Who would be your First Pick,Taurasi,Maya,Parker or Delle Donne? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who would be your First Pick,Taurasi,Maya,Parker or Delle Donne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
From your post on Sunday: "Yeah, but to get those rings, Mickey also needed Whitey Ford, Bill Stafford, and Ralph Terry."

I don't think Ralph Terry made a lick of difference in Mickey's success - basically a 50/50 career pitcher only because he played with the Yankees for more than half of that career - his non-Yankee-aided record was 42%. It might be a stretch, but one could even infer that Mickey was successful in spite of Ralph Terry.

Huh. Imagine that. A pitcher wins less games when not playing with the Yankees. :rolleyes:

Terry had some good seasons early in his career and from 1959 through 1963, hwwas above average to well above average (yes, you can be an above-average pitcher and still go 3 and 7). He got hurt in 1964 and was never the same pitcher.

Stafford, from 1960 to 1965, ranged from about average to really, really good (except for 1963, when he was awful). By looking at the stats, I'd say his arm was destroyed by pitching more than 200 innings when he was just 23.

Reaction Score
Tony Gwynn is not any less of a hitter because he never played for a championship team. Neither is Ernie Banks.
And Dan Marino was a great passer and Patrick Ewing was a great center. And EDD is a great rebounder and great shooter, and she's tall, and really pretty. DT is a great winner. Her teams win because of her. If I wanna WIN, I'm taking DT first every time.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
And Dan Marino was a great passer and Patrick Ewing was a great center. And EDD is a great rebounder and great shooter, and she's tall, and really pretty. DT is a great winner. Her teams win because of her. If I wanna WIN, I'm taking DT first every time.

Taurasi has also had way more chances to win and played on much better teams. There is obviously no fair comparison between UConn and Delaware, so we only really have two seasons of WNBA to judge Delle Donne on.

So far she's been to the playoffs twice, including the Finals once and the Sky are already clinched for the playoffs this year. Taurasi didn't make the WNBA playoffs until her 4th year.

Lumping Delle Donne in with Marino and Ewing at this stage of her career is frankly absurd.

Reaction Score
Taurasi has also had way more chances to win and played on much better teams. There is obviously no fair comparison between UConn and Delaware, so we only really have two seasons of WNBA to judge Delle Donne on.

So far she's been to the playoffs twice, including the Finals once and the Sky are already clinched for the playoffs this year. Taurasi didn't make the WNBA playoffs until her 4th year.

Lumping Delle Donne in with Marino and Ewing at this stage of her career is frankly absurd.
All that's fine. If I'm picking my team, I pick DT first

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Are write-in votes allowed? I think even a little more height is needed.

After watching BG with DT and then without, I pick DT. She demands the best from her teammates and makes them better than they ever knew they could be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would say Diana mainly because she runs the point and can effect the game in so many ways. I'm thinking that had EDD finished her career at UCONN, championships or not she'd recieve far more respect than she's getting. I would take her second in a heart beat.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
her lack of finishing at uconn shows some that she isn't serious about being the head honcho of a team..., not sure if she'll finish what she starts. That's all.... but as a basketball player she's awesome

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
her lack of finishing at uconn shows some that she isn't serious about being the head honcho of a team..., not sure if she'll finish what she starts. That's all.... but as a basketball player she's awesome

People change between 18 and 26.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
People change between 18 and 26.
again... in their prime, early on, not talking about the pro, before the Olympics etc. the criteria is all over the place that's why these things are silly.

and my post is why some will not pick her, still disgruntled. Wasn't talking about her changing just way people wouldn't select her

Reaction Score

I absolutely agree with this. Diana is a great player- she's got skill, talent & work ethic to die for. But it is her attitude that makes her my #1 pick every time. She has that incredible drive to win and it is infectious.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
again... in their prime, early on, not talking about the pro, before the Olympics etc. the criteria is all over the place that's why these things are silly.

and my post is why some will not pick her, still disgruntled. Wasn't talking about her changing just way people wouldn't select her

I kind of glossed over the "shows some" part the first time. My bad. So my post should have been - "Some people need to consider that people change between 18 and 26".

That's my inner Sky fan showing - I get defensive of EDD.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Delle Donne was obviously included for trolling purposes only.

Reaction Score
How could anyone not take DT as their #1? Who the hell else shoots a 3/4 court shot and calmly sinks it at the buzzer against a hated rival and walks off the court acting as if she had done it a dozen times before?

Reaction Score
I'm assuming you'd take Holdsclaw over Moore.
Ooh - that's a tough one. Holdsclaw wasn't on the OP's ballot so I'll take a mulligan on that one. But to clarify, if Stewie had already won 4 NCs and was one of the choices, I would still take DT first without hesitation.

Reaction Score
Diana without even a blink. She has something that no one else has...........swagger! Oh, she can play some ball

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Ooh - that's a tough one. Holdsclaw wasn't on the OP's ballot so I'll take a mulligan on that one. But to clarify, if Stewie had already won 4 NCs and was one of the choices, I would still take DT first without hesitation.

Confounding :D

Reaction Score
My Picks

1. Volleyball:

EDD no contest here.

2. Basketball: 5 seconds on the clock trailing by 2

DT

3. Basketball: 1 full season

Maya Moore

4. To deliver eulogy at Pat Summit's funeral

Parker

5. Dating:

Good question

6. Bodyguard against Rhonda Rousey:

DT

Reaction Score

That's fine but we also need "context" of making the playoffs and then getting to the finals. I'm not arguing but who was DT's team when she joined, did they change their style and who was their competition in the West? Her team the year before was 8-26. EDD's team was 14-20. Their 1st year- DT's team went 17-17 while EDD's went 24-10.

An 8-26 team you have a lot more holes. And I tend to think EDD's cast was tailor-made for needing another scorer. And in regards to getting to the finals, would EDD have gotten there if her team was in the West? IMO they would have been 4th best team from the West. Even then San Antonio was pretty good. They did have a better record than the Sky though we know EDD was hurt. Anyhow EDD getting to the finals imo needs to be taken in context.

EDD just doesn't belong here in this discussion yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Taurasi in her prime!Cheryl Miller for Southern California should be in discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom