Wichita State Postgame thread | The Boneyard

Wichita State Postgame thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Wichita State game:
  • The post-holiday rust was evident for just about everyone. It seems there is a game like this just about every year after the holiday break.
  • I like that Wichita State plays an aggressive man defense, which should be good preparation for some of the challenges ahead on UConn’s schedule. UConn made several lazy passes and they paid a price for it.
  • I have this unshakable feeling that there will be a game, hopefully very soon, when Christyn will find her stroke, shoot lights out and go off for 30 or so. Right now, she doesn’t appear to be shooting in rhythm.
  • Geno is experimenting with various lineups and, while I hate to say it, the 5th starter is still something of a question mark imo.
  • Oh well, UConn is 11-0 and on to SMU.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Games like tonight will assure Uconn that they wont be #1 going into the tournament.

Reaction Score
  • The post-holiday rust was evident for just about everyone. It seems there is a game like this just about every year after the holiday break.
  • I like that Wichita State plays an aggressive man defense, which should be good preparation for some of the challenges ahead on UConn’s schedule. UConn made several lazy passes and they paid a price for it.
  • I have this unshakable feeling that there will be a game, hopefully very soon, when Christyn will find her stroke, shoot lights out and go off for 30 or so. Right now, she doesn’t appear to be shooting in rhythm.
  • Geno is experimenting with various lineups and, while I hate to say it, the 5th starter is still something of a question mark imo.
Anna is the fifth starter, absolutely no doubt. The team plays much better when she’s on the court. Geno obviously likes having her in it. The core four scored 75 of 83 while the “bench” (aka Anna) scored the other 8.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Games like tonight will assure Uconn that they wont be #1 going into the tournament.
A game like this won't change UConn's seeding in the least. All the Selection Committee will know about this game is that UConn beat Wichita St by 28 points. Only losses will change UConn's seeding.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
I think Christyn stayed really involved the whole game which is an excellent sign. Even if not scoring she had some good assists and rebounds. I’m with oldude thinking she’ll have a big scoring game soon.
When Megan fouled out & W State was getting uncomfortably close, I said to spouse OK we need Chrystyn to step up on offense right now. She scored about 10 points or so in the next few minutes.

Reaction Score
Wichita St has 15 players and nearly all gave a foul or 5. The game play was foul ONO early and often and do the same to Walker. No lay ups. use he European method foul to prevent a score. Frustrating and working for W.St. It took Uconn (again) out of sync and the game had little flow. Expect to see this again and again.
As Uconn is showing they lose heir poise in the 3rd quarter or 4th and make bad passes and to players that aren't there. Uncharacteristic of Uconn.
I said to the spouse: I guess Wichita didn't read Uconn's press notices. No fear in them. They knew they had no chance and nothing to lose. 2 terrific 3 point shooters on that team.
I agree on to SMU---this game has no meaning in he scheme of life, move on. Glad to see Aubrey get some good minutes if only after Walker fouled out.
The 5th starter isn't all that obscure. It is either Ania or Aubrey there are no other choices. It is not a long stretch to think he may use either on occasion or run either off he bench on occasion. The choices are limited and every coach in WCBB div 1 knows it. Geno in post game gave Christyn high praise for assists, rebounding. She had at least 13 not a bad night. I agree @oldude she will need to find that stroke to make the final run for the roses.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
???? You need to explain what you mean. How does a 28 point mid-season win assure UConn won't be #1 Tournament time?
Speaking for the rest of the NCAA, I guess. The other teams can’t be happy to hear UConn’s footsteps this “rebuilding” year.

Reaction Score
I guess this is the first time Megan was fouled out.
Not great but we won by 28 pts ...not bad also
I agree. 21 points is what any top Div one player would like to accomplish any night. Megan, I think was looking to foul out. Was it give Aubrey more time? Or was she banging W.St players for rough play??? She did hang on until the last couple of minutes.

Reaction Score
i encouraged by the fact CW did alot of her damage when the score got close. She stepped up in crunch time, stayed engaged in the other aspect and moved more on offense than the last 5 games. No slumping her head and very little hesitation. I sense she breathed a sigh of relief after this one.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
So if they beat Baylor, South Carolina, and Oregon you still wouldn't have them #1 going into the tournament?
Games like tonight will not beat Baylor SC or Oregon. 2nd halves against DePaul will not win those games either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom