Who's your list for next HC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Moorehead is the only retread I would want on the shortlist.

We do have a couple nice pieces that I would like to keep from the current staff but they would not be deal breakers. I loved seeing Spanos tearing the entire defense a new on on the sidelines and Corey has done some real nice things and has UConn in his blood. Normally new regimes keep a couple holdovers for continuity with the return players so the idea is not unreasonable. Again, retaining current staff is not a deal breaker.

The new HC will need to be able to deal with the idiots in the media who will bombard him with "why shouldn't UConn drop to FCS" questions. He will need a vision for recruiting because a) there aren't enough players coming out of local high schools to stock a competitive FBS teams and b) the moronic HS coaches believe UConn football should kiss their rings and offer scholarships to any player they can't send to a P-5 (soon to be P-4) school.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
A lot of us were wondering that at the time. My guess is Benedict wanted to.
Goes back to what myself and others were saying probably. I bet there was some resistance because he would have lasted only a couple years before taking a bigger job. However in those couple years he could have made the difference for the program. Two years of Lashlee drawing up plays for David Pindell?!?

Reaction Score
I bleed Blue, believe me. But I think we're in our worst position ever to attract a decent coach. I think we need to find a hungry positions coach from a good football school who wants a head coaching job on his resume, and then roll the dice. That's where we are now.

Reaction Score
The issue we’re going to have is the staff. That’s always been an issue.
The money might be there to pay 1.5-2M for a coach. But these top guys also want their guys on staff.
That will be the telling sign of whether UConn is serious or not. Gotta have money for staff

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Just want to add the reason I would consider Moorehead while generally dismissing the idea of retreads. The one place he did fail, Mississippi St is about as diametrically opposed culturally as any school could have been. I don't believe he ever could have succeeded in that environment and they never would have fully accepted him there.

Reaction Score
I bleed Blue, believe me. But I think we're in our worst position ever to attract a decent coach. I think we need to find a hungry positions coach from a good football school who wants a head coaching job on his resume, and then roll the dice. That's where we are now.
I'd rather take a chance on someone like Jeff Devanney that just hasn't gotten an opportunity.

Reaction Score
Just want to add the reason I would consider Moorehead while generally dismissing the idea of retreads. The one place he did fail, Mississippi St is about as diametrically opposed culturally as any school could have been. I don't believe he ever could have succeeded in that environment and they never would have fully accepted him there.
I wouldn't even say he failed. He went 8-5 and 6-7. He only got fired because SEC people are crazy and every school thinks they should be Alabama

Reaction Score
I'd rather take a chance on someone like Jeff Devanney that just hasn't gotten an opportunity.
Maybe as our DC at best, which wouldn't be far fetched

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is the blurb from Vannini's article:

-> It's very early in the process and replacement candidates have yet to emerge, but potential names to watch could include Towson head coach Rob Ambrose, Arizona defensive coordinator Don Brown, former Temple and Miami head coach Al Golden, Holy Cross head coach Bob Chesney and former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky. <-
That is the worst list I have seen. I would not be thrilled with anyone of them for Head Coach.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I wouldn't even say he failed. He went 8-5 and 6-7. He only got fired because SEC people are crazy and every school thinks they should be Alabama
That, and also the fact that he was an easy scapegoat for a fight that occurred between a couple players who were at the school before he got there. He wasn't given a fair shake there but I'm not sure a fair shake was ever a possibility.

Reaction Score
I really just want them to break the recent cycle of hiring coaches w/ primarily defensive backgrounds (unless of course they declare their OC ahead of time ;)).

i wish I could like this 10 times. I would like to see an offensive minded coach, though a little defense would be nice too.

Reaction Score
no thank you. dudes a fraud, always has been
Gotta live hus voice though. One thing he'll be able to do is plenty of animated movies. Who wouldn't want that voice for one if their cartoon characters...

Reaction Score
I agree, Mississippi State is a really hard school to win at. I never understood why he took the job there, it was an odd fit for him in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I agree. Love Dan O, but I think even he knows he wouldn't be ready for that. The rest are retreads. None make sense for our future, if that's what we're trying to do (as in have one)
I would like to see him coaching the QBs

Reaction Score
I read that as using UConn as a stepping stone. Rebuild this program to respectability, get a power 5 HC job.
Would be nice get him and Briener back though unlikely unless he is let go.

Reaction Score
I would like to see him coaching the QBs
I can't see him leaving his high paying gig to be a QB coach. Or any coaching job for that matter. Dudes set where he's at.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom