Who's your list for next HC? | Page 60 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure how I feel about Al Golden. But reading former player Feliciano's criticisms of Golden at Miami, it's kind of scary. It might be a singular disgruntled player... or it might be a coach to stay the hell away from...

Reaction Score
Golden would be excellent. That guy can coach. He is plugged into where UConn needs to recruit. Hell should have had the job the last time.
Agreed. Everyone is like don’t hire him he was fired from a P5 school he was 32-25 at Miami. He has a .500 record all time as a head coach. I’m sorry if he comes in and changes around the program every negative comment on him people would be changed if he got UConn back to 6-6 record and so on. Most people say he was fired well so we shouldn’t hire Joe Moorehead, Todd Orlando and so on because they were fired. Al Golden I know could recruit the territories we are recruiting in now. If that’s the best choice we have you can’t be negative about it.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Do we just suck at social media and PR? If that's not true, is it his agent leaking this to help him with NFL jobs? It's like CUSA all over again if so. Leave UConn football out of your rumors. We have enough problems as is.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Everyone is like don’t hire him he was fired from a P5 school he was 32-25 at Miami. He has a .500 record all time as a head coach. I’m sorry if he comes in and changes around the program every negative comment on him people would be changed if he got UConn back to 6-6 record and so on. Most people say he was fired well so we shouldn’t hire Joe Moorehead, Todd Orlando and so on because they were fired. Al Golden I know could recruit the territories we are recruiting in now. If that’s the best choice we have you can’t be negative about it.
Dude was 27-34 overall at Temple below .500 and 32-25 at Miami, then was fired. He also had a student talk bad about him, and it’s been 6yrs since he’s coached a college team. He is not a “great” hire. I highly doubt he’s the guy. Dave hired Hurley who was a hot coach at the time, I don’t see Golden as a splash hire. That’s two different kind of hires and wouldn’t make sense.

Reaction Score
Dude was 27-34 overall at Temple below .500 and 32-25 at Miami, then was fired. He also had a student talk bad about him, and it’s been 6yrs since he’s coached a college team. He is not a “great” hire. I highly doubt he’s the guy. Dave hired Hurley who was a hot coach at the time, I don’t see Golden as a splash hire. That’s two different kind of hires and wouldn’t make sense.
He was 27-34 at Temple but keep in mind that Temple had had 3 winning seasons since 1980 and none since 1990, when he arrived. 1-11 in year 1, 4-8, 5-7, 9-4, 8-4. He rebuilt the program and the image.

I‘d love a splash hire, but I would rather a competent hire.

Reaction Score
We had the usual plethora of “connect the dot” names thrown out by the mainstream CFB media after Edsall left then radio silence about candidates till two rumors this week by On3 - Holtz and Golden (which at least someone in the process confirmed to Amore that the interest was at least mutual). I have a hard time believing those are the only two candidates for the job @ this point in time. There are leverage games and timing of seasons in play.

Now, I can be proven wrong in the end but it would seem real strange for AD Dave to tie his career cart to Al Golden (and overall IMO Golden would be in the middle of a pack of realistic choices for me - some better/some worse).

Reaction Score
Ok guys, who has an active UConn email that will just reach out to Dave and ask. Maybe he'll even answer it.

Reaction Score
Now, I can be proven wrong in the end but it would seem real strange for AD Dave to tie his career cart to Al Golden (and overall IMO Golden would be in the middle of a pack of realistic choices for me - some better/some worse).
This ^^^^ as someone who sat in on the HC search zoom call with the Parker firm and listened. Golden seems like a safe choice, but I don't know how great a salesman he can be for Uconn in particular and the college game in general, especially after dealing with pros the last 6 years. A high level recruiter and an OC that will excite are both keys if he's it. Just doesn't sound like what was talked about with the Parker lead. But to me the key is would a guy like Golden be excited about the Uconn job himself ? If not it seems like another bad fit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So Chip Kelly is going to be available. My brain says no but a sliver of me thinks he can turn it around. He's from new england and still has friends in New Hampshire.
Chip Kelly would immediately vault to number one on my list ahead of Sean Lewis. Would turn this program around in short order.

Reaction Score
This ^^^^ as someone who sat in on the HC search zoom call with the Parker firm and listened. Golden seems like a safe choice, but I don't know how great a salesman he can be for Uconn in particular and the college game in general, especially after dealing with pros the last 6 years. A high level recruiter and an OC that will excite are both keys if he's it. Just doesn't sound like what was talked about with the Parker lead. But to me the key is would a guy like Golden be excited about the Uconn job himself ? If not it seems like another bad fit.
Golden has historically been a really good recruiter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom