Who's your list for next HC? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Facilities at UConn and tv deal are better than any MAC deal or CUSA. Don’t let the poor performance cloud that. All it takes is getting UConn to 6 wins and a coach will have his pick of the litter
The bar for success couldn’t be much lower.

Reaction Score
....carousel starts, I expect to see us get what is left when the ride stops

Reaction Score
I liked what I saw on the UConn Blog. Particularly this: "One thing Dave Benedict should not do — and this is the only thing that he should ever listen to us about — is pick the cool kid." I assume this is directed at a possible Orlovsky candidacy. Someone who has never held a coaching job let alone run a program. Flame away Orlovsky fans, but we do not need beginners in this role.
Totally agree. NFL experience as a player and an active social media is not a coaching resume.

Reaction Score
This is who we need to talk to and ask him how much money he will require to come up to Storrs for five years. Jamey Chadwell - Coastal Carolina Head Coach. His current salary is not that high.
Coastal Carolina is now a better job than UCONN. Chadwell is waiting on a P5 job, and he will get one soon enough.

Reaction Score
I can honestly get behind Lou Spanos if his 10 game stint turns out well.

Who else can say they worked under Nick Saban and Dick Lebeau while flaunting a couple SB rings?
no. for chrissakes, the man better be a miracle worker for them to give him this job. Let's have some vision. Just ******* people were saying they couldn't fire Randy because there wasn't anyone good enough to be interim.

I hope the next coach is a big success for a lot of reasons, not least because I don't want to read 10 years of TJ Weist 2.0 if Spanos beats Yale, UMass and somehow wins a third game.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
no. for chrissakes, the man better be a miracle worker for them to give him this job. Let's have some vision. Just ******* people were saying they couldn't fire Randy because there wasn't anyone good enough to be interim.

I hope the next coach is a big success for a lot of reasons, not least because I don't want to read 10 years of TJ Weist 2.0 if Spanos beats Yale, UMass and somehow wins a third game.

While I understand where you're coming from, I think this is different. This team is hapless and helpless. If Spanos somehow turns this team into competent, using the same players and assistants, then why the hell wouldn't you consider him?!?

What I really DON'T want is the next sexy name, like Diaco was, to come in here and talk about 4 years because he needs his guys. We can't afford that anymore. If Spanos shows himself to be really good, then absolutely he should be considered...

Reaction Score
While I understand where you're coming from, I think this is different. This team is hapless and helpless. If Spanos somehow turns this team into competent, using the same players and assistants, then why the hell wouldn't you consider him?!?

What I really DON'T want is the next sexy name, like Diaco was, to come in here and talk about 4 years because he needs his guys. We can't afford that anymore. If Spanos shows himself to be really good, then absolutely he should be considered...
UConn Dan is totally right. I would also recommend spending sufficient money on offensive and defensive coordinators.

Reaction Score
It’s going to be a long 3 months until the next coach is named.

Find a guy that has at least 5 of these on their resume:
under 45
HC experience at D3or lower
NFL coaching experience.
Coordinator with a top 5 FBS program.
Reputation as a successful and relentless recruiter
Has a plan for who will be his key coordinators
Can recruit a staff just as passionate about recruiting as he is

The job of head coach at UConn is going To be a huge rebuild. That means recruiting needs to become exponentially better almost immediately. That takes money to lure great coaches and recruiters.

Edsall was #79 in compensation for FBS schools. Everyone acts like he was cheap money. Does UConn have the money to pay a head coach 3 times as much and still leave a big enough pool to pay coordinators and other coaches? There is no magical, endless pile of money in Storrs.

There will be a line of has been coaches interested in the paycheck. There will also be a bunch of younger lower level coaches D 2 and 3) and coordinators interested. You want the next Luke Frickel. You want the next Matt Campbell. You want the next Chadwell. They all had 5 of the qualities above when hired. You want the next one, because ones like them right now are not going to be lining up for this job.

Reaction Score

Not going to get many more experienced and passionate coaches like Spanos. Have a feeling he was given a try out for a reason. He would be a hell of a bang for a buck as a HC. Also doesn’t come off as a guy looking to jump to a powerhouse right away. Threads the UConn needle perfectly in terms of hiring coaches that’ll stay long enough for stability and won’t jump right away. Im sure he’s AD David Benedict number 1 choice right now.

Reaction Score

We'll be picking 10 games of a dead cat bounce and simply choosing the warm body in front of us rather than trying to find the best candidate.

His defenses have been terrible here thus far and had one year as a defensive coordinator a decade ago at UCLA. Even if he wins games, that's not nearly the entirety of the job, and he's not even been a coordinator for more than 2 seasons 8 years apart.

It would be wildly shortsighted.

Reaction Score
The last game we won (UMass) we had the best QB on the field. This is the most important position on the field and to get a great QB we will need an offensive minded coach as HC. You can find a good defensive coordinator. Trying to win with subpar QB's is one of the biggest reasons Edsall is gone. Add PP and BD to the list though Bryant Shirreffs was a real tough kid and played well enough to get us to a bowl game.
You my friend are right on the money. We need an offensive minded coach who can attract offensive talent!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We'll be picking 10 games of a dead cat bounce and simply choosing the warm body in front of us rather than trying to find the best candidate.

His defenses have been terrible here thus far and had one year as a defensive coordinator a decade ago at UCLA. Even if he wins games, that's not nearly the entirety of the job, and he's not even been a coordinator for more than 2 seasons 8 years apart.

It would be wildly shortsighted to not consider what happens next into your calculus.

Is Spanos the right guy to be the next guy? I haven't the slightest clue. The resume is good. Let's watch the performance and behave accordingly...

Reaction Score

His defense partially sucks Bc the head man refused to let him run the one he wants

Reaction Score
Connection to UConn shouldn't be considered a negative. It just shouldn't be the deciding factor. Moorhead has years of experience as a HC, is offensively minded, and we should be able to double his current salary. Why isn't he the perfect fit?
Because he won't come here!

Reaction Score
I advocated hiring KC back then. We really missed the boat when he was at Northeast. We ended up with coach P that started the Uconn downward spiraling.
You are not wrong we screwed that up big time!

Reaction Score
I liked what I saw on the UConn Blog. Particularly this: "One thing Dave Benedict should not do — and this is the only thing that he should ever listen to us about — is pick the cool kid." I assume this is directed at a possible Orlovsky candidacy. Someone who has never held a coaching job let alone run a program. Flame away Orlovsky fans, but we do not need beginners in this role.
We did that with Ollie!

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Cignetti from JMU
Entz ND State
Moorhead Oregon
Tom Herman
Scott frost is he's fired
Rich Rodriguez
I’m coming around on Cignetti. Everywhere he’s gone he’s won. He also did a heck of a job building up Elon.

Not sure he would leave a sure thing like JMU for another rebuilding job, but he’s shown he can do that work.

Reaction Score
I’m coming around on Cignetti. Everywhere he’s gone he’s won. He also did a heck of a job building up Elon.

Not sure he would leave a sure thing like JMU for another rebuilding job, but he’s shown he can do that work.

Why would he want to take a step back (unless you're going to throw a lot of $$$ at him)? They need to look at the successful coaches who are (re)building mid-major programs. What are their shared attributes? What sets them apart from the rest? Build that profile and then search for your candidate.

Reaction Score
Not going to get many more experienced and passionate coaches like Spanos. Have a feeling he was given a try out for a reason. He would be a hell of a bang for a buck as a HC. Also doesn’t come off as a guy looking to jump to a powerhouse right away. Threads the UConn needle perfectly in terms of hiring coaches that’ll stay long enough for stability and won’t jump right away. Im sure he’s AD David Benedict number 1 choice right now.
That guy isn’t the answer

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom