Who would be your First Pick,Taurasi,Maya,Parker or Delle Donne? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who would be your First Pick,Taurasi,Maya,Parker or Delle Donne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I find thread interesting, but many of the comments flawed vis-a-vis the OP's question. He was not asking "who's accomplished the most" or "who has had the greatest impact on their teams", he's asking in a hypothetical draft, who would be your first pick.

It's irrelevant that Parker and EDD have been on teams that have accomplished little in the WNBA. It's irrelevant that Parker "only" won 2 NCAA's and EDD 0. It has to do with the skill sets, leadership, and talent they bring.

I believe that Maya is probably the 2nd best player in the world behind Dee right now, followed very closely by Parker, but Maya would be chosen 4th in my hypothetical draft because her size and skill set is not as unique.

Dee is 1st, hands down, and it's not even really close. As I said above, you want to start a team, not only is it a no brainer to take the best in the world, but a player who can play the 1, as well as score at will, is going to be the linchpin of your team. Almost any coach will tell you that the PG is the most important position on the team.

It's close between EDD and Parker for who I'd take 2nd - probably EDD because she can play the 2-5 while Parker is really a 3-5. I think EDD's ball handling and decision making trumps Parker's athleticism, but it's really a crapshoot between those 2.

In my hypothetical, Maya comes 4th - not because she's less good, or has accomplished less, but because while she's one of the best in the world, her skillset is much more common. She's a better version of Tamika Catchings. Honestly, if the OP had added Stewie to that list, I'd pick her before Maya as well - Name another player who is 6'4", has a 7' wingspan, and can do the things on the court Stewie can.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In their primes/same age - DT no question - her ability to make those around her better and her passing added to her other skills is unmatched.
I would say Maya second - for the same reasons.
After those two, Parker, EDD, Griner are all in a pool.

Based on today - EDD or Maya - because they are younger.

Reaction Score
This is confusing. You understand that you're talking about team sports but don't seem to want to attribute success or failure to the rest of the team.

Robert Horry has won 7 NBA titles, which is one more than Kareem, Michael Jordan, and Bob Cousy. Will those three ever be the player that Robert Horry was? Or were they far, far greater players who just diddn't play on as many teams that won titles?

Maria Conlon has three rings. Maya Moore has two. Will Maya ever "accomplish all that [Maria] did" so that we can say Maya was a better player?

See the point?

I'm not saying EDD is better than D but looking at titles won as a way to assess a player in a team sport is not great.
I think the 4 suggested candidates are already acknowledged as being great players. 3 of them have won titles to one degree or another. They are different ages and in different stages of their careers so, even if titles were a good measure, the jury is still out. I agree that titles alone is not a good measure, but for me it's part of it. EDD hasn't ever won anything at a high level and wouldn't be my first pick.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I go back to the UCONN Captain's pre-practice where EDD was walking or jogging up and down the court and Kalana Greene basically said "Move your a-s Bi--ch, if you think you're going to do that with Geno & CD you're nuts!" At 6am the next morning EDD was in a car going home to Delaware! She didn't want that pressure every day at UCONN! Greene was called on the carpet by Geno & CD, but the other players backed Kalana and said, Geno you would have gone insane! EDD is a lot better now but she's never been pushed like Geno Auriemma can push!
oh... That's how it went down! I thought Renee was the one that yelled some stuff at her!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
If you are starting out you want a great player who can make even a team of mediocre players perform at the highest level. The epitome of this is Larry Bird and Indiana State. It's harder to come by an example of that on the women's side. Neither Taurasi, Parker nor Moore were in such a situation. Taurasi comes closest with the inexperienced team she led to a championship; otherwise, only EDD played for a team comparable to Indiana State ...

... and she proved to be no Larry Bird. That's not a knock on EDD, she still might very well be the best overall player (though, I'd vote for Moore) but she cannot make players better like Bird ... or Taurasi. Parker leading Delaware? I don't think they get any farther in the tournament than with EDD. Same for Moore. But I do believe that Taurasi would have emulated Bird and delivered Delaware to the Final Four ....

... where they would have lost to a team like UConn or Notre Dame, just like a Magic Johnson led Michigan State.

Reaction Score
If you're talking picking them in their prime, I'd go DT, Maya, & EDD! Maya's the better ATHLETE but DT will cut your throat to win!
I wouldn't want Parker to wear my team's uniform or sit in my gym! She's the Kobe of the women's game, watch me dunk, watch me not them I'm the best ever! Can't you see how great I am? After she does a dunk or something fancy the first thing she does is look to mug for the cameras!
Geno called DT the greatest WINNER in the history of WBB! That's good enough for me!
As stated above in other posts, paraphrasing, DT & Maya would kill to win! EDD has to show she has the grit to take over on offense and defense to will her team to victory!
I go back to the UCONN Captain's pre-practice where EDD was walking or jogging up and down the court and Kalana Greene basically said "Move your a-s Bi--ch, if you think you're going to do that with Geno & CD you're nuts!" At 6am the next morning EDD was in a car going home to Delaware! She didn't want that pressure every day at UCONN! Greene was called on the carpet by Geno & CD, but the other players backed Kalana and said, Geno you would have gone insane! EDD is a lot better now but she's never been pushed like Geno Auriemma can push!
That Kalana Greene is one tough cookie, but that exemplifies why UConn is where it is.

Reaction Score
Neither did Ted Williams.
Neither did any other Red Sox player between 1918 and 2004 (1918 was their last series win of the 20th century and they did it with the help of a true with a true superstar - Babe Ruth. The series wins followed the superstar, BTW :D)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Neither did any other Red Sox player between 1918 and 2004 (1918 was their last series win of the 20th century and they did it with the help of a true with a true superstar - Babe Ruth. The series wins followed the superstar, BTW :D)

So, Paul O'Neill and Bernie Williams were better than Ted Williams?

Reaction Score
So, Paul O'Neill and Bernie Williams were better than Ted Williams?
No, Ted was a great hitter, but he apparently didn't have enough 'umph' to get them over the hump. Or he wasn't focused in that direction.

Ted considered himself a hitting 'scientist.' Mickey Mantle said every year at the All Star game Ted would sit next to him in the dugout and coach him on the science of hitting (like Mickey needed that). Mickey said then he wouldn't get a hit for 2 weeks after the all Star game - was thinking about it too much. Mickey didn't think about it, or try to count the stitches on the ball - he just did it. No evidence Ted was obsessed with applying all his greatness to winning, vs. his batting average.

But he was a great hitter. Maybe Ted was the EDD of baseball - great stats/no championships.

Wally East

Reaction Score
No, Ted was a great hitter, but he apparently didn't have enough 'umph' to get them over the hump. Or he wasn't focused in that direction.

This is exactly the sentiment that doesn't make any sense. Aside from the fact that in baseball hitting leads directly to scoring runs (well, more precisely, getting on base leads to scoring runs), there's half of the game Ted had no input in, had nothing to do with -- pitching. He had no control over how the Sox picthed. But, you know, he didn't have enough "umph" to will his pitchers to win games? :rolleyes:

The same principle applies across team sports. Each player can only do so much. Michael Jordan didn't win any championships until he was surrounded with good teammates. D won rings in '03 and '04 because along with being a fantastic player, her teammates were really pretty good (including a high school NPOY). Delaware didn't have players like that, not even close. Everyone needs teammates.

And Ted was a much better hitter than Mantle no matter how you measure it.

Reaction Score
1) D won rings in '03 and '04 because along with being a fantastic player, her teammates were really pretty good (including a high school NPOY). Delaware didn't have players like that, not even close. Everyone needs teammates.

2) And Ted was a much better hitter than Mantle no matter how you measure it.
1) D wins rings because that is an absolute MUST for her, and she has the 'umph' to pull it off - high school, college, WNBA, Europe, Olympics, wherever she goes. Just lucky, I guess.

2) What did it matter if Ted was a better hitter if he didn't win? (Herm Edwards impression: "You play to win the game.") Mickey wasn't all that bad of a hitter, IIRC. I'd rather be Mickey and have the rings.

Reaction Score
1) D wins rings because that is an absolute MUST for her, and she has the 'umph' to pull it off - high school, college, WNBA, Europe, Olympics, wherever she goes. Just lucky, I guess.

2) What did it matter if Ted was a better hitter if he didn't win? (Herm Edwards impression: "You play to win the game.") Mickey wasn't all that bad of a hitter, IIRC. I'd rather be Mickey and have the rings.

What about the years DT didn't win a championship. It wan't a must for her those years?

Wally East

Reaction Score

So, in 2005, when Phoenix was 16-18? Or 2008 when they were 16-18? Or 2010 when they were 15-19? What about those years? Not a must for D in those years? In the 10 seasons she played most of the team's games, Phoenix only made the playoffs 6 times, let alone win a title and they've only won three titles What happened?

2) What did it matter if Ted was a better hitter if he didn't win? (Herm Edwards impression: "You play to win the game.")

Because winning on a team isn't up to just one person and Williams contributed more to his team than Mantle did (and, actually, almost everyone else ever) That is literally the entire point of what I'm saying.

Mickey wasn't all that bad of a hitter, I'd rather be Mickey and have the rings.

Yeah, but to get those rings, Mickey also needed Whitey Ford, Bill Stafford, and Ralph Terry.

You know who wins on their own? Serena Williams. Usain Bolt. Paula Radcliffe. Tiger Woods.

You know doesn't win on their own? Joe Montana. Reggie Jackson. Tom Brady. Kobe Bryant.

And Diana Taurasi.

Reaction Score
What about the years DT didn't win a championship. It wan't a must for her those years?
Shoot for the moon and you'll never end up with a handful of dust. Can't win 'em all, but for some it does seem to be a regular habit.

Reaction Score
Well it's hard to have lived through the Dee era at Uconn and not consider her to be the in a class by herself and therefore worthy of the first pick. Maya has the most skill, and coming out of college Parker certainly seemed to be destined to be a great pro.

I'm surprised with the lack of love that EDD is getting. The fact that she led Delaware to its two best seasons ever means something to me. Championships are won by teams and no one player can carry a team all the way to the trophy, unless her name is Taurasi.

The four candidates are all impact players but I'd go DT, Maya, EDD and then Parker based on their ability to take over a game, and because of it, to inspire by example.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
I would take Maya first,close between she and D.T.but I consider Maya a better re-bounder and all-around defender.I agree with Coach Geno that Parker is the most talented,but I look at her as another ,Barkley/Malone type,Super Star but lack the grit and leadership to reach the Promise Land even though she has the most talented supporting cast. Delle Donne reminds me of Carmelo,exceptional shooter ,improved re-bounder and defensive player but something is missing.Must prove she has the heart of a Champion.The only one in the group that has Never won a Championship at the College or Pro level.Led a talented cast to the finals last year but pulled a Skylar at crunch time.Turn loose.

I understand this is a UConn board so their is a natural bias there but you've got to be kidding saying Parker has had the most talented supporting cast...

DT hasn't won a title without Cappie Pondexter or Brittney Griner and Moore plays with THREE other Olympians plus Brunson who should've been on the team over Cash or Jones but that's another story. I realize Fowles wasn't there for her titles but Minnesota has had the most stacked roster until Phoenix tanked for Griner.

The best player Parker has played with is a retiring Lisa Leslie followed by Nneka who plays the same position.

The only player who has led her team to a title with a worse supporting cast than Parker is Catchings and that's a credit to her.

For the record: Parker, DT, EDD, Griner, Moore

Reaction Score
So, in 2005, when Phoenix was 16-18? Or 2008 when they were 16-18? Or 2010 when they were 15-19? What about those years? Not a must for D in those years? In the 10 seasons she played most of the team's games, Phoenix only made the playoffs 6 times, let alone win a title and they've only won three titles What happened?

Because winning on a team isn't up to just one person and Williams contributed more to his team than Mantle did (and, actually, almost everyone else ever) That is literally the entire point of what I'm saying.

Yeah, but to get those rings, Mickey also needed Whitey Ford, Bill Stafford, and Ralph Terry.

You know who wins on their own? Serena Williams. Usain Bolt. Paula Radcliffe. Tiger Woods.

You know doesn't win on their own? Joe Montana. Reggie Jackson. Tom Brady. Kobe Bryant.

And Diana Taurasi.
Bill Stafford and Ralph Terry???? Of all the outstanding players Mantle played with, you came up with Bill Stafford and Ralph Terry????

Reaction Score
I understand this is a UConn board so their is a natural bias there but you've got to be kidding saying Parker has had the most talented supporting cast...

DT hasn't won a title without Cappie Pondexter or Brittney Griner and Moore plays with THREE other Olympians plus Brunson who should've been on the team over Cash or Jones but that's another story. I realize Fowles wasn't there for her titles but Minnesota has had the most stacked roster until Phoenix tanked for Griner.

The best player Parker has played with is a retiring Lisa Leslie followed by Nneka who plays the same position.

The only player who has led her team to a title with a worse supporting cast than Parker is Catchings and that's a credit to her.

For the record: Parker, DT, EDD, Griner, Moore

Don't agree what you're saying.

You give a convenient excuse with Parker and Nneka why they haven't been successful.

What happens if someone plays same position as DT? She can play the other guard position.

What happens with Maya?-- she is a 2/3/4. She can go anywhere.

DT and Maya are ahead of Parker. These aren't one-on-one games. Nowadays the ability to shoot and score from three is huge and it spreads the floor thus indirectly it makes other teammates better. Parker NEEDS shooters. Her outside shot is okay but not much better than that. All Maya needs is a simple pick. DT doesn't.

For the record, EDD doesn't belong on here. She was out basically for the whole year in 14-15 and it is questionable what she can lead. Why did Chicago's center leave after a couple of years? Not EDD's fault but wasn't able to convince to stay for a title either. he may still be an injury prone player. We'll see.

Reaction Score
DT
MM
Parker
EDD

I would put TBS in the third spot.

Wally East

Reaction Score
Bill Stafford and Ralph Terry???? Of all the outstanding players Mantle played with, you came up with Bill Stafford and Ralph Terry????

Yes, because they were really good pitchers.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its Diana and its not even close. She had a flair for the dramatic at the most critical times especially in big games on the big stage. She made those around her better and scored when she had to. She could put the team on her back and run the show. There isn't a player in WBB that can do what she can do. There is only one number 1 and its Diana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom