Who would be your First Pick,Taurasi,Maya,Parker or Delle Donne? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who would be your First Pick,Taurasi,Maya,Parker or Delle Donne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DT is very simply the best player of all time so she is first in this draft! After her I'll go Maya, Parker and EDD. It is possible that EDD will take over third and maybe even second place if we do this draft in 3-4 years and see what she can do at her peak.

Reaction Score
The best player Parker has played with is a retiring Lisa Leslie followed by Nneka who plays the same position.

The only player who has led her team to a title with a worse supporting cast than Parker is Catchings and that's a credit to her.

For the record: Parker, DT, EDD, Griner, Moore
For the record, I tallied up the votes in this thread (up to now of course). Did it 2 ways:

1) I included every post that could be counted as a 'vote', except I only counted one per poster (sorry Eric). I interpreted ambiguous posts as follows:
- Counted "For the player in her prime" over "But as of right now..."
- Counted the first player mentioned in the post for other multiple #1 choices, i.e. "This player for that, that player for this..."
Results:
DT 22 (76%)
Maya 2 (7%)
Parker 2 (7%) (Both form TN fans)
EDD 1 (3%)
Stewie 1 (3%) (write-in)
Shannon Bobbitt 1 (3%) (write-in)

2) Then, to eliminate subjective analytical bias from moi, I threw out my arbitrary assignment of the votes for "Prime vs. right now" posts and "This for that, that for this" posts, and only counted the definitive votes. I also excluded the write-ins and considered only the candidates from the OP's original poll question.
Results:
DT 19 (83%)
Parker 2 (9%)
Maya 1 (4%)
EDD 1 (4%)

Not sure how many precincts remain to report, but I'm calling DT in the biggest landslide ever.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno has the deciding vote IMO and he has voted on this many times, always the same. Most recently he pointed out a fact that he considered definitive: that DT took over a brand new starting 5 in her junior year and produced 2 Nat'l Championships with it. I'll go with the Coach. Second place is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Geno has the deciding vote IMO and he has voted on this many times, always the same. Most recently he pointed out a fact that he considered definitive: that DT took over a brand new starting 5 in her junior year and produced 2 Nat'l Championships with it. I'll go with the Coach. Second place is irrelevant.
2nd place is irrelevant when the 1st place candidate gets 4X as many votes as all the other candidates combined.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would take Maya first,close between she and D.T.but I consider Maya a better re-bounder and all-around defender.I agree with Coach Geno that Parker is the most talented,but I look at her as another ,Barkley/Malone type,Super Star but lack the grit and leadership to reach the Promise Land even though she has the most talented supporting cast. Delle Donne reminds me of Carmelo,exceptional shooter ,improved re-bounder and defensive player but something is missing.Must prove she has the heart of a Champion.The only one in the group that has Never won a Championship at the College or Pro level.Led a talented cast to the finals last year but pulled a Skylar at crunch time.Turn loose.

To borrow a phrase from our HOF brother Chris Carter: "C'mon man". :confused: Willie, you just want to start some mess. Asking this question is like asking someone which would they rather have cut off, an arm or a leg.

ALL of these ladies are super stars.

All of these ladies are the best players on their respective teams.

All of these ladies are extremely hard to defend (impossible when they find their rhythm, or they're in a zone).

All of these ladies can fill it up, and bring a different dynamic to the table.

All have a will to win.

All have a high BB IQ.

All are leaders.

There many words that describe these ladies. The one I like best is: Scoring machines

These ladies can walk into a gym (or arena) and enter a game cold (no warm-up) and drop 20.
I've seen ALL of them hit shots with their defensive man draped all over them like a cheap suit, and the ball hits nothing but the bottom of the net.

Except for Della Donne, ALL have won a championship at some level (NCAA, Olympic Gold, etc).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I go back to the UCONN Captain's pre-practice where EDD was walking or jogging up and down the court and Kalana Greene basically said "Move your a-s Bi--ch, if you think you're going to do that with Geno & CD you're nuts!" At 6am the next morning EDD was in a car going home to Delaware! She didn't want that pressure every day at UCONN! Greene was called on the carpet by Geno & CD, but the other players backed Kalana and said, Geno you would have gone insane! EDD is a lot better now but she's never been pushed like Geno Auriemma can push!
It is sad when someone implies that EDD left UCONN because she wasn't up to the pressure. There has been so much information put out there why she left it is ashamed these kind of comments are made.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is sad when someone implies that EDD left UCONN because she wasn't up to the pressure. There has been so much information put out there why she left it is ashamed these kind of comments are made.

Perhaps you were not around then Reno, because the only information coming through at that time was what RSHERMVIKES is mentioning (and similar). It would be inaccurate to suggest that for a player who would later admit to burn out since her junior year in HS that the intensity she encountered on arriving at UConn played no part in her abrupt departure.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you were not around then Reno, because the only information coming through at that time was what RSHERMVIKES is mentioning (and similar). It would be inaccurate to suggest that for a player who would later admit to burn out since her junior year in HS that the intensity she encountered on arriving at UConn played no part in her abrupt departure.
That is all fine. But it isn't then, it is now, and we have a lot more information about EDD, her sister and the reasons she left UCONN. Not once did I read anything about any pressure during her one day stay at UCONN. I responded to what appeared to me was someone's reasoning why she left UCONN. Someone yelled at her and called her a bad name. I find it sad that some people still spread that information as fact.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That is all fine. But it isn't then, it is now, and we have a lot more information about EDD, her sister and the reasons she left UCONN. Not once did I read anything about any pressure during her one day stay at UCONN. I responded to what appeared to me was someone's reasoning why she left UCONN. Someone yelled at her and called her a bad name. I find it sad that some people still spread that information as fact.

"that information" is fact. Greene did jump on her and others were not happy. How it entered the mix for EDD is conjecture and opinion, but it is a respectable opinion; maybe not a PC opinion , but respectable, fact based and entirely logical given what EDD has admitted was her state of mind about basketball at the time.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I thought it was Renee...! Guess she was running slow cause she was tired and didn't really wanna play, KG could have put her over the top?

Reaction Score
Yes, because they were really good pitchers.
No, they weren't! They were pretty much journey men pitchers who had success based more on the Yankee lineup than their own skill set! I'm a life long Yankee fan and they aren't even close! Bob Turley was a much better pitcher than either of these guys and I know there was others whose names don't come to mind who were far, far better than Terry and Stafford!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, they weren't! They were pretty much journey men pitchers who had success based more on the Yankee lineup than their own skill set! I'm a life long Yankee fan and you aren't even close! Bob Turley was a much better pitcher than either of these guys and I know there was others whose names don't come to mind who were far, far better than Terry and Stafford!
Ralph Terry had a won lost record of 107-99 which is totally marginal, considering the juggernaut the Yankees were during his time with them. Bill Stafford had a 43-40 lifetime won lost record so for you to mention him is just a bit strange to me. They had a bit of success with the Yankees in a couple of year period during the very early 60's but not enough that I would mention their names in the same breath as Whitey Ford!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Ralph Terry had a won lost record of 107-99 which is totally marginal, considering the juggernaut the Yankees were during his time with them. Bill Stafford had a 43-40 lifetime won lost record so for you to mention him is just a bit strange to me. They had a bit of success with the Yankees in a couple of year period during the very early 60's but not enough that I would mention their names in the same breath as Whitey Ford!

Yes, they both had success for a while and contributed to a number of championship seasons. Terry was 78-59 for the Yankees.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
To borrow a phrase from our HOF brother Chris Carter: "C'mon man". :confused: Willie, you just want to start some mess. Asking this question is like asking someone which would they rather have cut off, an arm or a leg.
Easy, left arm.

Reaction Score
Great thread. I have to find the time to read through this. Of the top of my head I would choose Delle Donne.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is confusing. You understand that you're talking about team sports but don't seem to want to attribute success or failure to the rest of the team.

Robert Horry has won 7 NBA titles, which is one more than Kareem, Michael Jordan, and Bob Cousy. Will those three ever be the player that Robert Horry was? Or were they far, far greater players who just diddn't play on as many teams that won titles?

Maria Conlon has three rings. Maya Moore has two. Will Maya ever "accomplish all that [Maria] did" so that we can say Maya was a better player?

See the point?

I'm not saying EDD is better than D but looking at titles won as a way to assess a player in a team sport is not great.
Yes and no Wally. I agree with your point, generally, (and on the men's board we occasionally note that Tyler Olander has won more national championships than Jim Beoheim, much to the annoyance of our Syracuse guests) but the other side of the coin are many 'would be greats' that never won a national championship. There is something to say for putting yourself in a place to succeed, putting in the very hard necessary to do so, and then getting it done. FWIW, two of Di's three championships were without an all-star complement of players. As noted by Geno, that's pretty special.

I think ignoring titles won as a way to assess a a player in a team sport is (also) not great.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Delle Donne reminds me of Carmelo,exceptional shooter ,improved re-bounder and defensive player but something is missing.Must prove she has the heart of a Champion.The only one in the group that has Never won a Championship at the College or Pro level.Led a talented cast to the finals last year but pulled a Skylar at crunch time.Turn loose.

Elena scored 17 points in the 4th quarter to help erase a 20-point deficit against Atlanta (the East 1-seed) last year in the playoffs. She managed that after suffering a back injury early in that series (game 1, I think) that worsened throughout the playoffs. By the time the Phoenix series rolled around, she could barely play. She only played 11 minutes in game 1. She still came back to put up 22 and 23 points in the final two games.

I don't think the implication that she performed poorly at crunch time in last year's playoffs is either fair or accurate. As for championships, she obviously never had a chance at Delaware. Just getting them to the Sweet 16 is a huge accomplishment. The Sky had never been to the playoffs before she arrived and in her 2nd year she took them to the Finals while battling a bad back. She may not have the championships, but she's a winner. She's only really had one fair shot (healthy and surrounded by sufficient talent) and that was her rookie year in the WNBA.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
To respond to the OP: I would take Maya. I think she's a little bit more cold-blooded than Parker. EDD is tough to pick because of the Lyme and she seems to be a little fragile in general. I didn't really follow the women's game closely for much of Diana's career, so I could be underrating her. Statistically, Maya's numbers are a little better in the overall metrics (e.g. PER, Win Shares). Diana's intangibles are obviously off the charges, but so are Maya's, so I would lean towards Maya.

If we're taking the players at their current age, I definitely feel comfortable taking Maya (having seen all of them play in person within the last two season). If we're getting Diana in her athletic prime, it's possible that Diana is the better choice.

Reaction Score

upload_2015-9-8_10-29-21.png

Yes, they both had success for a while and contributed to a number of championship seasons. Terry was 78-59 for the Yankees.
Fact: Ralph Terry had a 57% winning percentage as a Yankee and 42% as a non-Yankee.

Speculation: I think Mickey Mantle may have had something to do with it.

upload_2015-9-8_10-29-21.png

Wally East

Reaction Score
Fact: Ralph Terry had a 57% winning percentage as a Yankee and 42% as a non-Yankee.

Speculation: I think Mickey Mantle may have had something to do with it.

View attachment 10454

You realize that's EXACTLY my point, right? :D Teammates determine your success.

Reaction Score
You realize that's EXACTLY my point, right? :D Teammates determine your success.
From your post on Sunday: "Yeah, but to get those rings, Mickey also needed Whitey Ford, Bill Stafford, and Ralph Terry."

I don't think Ralph Terry made a lick of difference in Mickey's success - basically a 50/50 career pitcher only because he played with the Yankees for more than half of that career - his non-Yankee-aided record was 42%. It might be a stretch, but one could even infer that Mickey was successful in spite of Ralph Terry.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Really, really ...bleeping Mickey Mantle and Ralph Terry.... and OT snore SNORE that I have to click into 'cuz the thread is about a UConner I care about!!! Holy Merde.

Wally East

Reaction Score
There is something to say for putting yourself in a place to succeed, putting in the very hard necessary to do so, and then getting it done.

And then choosing to go to UConn :D (or signing the Yankees.)

FWIW, two of Di's three championships were without an all-star complement of players. As noted by Geno, that's pretty special.

This idea that D played with four stuffed shirts needs to be put to bed.

Ann Strother was a high school NPOY. Barbara Turner was a USA Today and WBCA high school All-American. Ashley Battle was a WBCA All-American. Willnett Crockett was a WBCA high school All-American. (Crockett, Strother, and Turner were accompanied as incoming freshmen by Nicole Wolff, another WBCA high school All-American who got hurt and never was able to contribute. All in that class: Gillian Goring. I think she's going to transfer to UConn next year :) )

These were not players that struggled to make a varsity team in high school. They were really, really good players. Were they among the all-time greats at UConn? No but that is a ridiculously high standard.

Certainly far, far beyond players on EDD's Delaware teams.

I think ignoring titles won as a way to assess a a player in a team sport is (also) not great.

It's better than the alternative. Tony Gwynn is not any less of a hitter because he never played for a championship team. Neither is Ernie Banks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom