Why no talk of death penalty for Penn State? | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Why no talk of death penalty for Penn State?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Penn State will not cancel the season and no one should really expect them to. No school would ever self impose a death penalty. That said they can give themselves a post season ban and remove the statue and the Paterno name from everything at the school. They could even change the uniform as a symbolic cleansing, the black and white uniform is no longer a symbol of purity and a humble school, it is the symbol of blind leadership.

First off it's Blue and White and I still have only one conflict with this whole thing. I don't know how they can take his name off the wing of the library with his name. It was his donations that built that wing. They didn't name after him because he was the coach, they named it after him because of his donations. I agree that no one should expect PSU to stop their football program. I've been saying all along that the only way to get football to stop, like it should, is for the NCAA to put a stop to it. Not sure what grounds they wanna go on but I'm sure they can figure it out. I just feel that the fans, alumni, and students just don't get the concept or severity of this whole thing. I really believe that they think that coming out 5-0 next season will just erase all of this and they'll just move on. They need to be shown otherwise and a ban of some kind is the only way to do this. Agree also that Paterno's statue needs to come down as well.

Reaction Score
Just curious of your motivation. Your defense must be exhausting. Why? This is one tiny site on a never ending internet of people criticizing PSU - some rightly and some wrongly. What's the point?

Yes, it's been noted that I'm commenting in this thread. Maybe because I have a degree from PSU. Why are you commenting? Seems to me you commented on the article.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You need to smoke some weed. I mean medical mary jane.

Because I figure someone on this site would make a ridiculous statement? Makes sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, it's been noted that I'm commenting in this thread. Maybe because I have a degree from PSU. Why are you commenting? Seems to me you commented on the article.

I just can't figure out what it is you are trying to accomplish? You've posted 25,000+ words defending Penn State in the last 9 months. Can you just not accept reality?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just can't figure out what it is you are trying to accomplish? You've posted 25,000+ words defending Penn State in the last 9 months. Can you just not accept reality?

I'll take this one - "I'm not defending Penn State. You obviously missed my 3rd post from four threads ago where I said something that could be construed as a criticism."

Reaction Score
I was listening to Mike Salk on ESPN radio on Saturday night and I thought he had a great idea. Mark Emmert (read the NCAA) should approach the school and advise self-imposing a one year ban of football, this allows Penn State to show it is willing to really hold itself responsible for its lack of institutional control and grandiose cult of football. If not, the NCAA imposes the death penalty indefinately. Maybe the ban would be one year, maybe five, maybe Penn State would never play football again.

I don't feel bad for that school in the least or the people who are caught in the crosshairs. Collateral damage is a part of penalties, but penalties are a necessary part of life. Sure all the students and alumni weren't responsible for Penn State's wrongdoings, but they certainly had a hand in the creation of a culture that allowed Paterno and company authority they had no business possessing.

Reaction Score

And what are you trying to accomplish? Here we go round and round. What is it I'm not accepting?

Reaction Score
I'll take this one - "I'm not defending Penn State. You obviously missed my 3rd post from four threads ago where I said something that could be construed as a criticism."

Let's face it Waquoit. I'm a PSU alum, so in your eyes I'm guilty. That's about the depth of your critical capabilities.

Reaction Score
Another suggestion I liked, keep the statue but turn it around. To symbolize the way Joe Pa turned his backs on all those kids that got raped
they should tar and feather the statue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And what are you trying to accomplish? Here we go round and round. What is it I'm not accepting?

Nothing. The whole world but some PSU types seem to get this: They are all guilty, all belong in jail and Paterno is most guilty because he was your King.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I have been saying this since the scandal first broke. Sandusky was the top defensive coordinator in the country for over a decade, and never got a sniff at a head coaching gig. PSU's administrators were not the only ones that knew about this.
This isn't proof that others knew of his atrocities. Sandusky was just smart enough to know that he was in the perfect position to continue performing these horrible acts while others turned the other way. He had to turn down other offers, because otherwise everything could have come unglued much sooner.

Reaction Score
Nothing. The whole world but some PSU types seem to get this: They are all guilty, all belong in jail and Paterno is most guilty because he was your King.

And how is that relevant to anything I've said?

Reaction Score
Because I figure someone on this site would make a ridiculous statement? Makes sense.
Because you can't take jokes. Your frustration shows. How about them Whalers?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because you can't take jokes. Your frustration shows. How about them Whalers?

I can take jokes, I figured you missed the fact I made a joke.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And how is that relevant to anything I've said?

It's relevant in the simplest sense. There is no defense, but you have somehow managed to try to defend
Penn State for 9 months, and all you do is constantly deflect like in the quoted post.

I will stop reading for your sake - but why? Why do you have tens of thousands of words posted in defense.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't see stopping the university from doing it's core jobs, education and research, there is just too much collateral damage. I can see stopping the university from doing the thing that they sacrificed the well being of children to protect - football. There's no need to nuke the place, the NCAA death penalty, civil suits and criminal actions ought to be enough.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't think the B1G is dropping PSU, but if they did I can't see them pick up us while we're the poster boy for NCAA sanctions. It would be Rutgers. I just threw a little bit in my mouth just typing that but they'd be the choice.

Reaction Score
I don't think the B1G is dropping PSU, but if they did I can't see them pick up us while we're the poster boy for NCAA sanctions. It would be Rutgers. I just threw a little bit in my mouth just typing that but they'd be the choice.

Nah... Didn't you hear that Snookie is going to the Big 12?

“@BigEastDaily: NCAA Football: Will Rutgers Apply for Membership in Big 12 Conference? http://post original url/LtIHrl5l”

:)

CL82

Reaction Score
They won't cancel any thing but should self impose some kind of penalty. Not sure they will but they should.
Self imposed post season ban? I could see that being a contingency if there was enough pressure. No more than that though, at least not willingly.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Self imposed post season ban? I could see that being a contingency if there was enough pressure. No more than that though, at least not willingly.

That's about it if anything at all. Their perception is horrible but they are having a great recruiting class. I guess the recruits don't care.

Reaction Score
Anything short of shutting down their football program for at least one one season is not enough.

Sad to say, but in this day and age, it's the most meaningful measure out there.

Reaction Score
Sorry, all of that good stuff Paterno did was erased by his actions and decisions regarding Sandusky. He also misused his power, he can't even be called a benevolent dictator.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And, of course, no one ever said any of that. Either you're deranged or your comprehension skills are wanting.

Yup, it's everyone else but you who is deranged or wanting. You and Bill James, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom