Who would be your First Pick,Taurasi,Maya,Parker or Delle Donne? | The Boneyard

Who would be your First Pick,Taurasi,Maya,Parker or Delle Donne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would take Maya first,close between she and D.T.but I consider Maya a better re-bounder and all-around defender.I agree with Coach Geno that Parker is the most talented,but I look at her as another ,Barkley/Malone type,Super Star but lack the grit and leadership to reach the Promise Land even though she has the most talented supporting cast. Delle Donne reminds me of Carmelo,exceptional shooter ,improved re-bounder and defensive player but something is missing.Must prove she has the heart of a Champion.The only one in the group that has Never won a Championship at the College or Pro level.Led a talented cast to the finals last year but pulled a Skylar at crunch time.Turn loose.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
To take one shot? Diana-and whatever shot it might be, she'd hit it.

To have the most years ahead of her at a championship level? Maya.

arch

Reaction Score
I would take Maya first,close between she and D.T.but I consider Maya a better re-bounder and all-around defender.I agree with Coach Geno that Parker is the most talented,but I look at her as another ,Barkley/Malone type,Super Star but lack the grit and leadership to reach the Promise Land even though she has the most talented supporting cast. Delle Donne reminds me of Carmelo,exceptional shooter ,improved re-bounder and defensive player but something is missing.Must prove she has the heart of a Champion.The only one in the group that has Never won a Championship at the College or Pro level.Led a talented cast to the finals last year but pulled a Skylar at crunch time.Turn loose.
Delle Donne. Out shoot, out rebound them all.

Reaction Score
It would depend on if you were talking about each in their prime or choosing one to be the centerpiece of a WNBA-type team. For players in their prime (Note: not saying she's past her prime!) it would be DT hands-down. If I had to pick for putting together a team for the next 5 years, it would be tough to decide between DT and Maya. Does DT have or want another 5 years?​

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Dee. She's simply the best, and if you could only get 1 of the 4, having a guard as big and strong as her who can also play the point makes her the most valuable. I'd take EDD 2nd, Parker 3rd, and Maya 4th. I think Maya might be the best all around player in the world, but she's smaller than Parker and EDD and (again just my opinion), if I were only going to get 1 of them, that's the order I'd choose them in...

Keep in mind it's super close and i'm not saying that EDD or Parker are better than Maya, just that their size and skill set are more unique. Example - Maya is a younger and better version of Catchings. But who in the world is like Parker or EDD (maybe Jackson in her prime?)..

Reaction Score
1. DT (3 NC, 3 WNBA Championships, 3 Olympic Gold)
2. Maya (2 NC, 2 WNBA Championships, 1 Olympic Gold)
3. Parker (2 NC, 2 Olympic Gold)

?. EDD (3 Delaware State High School championships, CAA conference Tournament champion 2013)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would depend on what the team needs. Keep in mind when anyone speaks of rebounding ofc Maya rebounds better because she is a forward. However DT may very well be the greatest rebounding guard ever in her prime. So who are the teammates because a DT led team could be a stronger rebounding team because DT is such a great rebounding sg in her prime. With that said Maya is beginning her prime while DT is past her prime. I abstain. I need to see teammates.

Parker - doesn't shoot well enough for me to be considered greater. For example this year now that she is back- I think her team should be a beast. Frankly, if they are healthy this year I think the Spark are going to be very tough. I sill prefer the player that hits outside shots.

And EDD hasn't sustained anything for a career yet- so imo she doesn't count.

Reaction Score
When Delle Donne accomplishes all that D did, which she can't since she won zero college championships, then you can say she's better than D. What D did her last two years in college, without another superstar and having lost four seniors who became four of the first six picks in the WNBA draft, puts her on top. The goal of team sports is to win championships, not just put up numbers.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
DT

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
When Delle Donne accomplishes all that D did, which she can't since she won zero college championships, then you can say she's better than D. What D did her last two years in college, without another superstar and having lost four seniors who became four of the first six picks in the WNBA draft, puts her on top. The goal of team sports is to win championships, not just put up numbers.

This is confusing. You understand that you're talking about team sports but don't seem to want to attribute success or failure to the rest of the team.

Robert Horry has won 7 NBA titles, which is one more than Kareem, Michael Jordan, and Bob Cousy. Will those three ever be the player that Robert Horry was? Or were they far, far greater players who just diddn't play on as many teams that won titles?

Maria Conlon has three rings. Maya Moore has two. Will Maya ever "accomplish all that [Maria] did" so that we can say Maya was a better player?

See the point?

I'm not saying EDD is better than D but looking at titles won as a way to assess a player in a team sport is not great.

Reaction Score
If you're talking picking them in their prime, I'd go DT, Maya, & EDD! Maya's the better ATHLETE but DT will cut your throat to win!
I wouldn't want Parker to wear my team's uniform or sit in my gym! She's the Kobe of the women's game, watch me dunk, watch me not them I'm the best ever! Can't you see how great I am? After she does a dunk or something fancy the first thing she does is look to mug for the cameras!
Geno called DT the greatest WINNER in the history of WBB! That's good enough for me!
As stated above in other posts, paraphrasing, DT & Maya would kill to win! EDD has to show she has the grit to take over on offense and defense to will her team to victory!
I go back to the UCONN Captain's pre-practice where EDD was walking or jogging up and down the court and Kalana Greene basically said "Move your a-s Bi--ch, if you think you're going to do that with Geno & CD you're nuts!" At 6am the next morning EDD was in a car going home to Delaware! She didn't want that pressure every day at UCONN! Greene was called on the carpet by Geno & CD, but the other players backed Kalana and said, Geno you would have gone insane! EDD is a lot better now but she's never been pushed like Geno Auriemma can push!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Millennia from now, when the sacred runes are translated, people will read of the exploits of Prester John in Cathay, of the greatness and nobility of Lucius Quinctius Cincinatus, and of the nonpareil Diana Taurasi taking the post-TASS UConn team on her back and leading them to two more championships.

Case closed.

Reaction Score
I am completely biased so my pick has no social redeeming value. How I can pick anybody but Taurasi as the best of all time and MM second. Parker and EDD are extremely talented but, no WNBA rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom