Who's your list for next HC? | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
SEAN SPENCER. Presently, DL coach with the NY Giants. Formerly, Associate Head Coach @ Penn State. Formerly, a huge factor in the rebuilding program @ Vanderbilt. Recognized as one of college football’s outstanding recruiters. Connecticut roots: played @ Bulkeley (teammate of Mangini), coached at Wesleyan & Trinity. Other stops: UMass (mentored by Don Brown), Holy Cross, Bowling Green). Dynamic personality, premiere motivator, incredible work ethic.
Can’t say you’re not persistent ;)

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Can't believe I haven't see Saban mentioned. Must be tired of all that winning in 'bama and looking for a new challenge. Plus he's got ties to Belichik and Belichik has ties to Wesleyan, so by the transitive property, Saban has ties to Wesleyan. Slam dunk!!

Reaction Score
Agree with most things but I think that just because we are playing against better opponents doesn't necessarily mean it is a better schedule. It is hard to recruit when you are independent and playing for essentially nothing
Anyone not named Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State are playing for nothing.

Yes the program has been bad for a decade save a year or two, but so has Nebraska or Syracuse or USC or Rutgers or BC or Miami.

Because of how CFB playoffs work, none of it matters from at the end of the day. My point is that just because the guy before you was incapable of running a program doesn't mean the job is bad. I would not say those schools listed above are bad jobs, they've just had bad coaching hires the same as UConn.

What these coaches care about it how much money can I make, how much money can be spent on a staff to support me and ensure I succeed, what does success look like at the school, what facilities do I have to work with, is there fan and university support for the program, what kind of roster am I inheriting, what recruiting area am I working with locally, and is this a job I want for my career and/or can this propel to be a better situation.

UConn checks off a lot of those boxes, more than most of the G5, but has room to improve on financial investment of staff. Everything else is already there.

20,000 fans for an FCS opponent after 10 losing seasons respectable. $1.5-2 million is a good salary in CFB. The Rent, Burton, and Shenkman are good to world class facilities, the TV deal is better than any G5 school, get UConn to a bowl and the Rent will be full again and national media will notice to the point that's all it may take to get a low level P5 gig after 10 years of being bad. The roster has some talented players on it and with decent retention should not take a lot to win 6 games in 2022 or 2023 because the schedules combine easy opponents with marquee games. I count 8 winnable games next year with 1 game not scheduled yet and 6 winnable games in 2023 with 3 games not scheduled yet. The situation is t'd up nicely for someone to come in an be a savior in 2-3 years.

Reaction Score
Can’t say you’re not persistent ;)
Spencer is probably ideal for us... He's CT bred... and proven... clearly....

Reaction Score
Anyone not named Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State are playing for nothing.
I was more talking about a conference championship. Totally agree with everything you said after that, I just think the goal should be to get our football program back to a level where an FBS conference would take us football only. If we somehow become a MAC football only school in like 3 years I think that would be best case scenario for our program. It's a lofty goal but I don't think independent is a viable long term solution.

I think this ends with us either joining the colonial in FCS or us making a push for a low level FBS conference.

Reaction Score
20,000 fans for an FCS opponent after 10 losing seasons respectable. $1.5-2 million is a good salary in CFB. The Rent, Burton, and Shenkman are good to world class facilities, the TV deal is better than any G5 school, get UConn to a bowl and the Rent will be full again and national media will notice to the point that's all it may take to get a low level P5 gig after 10 years of being bad. The roster has some talented players on it and with decent retention should not take a lot to win 6 games in 2022 or 2023 because the schedules combine easy opponents with marquee games. I count 8 winnable games next year with 1 game not scheduled yet and 6 winnable games in 2023 with 3 games not scheduled yet. The situation is t'd up nicely for someone to come in an be a savior in 2-3 years.
While obviously embarrassing, there’s something to be said for how much national coverage this program still gets. The name still means something… but it’d be nice to not be the punchline of every CFB joke.

Reaction Score
Agree with most things but I think that just because we are playing against better opponents doesn't necessarily mean it is a better schedule. It is hard to recruit when you are independent and playing for essentially nothing
I disagree that we're playing for nothing... totally disagree... This is FBS level football. The goal for us is to put together a solid football team that gives us the opportunity to go to bowl games... That should be the primary focus now. It's clear... we got a little taste of the Fiesta Bowl, which we weren't completely unprepared for.... It wasn't even close... We were in our growing stage.. Somebody (admin) got big headed, not truly understanding what building a FBS program is about and did hodge podge "corporate" moves... Lost in the sauce...

Let's just get back to getting to bowl games and being competitive game in and game out... over time, the improvements will come and then we'll see what the next step is...

This program can again be exciting and fill The Rent like it did a decade ago.... We just gotta get it right upstairs... Get out of our own way, so all this classless bickering gets ignored... Do your doggone jobs right this time...

Reaction Score
I was more talking about a conference championship. Totally agree with everything you said after that, I just think the goal should be to get our football program back to a level where an FBS conference would take us football only. If we somehow become a MAC football only school in like 3 years I think that would be best case scenario for our program. It's a lofty goal but I don't think independent is a viable long term solution.

I think this ends with us either joining the colonial in FCS or us making a push for a low level FBS conference.
I dont think kids care about conference championships. None carry any weight except certain P5 conferences.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Looking at P5 coordinators and FCS HCs may be too small minded IMO.

with what we can offer in salary, exposure and facilities we should go after MAC and SunBelt HCs.

I like Mike Neu at Ball State, although he may already be at his dream job, coaching his alma mater.

Reaction Score
SEAN SPENCER. Presently, DL coach with the NY Giants. Formerly, Associate Head Coach @ Penn State. Formerly, a huge factor in the rebuilding program @ Vanderbilt. Recognized as one of college football’s outstanding recruiters. Connecticut roots: played @ Bulkeley (teammate of Mangini), coached at Wesleyan & Trinity. Other stops: UMass (mentored by Don Brown), Holy Cross, Bowling Green). Dynamic personality, premiere motivator, incredible work ethic.
Feel like he is in line for DC when ever Graham decides to take an HC position. By all accounts the defense loves him.

Reaction Score
Thinking on it, I'm not sure either Chesney or Suraci would take the UCONN job not because it would not be a step up professionally but because they're working for institutions that make their priorities quite clear and transparent: academics first, athletics second. The UCONN administration seems to be on the fence, wanting it both ways. I firmly believe that given his way Benedict would be doing a whole lot more to upgrade the program, including aggressively lobbying the donor base. But I also think he has to be very careful of running afoul of Herbst, who after all IS his boss and for whatever reason doesn't want athletics occupying too much a place in the school's portfolio messaging. I have no idea why this is. UCONN is at best a top 25 public academic institution, not even close to the rarefied Ivy air it seems to aspire to and really not within spitting distance of the more highly ranked publics like Michigan, UCLA, Texas and UVA. Before we can move forward some people are going to have to be honest with themselves about what comes first or even in tandem, or we'll never make any progress.

I believe that Katsoulias was much more closely aligned with Benedict and if the Board hadn't conspired to get rid of him things would already be moving in a positive direction with the program.

Oh and for God's sake, just start recruiting three stars and even the odd four star, will ya? We might not have success immediately, or even within three years. But the efforts will eventually pay off. If you want to fight with the (semi) big boys then you have to start playing in their sandbox. Just do it. I really don't care who the next HC is so long as they are an AGGRESSIVE recruiter.

Like to the point where if part of the NIL package you have to offer that four star QB from New Jersey includes a sponsorship deal with The Gold Club, fine just get it done. It's only money baby.

Reaction Score
NO, NO, NO. No defensive coaches. UConn needs an offensive minded coach. Someone who teaches offense, recruits offense and can get UConn into the end zone early and often. Defense, for now, needs to take a back seat.

Reaction Score
NO, NO, NO. No defensive coaches. UConn needs an offensive minded coach. Someone who teaches offense, recruits offense and can get UConn into the end zone early and often. Defense, for now, needs to take a back seat.
But but but his nickname is 'COACH CHAOS', LOL. He'll fit right in here!

Reaction Score
If no one has seen this, posting below:
Sidelines - CFB

Replying to
@Brett_McMurphy

If UConn cares about football they will make these immediate hires no matter the price tag. HC: Bobby Petrino OC: Art Briles QB: Rich Rod WR: Kevin Sumlin RB: Willie Taggart OL: Mark Mangino TE: Derek Dooley DC: Charlie Strong DB: Derek Mason DL: Brady Hoke LB: Mike London

Reaction Score
If no one has seen this, posting below:
Sidelines - CFB

Replying to
@Brett_McMurphy

If UConn cares about football they will make these immediate hires no matter the price tag. HC: Bobby Petrino OC: Art Briles QB: Rich Rod WR: Kevin Sumlin RB: Willie Taggart OL: Mark Mangino TE: Derek Dooley DC: Charlie Strong DB: Derek Mason DL: Brady Hoke LB: Mike Londonhhat
That list of coaches needs some disinfecting.

Reaction Score
I'm going to throw another name out there that people may not like but actually might make some sense, how about Mark Whipple, another guy we could have hired in 2011.

I know one thing about Mark Whipple, he has a good eye for QB talent and he can run a decent offense. He won 4 games in each of his last two seasons at UMASS, do you know how hard it is to win 4 games at UMASS? that's like winning 6 or 7 at UCONN. His teams at UMASS always fought hard and had a knack of putting up a lot of points and staying close against P5 competition. In short his teams at UMASS were way ahead of where we are now.

Just spitballing names here I know this one won't be popular. This guy fielded competitive teams on a dime budget with trash facilities.
So we bring in a coach who is even older than guy we fired. At almost as bad second run at umass as guy we just fired. His offenses at Pitt are nothing to write home about. Do you think before you post??

Reaction Score
So we bring in a coach who is even older than guy we fired. At almost as bad second run at umass as guy we just fired. His offenses at Pitt are nothing to write home about. Do you think before you post??

Go back and look at what his teams at UMASS scored and get back to me. Their facilities are rubbish and he did better than Edsall did his second go around. Not even close to my top guy but most of the names being thrown around here aren't going to give us the time of day.

Jerk.

Reaction Score
Great NJ connections. Successful at Bergen and Bosco. …nationally ranked programs. But he hasn’t been a coordinator at the P5 level. Does it matter?
He was interim HC for 8 games so he at least has that experience, better than nothing. Sure he went 1-7 but if you recall Kyle Flood was an absolute disaster so I don't think you can blame him for that.

Thinking on it, I'm not sure either Chesney or Suraci would take the UCONN job not because it would not be a step up professionally but because they're working for institutions that make their priorities quite clear and transparent: academics first, athletics second. The UCONN administration seems to be on the fence, wanting it both ways. I firmly believe that given his way Benedict would be doing a whole lot more to upgrade the program, including aggressively lobbying the donor base. But I also think he has to be very careful of running afoul of Herbst, who after all IS his boss and for whatever reason doesn't want athletics occupying too much a place in the school's portfolio messaging. I have no idea why this is. UCONN is at best a top 25 public academic institution, not even close to the rarefied Ivy air it seems to aspire to and really not within spitting distance of the more highly ranked publics like Michigan, UCLA, Texas and UVA. Before we can move forward some people are going to have to be honest with themselves about what comes first or even in tandem, or we'll never make any progress.

I believe that Katsoulias was much more closely aligned with Benedict and if the Board hadn't conspired to get rid of him things would already be moving in a positive direction with the program.

Oh and for God's sake, just start recruiting three stars and even the odd four star, will ya? We might not have success immediately, or even within three years. But the efforts will eventually pay off. If you want to fight with the (semi) big boys then you have to start playing in their sandbox. Just do it. I really don't care who the next HC is so long as they are an AGGRESSIVE recruiter.

Like to the point where if part of the NIL package you have to offer that four star QB from New Jersey includes a sponsorship deal with The Gold Club, fine just get it done. It's only money baby.
Chesney wouldn't even hesitate to take the gig. Come on now. It's Holy Cross. This is a flagship university of a state. Hell, he'd take the UMass job too.

Surace at least has the excuse that Princeton is his alma mater, but any other Ivy League coach would absolutely take the gig unless for some strange reason Ivy donors ponied up and met a coach's wish list.

Also, what football coach really cares about academics as a deciding factor in their career...the salary, facilities and TV deal alone are all better than what Holy Cross and Princeton has to offer and it's not really close.

And aren't we on like a 3rd President since Herbst left (even if 2 of them were interim?)

Reaction Score
Go back and look at what his teams at UMASS scored and get back to me. Their facilities are rubbish and he did better than Edsall did his second go around. Not even close to my top guy but most of the names being thrown around here aren't going to give us the time of day.

Jerk.
Whipple would be a worse hire than PP was. Let's not kid ourselves. It's UMass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom