the Aces started to look for her. Without difficulty she got to 49 just outplaying Atlanta, and then Atlanta started triple teaming her and doing everything possible to prevent her from breaking 50. It looked like she wouldn’t hit 50, and then the refs called an unbelievably tick tack foul to get A’ja on the line to hit 51. The broadcast didn’t show it but I’m guessing Atlanta’s coach lost her mind over the call because she picked up 2Ts and was promptly ejected, which led to 2 more FTs for A’ja. She tied Liz Cambage’s record of 53 and then was promptly subbed out. Someone on the Aces bench should be reprimanded for not knowing the all time record and taking A’ja out when she could have set the record outright. Not to mention it would dethrone Liz Cambage which is a big win all around for women’s basketball lol. Anyway, great offensive game tonight.
A'ja was basically playing before a "home crowd" of Gamecock fans in Atlanta and was a little bit jacked bu the feathered faithfull pulling for several alumni on both rosters. BTW Amihere got 6 points for the Dream!

Reaction Score
"Minnesota "Nice""? Is that why Sabally posted on X complaining about the fans? Didn't see the game but her comments made me cringe. Thinking I shouldn't watch the replay.

Physical play on the court can often bring out the very worst in fans. Evidently a number of those fans forgot Midwest nice and crossed the line.

Reaction Score
She’s having a marvelous season and deserves her flowers, but the Sun have fallen too far behind the Aces and Liberty for her to take it to the finish line, in my opinion.
Interesting philosophical question - is the MVP an individual award or a team award.

Without a doubt the top three players in the league this year are Wilson, Stewie, and Thomas.

Convincing arguments can be made for any of the three.

I recall a Super Bowl MVP that was ordered to a player on the losing team. Clearly that's a philosophy of providing an award to the best player regardless of teen outcome.

While it's more difficult to do this I think I'm more sympathetic to recognize the most valuable player in the league irrespective of team performance. Where that leads me to the current WNBA MVP race is still unclear.

If Thomas were to be recognized this year I would find that to be a fitting honor and would have no complaints. Although I'd say the same thing about the other two contenders.

Reaction Score
A'ja was basically playing before a "home crowd" of Gamecock fans in Atlanta and was a little bit jacked bu the feathered faithfull pulling for several alumni on both rosters. BTW Amihere got 6 points for the Dream!

They finally got A’ja and Lay on the court at the same time, for just about a minute. Long enough for Lay to be wide open to swish a baseline jumper. She’s one her last day of her third 7 day contract so unless Aces extend her for the rest of the season, she’s likely done in LV for the season.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I saw her comments about our fanbase this morning. We aren't that disgusting. Just a great example of, even amongst a bed of roses, there will be a few weeds in the mix. For the most part, we Minnesota sports fans are laid back. We don't get that hyped up. Last night, Dallas had us at DEFCON 3. Not sure what was in the air. But the fans that cheered when Sabally went down, that was not called for and glad that Coach Reeve demanded that a fan be removed, and the ushers ejected a few others. Not cool. Not Minnesota Nice. I can't wait until Thursday now.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I saw her comments about our fanbase this morning. We aren't that disgusting. Just a great example of, even amongst a bed of roses, there will be a few weeds in the mix. For the most part, we Minnesota sports fans are laid back. We don't get that hyped up. Last night, Dallas had us at DEFCON 3. Not sure what was in the air. But the fans that cheered when Sabally went down, that was not called for and glad that Coach Reeve demanded that a fan be removed, and the ushers ejected a few others. Not cool. Not Minnesota Nice. I can't wait until Thursday now.
Gotcha. Now when you use DEFCON 3 as a description, how bad is that? Is DEFCON 1 worse in comparison? As a Canadian I get the levels of severity confused.

Reaction Score

Just saw a replay of the incident on X. Just wow. A shame too. Sabally blowing kisses to the audience didn't really help things either.

While I get we need to allow players to be themselves, I struggle with situations like this. Would those other 2 fans have been ejected had she not done so? That's the question for me.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Could not be more happy for Alaina! :)

I hope she gets more playing time--she looks much better out there than George IMO. She's also worked hard to get into great shape.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Just saw a replay of the incident on X. Just wow. A shame too. Sabally blowing kisses to the audience didn't really help things either.

While I get we need to allow players to be themselves, I struggle with situations like this. Would those other 2 fans have been ejected had she not done so? That's the question for me.
I'm just going from memory here, and I'm in no way excusing the behavior of the "fans."

This had been building for some time before it got out of hand. There seemed to be some hecklers in the stands, and both Sabally and Ogunbowale took the bait and began shouting back at them and Sabally blew kisses at the crowd. I was wondering if Arike and Satou would be fined; all depended on what they said. IIRC this was a few minutes before the second flagrant on Carleton, when things really went to hell. I thought one of the fans had been ejected before that, could be wrong.

Reaction Score
I hope she gets more playing time--she looks much better out there than George IMO. She's also worked hard to get into great shape.
Most assumed Parker was done for the season based on comments (or lack thereof) from the Aces organization and her silence on social media, but this move seems to confirm it.

I don’t think Stokes or George is the answer in a series against the Liberty, so Coates can’t hurt. At least she has chemistry with Wilson.

Reaction Score
I'm just going from memory here, and I'm in no way excusing the behavior of the "fans."

This had been building for some time before it got out of hand. There seemed to be some hecklers in the stands, and both Sabally and Ogunbowale took the bait and began shouting back at them and Sabally blew kisses at the crowd. I was wondering if Arike and Satou would be fined; all depended on what they said. IIRC this was a few minutes before the second flagrant on Carleton, when things really went to hell. I thought one of the fans had been ejected before that, could be wrong.

Not taking your reply as excusing the fans. It's unfortunate it got to that point though. Good to see that the Lynx supported the elections and came out to talk about it after the game. At the same time, players taking the bait, as you say, doesn't help matters.

Reaction Score
Gotcha. Now when you use DEFCON 3 as a description, how bad is that? Is DEFCON 1 worse in comparison? As a Canadian I get the levels of severity confused.
DEFCON 3 is like mid-level, Air Force is ready to launch in 10-15 minutes. You are correct. DEFCON 1 is worse.

Reaction Score
Most assumed Parker was done for the season based on comments (or lack thereof) from the Aces organization and her silence on social media, but this move seems to confirm it.

I don’t think Stokes or George is the answer in a series against the Liberty, so Coates can’t hurt. At least she has chemistry with Wilson.
The Aces will adjust if this is the case with Parker.

Reaction Score

It is tough to say. I think the other two fan ejections would have happened no matter what. Sabally's blowing kisses just made the ejection happen faster. For the record, I did not have an issue with Sabally blowing kisses. She is a competitor and in the heat of the moment, emotions are all over the place. I am looking forward to the game tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom