With a heavy heart, I'm saddened to report the passing of the patriarch of the DM family | Page 3 | The Boneyard

With a heavy heart, I'm saddened to report the passing of the patriarch of the DM family

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Sorry for your loss DM. It is almost 30 years since I lost my WWII vet Dad and I know it is never easy. Expect a pretty tough year ahead, let yourself be happy when it comes and sad when that comes. All the best.
another DM

Reaction Score
Stu,

my sincere condolences on the passing of your Dad. I am sure you will smile many times daily thinking of all the pleasant memories your Dad gave you.

God bless you and your family.

Steve85
Thanks, Steve.

Reaction Score
I just got back from having dinner with a close friend of mine, Alex, who's also a big UConn fan. Alex and I have shared season tickets for years with DPSr and Mrs. DPSr. It was a nice escape.

Again, I wish I could reply to each kind and encouraging post. It was nice reading how some of you actually enjoy reading my posts. How about that!?!? :)

But it's all the nice things said about my dad that really stood out. I know I've taken for granted that he served in World War II. I've thanked many for serving our country, but I don't recall if I ever thanked my dad for that.

There are so few WWII vets that are still alive. My brother took my dad to the World War II museum down in New Orleans a year or two ago, which I've heard is spectacular. He had plans to take him down there again this August, but unfortunately that trip won't be taking place. I heard they keep on expanding the museum. I hope to get down there some day, and hope others get to do so as well.

Thank you all for taking the time to post your condolences. It's been the highlight of my day reading them. Sure beat the hell out of pumping all the water and crap off the top of my pool, that's for sure. :)

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing your loss, Stu. I can relate in a very personal way as my 93-year-old mother has bronchial pneumonia and was admitted to the hospital yesterday with significant breathing difficulty. She has stabilized, but has not shown the response to treatment that would be desired so far. She is 93, but clear as can be and still a strong and caring lady, probably the most selfless person I have known. At 93, she was going to fly out to CT to come with us to our daughter's college graduation this weekend before getting sick. There is reason to believe that she will get better, but who knows at her age. I was in tears yesterday after the graduation when I heard she was hospitalized and got in touch with how much I am not ready to say goodbye (not that that makes any difference).

Take care of yourself! Your Dad sounds like a great person.
Sorry to hear that your mother has fallen ill, DB2U. I hope she recovers, and that you enjoy many more years with her. She sounds like a special woman. The world isn't ready to lose her just yet.

C

Chief00

The WW2 generation was special - I am so sorry to hear about your Dad's death. He lived a full life but I am sure you will find emptiness at certain times going forward due to his loss - he sounds like a great guy.
The Chief 00

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
condolences DM

Reaction Score
I hate your long posts....always have. This was your best one. Try to celebrate his great memories the best you can. Sending good thoughts to you and your family.

Reaction Score
May he rest in peace... Blessings to you and your family

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sincere condolences and thank you to your father for his service and sacrifice as a member of The Greatest Generation

Reaction Score
With a heavy heart, I want to share with my Boneyard family that Patriarch of the DM family passed away this morning. He was a World War II vet who would have turned 93 this coming August. My daughter, son and I were schedule to visit him in Montgomery AL at the end of the month. He lived a long a happy life. We had thought we lost him about 6 weeks ago, but he bounced back like one of our great UConn point guards, and actually played golf a couple times before he went into the hospital again. Team DogNabbit, the two time Boneyard Classic champions, thanks partly to my high handicap, ;) would have been proud to have him on our team. Even in his 90s, I'm pretty sure I still would not have been able to beat him. By the way, he too was a writer, for those wondering where my propensity for long posts comes from.

I was afraid that he was going to pass away yesterday, the same day we received the wonderful news that Sterling Gibbs chose UConn for his 5th and final year. I didn't want to cast any sadness to what was a happy day for Husky Nation. Since I knew what was looming, it did understandably take some of the joy personally out of the Gibbs' news.

One quick story that I felt might bring a smile to some since we all have dads and hopeful fond memories: Many years ago back when I was a teenager, I walked into the house holding this long aluminum handle and proceeded to tell my Dad that the rest of the roof rake was stuck on the roof and that bolt and wing nut that held it to the other end were missing somewhere in the deep snow. Somewhat angry he said, "You should have made sure the wing nut was tightened!" I then asked him, "Well how did you know that?" He paused and then replied, "Because the same thing happened to me!" We both began to laugh, realizing how funny that whole situation and conversation went down.

Like all Dads, he wasn't perfect. But he was a good husband to my mom, and after she passed, to his current widow, a good dad, and a very good man. He will be missed.

Anyhow, I wanted to share this news with my fellow Boneyard friends. Similar to family where you share happy and sad times, don't always get along, though usually do, the Boneyard is like a second family to many of us. My immediate family and most of my extended family aren't UConn fans, so it's here where I go to share my thoughts, feelings, impeccably accurate analysis :rolleyes:, and rare but occasional crow eating, the few times I'm...gulp...well...wrong, when it comes to all things UConn Hoops.

I'm now looking forward to the 2015/16 team raise up banner #5 on the walls of HGP to turn the page on what was a challenging year for our team and household, and to a new one filled with great celebration. Okay, 2015 wasn't all that bad. The Pats, who are my and my Dad's team, took the air out of other NFL teams by becoming XLIX Super Bowl champs. Don't anyone dare add a negative Pats' deflategate reply to this thread! This one is all about my dad. Yeah, that's a low blow for those Patriot Haters, but deal!! :D
With a heavy heart, I want to share with my Boneyard family that Patriarch of the DM family passed away this morning. He was a World War II vet who would have turned 93 this coming August. My daughter, son and I were schedule to visit him in Montgomery AL at the end of the month. He lived a long a happy life. We had thought we lost him about 6 weeks ago, but he bounced back like one of our great UConn point guards, and actually played golf a couple times before he went into the hospital again. Team DogNabbit, the two time Boneyard Classic champions, thanks partly to my high handicap, ;) would have been proud to have him on our team. Even in his 90s, I'm pretty sure I still would not have been able to beat him. By the way, he too was a writer, for those wondering where my propensity for long posts comes from.

I was afraid that he was going to pass away yesterday, the same day we received the wonderful news that Sterling Gibbs chose UConn for his 5th and final year. I didn't want to cast any sadness to what was a happy day for Husky Nation. Since I knew what was looming, it did understandably take some of the joy personally out of the Gibbs' news.

One quick story that I felt might bring a smile to some since we all have dads and hopeful fond memories: Many years ago back when I was a teenager, I walked into the house holding this long aluminum handle and proceeded to tell my Dad that the rest of the roof rake was stuck on the roof and that bolt and wing nut that held it to the other end were missing somewhere in the deep snow. Somewhat angry he said, "You should have made sure the wing nut was tightened!" I then asked him, "Well how did you know that?" He paused and then replied, "Because the same thing happened to me!" We both began to laugh, realizing how funny that whole situation and conversation went down.

Like all Dads, he wasn't perfect. But he was a good husband to my mom, and after she passed, to his current widow, a good dad, and a very good man. He will be missed.

Anyhow, I wanted to share this news with my fellow Boneyard friends. Similar to family where you share happy and sad times, don't always get along, though usually do, the Boneyard is like a second family to many of us. My immediate family and most of my extended family aren't UConn fans, so it's here where I go to share my thoughts, feelings, impeccably accurate analysis :rolleyes:, and rare but occasional crow eating, the few times I'm...gulp...well...wrong, when it comes to all things UConn Hoops.

I'm now looking forward to the 2015/16 team raise up banner #5 on the walls of HGP to turn the page on what was a challenging year for our team and household, and to a new one filled with great celebration. Okay, 2015 wasn't all that bad. The Pats, who are my and my Dad's team, took the air out of other NFL teams by becoming XLIX Super Bowl champs. Don't anyone dare add a negative Pats' deflategate reply to this thread! This one is all about my dad. Yeah, that's a low blow for those Patriot Haters, but deal!! :D

Reaction Score
I am so very sorry to hear that. Your entire family will be in our prayers.

Reaction Score
Lost my dad in 92 and my Mom this year. After we beat Duke in 99 I went outside and looked up at the stars and said "we did it Dad, thanks". The first 2 years passing all the holidays and milestones were tough. The finality of it all. Sorry DM. He will walk along with you now.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'm very sorry for your loss and I wish there was something I could say that would be of comfort, but I know mere words won't do much at a time like this. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers and whenever we hoist up the banner for title #5, know he'll be watching and smiling.

Reaction Score
Lost my dad in 92 and my Mom this year. After we beat Duke in 99 I went outside and looked up at the stars and said "we did it Dad, thanks". The first 2 years passing all the holidays and milestones were tough. The finality of it all. Sorry DM. He will walk along with you now.
Thank you all for your kind words. Sorry that I can't respond to each one individually. I'm going to head outside to do a little yard work. Knowing my Dad lived a long and relatively healthy and full life and having that scare 6 weeks ago, sort of took the sting out of this. I feel I can more celebrate his life than morn his loss, if that makes sense.

I'll check back later and then make all of you have to read every word of my 2015/16 preseason team and player by player analysis, expecting everyone of you to reply with something other than how long my post was. :) Just in case you weren't sure, I am kidding! Though expect that post sometime between now and the beginning of next season. Which at that time, I'll gladly read your humorous attempts about the length of my War and Peace masterpieces where I'll muster up a laugh or two. ;)

I lost my mother a year and a half ago, we are finally getting to the end of estate settlement. She was 96; I still miss her. She was a great lady. I don't toss around the word great. I just mention this because even though the people we love have lived a long and happy life, and they left this mortal coil with few or no regrets; they are still deeply missed. I try and remember something special about her as often as I can
That helps.

Good wishes and my prayers for you and your family.

Reaction Score

Lost my dad in '92 also and had the same feelings after Duke. How about those dreams to this day where you are actually with him only to wake to only the memory. We will always have those for the one's we love.

Feel for DM

Reaction Score
We are all one dysfunctional family here but we definitely are saddened when a fellow BY loses a relative or someone special. Sorry for your loss.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
DM, It was just three weeks ago that we lost Dribbles, and now he has your Dad with him to go over the plays to be made by the men and women. Dribbles always studied WWII, saying that the men who served and women too, were the most important people in this land. They earned the respect from all, through Depression, War and making America the # 1 country in the world. When Dribbles was ill I had to share with this group. You help me survive and DM they will help you also. This is one great group of supporters for all and I want to thank you all. DM my condolences to you and all your family. Peace be with you. GO HUSKIES! Mrs. Dribbles

Reaction Score
Sounds like you, your. Family, and the country lost a heck of a man. As an American, I am very sorry for our loss.

Reaction Score
I send my deepest condolences to you and your family. Sounds like he was a great man, I have the utmost respect for those WW 2 veterans, we should all aspire to live like those men and women lived. Its a sad time also a celebration of a great life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom