Wimbledon 2013 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Wimbledon 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok, now I can be happy. :)
After a crappy weekend, it's nice to get a small morsel of happiness on a dreary Monday morning.

But that's the only gloating I'll do.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Frankly I was torn, because I don't want Serena to surpass
Venus' total. They are still 5 each.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sloane is the last countryperson we have. What do you say, tennis fans?
Sloane? Bartoli?, Kvitova? Lisicki or someone else to hold up the cup?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Also ESPN lists a 8pm show on Tues called ""9 for IX" about Venus, but I don't know the theme beyond the title.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I almost wrote a few days ago that Serena though winning didn't look comfortable on the grass; as if the game was going too fast and she didn't have time to set herself. Today, she was content to just keep the ball in play much of the time while Lisicky was going for it. And her serve didn't bail her out. First sign of tennis old-age? Seemed much more comfortable on clay.

I think it's too early to be claiming signs of tennis old-age. She just dominated the French Open a few weeks ago.

Lisicki played out of her mind and Williams didn't play her best. Lisicki took advantage of that and got the win. Congrats to her, though I am a Williams fan. This tournament is now wide open and I'm pulling for the remaining American.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Also ESPN lists a 8pm show on Tues called ""9 for IX" about Venus, but I don't know the theme beyond the title.
Is it the one about equal pay for prizes? I think there is going to be a doc about that.

U

UCONNfan1

Don't like Bartoli at all. She plays all kinds of games during a match. But Stevens, Kvitova, Lisicki, or even Li Na would all be fine with me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Like how in golf I root for the guys that support the Travelers, I am rooting for the defending New Haven winner - Kvitova.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The match was vintage Serena. Her best is better than any woman who has ever played, and by a fairly long way. She is, however, prone to occasional lapses that other greats like Graf and Navratilova didn't have.

I am rooting for either Sloan or Radwanska at this point.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I almost wrote a few days ago that Serena though winning didn't look comfortable on the grass; as if the game was going too fast and she didn't have time to set herself. Today, she was content to just keep the ball in play much of the time while Lisicky was going for it. And her serve didn't bail her out. First sign of tennis old-age? Seemed much more comfortable on clay.
If age is the issue, what was Sharapova's and Azarenka's excuse?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Today takes the cake on the ladies side
Li Na actually (sort of) won her match vs Radwanska
but lost because she neglected to challenge a shot that hit the line at set-point, but called out (1st set).
She then proceeded to lose the set in a tie-break, won the 2nd and lost the deciding 3rd.
Surely possible she would have won the match but for her restraint.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sloane fighting for her life -

lost the 1st set 6-3, was down 5-3 and just broke to get to 5-4.....now she has held for 5-5 !!

Go Sloane !!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Ugh........

Sloane was broken at love in her final service game, losing the second set 7-5, and with that the match.

:(

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sloane fighting for her life -

lost the 1st set 6-3, was down 5-3 and just broke to get to 5-4.....now she has held for 5-5 !!

Go Sloane !!!

Ugh........

Sloane was broken at love in her final service game, losing the second set 7-5, and with that the match.

and with that, I throw my support to Sabine Lisicki - I like her game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ugh........

Welp.. no need for me to watch any more of the women at Wimbledon this year..... on to Flushing Meadows.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Lisicki wins and advanced to the final!

Down 3-0 in the third, she battled back to close out 9-7. She's gutty!

I will be rooting for her in the final against Bartoli, who is somewhat annoying.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I will be rooting for her in the final against Bartoli, who is somewhat annoying.

Yeah...she was my choice, and I am glad that she won, but I don't like that she loses focus during the second set. I felt kinda bad for Radwanska.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Bartoli has an IQ of 175. That is pretty amazing! I like her and her quirkiness. I hope she takes the title.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I agree. I've seen her play and it's not just quirks, it's gamesmanship designed to throw the other player off. Not keen on it at all.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I like Bartoli, though I did not mind when she was crushed by Venus the last time the
French woman made the final.

And remember that historically we always root for the French over the Germans.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Meh- I always was fond of Steffi Graf and Boris Becker. I could get behind Lisicki.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
This morning's Djokavic/ Del Potro match was worthy of the best of finals. Tremendous
competitive striking. Happy to see that Juan is totally over his troublesome wrist, and that his
injury on Wednesday did not deter him.

Reaction Score
I agree. I've seen her play and it's not just quirks, it's gamesmanship designed to throw the other player off. Not keen on it at all.

what's wrong with a little gamesmanship? tennis needs all of that they can get. that said, GO SABINE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom