Who's your list for next HC? | Page 50 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
I mean whoever gets it has to have some husky pride and make it their project and not some southern dip just looking to advance, but what do I know.
Southern dip? Not familiar with the terminology. Clarification...

Reaction Score
Southern dip? Not familiar with the terminology. Clarification...
Lol, someone who feels they are too good for UConn. I mean ideally things are better and easier down south. With all the support and what UConn has to offer, it is a huge challenge.

Reaction Score
Whoever it is to be, sooner than later is key. They have burned the fanbase to ground. Even diehards aren’t sticking around. Portal transfers are a must and the guy we bring needs to have enough coattails to pull in some talent fast. They better be prepared to open up the wallet for HC and staff, or just turnout lights. It’s past the point of no return without radical intervention.

Reaction Score
There are lots of rumors about this job, many leaked by agents to media favorites, but that’s nothing new. Some rumors even have HC candidates coming to DB’s table with their team already assembled (if you can believe some of the pitches being made). Here’s the good news, far from being seen as a dumpster fire, UConn has lots of positives to attract a healthy pool of coaching talent looking to turn around our moribund program. It’s easy for us to list excuses for our failings. To the coach who gets our gig this time, given the money, institutional support and access to talent, either via the portal or with targeted recruiting (perhaps with some limited adjustments re admissions), excuses become challenges. So, as with most successful turnarounds—in any enterprise—it will take an organized mind, a winning game plan, and an extraordinary ability to sell. He’s out there. I say relax and let it play out.

Reaction Score
when last I spoke up ... I said Liam Coen as that Kentucky offense was on fire and the team was playing

Now. Since we are talking guys who have been in the HC interview at UCONN before, I am watching the KC Keeler and Skip Holtz stories today as we get near the last week of October. Figure we are one month away from the announcement. It is intriguing that Keeler is again winning all at FCS at Sam Houston State in Huntsville TX and Skip is 4 hours away at Louisiana Tech in the disintegrating CUSA. Both advanced in age; but we a whole bunch of guys who have been with them for decades. And northeast roots. Both have salaries less than 40% of what DB said. Looking MAC, Lester looks less. And my interesting case story of the week ... Rahne at Old Dominion: Great coaching profile. Was a HC. Was the OC at Penn State after Morehead. Struggling his first year at ODU as a HC. Not looking competitive in some games.

As Nostical says, he is out there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There are lots of rumors about this job, many leaked by agents to media favorites, but that’s nothing new. Some rumors even have HC candidates coming to DB’s table with their team already assembled (if you can believe some of the pitches being made). Here’s the good news, far from being seen as a dumpster fire, UConn has lots of positives to attract a healthy pool of coaching talent looking to turn around our moribund program. It’s easy for us to list excuses for our failings. To the coach who gets our gig this time, given the money, institutional support and access to talent, either via the portal or with targeted recruiting (perhaps with some limited adjustments re admissions), excuses become challenges. So, as with most successful turnarounds—in any enterprise—it will take an organized mind, a winning game plan, and an extraordinary ability to sell. He’s out there. I say relax and let it play out.

I would hope this would be a bare minimum during the interview process. Any HC worth their salt should already have a staff on his short list. If not a whole staff, the OC, DC and a few other key coaches. I'll be pissed if the HC comes in and has to start finding coordinators and filling out a staff. This staff needs to come in ready to go on day to evaluate current recruits and decide who to press on keeping and who to let go, then start looking at remaining prospects and getting active in transfer portal news.

Reaction Score
Im still holding out hope for Moorhead, Cignetti or Entz. I wouldn't mind Skip Holtz either. He's a great coach and can assemble a good staff.

Reaction Score
This staff needs to come in ready to go on day to evaluate current recruits and decide who to press on keeping and who to let go, then start looking at remaining prospects and getting active in transfer portal news.
One of the key guys prospective HC’s are eager to identify to DB is their “recruiting coordinator”. It’s no secret that our roster could use someone selling UConn in the hotbeds of recruiting. It’s interesting how some of these guys are involved with travel squads of prospective HS players that play against each other in an effort to produce film for review. There are videos of some of our defensive players in high school competing against guys like Mac Jones before he went to AL. A full time recruiter with street cred and a good eye may be the most important addition of all in turning this ship around.

Reaction Score
Didn't he hire Bob Diaco as his DC a few years back. Skip would not get me very excited.

Diaco was Skip's DC one year (2019) and LA Tech won 10 games. For that you criticize him? Skip has 7 bowl appearances in 8 years at LA Tech with 6 bowl victories. He is a good recruiter and would probably be as good as anyone at holding our current roster together so we don't have another 4 year rebuild.

I don't understand why people would be happy with former DC Orlando who has never been a head coach but would not be happy with former HC Holtz who has a long track record of winning. Orlando may very well be a good candidate but he has to be viewed as a higher risk than Holtz.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One of the key guys prospective HC’s are eager to identify to DB is their “recruiting coordinator”. It’s no secret that our roster could use someone selling UConn in the hotbeds of recruiting. It’s interesting how some of these guys are involved with travel squads of prospective HS players that play against each other in an effort to produce film for review. There are videos of some of our defensive players in high school competing against guys like Mac Jones before he went to AL. A full time recruiter with street cred and a good eye may be the most important addition of all in turning this ship around.

Yep. Agreed and aware of that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Diaco was Skip's DC one year (2019) and LA Tech won 10 games. For that you criticize him? Skip has 7 bowl appearances in 8 years at LA Tech with 6 bowl victories. He is a good recruiter and would probably be as good as anyone at holding our current roster together so we don't have another 4 year rebuild.

I don't understand why people would be happy with former DC Orlando who has never been a head coach but would not be happy with former HC Holtz who has a long track record of winning. Orlando may very well be a good candidate but he has to be viewed as a higher risk than Holtz.

1635098913466.png

Skip Holtz Coaching Record | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Reaction Score

… and I think the genesis for that rumor is from these next two tweets (could just be a coincidence but hey, anything is possible):

Well, the tweet saying that “Word around town is that Todd Orlando will be UConn’s top candidate for Football head coach and Dan Orlovsky as offensive coordinator” has been deleted…

Reaction Score

I didn't critized him for winning 10 games in 2019 which including shutting out Miami in a bowl game if my memory is accurate. I criticized him for hiring Bob Diaco. I also recall that Skip didn't do very well at South Florida . Skip would be an upgrade from our head coaches over our last 11 years here but I still think there are better candidates out there for our program that we have a chance to hire.

Reaction Score
Didn't he hire Bob Diaco as his DC a few years back. Skip would not get me very excited.
Don't expect him to do the same thing if he ended up back here somehow. One thing he had here was success. But, at the same time it would be a bit of a shock to bring him back.

Reaction Score
He's had a pretty decent career as FBS Head Coach
True, especially compared to Edsall (at 102 wins to 136 losses). Also on a side note he was born right down the road from Uconn when Papa Lou was a Uconn assistant back in the day. Makes you wonder what he could've done if he didn't leave to coach with pops at SC. But he's not exactly young or charismatic.

1635103267511.png

Reaction Score
Well, the tweet saying that “Word around town is that Todd Orlando will be UConn’s top candidate for Football head coach and Dan Orlovsky as offensive coordinator” has been deleted…
Tweeted by who? Is it a credible tweeter?

Reaction Score
True, especially compared to Edsall (at 102 wins to 136 losses). Also on a side note he was born right down the road from Uconn when Papa Lou was a Uconn assistant back in the day. Makes you wonder what he could've done if he didn't leave to coach with pops at SC. But he's not exactly young or charismatic.

View attachment 70481
He is 57 was only 30 when hired at UConn

Reaction Score
Orlando will be out of a job after the season when USC hires a new coach, just like when Herman was let go at Texas and Todd went to USC. Why not poach Skip from LaTech as your HC and see if Todd will come back at DC/Assoc.HC.
Best of both worlds.
Now just find your young innovative OC

Reaction Score
Orlando will be out of a job after the season when USC hires a new coach, just like when Herman was let go at Texas and Todd went to USC. Why not poach Skip from LaTech as your HC and see if Todd will come back at DC/Assoc.HC.
Best of both worlds.
Now just find your young innovative OC
Would a "young offensive OC" candidate want to work under Skip? In his UConn incarnation, he was basicially calling his own shots on on offense. For a young coach to take this in name only position, he would have to be willing llearn under Skip's tutelage & have his own decisions constantly countermanded or second guessed.
[

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom