Wichita St. to AAC Next Year (Officially Official) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wichita St. to AAC Next Year (Officially Official)

Reaction Score
My guess is they will only share BB revenue, not FB revenue. I guess it means Aresco is now determined to convert the AAC into the Old Big East II, and we all know what a disaster that ultimately became.
It offsets Navy which is only a football member

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Or....they've made 3 Sweet 16s in the past 11 years.

I love when people use easy-to-spot manipulations of data. Way too easy... :eek:

EDIT: They've also made the round of 32 in the last 5 consecutive years. But you know...that doesn't help your story...

Dan, the point of my comment is that they have no history of success.

You're adding a permanent member to your athletic league based on the past 5+ years of running a successful program.

When UConn is sending it's all of its athletic programs to nowhere Kansas in 5 years to a Wichita State sans Gregg Marshall how good is this addition going to look?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
After we drop football and join the A10 for olympic sports in 2025, we will look back fondly on those rivalry games with WSU.

Reaction Score

You're adding a permanent member to your athletic league based on the past 5+ years of running a successful program.

When UConn is sending it's all of its athletic programs to nowhere Kansas in 5 years to a Wichita State sans Gregg Marshall how good is this addition going to look?

We are already sending our athletic programs to Tulsa and Houston and Tulane.

They have no choice but to improve this basketball league. I have no idea why you are making such a big deal about this. The situation stinks and everyone knows it. Whether WSU stinks in 5 years if Marshall leaves is irrelevant. They are the best of bad options and instantly improve basketball next year.

Anyone who sat in Hartford for the AAC Tournaments in 2015 and 2017 knows how much the basketball league stinks. And the fact the champ both those years, SMU, bowed out Round 1 in the NCAA's proves it.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

How much time is required to show the "permanent" success of a program?

Is it since 2006, which Wichita State can show? Or is it 1990 like us? Or does it have to include someone in 1940 with shorts that look like Speedos?

For me, we are gaining a top 25 program into our conference; something that we desperately need for our RPI. There is minimal downside to the add. What little money they will cost the conference, they will easily make up in NCAA credits and the possibility of getting more teams in along with them from the conference. There is no reason to hate this move. We can hate the conference that we're stuck in, but this move undeniably makes the conference better...

Reaction Score

Yup, they have zero basketball history. Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, and Xavier McDaniel never existed. You are the only person on the planet who looks at the AAC as a bastion of higher learning and as for temporary fit, the entire conference is a temporary fit of mismatched schools. Adding the best available basketball school is basically the first good thing that's happened to this conference.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Or....they've made 3 Sweet 16s in the past 11 years.

I love when people use easy-to-spot manipulations of data. Way too easy... :eek:

EDIT: They've also made the round of 32 in the last 5 consecutive years. But you know...that doesn't help your story...

UConn's only made 5 Final Fours in the last 100 years.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yes, this is a SHORT TERM fix. The idea is that we are only in the AAC for the SHORT TERM, so we need to improve our standing in the SHORT TERM. That means more quality opponents, better wins, and higher seedings.

If we're in this crappy conference long term, then we're f-----.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yup, they have zero basketball history. Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, and Xavier McDaniel never existed. You are the only person on the planet who looks at the AAC as a bastion of higher learning and as for temporary fit, the entire conference is a temporary fit of mismatched schools. Adding the best available basketball school is basically the first good thing that's happened to this conference.

They had 3 NBA journey men that played there 30 years ago? Wow!

Again, you keep saying temporary, but it's not temporary. This is our league and unless you know something we all don't I'd hesitate to think otherwise.

It'll be cool to play them over Tulane or ECU while they are ranked next season, I'm just concerned when it stops we'll have another albatross around our neck.

Reaction Score

Again, you keep saying temporary, but it's not temporary. This is our league and unless you know something we all don't I'd hesitate to think otherwise.

It'll be cool to play them over Tulane or ECU while they are ranked next season, I'm just concerned when it stops we'll have another albatross around our neck.
The whole conference is a short term fix, you try and make it as palatable as possible while we are here.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
What don't you understand about adding a team that a) nobody cares about b) in an area nobody lives in c) that's located halfway across the country.

I mean, hey, anytime you can the 3rd most popular program in Kansas in combination with the 3rd most popular program in Oklahoma you just gotta do it.
You don't really have a right to argue that no one cares about Wichita State and that they are in the middle of nowhere.
UConn is in Storrs, Connecticut. Does anyone really care about us or live in Storrs, Connecticut?
Location is overstated. They are a very good basketball program, projected to be top 10 next season. That's all I or anybody should care about.
Yes the AAC sucks, blah blah blah. No one likes it. But we'll take what we can get at this point.

Reaction Score

Be careful if we don't make some good decisions soon, we will be that albatross.

Reaction Score
We are a mid major. Deal with it yall.

More like we're a P5 level university (much moreso than a bunch of other current P5 bottom-feeders) trapped in a mid-major conference.

As for Wichita State, adding them doesn't hurt us any more than where we or this makeshift conference already are.

Reaction Score
So when Wichita regresses to the mean, which I think is a lot more likely to happen then them staying as a Top 15 Ken Pom darling, we'll have another Tulsa on our hands.

Just great.
Like UConn is regressing to the mean?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut and Wichita State University in the same conference.

Unbelievable.

We already have East Carolina and Memphis (was Memphis State). What's the difference. I think this is a great move for the league.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Totally wrong. Each of the last theee coaches has taken them to the sweet 16. They had great teams and players in the 80s? Remember Xaver McDaniel? They have a great following, and when UConn plays there the place will be rocking, unlike the tombs we usually visit. They have a great baseball program too. You're just an east coast snob, be honest.

Reaction Score
At this point it seems there'd have to be some kind of MAJOR change of heart on one or both sides for it not to happen. There isn't this much smoke if it's not already effectively a done deal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're right I suppose it hasn't been announced but from what Rothstein and others say, it's as good as done.

It will happen - likely this week.

But still.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Can we change the title of this thread so I can enjoy my last few hours of pretending we aren't sharing a conference with that clown school?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom