With a heavy heart, I'm saddened to report the passing of the patriarch of the DM family | Page 2 | The Boneyard

With a heavy heart, I'm saddened to report the passing of the patriarch of the DM family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank you all for your kind words. Sorry that I can't respond to each one individually. I'm going to head outside to do a little yard work. Knowing my Dad lived a long and relatively healthy and full life and having that scare 6 weeks ago, sort of took the sting out of this. I feel I can more celebrate his life than morn his loss, if that makes sense.

I'll check back later and then make all of you have to read every word of my 2015/16 preseason team and player by player analysis, expecting everyone of you to reply with something other than how long my post was. :) Just in case you weren't sure, I am kidding! Though expect that post sometime between now and the beginning of next season. Which at that time, I'll gladly read your humorous attempts about the length of my War and Peace masterpieces where I'll muster up a laugh or two. ;)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My condolences DM.

Reaction Score
So sorry for your loss. You were fortunate to have your Dad for almost 93 years and the memories do live on.

Reaction Score
Very sorry for your loss. This generation that did so much serving our country in WWII is fast disappearing. Condolences.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Very, very sorry for your loss. As a stranger, I didn't know your father, but the fact that he was a WWII veteran tells me all I need to know about the man. Very few men and women like your Father still with us. A great loss to your family and our country alike.

Reaction Score
Condolences DM. It's funny how manny of us are faceless people to one another but yet within this crazy forum that brought all of us here because of a a common bond we bear a little bit of ourselves enough to feel both the sadness and happiness of the others' life. God bless and peace to your family.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing your memories and thoughts, especially on the roof rake event. Sometimes humor can be one of our best memories. In my case, my Dad was a life long Sox fan and to this day my fondest memories are those days we spent at Fenway. My condolences to you and your family.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Sounds like he was a great man DM.

Reaction Score
With a heavy heart, I want to share with my Boneyard family that Patriarch of the DM family passed away this morning. He was a World War II vet who would have turned 93 this coming August. My daughter, son and I were schedule to visit him in Montgomery AL at the end of the month. He lived a long a happy life. We had thought we lost him about 6 weeks ago, but he bounced back like one of our great UConn point guards, and actually played golf a couple times before he went into the hospital again. Team DogNabbit, the two time Boneyard Classic champions, thanks partly to my high handicap, ;) would have been proud to have him on our team. Even in his 90s, I'm pretty sure I still would not have been able to beat him. By the way, he too was a writer, for those wondering where my propensity for long posts comes from.

I was afraid that he was going to pass away yesterday, the same day we received the wonderful news that Sterling Gibbs chose UConn for his 5th and final year. I didn't want to cast any sadness to what was a happy day for Husky Nation. Since I knew what was looming, it did understandably take some of the joy personally out of the Gibbs' news.

One quick story that I felt might bring a smile to some since we all have dads and hopeful fond memories: Many years ago back when I was a teenager, I walked into the house holding this long aluminum handle and proceeded to tell my Dad that the rest of the roof rake was stuck on the roof and that bolt and wing nut that held it to the other end were missing somewhere in the deep snow. Somewhat angry he said, "You should have made sure the wing nut was tightened!" I then asked him, "Well how did you know that?" He paused and then replied, "Because the same thing happened to me!" We both began to laugh, realizing how funny that whole situation and conversation went down.

Like all Dads, he wasn't perfect. But he was a good husband to my mom, and after she passed, to his current widow, a good dad, and a very good man. He will be missed.

Anyhow, I wanted to share this news with my fellow Boneyard friends. Similar to family where you share happy and sad times, don't always get along, though usually do, the Boneyard is like a second family to many of us. My immediate family and most of my extended family aren't UConn fans, so it's here where I go to share my thoughts, feelings, impeccably accurate analysis :rolleyes:, and rare but occasional crow eating, the few times I'm...gulp...well...wrong, when it comes to all things UConn Hoops.

I'm now looking forward to the 2015/16 team raise up banner #5 on the walls of HGP to turn the page on what was a challenging year for our team and household, and to a new one filled with great celebration. Okay, 2015 wasn't all that bad. The Pats, who are my and my Dad's team, took the air out of other NFL teams by becoming XLIX Super Bowl champs. Don't anyone dare add a negative Pats' deflategate reply to this thread! This one is all about my dad. Yeah, that's a low blow for those Patriot Haters, but deal!! :D

Stu,

my sincere condolences on the passing of your Dad. I am sure you will smile many times daily thinking of all the pleasant memories your Dad gave you.

God bless you and your family.

Steve85

Reaction Score
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your dad had an amazing life, and he'll always be with you.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
92 and still out hitting golfballs?

Nicely done, Mr. G.

Very sorry for your loss, Stu.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sorry for your loss, DM.

Sounds like your dad had a great, full and long life. Sign me up for that.

I hope you and your family find peace in his passing.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about your Dad. Lost mine last year. Have to say, at least for us, it hasn't gotten better.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear DM. Sounds like he was a great dad, friend and golf partner so he will be missed. At 92 he had a great run I am sure.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
With a heavy heart, I want to share with my Boneyard family that Patriarch of the DM family passed away this morning. He was a World War II vet who would have turned 93 this coming August. My daughter, son and I were schedule to visit him in Montgomery AL at the end of the month. He lived a long a happy life. We had thought we lost him about 6 weeks ago, but he bounced back like one of our great UConn point guards, and actually played golf a couple times before he went into the hospital again. Team DogNabbit, the two time Boneyard Classic champions, thanks partly to my high handicap, ;) would have been proud to have him on our team. Even in his 90s, I'm pretty sure I still would not have been able to beat him. By the way, he too was a writer, for those wondering where my propensity for long posts comes from.

I was afraid that he was going to pass away yesterday, the same day we received the wonderful news that Sterling Gibbs chose UConn for his 5th and final year. I didn't want to cast any sadness to what was a happy day for Husky Nation. Since I knew what was looming, it did understandably take some of the joy personally out of the Gibbs' news.

One quick story that I felt might bring a smile to some since we all have dads and hopeful fond memories: Many years ago back when I was a teenager, I walked into the house holding this long aluminum handle and proceeded to tell my Dad that the rest of the roof rake was stuck on the roof and that bolt and wing nut that held it to the other end were missing somewhere in the deep snow. Somewhat angry he said, "You should have made sure the wing nut was tightened!" I then asked him, "Well how did you know that?" He paused and then replied, "Because the same thing happened to me!" We both began to laugh, realizing how funny that whole situation and conversation went down.

Like all Dads, he wasn't perfect. But he was a good husband to my mom, and after she passed, to his current widow, a good dad, and a very good man. He will be missed.

Anyhow, I wanted to share this news with my fellow Boneyard friends. Similar to family where you share happy and sad times, don't always get along, though usually do, the Boneyard is like a second family to many of us. My immediate family and most of my extended family aren't UConn fans, so it's here where I go to share my thoughts, feelings, impeccably accurate analysis :rolleyes:, and rare but occasional crow eating, the few times I'm...gulp...well...wrong, when it comes to all things UConn Hoops.

I'm now looking forward to the 2015/16 team raise up banner #5 on the walls of HGP to turn the page on what was a challenging year for our team and household, and to a new one filled with great celebration. Okay, 2015 wasn't all that bad. The Pats, who are my and my Dad's team, took the air out of other NFL teams by becoming XLIX Super Bowl champs. Don't anyone dare add a negative Pats' deflategate reply to this thread! This one is all about my dad. Yeah, that's a low blow for those Patriot Haters, but deal!! :D

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
DM sorry for your loss and sorry you missed an opportunity to visit with your Dad one more time. Time will make the memories more endearing.

Always enjoy your posts. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear such sad news… Godspeed to your Dad on his next journey… Be well

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing DM and sincere condolences. Another one of the greatest generation that we are very thankful for.

Reaction Score
Dogmania we have never met but I have always enjoyed your posts. Thanks for sharing your stories about your dad. Very sorry for your loss but it sounds like he had a heck of a full life all the way up to the end. May you and your family continue to celebrate his memory.

Reaction Score

my deepest sympathy. Hold onto the memories of the good times.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing your loss, Stu. I can relate in a very personal way as my 93-year-old mother has bronchial pneumonia and was admitted to the hospital yesterday with significant breathing difficulty. She has stabilized, but has not shown the response to treatment that would be desired so far. She is 93, but clear as can be and still a strong and caring lady, probably the most selfless person I have known. At 93, she was going to fly out to CT to come with us to our daughter's college graduation this weekend before getting sick. There is reason to believe that she will get better, but who knows at her age. I was in tears yesterday after the graduation when I heard she was hospitalized and got in touch with how much I am not ready to say goodbye (not that that makes any difference).

Take care of yourself! Your Dad sounds like a great person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom