Why cant this program act normal | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Why cant this program act normal

Reaction Score
I mean how would you actually go about putting together a depth chart for this defense, anyway?

Hmmm... this completely below average player or this one? Which one is a #2 and a #3? And why has anyone on that side of the ball earned the luxury of knowing where they're at in anything resembling a pecking order?

Depth chart should read: "This is a player who plays well. He plays" and underneath him 'the other players who don't play well"

I'm not defending Randy, here; but we're already at the 'I like these kids because they work real hard and care' part of the season and the ball hasn't even been snapped yet. And you guy are expecting a flipping depth chart?

Reaction Score
If you’re trying to prove Edsall is not a nerd; saying “well Georgia Tech does it” is not the way to go
From many pages back...
Collins & Edsall must have attended the same session @ AFCA this year:

Geoff Collins bringing a different approach to scout teams

>>“Everything we do is about development,” he said. “We are a developmental program, so we don’t call them scout teams. We call them developmental teams.”<<

>>In essence, rather than carrying out opponents’ plays, developmental team members are getting repetitions at the assignments that they’ll have to execute when they’re out on the game field. It’s one way of developing players to get “above the line,” which is Collins’ version of a depth chart. Players who are above the line are deemed capable of contributing in games. All players above the line will play in games, Collins has said.

“So they just continue to develop and they have a chance to get rewarded either by traveling or being moved up (off the developmental team) because their play forces us to move them above the line,” Collins said.<<

Reaction Score
They deserve support. Sure they knew what they were signing up for yada yada yada. But they’re kids that are busting their butt- They deserve it
I hope UConn Nation gives it to them en masse!
Support is earned. My time and money are valuable, as are yours and everyone else's. My family deserves my time and money.

The university gets some of my tax dollars, and I'd much rather see my tax dollars go to UConn than some of the other money pits in the budget.

But the teams have to earn my time and money because like you said, it's entertainment. They are entitled to nothing from me. Or you. Or any other fan.

Fans here have been guilt-tripping other fans here into going to games for years now. It's pathetic.

"Come support this terrible team because you live in CT and they deserve it".

Reaction Score
Support is earned. My time and money are valuable, as are yours and everyone else's. My family deserves my time and money.

The university gets some of my tax dollars, and I'd much rather see my tax dollars go to UConn than some of the other money pits in the budget.

But the teams have to earn my time and money because like you said, it's entertainment. They are entitled to nothing from me. Or you. Or any other fan.

Fans here have been guilt-tripping other fans here into going to games for years now. It's pathetic.

"Come support this terrible team because you live in CT and they deserve it".
Hard to win in an empty stadium

Just sayin

But I get your point and no one is wrong for whichever side of the fence they stand on- and fans telling others to come out and support aren’t bad people either.

I just feel that playing in a half empty stadium runs counter to game performance, opponent’s comfort level and recruiting optics- all things that can aid in winning and turning this thing around.

Hopefully we can at least agree on that

Reaction Score
Hard to win in an empty stadium

Just sayin

But I get your point and no one is wrong for whichever side of the fence they stand on- and fans telling others to come out and support aren’t bad people either.

I just feel that playing in a half empty stadium runs counter to game performance, opponent’s comfort level and recruiting optics- all things that can aid in winning and turning this thing around.

Hopefully we can at least agree on that
When virtually every other team that visits the Rent is better than Uconn it's hard to win whether the stadium is full or empty. I never said anyone is a bad person. But I'm not obligated to go. It's not my job to turn this thing around.

None of us are obligated to go, and Edsall is making it tougher for fans to connect with players (or even know who they are and if they'll play) because why? It might make it tougher for other teams to prepare for us? Or because he's worried about transfers?

Nonsense. 1) They'll have tape, 2) nobody on our roster is keeping a defensive coordinator up at night, 3) both our offense and defense are extremely predictable; and, 4) if your head coach is that concerned about transfers before the season even starts he should be fired.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is kind of stupid and it is definitely meaningless.

All Edsall is doing is renaming. He still has a scout squad and a two deep. The new names are a distinction without a difference. To be honest it's self-gratification.

From now on the Boneyard Message Board will be the Participation Board.
No post counts or likes either.

Reaction Score
When virtually every other team that visits the Rent is better than Uconn it's hard to win whether the stadium is full or empty. I never said anyone is a bad person. But I'm not obligated to go. It's not my job to turn this thing around.

None of us are obligated to go, and Edsall is making it tougher for fans to connect with players (or even know who they are and if they'll play) because why? It might make it tougher for other teams to prepare for us? Or because he's worried about transfers?

Nonsense. 1) They'll have tape, 2) nobody on our roster is keeping a defensive coordinator up at night, 3) both our offense and defense are extremely predictable; and, 4) if your head coach is that concerned about transfers before the season even starts he should be fired.
Agree with almost everything in this post- however, I never said anyone is obligated to go to the games. And I don’t think people connect with the players because of the two deep. We all know who’s on the roster and the reality is after the first game (actually most people already have an idea) we’ll know who’s starting and who’s backup.

After the first kickoff do you really think people are wondering who the backups are? I would guess as the flow of the game is going we just pay attention to who’s on the field and if they’re getting the job done.

If someone got shuttled into the game that wasn’t on the two deep would we really be pissed or feel deceived? Probably not.

Could he have still put out a two deep and accomplished his goals anyway to appease the fan base? Probably so. But this is one of those things that in all reality, fans could adjust to quicker than they expect.

Reaction Score
Agree with almost everything in this post- however, I never said anyone is obligated to go to the games. And I don’t think people connect with the players because of the two deep. We all know who’s on the roster and the reality is after the first game (actually most people already have an idea) we’ll know who’s starting and who’s backup.

After the first kickoff do you really think people are wondering who the backups are? I would guess as the flow of the game is going we just pay attention to who’s on the field and if they’re getting the job done.

If someone got shuttled into the game that wasn’t on the two deep would we really be pissed or feel deceived? Probably not.

Could he have still put out a two deep and accomplished his goals anyway to appease the fan base? Probably so. But this is one of those things that in all reality, fans could adjust to quicker than they expect.

You could not possibly miss the point of this more.

Reaction Score
Agree with almost everything in this post- however, I never said anyone is obligated to go to the games.

It's implied. You're arguing they "deserve" our support, and then saying it's harder to win in an empty stadium. The implication is the fans are partially to blame for the losing (since it's harder to win in an empty stadium) and that we should feel a duty/responsibility to go to games because they "deserve" it.

Reaction Score

I guess they should stop selling programs the first kickoff of each game since they are totally unnecessary from that point forward. Without a 2 deep, and if the fans don't need them, why bother selling them at all?

Reaction Score
I guess they should stop selling programs the first kickoff of each game since they are totally unnecessary from that point forward. Without a 2 deep, and if the fans don't need them, why bother selling them at all?

At least we’ll have the names on the back so we can see who is who.

Reaction Score
These are division-1 college football players and coaches. They're not entitled to their own self-confidence.

I think it's pretty condescending to sit there and just heap attention and praise on them because you don't want to feel bad about yourself being a lousy fan.

Reaction Score
It's implied. You're arguing they "deserve" our support, and then saying it's harder to win in an empty stadium. The implication is the fans are partially to blame for the losing (since it's harder to win in an empty stadium) and that we should feel a duty/responsibility to go to games because they "deserve" it.
Ok- scratch the deserve part. A little too strong. Quite frankly even if they were winning 10 games a year they don’t deserve anything. Ok. Agree on that.

Wanting better players to come to UConn means enticing recruits. Not sure talented players want to play in front of a half empty stadium- trust that the recruits know that UConn is in a bad way. However, there are players that do want to be part of a turnaround. We can all agree that it’s a great public university in terms of academics, and a beautiful campus

Football facilities are top notch. Coaching staff has NFL pedigree. All good.
So then they decide to come check out a game. It’s a buzzkill. They know the record. So they get that winning may be a few years away. But seeing 10k people in the stands screams volumes to a player. You think they say to themselves, “I get it. They’re not here because the team is losing so I’ll come here and try and help turn it around in the meantime playing in front of this each weekend?”
It doesn’t help the desire of the fan for better players.
It’s convenient to try and distance yourself from the stadium until they start winning but unfortunately it’s a contributive factor, along with other things, for the cycle of losing.

Reaction Score
Ok- scratch the deserve part. A little too strong. Quite frankly even if they were winning 10 games a year they don’t deserve anything. Ok. Agree on that.

Wanting better players to come to UConn means enticing recruits. Not sure talented players want to play in front of a half empty stadium- trust that the recruits know that UConn is in a bad way. However, there are players that do want to be part of a turnaround. We can all agree that it’s a great public university in terms of academics, and a beautiful campus

Football facilities are top notch. Coaching staff has NFL pedigree. All good.
So then they decide to come check out a game. It’s a buzzkill. They know the record. So they get that winning may be a few years away. But seeing 10k people in the stands screams volumes to a player. You think they say to themselves, “I get it. They’re not here because the team is losing so I’ll come here and try and help turn it around in the meantime playing in front of this each weekend?”
It doesn’t help the desire of the fan for better players.
It’s convenient to try and distance yourself from the stadium until they start winning but unfortunately it’s a contributive factor, along with other things, for the cycle of losing.
I think the point you're missing is that this is a uconn football fan forum.

Despite Chief's best attempts to mock the "casual" fan. I don't think anyone who is a casual fan of a team takes the time to go to that team's message board, create an account, and follow up on news etc.

In short, you're preaching to the choir. We know more fans will help, but this isn't the place to get more fans. And most of us have supported the team for years (even decades) and spent thousands of dollars, and countless hours supporting the team. If we've reached our breaking point, then the program is in far more jeopardy than can be solved by guilt-tripping 10-20 people on the boneyard to go to some games.

Reaction Score
Randy could get up and take a dump on the podium and folks would say that’s a good sign for this season.
Ct mike I think RANDY could take a dump in your mouth and folks would say that was a good sign for the season!

Reaction Score
If you’re not gonna show up to a game I doubt it will be because there isn’t a published two deep. It’ll be because of everything you pointed out with the losing but not because of this.

I just don’t see it.
When the game starts you just want to see players getting the job done on the field

We’ll agree to disagree here

Reaction Score

Despite Chief's best attempts to mock the "casual" fan. I don't think anyone who is a casual fan of a team takes the time to go to that team's message board, create an account, and follow up on news etc.

In short, you're preaching to the choir. We know more fans will help, but this isn't the place to get more fans. And most of us have supported the team for years (even decades) and spent thousands of dollars, and countless hours supporting the team. If we've reached our breaking point, then the program is in far more jeopardy than can be solved by guilt-tripping 10-20 people on the boneyard to go to some games

Point taken

But not guilt tripping anyone to go to games.

The counter to that is shaming people for their optimism over a new team each year- which happens a lot on this board too- to be fair

Reaction Score

In short, you're preaching to the choir. We know more fans will help, but this isn't the place to get more fans. And most of us have supported the team for years (even decades) and spent thousands of dollars, and countless hours supporting the team. If we've reached our breaking point, then the program is in far more jeopardy than can be solved by guilt-tripping 10-20 people on the boneyard to go to some games.
Point taken

But not guilt tripping anyone to go to games.

The counter to that is shaming people for their optimism over a new team each year- which happens a lot on this board too- to be fair

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
At least we’ll have the names on the back so we can see who is who.
So....did I miss this....is Randy taking the names off the uniforms again? I remember a vague tweet, but don't remember that the change was confirmed?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom