Who's your list for next HC? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
The last game we won (UMass) we had the best QB on the field. This is the most important position on the field and to get a great QB we will need an offensive minded coach as HC. You can find a good defensive coordinator. Trying to win with subpar QB's is one of the biggest reasons Edsall is gone. Add PP and BD to the list though Bryant Shirreffs was a real tough kid and played well enough to get us to a bowl game.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Our best QB's led us to our best years. Danny O, Zach Fraser(although he wasn't so accurate) but he was a leader, and Tyler Lorenzen. It ain't rocket science. You start with a good QB

Reaction Score
Scott Frost would be interesting if Nebraska buys him out (which looks like may actually end up happening). He seems more fit for a G5 coaching job than a high pressure P5. And honestly, New England doesn't have a football powerhouse. There is an opportunity for us to dominate the region if we can just actually make the right hire

Reaction Score
Scott Frost would be interesting if Nebraska buys him out (which looks like may actually end up happening). He seems more fit for a G5 coaching job than a high pressure P5. And honestly, New England doesn't have a football powerhouse. There is an opportunity for us to dominate the region if we can just actually make the right hire
no

Reaction Score
Eric Mangini
I always wanted Mangini to coach here. He’s from CT, he’s coached with one of the best coach in history Bill Belichick ( which can probably help with recruiting) and he had a nice run with the Jets. But another guy I don’t think would come here. Worth a shot though.

Reaction Score
Another few names I like

Anthony Poindexter is a coDC at Penn State. Was here in the diaco years.

Todd Orlando

Kyle Flood from Texas

Reaction Score
I would, but I don’t think he would come here. Why not Frost as a potential HC? Just curious.
his only good season he had McKenzie Milton. Just another example of a coach who had one good QB or one genius OC that carried them.

UCF wasn't in a bad position when he took over. They went 0-12 the year before but that was because they quit on George O'Leary. Most of the team was O'Leary's recruits. Now look at what he's done with all the resources at Nebraska

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I agree

thought the same-local roots with yearly Hartford camps.
He has no experience recruiting and likely few HS connections, so he'd need a lot of help there.

Reaction Score
his only good season he had McKenzie Milton. Just another example of a coach who had one good QB or one genius OC that carried them.

UCF wasn't in a bad position when he took over. They went 0-12 the year before but that was because they quit on George O'Leary. Most of the team was O'Leary's recruits. Now look at what he's done with all the resources at Nebraska
That’s how it goes. One or two good seasons and people think you can’t miss.

Reaction Score
I think one thing that might be getting overlooked by he team's play and Edsall's retirement is scheduling announcements. We know from Edsall in the past UConn was in talks with Pitt, Rutgers, etc. AD David Benedict needs to prioritize getting these games finalized and announced. Get some more big time bag games. Public outlook on UConn is low right now and it would help with how UConn is perceived by candidates and recruits.

Reaction Score
Diaco buyout money is off the books. Can pay 1.5-2 mil for a coach which is more than any in the MAC and match AAC schools. So money talks. We need 1) excitement 2) innovation.
And not necessarily in that order.

Reaction Score
Hire a current head coach who’s been extremely successful both with wins on the field and in recruiting. Will need to be from one level down ($).

Just saying that after Diaco, please don’t go after another “young, rising star” DC or OC. They almost never work out, either in basketball or football. Lessons learned.

Reaction Score
Here is the blurb from Vannini's article:

-> It's very early in the process and replacement candidates have yet to emerge, but potential names to watch could include Towson head coach Rob Ambrose, Arizona defensive coordinator Don Brown, former Temple and Miami head coach Al Golden, Holy Cross head coach Bob Chesney and former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky. <-
Yep everybody will be naming guys with familiar first names like Randy, Paul, Bob, Joe, Al, Don etc..
Let's go with a less vanilla first name. I base this on nothing but a gut feeling.

Reaction Score
He has no experience recruiting and likely few HS connections, so he'd need a lot of help there.

Eric meet Cory, Cory say hello to Eric.

Mangini would be interesting, not an exciting personality but is known to be a great X's and O's guy.

I would think Mangini might do well in the transfer portal just because of his previous coaching positions. Most Jets fans today (I am a Jets fan) consider his firing a mistake as he built a solid team but was undercut by Favre's torn bicep in the middle of the 2008 season.

Mangini coached the Jets into the playoffs in 2006 and was then given the nickname Mangenius. Pennington got injured early in his second year which torpedoed the season. In 2008 when Favre was healthy the Jets actually rose to # 1 in the NFL power rankings after week 12, then Favre injured his bicep. Mangini was fired with a 9-7 record in 2008.

Mangini used to host a summer youth football camp in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Eric meet Cory, Cory say hello to Eric.

Mangini would be interesting, not an exciting personality but is known to be a great X's and O's guy.

I would think Mangini might do well in the transfer portal just because of his previous coaching positions. Most Jets fans today (I am a Jets fan) consider his firing a mistake as he built a solid team but was undercut by Favre's torn bicep in the middle of the 2008 season.

Mangini coached the Jets into the playoffs in 2006 and was then given the nickname Mangenuis. Pennington got injured his second year which ruined the season. In 2008 when Favre was healthy the Jets actually rose to # 1 in the NFL power rankings after week 12 then Favre injured his bicep. Mangini was fired with a 9-7 record in 2008.

Mangini used to host a summer youth football camp in Hartford.
Also hasn't coached since 2015.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom