Wichita State Postgame thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wichita State Postgame thread

Reaction Score
Tonight was Anna's breakout game. She deserves to be the 5th starter - plain-and-simple. Cant afford to get off to slow stars like tonight against good teams.
Yes, game turned around when she entered game.

Reaction Score
I was sitting behind the UCONN bench tonight and did not see Evina. Isn't she normally at home games? Did I miss something?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Multiple 10-0 runs by Wichita State at home just can't happen. The Shockers are ranked 135th by Massey. Now, perhaps had the Huskies not missed more than a dozen layups those runs wouldn't have happened. But missing layups--and by elite talents--has been a problem all year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I love this kid. Crystal gives the most thoughtful, sincere, articulate interviews.

I thought her analysis of the second half was very insightful. Basically, she was saying that UConn got a bit stagnant when WS got physical. She said they need to understand if WS takes away a few things, there are always other things you can take advantage of

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not the greatest game. Geno admitted as much when interviewed. But he knows this team is work in progress. He was VERY complimentary of Christyn and Crystal.

Yeah some awful lapses - can't let the lead go from 24 to 10 against a moderately crappy team like Wichita State. But not a single top 5 team has played a perfect 40 minute game this season. Not even 30 great minutes. Even top teams are struggling to consistently get 25-30 minutes of great basketball on a consistent basis.

We are used to seeing UCONN the well oiled machine. This year we are seeing UCONN the work in progress. Geno will have them as ready as they can be in March. But remember, this is our "rebuilding" year...!

Reaction Score
Again, this was a game where the first 10 minutes did not look like the second 10 minutes in each half. The only negative thing that I would say had nothing to do with this team. I stream ESPN3 and the streaming was absolutely terrible with constant restart of the play all during the game. Some times when the restart occurred, a team was heading back to their basket and we did not get a chance to see what happened before the interruption. Don't know if this was anyone else's experience but my wife and I were disappointed. So be it.

Reaction Score
Games like tonight will not beat Baylor SC or Oregon. 2nd halves against DePaul will not win those games either.

Are those teams you mentioned capable of having "games like tonight"...or is it only a UConn trait?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think alot of the uneven play we experience in comparison to the other elite teams may be due to our read / react system (I am no expert) where I imagine the entire team needs to 'see' the same things. With many new faces and even old faces playing far different roles, that is probably much harder than other systems which are more specific play (isolation / 2 man pic/roll etc) driven

In addition, we really do not have real defensive ball hawks like a Moriah or a Kia or a Gabby or a Pheesa or a Stewie or a Tuck that can handle one on one assignments against an elite scorer. Liv is the closest we have but she is still fighting that fine line of aggression vs fouls. Our defense again must be team based with everyone in sync. This can result in more difficulties at times.

So I will continue to expect more unevenness in our play but to greatly improve come April.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK but I never hear anyone say these things about any of those other teams. It's only UConn that has to win every game 100-48. Seems to be an unfair standard here.
Come on, its the Stewie, Tuck, and MoJeff standard that no one can let go of....

Reaction Score
Anna is the fifth starter, absolutely no doubt. The team plays much better when she’s on the court. Geno obviously likes having her in it. The core four scored 75 of 83 while the “bench” (aka Anna) scored the other 8.
The fifth starter needs to get 10-12 points 4-5 rebounds and plat D. We would dominate.

Reaction Score
And yet they weathered the storm and ended up winning comfortably. I think games like this are valuable. They show that they can withstand runs, get refocused, and win games when they are pushed. I don't think they will escape every time this year (too inconsistent) but I think by tournament time they will be battle tested and ready to go.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2. I didn't quite understand what Geno was doing with Aubrey's minutes in this particular game. She got into the game in the second quarter (later than I would have expected) and only played a few minutes before coming out. Then she didn't play again until Megan fouled out (at which point, with only a 10-point lead and over 6 minutes left in the game, a good performance from her was really needed). I don't get why Geno didn't find more minutes for her earlier in the game.
I think mostly she just hasn't got the offense yet. There seems to be a lot of times she's just standing there while everyone is running offense (cutting, setting screens, etc.) and she's trying to figure out what she's supposed to do. She just kind of bogs down the offense (half court offense that is). She can (doesn't always, but can) make up for it with her natural athleticism, getting rebounds and just making an athletic play, e.g. driving to the basket.

Reaction Score
@JoePgh I think Geno removed Aubrey in the second quarter because she put herself in his doghouse with a couple bad plays in succession. He did one of his turn around, talk to CD and Shea, then send someone to the scorers table right after that. At least that is what appeared to happen as I watched the game from my easy chair.
My easy chair had the same perspective

Reaction Score
Not the greatest game. Geno admitted as much when interviewed. But he knows this team is work in progress. He was VERY complimentary of Christyn and Crystal.

Yeah some awful lapses - can't let the lead go from 24 to 10 against a moderately crappy team like Wichita State. But not a single top 5 team has played a perfect 40 minute game this season. Not even 30 great minutes. Even top teams are struggling to consistently get 25-30 minutes of great basketball on a consistent basis.

We are used to seeing UCONN the well oiled machine. This year we are seeing UCONN the work in progress. Geno will have them as ready as they can be in March. But remember, this is our "rebuilding" year...!
Moderately crappy? (I agree) but how many more crappy are there? Mental lapses? When Wichita St got physical Uconn stagnated? This is the top team in the land and the Greatest Coach ever supposedly. How does a coach allow that to happen? I am critical when other coaches blame the players for "Lapses". The coach is he person in control during practices and in games. They had 4 timeouts not used. Wasn't that the time to stop the game and regroup??
Uconn talent for talent, player for player, was many magnitudes superior in all areas except with maybe the one Wichita St had--guts and determination. If this trend doesn't change immediately forget the Baylor game or Oregon game. Uconn teams of old with this much talent by the 10 minute mark would have been up by 20.

Reaction Score
I wish Geno would give Aubrey more minutes so she can develop. She has much, much more upside than the seniors. We need 6 players who can contribute. So its the Big 4 and 2 more. Thats assuming no injuries. Anna & Aubrey should be the 5th & 6th players.

Reaction Score
Too many mental lapses & "going through the motions" for long stretches last night. Only when the team was "pushed" (e.g., down early or in the 4th quarter) did the team shift up a gear. One thing I noticed with this team is a lack of "vocal" players - like a Katie Lou, Nurse, etc. Team is too quiet and nice. Need more yelling besides Geno.

Reaction Score
Come on, its the Stewie, Tuck, and MoJeff standard that no one can let go of....
No it's the Maya, Tina, Rene standard we hold teams to.

Reaction Score
Too many mental lapses & "going through the motions" for long stretches last night. Only when the team was "pushed" (e.g., down early or in the 4th quarter) did the team shift up a gear. One thing I noticed with this team is a lack of "vocal" players - like a Katie Lou, Nurse, etc. Team is too quiet and nice. Need more yelling besides Geno.
Typically true Mental Lapses happen when teams are tired. This team wasn't tired. It was the EXTREME physical play of Wichita St that got in their heads. That can't happen if this team is to do the FF/NC thing. Typically, Uconn has been for many seasons a "NICE" team. The PG and Captain should be the leaders on the floor, in that order. Dangerfield leads by example but needs o kick some tail when passes are bad, defense fails, scoring stagnates.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Again, this was a game where the first 10 minutes did not look like the second 10 minutes in each half. The only negative thing that I would say had nothing to do with this team. I stream ESPN3 and the streaming was absolutely terrible with constant restart of the play all during the game. Some times when the restart occurred, a team was heading back to their basket and we did not get a chance to see what happened before the interruption. Don't know if this was anyone else's experience but my wife and I were disappointed. So be it.
Those interruptions are annoying. Used to happen here quite frequently. Last night was fine though. We recently got an internet speed upgrade so I hope the interruptions are in the past. I don't believe that the broadcast is at fault, but the likely culprit is your reception of the broadcast.

Reaction Score
Happy moment for me was noting that when Megan fouled out & the outcome was a bit in question, Geno selected Aubrey. He knows. And now she knows for sure what he thinks about her. Then she came through nicely. Like others here, I love seeing her on the floor.

Also, ESPN3 came through nicely for me, fortunately.

Wilderness

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom