Why do you hate BC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why do you hate BC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The whole ACC issue was the last straw for me

The only thing I like about BC was their old soccer coach Benny Brewster - back in the 80's a bunch of us were up there for a BC/UConn mens soccer match and we were giving the BC team a bunch of crap at half time - Benny came over to us and said - "God I wish I had fans like UConn has". We strutted like peacocks. About 10 years later, during a UConn Mens Soccer tournament game in Storrs, the asst coach for the Revolution was sitting with us and who comes up and plunks down? Benny - we reminded him of that time 10 years ago and damn if he didn't remember and his overall take is that BC fans are fair weather at best and he loves the UConn fan base.

There is really nothing to like about BC - yeah they have good hockey and I do love Boston. As someone else said, they screwed Al Skinner, basically drove Gary Williams away (I do like the man, I'm in the minority) and told Benny Brewster to pound sand. BC will always be the door mat of the ACC. They don't belong in that conference - UConn does. They know it and will do everything in their power to keep UConn out. The best thing UConn has going for it is that BC is a pimple on the ACC's arse and that eventually their voice will be meaningless.

I can't help but think that the ACC knows it made a mistake with BC and Pitt and now - L'ville

Reaction Score
Hatred is a bit strong. For me dislike would be better. For me it stems from college hockey in the 1960's and my days as an undergrad at Clarkson University when Clarkson and BC were perennial national powers. In those days everyone was in the ECAC and the eastern championship was ALWAYS in Boston and the Boston schools controlled eastern college hockey and they made deals with the Ivy League.

Yeah, then there was the ACC, but I would have been much more outraged if our Attorney General had not been so complicit in the lawsuit.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Conference realignment

I know their fans are arrogant, but I laugh at that stuff. Not sure why they think they're some athletic powerhouse, but they tend to have a much bigger opinion about their athletic greatness than everyone else does about them, and I find that a tad bit naive. Although I suppose even their own opinion about themselves as taken a hit in recent years

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The whole ACC issue was the last straw for me

The only thing I like about BC was their old soccer coach Benny Brewster - back in the 80's a bunch of us were up there for a BC/UConn mens soccer match and we were giving the BC team a bunch of crap at half time - Benny came over to us and said - "God I wish I had fans like UConn has". We strutted like peacocks. About 10 years later, during a UConn Mens Soccer tournament game in Storrs, the asst coach for the Revolution was sitting with us and who comes up and plunks down? Benny - we reminded him of that time 10 years ago and damn if he didn't remember and his overall take is that BC fans are fair weather at best and he loves the UConn fan base.

There is really nothing to like about BC - yeah they have good hockey and I do love Boston. As someone else said, they screwed Al Skinner, basically drove Gary Williams away (I do like the man, I'm in the minority) and told Benny Brewster to pound sand. BC will always be the door mat of the ACC. They don't belong in that conference - UConn does. They know it and will do everything in their power to keep UConn out. The best thing UConn has going for it is that BC is a pimple on the ACC's arse and that eventually their voice will be meaningless.

I can't help but think that the ACC knows it made a mistake with BC and Pitt and now - L'ville
I used to check the ACC boards. From what I saw:

1) The old ACC people don't like that Syracuse was invited, but they're not hostile to Syracuse. Maybe they see some redeeming qualities.

2) They hate the BC invitation. They question BC's value.

3) They never even mention Pitt. Southwestern Pennsylvania State University is the red headed step-child that is ignored and unloved, but no one really hates them.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty much indifferent to BC. I was really young when the Big East separation went down, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Am I jealous that they're in the ACC? You bet. But they are what they are in that conference, a perennial cellar dweller in everything but hockey.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm pretty much indifferent to BC. I was really young when the Big East separation went down, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Am I jealous that they're in the ACC? You bet. But they are what they are in that conference, a perennial cellar dweller in everything but hockey.
Trust us old folks. The Big East was a fun football conference and there was nothing better than Big East basketball with:

UConn
Syracuse
Pitt
Georgetown
St. John's
Louisville
ND
Cincinnati
Villanova

The basketball tourney at MSG was insane. At it's peak, it may have been the best sporting event in the U.S. It was top 5 for sure.

And then a few schools became greedy, selfish backstabbers. Basketball really took off after BC left. They were dead weight. But their early backstabbing started the whole collapse.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Trust us old folks. The Big East was a fun football conference and there was nothing better than Big East basketball with:

UConn
Syracuse
Pitt
Georgetown
St. John's
Louisville
ND
Cincinnati
Villanova

The basketball tourney at MSG was insane. At it's peak, it may have been the best sporting event in the U.S. It was top 5 for sure.

And then a few schools became greedy, selfish backstabbers. Basketball really took off after BC left. They were dead weight. But their early backstabbing started the whole collapse.

Absolutely.

But here's the funny thing; out of the schools in the list above that defected, can you name even one of them that is better off today than they were with the Big East?

I can't. Yes, they're making more money, but their athletic programs have all suffered. You could make the argument that Syracuse has been the least affected of the bunch, but even they were stronger from a basketball perspective in the Big East:

Syracuse - slightly worse off or about even
BC - much worse off except for hockey which is unaffected by ACC conference
ND - unaffected in olympic sports
Louisville - slightly worse off
Pitt - MUCH worse off
WVU - (forced into the move) worse off...now the fifth best team in a conference instead of best team from football standpoint
St. John's - completely irrelevant now
Georgetown - much worse off
Villanova - perhaps the only winner. The top school in their new conference vs. the 5th best in their old one

So from all that greed, there was only one winner in the whole bunch...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Absolutely.

But here's the funny thing; out of the schools in the list above that defected, can you name even one of them that is better off today than they were with the Big East?

I can't. Yes, they're making more money, but their athletic programs have all suffered. You could make the argument that Syracuse has been the least affected of the bunch, but even they were stronger from a basketball perspective in the Big East:

Pitt - MUCH worse off
WVU - (forced into the move) worse off...now the fifth best team in a conference instead of best team from football standpoint
Villanova - perhaps the only winner. The top school in their new conference vs. the 5th best in their old one

Good points, but sadly we too are in that "much worse off" category. Although I'm still optimistic we'll improve our situation, I can't imagine being better off than we were in the old BEAST

Even the football conference would have been great with just a little more patience.

The bottom line, the ACC and Miami along with BC & Cuse tried to destroy the Big East and they hoped they would move in and grab all the TV money. They destroyed the conference, but are yet to gain all the money and exposure from the Northeast that they desired

Reaction Score
Soccer is for kids not tough enough to play football. That's the problem with our fan base, they bring up meaningless sports to say we belong in a P5 conference. It's 80% about football and 20% men's hoops and nothing else. We suck in both and we don't have a TV market that any P5 conference wants having been passed over multiple times.

Let's focus on growing the AAC by bringing in Boise and BYU, San Diego St and Colorado St. Strength in numbers and lobby for an 8 team playoff.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Absolutely.

Pitt - MUCH worse off

They sold their soul.

Reaction Score
Thunder Chicken U? Their perceived air of superiority reeks of disingenuousness. Their treatment of former coaches (women's hoops, Skinner, among others) makes one wonder why anyone would want to work there.

Reaction Score
Absolutely.

Pitt - MUCH worse off

Not sure I agree with this premise. Dan. Sure most of those football schools are in a much more difficult position to win their conference or get to a prestigious bowl game based on their competition, but they're still in P5 conferences, they're still benefiting financially from P5 TV deals, and they still play much stronger and more prestigious football schools than we do.

Ask yourself - if they're so bad off, then why the heck are we trying so hard to get into a power conference too?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I hated BC the day I enrolled at UConn. That hatred grew when Troy Bell flipped my buddy and I off as their bus rolled out of Gampel after they beat us. Then conference realignment happened and they will forever be the school I hate the most.

I hate them even more for preventing a real rivalry in football from ever forming. It could have been great too. But nope, they screwed that up too.

Reaction Score
What were you and your friend doing to get flipped off by Troy Bell?

For the last time, nobody gives a crap about soccer! Go find a soccer board somewhere!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What were you and your friend doing to get flipped off by Troy Bell?

For the last time, nobody gives a crap about soccer! Go find a soccer board somewhere!
Walking to the field house. We were still wearing our UConn gear and looked up at the bus driving past and he just flipped us off. Still pisses me off

Reaction Score
Walking to the field house. We were still wearing our UConn gear and looked up at the bus driving past and he just flipped us off. Still pisses me off

Must have been around the time they broke that 23-game losing streak to us.

Reaction Score
"For Boston" is one of worst fight songs in the country. "UConn Husky" and "Fight on Connecticut" are two of the best.

Reaction Score
I prefer hockey over hoops. Hoops from AAU through college is a giant cesspool.

The best thing BC has going for them is their fight song and their hockey team.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with this premise. Dan. Sure most of those football schools are in a much more difficult position to win their conference or get to a prestigious bowl game based on their competition, but they're still in P5 conferences, they're still benefiting financially from P5 TV deals, and they still play much stronger and more prestigious football schools than we do.

Ask yourself - if they're so bad off, then why the heck are we trying so hard to get into a power conference too?

That's not the question you should be asking.

The question is: Is the new P5 reality they've created + 10 million more per year better than the old BCS six conference reality they already had in the Big East?

We want in because we are now shut out. We weren't shut out when we were in the old Big East. And nearly all of the teams who left for the extra 10 million are now suffering for it in terms of athletic performance, lower tv ratings, lower stadium attendances, increased travel for non revenue sports, etc. They have lost their regional rivals, and with it, interest from casual fans in the local areas (insert Chief joke here ___).

That's the point I'm making, and it's hard to deny the stupidity of their collective and ultimately self destructive move for a few dollars more...

Reaction Score
Great work so far fellas. Can't help but feel that if we really generate enough hate to take us through the weekend it will help our chances of winning.

Reaction Score
I hate the stupid, yellow "BC Superfan" t shirts. There is a guy in my neighborhood that wears one when he jogs and it makes me laugh every time I see it. I guess I should give him some credit for actually going out in public with it on, but good lord is it a laughably bad t shirt.

Reaction Score
bclogo3nrqw3.gif

bc6.jpg
I would love that image on "I HATE BOSTON COLLEGE" on a t-shirt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom