Wimbledon 2013 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wimbledon 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I wonder if he will do a Björn Borg and retire while there was still a lot of wins in him. I remember being so disappointed when Borg called it quits. Used to love to watch him play.

I recall Borg took a break. then 2 years after his loss, he asked for a wild card to play Wimbledon and was REFUSED. I never understood that.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I recall Borg took a break. then 2 years after his loss, he asked for a wild card to play Wimbledon and was REFUSED. I never understood that.

He was on the professional circuit in 81, then in 82 played one tourney which he lost (a minor one, not a slam), and then announced his Retirement in 83 which shocked the tennis world. I understand that he played in a minor tourney in early 83 and another in 84, but lost both.

He did try a comeback in the early 90s, but it was not successful.

Aside from Exhibitions, that's all they wrote for Mr Borg. Sad.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Federer loss was inconceivable. The man went nine years without missing a quarterfinal. There were definitely signs he was heading off a cliff when he put up little resistance against Tsonga in the French, but a loss like yesterday???

Whatever Fed does or doesn't do going forward, we were lucky to have him. If you look at the great athletes of the previous decade, most have been significantly besmirched (Tiger, Bonds, Lance). LeBron didn't really reach the prime of his career until this decade, Bolt straddled decades (and may not be clean in any event). That leaves Michael Phelps (whose greatness, though undeniable, didn't come into focus but once every four years) and Roger. Fed is was, and always will be, the freaking man.

And yes, go Andy! Win Wimbledon for GB so that we stop having to hear about it!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I wonder if he will do a Björn Borg and retire while there was still a lot of wins in him. I remember being so disappointed when Borg called it quits. Used to love to watch him play.
Borg had already essentially checked out when he was 25.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Borg had already essentially checked out when he was 25.

I know...it isn't the most perfect of comparisons. Yet Roger has a lot of great tennis in him as did Borg at the time of his retirement.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He was one of my favorites.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I think Federer has one more run in him. Remember Pete Sampras? Everyone was saying the same thing before he won his last US Open title. I am hoping Federer will win at least one more title before he calls it quits...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I think Federer has one more run in him. Remember Pete Sampras? Everyone was saying the same thing before he won his last US Open title. I am hoping Federer will win at least one more title before he calls it quits...

He actually said in the presser that followed the match that he has no plans to retire at this time. YAY! :D

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
As of my typing, 4 women are left, but no American men. Sloane Stephens is on the court now, after a lengthy rain delay. A new name to me, Alicia Riske, knocked out Radwanska the Younger earlier today.
Madison Keys plays tomorrow vs. Radwanska the Elder.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sloane is playing a Czech (Cetkovska) and has secured the 1st set in a breaker.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Then got bageled in set #2....:(

Guess they will start up again in the a.m.; good for SS to have time to regroup.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Then got bageled in set #2....:(

Guess they will start up again in the a.m.; good for SS to have time to regroup.

Yea...couldn't believe that she crashed so badly after fighting so hard in that first set. had she lost that set, then yeah, I would get it...but she won it.... hmmmm

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yea...couldn't believe that she crashed so badly after fighting so hard in that first set. had she lost that set, then yeah, I would get it...but she won it.... hmmmm
Not remotely the same scenario, but Steffi Graf won the 1995 US Open over Monica Seles, 7-6, 0-6, 6-3. Sometimes winning a tiebreak takes a lot of emotional energy and causes a loss of focus.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
One is reminded of her meltdown in the Fed cup vs Sweden, where Mary Jo Fernandez
scratched her for Venus, who was only scheduled in doubles.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
As of my typing, 4 women are left, but no American men. Sloane Stephens is on the court now, after a lengthy rain delay. A new name to me, Alicia Riske, knocked out Radwanska the Younger earlier today.
Madison Keys plays tomorrow vs. Radwanska the Elder.

Her name is Alison Riske, not Alicia.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Not remotely the same scenario, but Steffi Graf won the 1995 US Open over Monica Seles, 7-6, 0-6, 6-3. Sometimes winning a tiebreak takes a lot of emotional energy and causes a loss of focus.

I remember that! And as it happens, Ms. Stephens won the third set and advances to the round of 16. Good for her!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Madison Keys just started playing her match with Radwanska

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Sam Stosur went down today to Sabine Lisicki. All of a sudden, Serena and Petra Kvitova are the only women in the draw who have won a major.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
played good but not good enough... Keys lost :cool:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Madison Keys just started playing her match with Radwanska
...and lost in 3. The youngster seemed to run out of gas, but that's often the case among teens. Her conditioning will improve.

Alison Riske also couldn't handle another round, going down in 2. Still, as a qualifier, winning 2 rounds ain't chopped liver.

Sloane, however, has made it to the round of 16, overcoming an 0-6 2nd set to win the 3rd.
Serena is yet to come vs. the most interesting Kimiko Date-Krumm, a 42 year old(not a typing error) who has never played Serena. Kimiko's longevity is explained, in part, by being away from the sport for several years, and now this ancient Ms. has won 2 rounds.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Tommy Hass, another ancient at 35, has earned the round of 16.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Tommy Haas, another ancient at 35, has just earned a round-of-16 spot.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Commentators are not sure if Serena will play or where she will play tonight...Scheduled for Court 1, they may move her to Centre Court...not that it matters for the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom