Wimbledon 2013 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wimbledon 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Lol it's called growing up...happens to most of us (sadly) :p
Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying. And dying to me don't sound like that much fun.

p.s. yea maybe someday Williams will grow up and stop acting like that. ;) (sorry yea I know they don't fit together, but thought of that after I went the other way)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Getting back to Wimbledon....
I must say...the match between Sharapova and Larcher de Brito is the loudest I have ever heard...It is almost as if they had a vocal contest going on as well as a tennis match....

ESPN is jumping around too much...hard to get into a game cause they switch so much :confused:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wow - players are dropping like flies...seriously, courts appear slicker that ever, and several seeds have dropped out due to injuries caused from falls...or lost after falling...

Sharapova just went down again. :eek:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sharapova out - loses to Michelle Larcher de Brito in 2 sets...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Azarenka withdrew with an injury and Sharapova mysteriously goes out to a Portugese player ranked 131 in the world. Certainly a shocker. I'm not sure Serena was going to be seriously challenged in this tourney, but her road to the championship just got a heck of a lot easier.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Azarenka withdrew with an injury and Sharapova mysteriously goes out to a Portugese player ranked 131 in the world. Certainly a shocker. I'm not sure Serena was going to be seriously challenged in this tourney, but her road to the championship just got a heck of a lot easier.

There is a lot of conversation amongst the commentators regarding the slickness of the court. Several players have had injuries related to falling and either lost (Sharapova) or withdrew, including the player who eliminated Nadal.

Also discussed was the short duration of time between the French Open and Wimbledon leaving little time for players to adjust to playing on grass courts.

Regardless, this is the oddest Wimbledon I have seen...I rarely get to see the early rounds because of work....

Federer playing a first set tie breaker, up 4 -2

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Also #9 Wozniaki went down as well. And you are right - Isner, Cilic, and I forget - maybe one other withdrew with injuries on the men's side. and of course the upset of Nadal. I think it has made the tourney exciting...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Yes, a lot of newer younger players will be front and center, assuming they can escape injury as well.

Slone Stevens, a 20 year old USA player is currently playing a tight 3rd - up three match points....

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Yes, a lot of newer younger players will be front and center, assuming they can escape injury as well.

Slone Stevens, a 20 year old USA player is currently playing a 3rd set tie break.

No tiebreaks in the final set.......

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Also #9 Wozniaki went down as well. And you are right - Isner, Cilic, and I forget - maybe one other withdrew with injuries on the men's side. and of course the upset of Nadal. I think it has made the tourney exciting...

Tsonga also retired.

The men's side is still all about Djoker, Murray, and Fed until someone else proves otherwise. However, the bottom just fell out of the lower half of the women's draw. Sloane Stephens has a golden opportunity to make the semifinals, and she needs to take advantage of it. Petra Kvitova, who won here in 2011, has a golden opportunity to make it out of her quarter and contend for the championship as well. The top half of the draw is more orderly still. Li Na and Radwanska figure to meet in their quarter, and Serena should sail smoothly to the semis unless Sam Stosur is able to invoke the spirit of the 2011 US Open final. She has hasn't done a heck of a lot since then, I must say.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Roger is on the ropes

yeah....looks like a meltdown. Sad. Who knows, maybe he will pull it out, but he is down a break in the fourth. They stopped jumping around so we can watch the match. Would be more fun if more of his shots went in....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Still, there's some great tennis in the match....sometimes I think that I am watching a doubles match minus two players :eek: with all the great net play

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Also discussed was the short duration of time between the French Open and Wimbledon leaving little time for players to adjust to playing on grass courts.
Wonder why there are so close together?? Surprised when I saw promo's on TV. I was like 'already? we just finished the French???'

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Roger back up a break and wins his game to take a 4-3 lead in the fourth.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I love Roger, but I think his time is done. I just don't see him winning another slam with his age, and the younger guys just better than he is. Well, specifically Djokavic.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I love Roger, but I think his time is done. I just don't see him winning another slam with his age, and the younger guys just better than he is. Well, specifically Djokavic.

I wonder if he will do a Björn Borg and retire while there was still a lot of wins in him. I remember being so disappointed when Borg called it quits. Used to love to watch him play.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Stakhovsky playing out of his mind...he is up a mini-break in the fourth set tie break. Some great tennis I must say

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Stick a fork in him, he's done....wow I can't believe it. Federer out in the second round in an amazing 4 set match 7-6 6-7 5-7 7-6

Congratulations to Stakhovsky

U

UCONNfan1

RFed is a total class act. One of the classiest guys on the circuit in my opinion. Never makes excuses, never badmouths anyone, but sadly I think his best days are behind him. I love watching him play and root like hell for him, but just can't see him winning another title. I wonder why so many big upsets this year? On both sides. The top seeds are falling like flies, as someone said earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom