Wichita State Postgame thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Wichita State Postgame thread

Reaction Score
I think alot of the uneven play we experience in comparison to the other elite teams may be due to our read / react system (I am no expert) where I imagine the entire team needs to 'see' the same things. With many new faces and even old faces playing far different roles, that is probably much harder than other systems which are more specific play (isolation / 2 man pic/roll etc) driven

In addition, we really do not have real defensive ball hawks like a Moriah or a Kia or a Gabby or a Pheesa or a Stewie or a Tuck that can handle one on one assignments against an elite scorer. Liv is the closest we have but she is still fighting that fine line of aggression vs fouls. Our defense again must be team based with everyone in sync. This can result in more difficulties at times.

So I will continue to expect more unevenness in our play but to greatly improve come April.
Top really good BB players, men or women, SEE what is given and take it. Please watch the videos of Paige B' she SEE's what is given her or her teammates and attacks or make the passes.
Geno is just asking top Basektball player to be Basketball players with read/react system. In any system when you are fouled a dozen times on each possession only tough tough kids can not let that get into their heads. Most things that are of a physical nature are corrected by seeing that and being pulled, pushed, dragged in practices--it's too late to find in a game you were not prepared for that. But who would have expected the extent Wichita St would take it or the Refs allow it.
Aubrey is a Frosh but she has the ability to be the "BALL HAWK:" you want. She is quick, has quick hands, can leap, is intelligent what she ISN"T is experienced in WCBB Div 1.

Reaction Score
Those interruptions are annoying. Used to happen here quite frequently. Last night was fine though. We recently got an internet speed upgrade so I hope the interruptions are in the past. I don't believe that the broadcast is at fault, but the likely culprit is your reception of the broadcast.
The funny thing is that we have 400 mps download and normally we usually watch ATT TV which has a nice package for us to stream at a modest price. In order to watch ESPN3, I switched to SLING. That is where this was happening.

Reaction Score
Uconn talent for talent, player for player, was many magnitudes superior in all areas except with maybe the one Wichita St had--guts and determination. If this trend doesn't change immediately forget the Baylor game or Oregon game. Uconn teams of old with this much talent by the 10 minute mark would have been up by 20.

What game were you watching? UConn was down 12-6 and then went on a 22-0 run. So up 16 at the beginning of the second quarter. So pretty much what you were looking for, right?

Reaction Score
The fifth started, IMO, had nothing to do with our slow start, it had more to do with the first 6 or 7 or 8 shots just not falling in. All were normal, uncontested shots that just didn't drop. The exact opposite happened for WS. Once our shots started going in, WS was stuck on 12 points for quite a long time and we raced right by them.
Plain and simple, I think Geno knows what he is doing...
you realize that if Anna had started those likely would have been her stats.

Reaction Score
A game like this won't change UConn's seeding in the least. All the Selection Committee will know about this game is that UConn beat Wichita St by 28 points. Only losses will change UConn's seeding.
It's quite likely that UConn will be a number one seed but will they be the number one overall seed is what I think that comment meant .... I think they have a chance because they're still finding their footing and will only get better and more cohesive.

Reaction Score
Speaking for the rest of the NCAA, I guess. The other teams can’t be happy to hear UConn’s footsteps this “rebuilding” year.
I do think that there were many who thought UConn would have a big dropoff this year, having lost KLS and Pheesa and with a short roster but they've been a big surprise to a lot of people, even some Boneyarders.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's quite likely that UConn will be a number one seed but will they be the number one overall seed is what I think that comment meant .... I think they have a chance because they're still finding their footing and will only get better and more cohesive.
I think it’s fairly straightforward. If UConn runs the table with wins over Baylor, SC & Oregon, they will be the #1 overall seed. It only gets more complicated if they lose a game.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I'd feel a whole lot better if Christyn played like "me time" begins at the start of the game. ;)

I wonder if the full schedule CW had this summer has had a little toll on her.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Okay, so who do we thank...you or your spouse?:)
All credit to Christyn for stepping up just when we needed her to. The game was getting out of hand and they won comfortably in large part because her spurt changed the momentum. Great players seem to have a feel for doing that, and she is on her way to becoming a great player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t think so. She’s young and healthy. It just looks to me that Christyn is thinking a little too much at times. When she just reads and reacts in the flow of the game, she’s a tremendous talent.

She missed a number of 3-pt shots earlier in the game when she seemed to hesitate prior to shooting. At the end of the game, Aubrey came down with a rebound in the lane and fired a pass out to Christyn at the top of the key. Christyn caught the ball and shot all in one swift motion hitting nothing but net. I’m looking for more of that.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

These kids are young. Liv had an even more intense schedule beyond overseas play, she spend the summer in Storrs working on her game and body and she looks as fresh as a daisy

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Wichita State may not realize it but they may have ignited a fire in CW by making the game close in the fourth quarter, a fire that has been missing, and she may go on from here and play to her potential.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
you realize that if Anna had started those likely would have been her stats.
What does that even mean? Kyla, the fifth starter, I think only took 1 shot, a missed 3 point attempt, but made quite a few passes and screens. And actually played defense. Especially on a breakaway, she yelled to a UConn player on her right to get on the WS player nearing the 3 point line. The UConn player hesitated and the WS put in an uncontested 3 pointer.
Kyla as a starter is not there just because of her offense, I am guessing.

Reaction Score
???? You need to explain what you mean. How does a 28 point mid-season win assure UConn won't be #1 Tournament time?

That same kind of inconsistent effort against Baylor/USC/Oregon leads to a 20 pt loss

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The funny thing is that we have 400 mps download and normally we usually watch ATT TV which has a nice package for us to stream at a modest price. In order to watch ESPN3, I switched to SLING. That is where this was happening.
that is terrible. Sorry my friend.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That same kind of inconsistent effort against Baylor/USC/Oregon leads to a 20 pt loss
Sorry. Sports is about matchups, and that is how the result of games between these teams are determined. Not head to head against other teams, nor how any team looks on any given day. Each of the teams you've mentioned have shown inconsistencies of effort and application against weaker teams than the one UConn played last night.

For me there was one terrific bright spot last night that can and will be a factor against the teams you've mentioned. That was the performance of CW once Meg left the game. Christyn just became a dog, making the shots she was supposed to make, shots she shouldn't have made, and was a beast on the boards. Some may not have liked UConn's execution last night, but when CW plays like she did the entire offense opens up like a flower.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The issue as always is teams playing their 'A' game, and so far this season there are only Uconn, Oregon State, NC State, and UCLA in the top 10 ranking that have played enough of their 'A' game in each of their contests to not lose. So Baylor, SC, and Oregon have already proven to be incapable of playing anything close to an 'A' game at least once.
And of note:
Oregon has played zero away games
Baylor has played two away games
SC has played four away games
Uconn has played six
The first three all lost on neutral courts, Uconn has yet to lose and has played as many away games as the other three combined.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The issue as always is teams playing their 'A' game, and so far this season there are only Uconn, Oregon State, NC State, and UCLA in the top 10 ranking that have played enough of their 'A' game in each of their contests to not lose. So Baylor, SC, and Oregon have already proven to be incapable of playing anything close to an 'A' game at least once.
And of note:
Oregon has played zero away games
Baylor has played two away games
SC has played four away games
Uconn has played six
The first three all lost on neutral courts, Uconn has yet to lose and has played as many away games as the other three combined.
Facts + Appropriate Context=The Truth.

Reaction Score
What game were you watching? UConn was down 12-6 and then went on a 22-0 run. So up 16 at the beginning of the second quarter. So pretty much what you were looking for, right?

Reaction Score
Sorry. Sports is about matchups, and that is how the result of games between these teams are determined. Not head to head against other teams, nor how any team looks on any given day. Each of the teams you've mentioned have shown inconsistencies of effort and application against weaker teams than the one UConn played last night.

For me there was one terrific bright spot last night that can and will be a factor against the teams you've mentioned. That was the performance of CW once Meg left the game. Christyn just became a dog, making the shots she was supposed to make, shots she shouldn't have made, and was a beast on the boards. Some may not have liked UConn's execution last night, but when CW plays like she did the entire offense opens up like a flower.
@JordyG With all due respect to you---Wasn't Wichita St a 135 ranked team?? I don't follow Baylor or Oregon so I'm asking how many 135 or lower ranked teams have Oregon, SC, or Baylor played??
While what you say about any given day is totally true, any team can be great or terrible on that day. Better teams even after having one terrible day usually have a standard pretty good game they play especially Uconn. Me and others have concern for the stinker game when it hurts more than W.st.
Christyn Williams like Aubrey now, has been one I had belief in since she arrived. Her potential to break open a game has been proven against ND. She tends to hold back for upper classmen last year and this. So it was not unexpected, to me at least, to she her go off on W. St when Megan went out. To me that was CW being CW. But never the less nice to see. Her potential full potential is untapped. I believe Geno knows if she ever fully "gets it" she won't be stopped.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Some concern for me, Geno looked uncomfortable to me, hope he recovers quickly.
He said he was uncomfortable with the quality of basketball being played at certain times by the home team. I think that is probably what you saw.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some concern for me, Geno looked uncomfortable to me, hope he recovers quickly.

He looked tired to me in the pre game presser but looked fine to me during the game and in the post game presser. No problems here. :D

JordyG

Reaction Score
@JordyG With all due respect to you---Wasn't Wichita St a 135 ranked team?? I don't follow Baylor or Oregon so I'm asking how many 135 or lower ranked teams have Oregon, SC, or Baylor played??
While what you say about any given day is totally true, any team can be great or terrible on that day. Better teams even after having one terrible day usually have a standard pretty good game they play especially Uconn. Me and others have concern for the stinker game when it hurts more than W.st.
Christyn Williams like Aubrey now, has been one I had belief in since she arrived. Her potential to break open a game has been proven against ND. She tends to hold back for upper classmen last year and this. So it was not unexpected, to me at least, to she her go off on W. St when Megan went out. To me that was CW being CW. But never the less nice to see. Her potential full potential is untapped. I believe Geno knows if she ever fully "gets it" she won't be stopped.
Take a look at Long Beach State's ranking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom