Why cant this program act normal | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Why cant this program act normal

Reaction Score
When most of his recruits have had a few years to develop and can be judged.
Thank you. Edsall's first full class just became sophomores and RS frosh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, the foundation is comprised of members of the worst team in the history of the school, forgive my skepticism.

You can be skeptical all you want, I am too, but that's the answer to your question.

Reaction Score
lol the program is a joke lets attack whaler because he says it.

yeah serrano is my burner... we totally aren’t different people who have met dozens of people from the site.
Well you must be his idol. Lol.

Anyway, not attacking you at all. Just merely pointing out that you’ve come up with 1000 ways to same the same thing over and over again.

What isn’t changing is the team will be out there learning life lessons with or without you in attendance. Guess I look at it all from a different vantage point. There are so many positives from watching a sporting match than just the mere outcome of the game.

Winning is great but I just want to see them compete. They didn’t do much of that last year- I’m hoping for at minimum that.

Heck, Andrew Luck got booed walking off the field yesterday because he retired. That’s what cray cray fandom looks like.
That’s what happens when people allow the ups and downs of the game to sway their emotions to the point where they give up on the team and bash them endlessly- and boo a man who’s looking out for his healthy and well being.

I’ll say this- there are kids on the team that haven’t lost a game for UConn. Why not root for them? I guess guilt by association applies here.

People take this sport thing way too seriously. Sad dude

Reaction Score
Yes, the foundation is comprised of members of the worst team in the history of the school, forgive my skepticism.

It’s all relative right? Suppose Alabama’s freshmen (a large swath of them) started and played the entire season in the SEC, what do you think their record would be and how would they be made to look like on the field against the seniors and redshirt seniors of the conference? We’re talking 4 and 5 star freshmen right?

I would think they would look bad. Like they didn’t have a clue out there. Like they never hit the weight room. And in a lot of instances scared $hitless. And in some cases like they never played football.

Just my opinion though

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If only we could recruit 85 new players every year and everyone of them was superstar.

Why can't both sides have a point. Yes, we should be better than UMass, the Sun Belt and every team in the AAC not residing in Texas. Yes, we are hugely disadvantaged by the realignment shuffle, our lack of P5 membership and a weak recruiting area. Yes, we've made some horrible coaching decisions and Randy Edsall will never be confused with Urban Meyer.

The roster stunk two years ago and it stunk last year. Edsall 1.0 took 4 years of rebuilding the roster before he beat anyone worth mentioning (a 6-6 Iowa St team, woo!) He lucked into a future NFL QB in his back yard that had the will to help build a program and a few other guys as well. It takes time, more than he's had and this time he didn't have the luxury of playing an FCS schedule while doing it.

Will he be able to repeat his success in building a competitive P5 level team? Who knows, but expecting 8 freshmen and 3 sophomores to not get torched is really naïve. Did I expect them to set records for getting scored upon? No, I did not, but Randy basically said last year was about playing guys. We really won't know if that was smart until next season.

At this level if you recruit 5 reliable starters each class you are doing OK. Everyone else comes with flaws you need to hide or fix. We hid our lack of skilled receivers and pass rushers for years last go around. You can't hide flaws at every level of the defense and you can't hide weaknesses at more that one spot on the OL, which we had a two years ago. Last year we hid the fact that our QB couldn't really run a drop back passing offense and our OL wasn't capable of power running.

Even if RE is on schedule, half our starters are still suspect and we are still playing true and RS freshman. RE 1.0 made that priority 1 to let those guys develop. He doesn't have that luxury this time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like that when even the Edsall truthers saw today’s mess they finally shut their pieholes.

Reaction Score

Holy smokes, have you ever played a sport in your life? Did you not improve year to year as you matured?

Since you are more of a basketball fan let me remind you of the 1997 UCONN team that did not make the tournament vs the 1999 team that ended up being an all time great team. Now stop posting dumb comments like the one above.

Reaction Score
I like that when even the Edsall truthers saw today’s mess they finally shut their pieholes.
Bottom line for me is- when you take away all the noise- the participation lists, Coach speak winning and losing- at the heart of it all there are young men putting their lives on the line to represent the University of Connecticut and to provide entertainment for us all (whether it’s good or bad entertainment). They all give us a purpose and something to look forward to on the weekends.

They deserve support. Sure they knew what they were signing up for yada yada yada. But they’re kids that are busting their butt- They deserve it
I hope UConn Nation gives it to them en masse!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bottom line for me is- when you take away all the noise- the participation lists, Coach speak winning and losing- at the heart of it all there are young men putting their lives on the line to represent the University of Connecticut and to provide entertainment for us all (whether it’s good or bad entertainment). They all give us a purpose and something to look forward to on the weekends.

They deserve support. Sure they knew what they were signing up for yada yada yada. But they’re kids that are busting their butt- They deserve it

i agree they deserve an athletic department who hires a coach who is qualified to run an FBS program.

you can cut up oranges and run bake sales - I’ll keep an eye on what matters.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

They deserve support.
Sure they knew what they were signing up for yada yada yada. But they’re kids that are busting their butt- They deserve it

Uh last I checked college football is a multi billion dollar business they don't deserve anything. They should put a reasonable product on the field.

Reaction Score
43% of the roster hasn't played a snap of FBS. Edsall has had three recruiting classes.
Actually, that is not true. I think about 14 of the current redshirt freshmen played in games last year. I think only 4 freshmen, the 3 OL and 1 WR did not play in a game. Clearly, you really can’t send true freshmen OL out to play in games. Remember, the redshirt rules changed and freshmen are allowed to play in 4 games and still be redshirted and Edsall took full advantage of the rule change and it should help this year.

Reaction Score
i agree they deserve an athletic department who hires a coach who is qualified to run an FBS program.

you can cut up oranges and run bake sales - I’ll keep an eye on what matters.
True. They deserve an entire support system- Fans included

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
True. They deserve an entire support system- Fans included

we heard you cry about the fans the first 82 times. maybe run a legitimate program and they will come back

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, Chief’s natural optimism aside, I honestly do think we are going to be significantly better this year. The guys up front meet the eye test now and as in hoops, Chief is at heart a trenches and in the paint guy. When you got Travis Jones and Thomas inside and K Jones and Harris at DE - that’s respect. These guys are going to come at you hard. Everyone talks about Peart but let Chief tell you that Haynes kid is going to be a stud and an NFL Sunday guy. The OL is solid. I need to see the QB under the bright lights but he does have the measurable and can make throws. The transfers at RB and receiver give us some play makers.
I get the reality of being a 2-11 team and I thought the AAC is significantly underrated by CT fans. But we will be noticeably better. Matt King has truly had a great impact with the guys I talk to. If anyone is underpaid it’s him - whatever they pay him - they should double it.

Reaction Score
The fact you think they just killed the football program with the move is one of the most laughable things I've ever read on here.

Come on, that wouldn't even be in the top 10 of my most laughable posts.
It’s all relative right? Suppose Alabama’s freshmen (a large swath of them) started and played the entire season in the SEC, what do you think their record would be and how would they be made to look like on the field against the seniors and redshirt seniors of the conference? We’re talking 4 and 5 star freshmen right?

I would think they would look bad. Like they didn’t have a clue out there. Like they never hit the weight room. And in a lot of instances scared $hitless. And in some cases like they never played football.

Just my opinion though

You are probably right in your Alabama scenario year 2 you mentioned if they hired HCRE1.0SecJob to run its program. I doubt Saban would be caught with having to play a large swath of freshman in his second year as new coach at Alabama nor would they have been likely to be the worst defense statistically in the history of FCS even if he had a lot of freshman on his defensive 2 deep (assuming he had a 2 deep).
I also doubt Saban would hire Crocker or if he performed like UConn Crocker then Saban would not keep him for a second year.

Coaching ability matters. HCRE in all his versions is 100 wins and 124 losses. Saban is 232 wins and 63 loses. Saban took over a 6-6 team (not taking away wins like NCAA did) and in his 2nd year went 12-0 in the regular season (taking over an NCAA sanctioned team). HCRE2.0 took a 3-9 team and turned them into a 1-11 team 2 years later.

Coaching matters. It matters if the coach thinks it is important to win NOW!

Reaction Score
we heard you cry about the fans the first 82 times. maybe run a legitimate program and they will come back
Not crying at all. I enjoy the games with or without them. Remember, according to you since I have a personal connection, win or lose I’m there cheering them on and watching them compete. And after the game hug em, thank the lucky stars they’re healthy and look forward to the next game.

Life is good when you’re not stuck in misery over a game bud. I guess having a personal connection allows you to experience it from a different vantage point.

Question, if you had a close connection to the team like a son playing or a daughter in the band would you attend?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Holy smokes, have you ever played a sport in your life? Did you not improve year to year as you matured?

Since you are more of a basketball fan let me remind you of the 1997 UCONN team that did not make the tournament vs the 1999 team that ended up being an all time great team. Now stop posting dumb comments like the one above.

Did the 1997 team go 2-28, or did they make the NIT semifinals?

Obviously there's development and improvement. I just think the amount expected is demonstrably beyond reasonable expectations. In the Alabama scenario, of course they'd get killed- but you'd see flashes of the raw talent that had them highly touted in the first place. You'd see the path to eventual excellence. If you saw any flashes of hope last year, your vision is 20/5.

Reaction Score

Honestly one of the worst teams in this history of college football.

At the end of the day; Edsall isn’t releasing a depth chart because there’s simply no depth to chart

Reaction Score
It is kind of stupid and it is definitely meaningless.

All Edsall is doing is renaming. He still has a scout squad and a two deep. The new names are a distinction without a difference. To be honest it's self-gratification.

From now on the Boneyard Message Board will be the Participation Board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom