OT: - With Bill Belichick Some Things Are Constants | The Boneyard

OT: With Bill Belichick Some Things Are Constants

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Of course she provoked him to maximize what she clearly planned in advance to do with it. So good for you Bill.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Typical. What's new? For someone who classlessly wrote "I retire as HC of the NYJ" on the back of a napkin instead of facing the owner. I would expect nothing less.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why should he give out any hint whatsoever pertaining to his team and the tactical and strategic thinking about them? His management style is perfect for maintaining full control and producing a consistently competitive team year in and year out. Six SB wins did not happen by accident.....and I really chuckle when someone does their best to try and nit pick something pertaining to BB and the Patriots.

Reaction Score
Typical. What's new? For someone who classlessly wrote "I retire as HC of the NYJ" on the back of a napkin instead of facing the owner I would expect nothing less.
Lots of people probably wish they quit before they started

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She's gone face to face (eye to eye) with far tougher men than Bellichek and lived to tell about it.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Typical. What's new? For someone who classlessly wrote "I retire as HC of the NYJ" on the back of a napkin instead of facing the owner I would expect nothing less.
She was just trying to make herself the news. No real effort to collect new info.

Reaction Score
Publicity stunt on her part so some folks could say what you just said.
They know he's not going to answer but they want to be known as the first to get an answer out of him. Big media game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, I keep seeing this crap, but I'm not seeing any icy stare down. Looks more like he was waiting for her to ask another question. She didn't, they departed.

Reaction Score

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Hmm, based on the clip from the interview with Jacobson, it seems to me that if there had ever been an "icy death stare" contest between Pat Summitt and Bellicheck, she'd have won hands down.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
BB is a great football coach, and he is famously taciturn. Many coaches seem to resent the press, and too often the press asks uninformed or off topic questions. Here in Alabama , Coach Saban is known for his dissatisfaction with the press. But they all need the press to promote their teams and sports. And the fans are always hungry for information. The media has a job to perform, and the coaches also have to accommodate them when the questions are reasonable and serve to shine light on the process. Too many times the questions are poorly worded, or designed to elicit some scandalous dope. I really appreciate the reporters who have learned to walk that tightrope. And I also appreciate coaches who can navigate an interview without a rude and overbearing attitude toward questioners. But it is a fraught process that often leads to misunderstandings. No one gets it right every time. This was a kerfuffle that is much less than it was purported to be. She asked a question, and he chose to deflect. Move along.

JordyG

Reaction Score
That's not how it played out - he informed everyone before he hit the podium - including team president Steve Gutman:

Yes then I was wrong. The 5 minutes or so he gave the Jets coaching staff (not the owner, or course, who heard it on TV) was so much more classy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
BB's whole ripped hoody was a protest against the NFL rule that coaches had to wear NFL sanctioned team apparel. His less than useful injury report listings is another protest against the NFL mandated nod to initially illegal gambling and their current investments in legalized gambling. His generally deathly boring media availability is yet another protest against the NFL mandates that he, his coaches, and his players are required to spend their time pandering to the media when they could be working.

He really has a lot of contempt for the league offices and especially the current commish.

Specific to this - the league again mandates that coaches face the media to discuss football - he had already made it clear multiple times he would answer football questions but not questions about AB, and had walked out of two media sessions when no one asked a football question. So ... he simply waited for a football question and ... end of interview.

Reaction Score
BB's whole ripped hoody was a protest against the NFL rule that coaches had to wear NFL sanctioned team apparel. His less than useful injury report listings is another protest against the NFL mandated nod to initially illegal gambling and their current investments in legalized gambling. His generally deathly boring media availability is yet another protest against the NFL mandates that he, his coaches, and his players are required to spend their time pandering to the media when they could be working.

He really has a lot of contempt for the league offices and especially the current commish.

Specific to this - the league again mandates that coaches face the media to discuss football - he had already made it clear multiple times he would answer football questions but not questions about AB, and had walked out of two media sessions when no one asked a football question. So ... he simply waited for a football question and ... end of interview.
Exactly. They know in advance what he's not going to answer but a lot of media members have a hard time comprehending the spoken word.

Reaction Score
Yes then I was wrong. The 5 minutes or so he gave the Jets coaching staff (not the owner, or course, who heard it on TV) was so much more classy.

Let's see, he bailed out of a less-than-stable situation for a perceived better opportunity elsewhere. Can't say that I blame him. And if he hadn't have been so successful, you would have forgotten about this long, long, ago......

JordyG

Reaction Score
Let's see, he bailed out of a less-than-stable situation for a perceived better opportunity elsewhere. Can't say that I blame him. And if he hadn't have been so successful, you would have forgotten about this long, long, ago.
I get that you're a Pats fan. But no one blames him for changing teams. It's the way he did it that was despicable. It was the betrayal of trust that was despicable. It is his continued attitude toward the press that is despicable. Yes, it is the myriad of ensuing scandals that he is responsible for that is despicable. It all seems part of his nature. No matter how many championships his teams win the Pats will never be considered America's team, and his teams will always be far more hated than the Cowboys. It all comes back to Belichick. It's because of his success and the opportunity for more that we see these things. Lastly, I don't think that was a staredown. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt even though Jacobson said it was her final question. But his relationship toward the press lends itself toward a certain expectancy among reporters. Yet it wasn't as if the question she asked was out of bounds nor was it a non football related issue. His no comment, comment was typical coach speak.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I get that you're a Pats fan. But no one blames him for changing teams. It's the way he did it that was despicable. It was the betrayal of trust that was despicable. It is his continued attitude toward the press that is despicable. Yes, it is the myriad of ensuing scandals that he is responsible for that is despicable. It all seems part of his nature. No matter how many championships his teams win the Pats will never be considered America's team, and his teams will always be far more hated than the Cowboys. It all comes back to Belichick. It's because of his success and the opportunity for more that we see these things. Lastly, I don't think that was a staredown. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt even though Jacobson said it was her final question. But his relationship toward the press lends itself toward a certain expectancy among reporters. Yet it wasn't as if the question she asked was out of bounds nor was it a non football related issue. His no comment, comment was typical coach speak.
Why does this wind you up so much?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bitter jets fans

If that's the case, the Jets were fairly mediocre to decent in the aughts, but the Patriots are not the reason they've been fairly awful to mediocre in the teens. They played 14 other regular season games per year against teams not based in Massachusetts.

The Patriots were penalized pretty substantially for each alleged scandal (of which only spy-____ was remotely bonafide), including when Belichick decided to be coach of the Patriots and for what should have been deemed the natural course of physics.

Reaction Score

1. Yes, Pats fan since their inception in the early 60's.
2. What "betrayal" of trust...? He felt highly uncomfortable with his new situation and bailed before it got even more tenuous. He had a great offer and simply couldn't refuse it.
3. "Myriad of scandals" Oh boy, now there's a comment from desperation. Husky 25 addressed it well.
4. Neither the Pats - or their fans - want to be known as "America's team"...! Heaven forbid...!
5. Reporters know he won't give up any information pertaining to his FB team- he protects them like a Mama Griz. Now ask him a general football related question and he'll talk your head off.

JordyG

Reaction Score
1) As I thought

2) Of Bill Parcells and all of the NY fans

3) As it shows a pattern of behavior

4) Everyone loves a winner, yet the Pats are the most hated football team in the country. Pittsburgh is tied for the most in Super Bowl wins yet they are more loved. Dallas has 5 yet they are (for some unknown reason to me) far more beloved. So, it certainly must be a relief to you Pats fans to know you're the most hated.

5) The man throughout his history is terse even on football related questions. Everyone is accustomed to coach speak, but he takes it to the most adversarial level in pro football. A real sweetie. Look at the way Geno handles the press. 'Nuff said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom