Wichita St. to AAC Next Year (Officially Official) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wichita St. to AAC Next Year (Officially Official)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This means 3 ranked teams and if uconn get healthy and situated 4. Means more teams in the tourney. We better have home and home with Wichita Cinci and Amy. This is great for the conference. Hopefully in 3 years we're in the Acc

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
This means 3 ranked teams and if uconn get healthy and situated 4. Means more teams in the tourney. We better have home and home with Wichita Cinci and Amy. This is great for the conference. Hopefully in 3 years we're in the Acc
How do you think Amy's parents will feel about a home and home with the entire UConn men's basketball team?

Reaction Score
What don't you understand about adding a team that a) nobody cares about b) in an area nobody lives in c) that's located halfway across the country.

I mean, hey, anytime you can the 3rd most popular program in Kansas in combination with the 3rd most popular program in Oklahoma you just gotta do it.
Your takes in this thread are unbelievably stupid.

Reaction Score
Anyone worried about one more mouth to feed needs to realize how putrid the conference payout is. This is going to cost each school like $5ok. They'll more than make up for that if they make the NCAA tournament once in the next six years.

Exactly. We are screwed either way in terms of payout. An extra 200k is going to save the program?

The fact that we in a conference where Wichita State is an upgrade is very depressing but that doesn't change that Wichita State is an upgrade.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I would much prefer not be affiliated with a school being floated by the Koch brothers.

OMG JSMH
But if it were George Soros?????
Lol

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Penning in...2 more losses right there. Head bang

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Your takes in this thread are unbelievably stupid.

1) In the past 40 years Wichita State has made 4 Sweet 16s.
2) They play in a nothing market.
3) They have the 3rd least following in a state with around 500,000 less people than Connecticut.
4) They are a bad academic fit.
5) They are halfway across the country from UConn.

They only benefits?
1) Gregg Marshall.

You want to add a program to our already garbage conference of misfits based on the fact they could be good at basketball the next few seasons.

It's a completely short sighted add, right up there in stupidity next to Tulane, Tulsa and East Carolina.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut and Wichita State University in the same conference.

Unbelievable.

Also add East Carolina, Tulsa and Tulane to that list. We played ECU in a Christmas tournament in Storrs my junior year at UCONN. I had never heard of the school prior to then.

Reaction Score
2) They play in a nothing market.
3) They have the 3rd least following in a state with around 500,000 less people than Connecticut.
4) They are a bad academic fit.
5) They are halfway across the country from UConn.

They only benefits?
1) Gregg Marshall.

You want to add a program to our already garbage conference of misfits based on the fact they could be good at basketball the next few seasons.

It's a completely short sighted add, right up there in stupidity next to Tulane, Tulsa and East Carolina.

If they stay a top 25 program for most of the next decade it's a good deal. As a worst case scenario, we can cut the dead weight when the Big XII implodes by joining up with their leftovers in the Big XII or a totally new conference.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
The NCAA tournament win-shares from adding Wichita surely outweight the 1/11 of the pennies we lose in cutting a non-football school into the TV deal, no?

My guess is they will only share BB revenue, not FB revenue. I guess it means Aresco is now determined to convert the AAC into the Old Big East II, and we all know what a disaster that ultimately became.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
The Frankenstein conference is continuing its journey. No longer about good academic schools... no longer about markets... no longer about improving the football side to get a bigger contract heading forward. This only looks good on paper.

Looks good on paper? Toilet paper, maybe.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I doubt we will have home and homes with WSU, SMU (or AMY), Houston or any other school that will be in the west (Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis). A large part of this is to have two six school divisions. Logically WSU will have the same role in hoops that Navy had in football (sixth western division member).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Or....they've made 3 Sweet 16s in the past 11 years.

I love when people use easy-to-spot manipulations of data. Way too easy... :eek:

EDIT: They've also made the round of 32 in the last 5 consecutive years. But you know...that doesn't help your story...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The NCAA tournament win-shares from adding Wichita surely outweight the 1/11 of the pennies we lose in cutting a non-football school into the TV deal, no?

Sad to say, our contract is so pitiful, this is seriously the case.

Cincy and SMU combined brought UConn an estimated $450K for the three games they appeared in. If WSU makes it to the sweet sixteen, that's about $455K to UConn, an EE is $610K and a FF is about $715K.

If my math is correct, current deal is $126 mill over 7 years, or $18 mill per year to the AAC. Divided by 11 schools, that's about $1.63 mill each. Divided by 12 schools, that's about $1.5 mill each, although I'd guess WSU wouldn't get a full cut anyway. So at most it costs UConn $130K per year - or less than one measly NCAA tournament win credit.

Reaction Score
Dayton
Vcu
i can see them adding these schools if this works out, and if the programs maintain success with their new coaches

Really? The A-10 is better than the AAC, come on. Our top seed in the NCAA Tournament since Louisville left, is a 5, and this year we had 2 teams that were 59-9 combined and could get no better than a 6 seed. They proved to be seeded to high, as both exited prematurely.

Reaction Score
This means 3 ranked teams and if uconn get healthy and situated 4. Means more teams in the tourney.

I'd like to think that it means more teams in the tourney, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. There is no way the Power 5 members on the committee are going to allow the AAC to get more teams in the tourney. WSU will just be taking a spot from someone else. The AAC regular season and tourney champ with 4 losses and on a huge win streak got a 6 seed for crying out loud. Just the way it is in a mid-major conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom