Why no talk of death penalty for Penn State? | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Why no talk of death penalty for Penn State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The more I see of this, the more I am convinced that PSU can't win by playing football this season. They aleady are subject to microscopic scutiny and it will only intensify as the season gets underway. How do you motivate at team to deal with that? To fight for the legacy of a fallen icon who allowed a pedofile to stay on the prowl? For a program and university tarred by that perception? It will be awful.

More and more I come to the conclusion that the right thing to do and the best thing to do for the University is to not take the field this season. And yes, that is a terrible purden for the players.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Heard a good point on the radio. Sandusky was the top assistant at a high profile successful program. He was the force behind Linebacker U. How come he never got a head coaching gig? Was he ever offered? Why not? Had the word gotten out?

I have been saying this since the scandal first broke. Sandusky was the top defensive coordinator in the country for over a decade, and never got a sniff at a head coaching gig. PSU's administrators were not the only ones that knew about this.

Reaction Score
Penn state could probably hurt its football program more in the long term if they dont self impose a year ban. I would have to believe thatduring every away game this year the opposing teams fans will give Penn state hell. Can you imagine the affect it would have on future Penn state recruits if they watched an away game where the crowd is in unison chanting pedophile or something along those line. How many recruits would want to play for a team who will be known to all of college football (and non football fans) outside of PA as Pedophile State. Gotta believe it would hurt their recruiting big time if they played next year

Reaction Score
Penn State will not cancel the season and no one should really expect them to. No school would ever self impose a death penalty. That said they can give themselves a post season ban and remove the statue and the Paterno name from everything at the school. They could even change the uniform as a symbolic cleansing, the black and white uniform is no longer a symbol of purity and a humble school, it is the symbol of blind leadership.

Reaction Score
I have been saying this since the scandal first broke. Sandusky was the top defensive coordinator in the country for over a decade, and never got a sniff at a head coaching gig. PSU's administrators were not the only ones that knew about this.

I don't know I posted a link from 1999 from SI. He reportedly turned three jobs, the last being Maryland. Supposedly he was holding out to be Paterno's successor. Could all be B/S though, everything about PSU seems to be just that.

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The BOT is hell bent on only making the minimal changes to allow this to blow over.

That strategy worked for Cardinal Ratzinger. And he got promotion out of the deal!

Reaction Score
I think Penn State will itself decide to pull the plug on football for at least some period of time. Anything short of that will leave Penn State's current leaders open to criticism that they have failed to recognize the gravity of the situation and again compromised for the benefit of the football program. Renovating the locker rooms is a joke and leaving JoePa memorabilia in place is not acceptable in my opinion. While I would have expected more decisive action by now, too many people are watching for the University leaders not to realize that their only move is to take the highest road on their own accord.

I would be shocked if PSU pulled the plug on itself! Their football program is way too important to them to even consider the idea. They will do other things to appease everyone, like renovating the showers (almost insulting if it's the only action taken). They will likely measure the negative sentiment and if great enough, take down the statue of their former "saint", JoePa. Again, not a major move. They may go further still, but rest assured, it will NOT be giving up a football season!

How do you think PSU was able to accomplish two major things these past few months. They raised a near record amount in donations AND they recruited one of their best classes in quite some time. Do you think these would have happened of you had the coaches or university representatives communicating that things could get ugly and that the NCAA may come down on them heavily? No, instead they likely minimized the situation or talked about how isolated it was. Actions committed by just one man and all, a coach who is no longer there and has been dealt with. Do you think that they would have attracted all of these recruits if they were telling them that there was the chance of serious program restrictions being imposed? In my mind, up until the report was made public, I think they were continuing on with the same mindset which has been present since the beginning....and that is what's truly sad!!

Reaction Score
I don't know..........this thing just seems to be spiralling in a way that most did not expect. Again, I thought the Freeh report was much about what was widely understood to be the case. That it has unleashed hell's furry tells me that this thing has a very long life and that if PSU takes the field this season the program and the University is going to be in a world of hurt.

Your probably right, they would never pull the plug on a season, but I really wonder if they should.

Reaction Score
Step 1 - take down that god forsaken statue symbolizing ignorance

Until that thing us down, sad fact is PSU isn't going to do a single thing beyond what they are handed. For all the right steps the trustees did when all hell broke loose, the alumni base are driving the next decision given the surge of donations. It's pathetic and sad what has become of this situation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Step 1 - take down that god forsaken statue symbolizing ignorance

Another suggestion I liked, keep the statue but turn it around. To symbolize the way Joe Pa turned his backs on all those kids that got raped

Reaction Score
Very interesting. It remains to be seen if anyone with authority, be it the Dept of Education, or the NCAA (less them) will have the cojones to give PSU their just deserts. According to that report, if the Dept of Education drops the hammer, then the NCAA could strip PSU of their division 1 status. That would be something to see.

What report? You mean the wildass musings of a lunatic?

When E. Michigan was caught covering up murders on campus by a murderer who part of the student body (leaving him at large among the student population), it paid $300k in violation of the Clery Act. That's point #1.

Point #2, the DOE is supporting student loans and pell grants for students to schools with a grad rate of 5% with CEO's at the helm earning $35 million a year, with a default rate on those loans of over 60%.

Point #3, 50,000 students attend PSU. Without aid, what happens to the vast majority of students? You want tens of thousands of Pennsylvanians to end their educations at PSU? Why?

Point #4, 50% of PSU's yearly billion dollar research budget comes through DOD, including the nuclear facilities on campus and weaponry. Many thousands of grad students are supported by that money, but these students are also supplemented by gov't grants and loans.

Let's face it: ending student loans and pell grants to PSU students is wacky. Beyond that, the precedent for a Clery Act violation of the vilest sort (c0vering murders) is $300k. Let's say they make it 5x worse. This clearly wouldn't even be the big concern.

Reaction Score
Sharing a CNN story on PSU culture:“@29sonski: Long but interesting read: The woman who stood up to Joe Paterno http://post original url/uwNwjOMr #UConn connection”

I copied Onevof the mentions of UConn Football and FHCRE (imho, this was one of the strengths that RE brought to the program) and portrays UConn In a positive manner.

>>Vicky Triponey grew up in a working-class household and was the first person in her family to attend college. Her father was a rabid Penn State football fan, but she chose to go to the University of Pittsburgh, commonly known as Pitt. She got her bachelor's degree in psychology and continued with post-graduate studies, pursuing a career in higher education. She earned her doctorate at the University of Virginia.

She worked at several colleges and universities before encountering her mentor, James Rhatigan, who developed the division of student affairs at Wichita State University. Rhatigan introduced her to Mike Meacham, a young man who had been student body president and worked for the alumni association. They married 21 years ago.

She left Wichita in 1998 for the University of Connecticut, where she helped coach Randy Edsall build up the football program. Edsall, who is now head coach at the University of Maryland, told CNN that they worked hard to ensure that football players lived by the same rules as other students.

"We always taught our guys they weren't better than somebody else," Edsall said. "My whole thing was, we told our guys up front that there was a student code of conduct they had to adhere to. If they violated it, there would be consequences."

Penn State recruited Triponey in 2003. She quickly figured out she was the leading candidate when the university brought on its A game for her interview. Her campus visit coincided with the weekend of "The Thon," a popular dance marathon that students hold to raise money for charity.<<

There is another mention towards the tail-end of the article.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The reason Penn state won't cancel even a single game:

$.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
What report? You mean the wildass musings of a lunatic?

When E. Michigan was caught covering up murders on campus by a murderer who part of the student body (leaving him at large among the student population), it paid $300k in violation of the Clery Act. That's point #1.

Point #2, the DOE is supporting student loans and pell grants for students to schools with a grad rate of 5% with CEO's at the helm earning $35 million a year, with a default rate on those loans of over 60%.

Point #3, 50,000 students attend PSU. Without aid, what happens to the vast majority of students? You want tens of thousands of Pennsylvanians to end their educations at PSU? Why?

Point #4, 50% of PSU's yearly billion dollar research budget comes through DOD, including the nuclear facilities on campus and weaponry. Many thousands of grad students are supported by that money, but these students are also supplemented by gov't grants and loans.

Let's face it: ending student loans and pell grants to PSU students is wacky. Beyond that, the precedent for a Clery Act violation of the vilest sort (c0vering murders) is $300k. Let's say they make it 5x worse. This clearly wouldn't even be the big concern.

I remember the EMU thing, but was it covered up for at least twelve years? I believe in the end nothing will happen to PSU because they are part of the too big to fail crowd.

Reaction Score
Replace the statue with the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" statue, but instead of chimps use Paterno's bust.

Reaction Score
I remember the EMU thing, but was it covered up for at least twelve years? I believe in the end nothing will happen to PSU because they are part of the too big to fail crowd.

It was uncovered immediately. The President, like the PSU president, thought nothing of putting others in danger. The DOE might determine that PSU is worse than EMU, or it might not, but given the amount of Clery penalties, it probably isn't PSU's biggest concern. Nonetheless, thought the columnist was way out of line for suggesting academic penalties.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They won't cancel any thing but should self impose some kind of penalty. Not sure they will but they should.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was uncovered immediately. The President, like the PSU president, thought nothing of putting others in danger. The DOE might determine that PSU is worse than EMU, or it might not, but given the amount of Clery penalties, it probably isn't PSU's biggest concern. Nonetheless, thought the columnist was way out of line for suggesting academic penalties.

Just curious of your motivation. Your defense must be exhausting. Why? This is one tiny site on a never ending internet of people criticizing PSU - some rightly and some wrongly. What's the point?

Reaction Score
Lets remember one thing here. The Freeh report was the internal PSU report. Do you think this gets better during civil litigation and discovery? I doubt it and that tells me its far from over although the apologists are doing everything they can to keep the football program from harms way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom