Who will be the next OC? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Who will be the next OC?

Who will be the next OC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed, def no evidence, but the Warde/Diaco connection combined with the delay lead me to that conclusion. Def could be wrong, actually I hope I am wrong, I hope Bob gets his first choice.

In related news:

Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky 48m48 minutes ago
Hearing UConn OC should be finalized by end of next week. #BleedBlue

That will only be three weeks before spring ball and every day counts, would hope to see a much greater sense of urgency and have this nailed down early in week. Even if Quinn was the guy they were holding out for, would think they have a pool of candidates they interviewed and have a pecking order of who they wanted and reach out to next guy on list.

Not familiar with hiring laws for UCONN, can they reach out and interview candidates who did not apply for the original posting? Or if they want to go outside the applied candidates do they have to re-post the position.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agreed, def no evidence, but the Warde/Diaco connection combined with the delay lead me to that conclusion. Def could be wrong, actually I hope I am wrong, I hope Bob gets his first choice.

In related news:

Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky 48m48 minutes ago
Hearing UConn OC should be finalized by end of next week. #BleedBlue

The fact that 1) the hiring announcement has been delayed since much later than the job posting (which we all know gets posted AFTER a candidate is identified and not before), coupled with the fact that 2) Jeff Quinn's announcement to ND seems to be followed directly by our announcement to hear the UConn OC selection by next week, I would pretty much put money on the fact that you were right.

It sucks that the last 4 years for us have turned being a QB coach at ND into a better position than an OC at UConn, but it is what it is. Hopefully, the guy that we get turns into the next great thing. And hopefully, he stays with us for a few years after he's turned into the next great thing... ;)

Reaction Score
The fact that 1) the hiring announcement has been delayed since much later than the job posting (which we all know gets posted AFTER a candidate is identified and not before), coupled with the fact that 2) Jeff Quinn's announcement to ND seems to be followed directly by our announcement to hear the UConn OC selection by next week,

Matt's original tweet on the timeline came before the Quinn announcement to ND:

Matt Schonvisky @MattSchonvisky · Feb 5
Signing day is over, on to the next pressing issue, the search for Offensive Coordinator. Would expect it to be resolved by end of next week

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Matt's original tweet on the timeline came before the Quinn announcement to ND:

Matt Schonvisky @MattSchonvisky · Feb 5
Signing day is over, on to the next pressing issue, the search for Offensive Coordinator. Would expect it to be resolved by end of next week

True, but I'm assuming that since they came within 2 days of each other, that UConn (or Diaco) was notified by Quinn before the announcement. If they are friends, that would have been the right thing to do, and I can't imagine anyone burning bridges by not doing that. I still think that my money would be safe on a bet that Quinn was the original target.

Again, I hope the next guy does a fantastic job and absolutely transforms us. I hope I look back 3 years from now and say, "Ha!...I can't believe I wanted Quinn!!!" :cool:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Matt's tweet could have been written by anyone. Why would anyone expect it to drag out past the end of next week?

The Quinn theory is certainly possible but I wouldn't use those tweets as evidence.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Matt's tweet could have been written by anyone. Why would anyone expect it to drag out past the end of next week?

The Quinn theory is certainly possible but I wouldn't use those tweets as evidence.

I'm not suggesting that Matt is breaking open Watergate. But if he tweets, "hearing UConn OC will be finalized by end of next week", well I'm assuming that he's actually hearing it. Could it be from the voices in his head? Maybe. But I'm willing to assume that he's hearing it from someone that might know something about it.

Again, and I can't stress this enough; you and I both know that a job posting for the football team does not go out unless they believe they've identified their candidate. Most of the qualifications end up tailor-made for the already-selected candidate. The fact that we have not yet heard who it is after so much time has gone by from the original job posting would seem to suggest that our prospective candidate got poached. I'm still betting my money on that...

Reaction Score
Again, and I can't stress this enough; you and I both know that a job posting for the football team does not go out unless they believe they've identified their candidate. Most of the qualifications end up tailor-made for the already-selected candidate. The fact that we have not yet heard who it is after so much time has gone by from the original job posting would seem to suggest that our prospective candidate got poached. I'm still betting my money on that...

Indeed - and your money may be safe depending on the actual bet. All I'm laying out is that it may not have been Quinn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not suggesting that Matt is breaking open Watergate. But if he tweets, "hearing UConn OC will be finalized by end of next week", well I'm assuming that he's actually hearing it. Could it be from the voices in his head? Maybe. But I'm willing to assume that he's hearing it from someone that might know something about it.

Agreed... but I wouldn't assume it was Quinn based on Matt's tweet.

It could be Molnar got hung up in the process based on what happened at UMass.

It could be someone else hung up on a background check.

It could have been someone else who got hired - but tough to see who...

I wouldn't put anything past Kelly - but man if Quinn did him that dirty that's rough.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Belichick came from Wesleyan. Seems to have done pretty well so far...
Yeah - it's not like he is from the Parcell coaching tree, all his success is related to his Trinity degree. How we forget his firing in Cleveland. It's all about personnel.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah - it's not like he is from the Parcell coaching tree, all his success is related to his Trinity degree. How we forget his firing in Cleveland. It's all about personnel.

Please don't being up BB in Cleveland. I'll get banned.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_2015-02-07-18-29-14.png
Per football scoop

Notre Dame: There was a report this morning that former Buffalo head coach Jeff Quinn was joining the Notre Dame staff as quarterbacks coach. We have reason to believe that report is not accurate.

Reaction Score
According to reports, Diaco originally indicated they were going to start spring ball on March 7th, wonder if the delay in finding an OC they will look to push back date so new coach can establish play book and offense with other coaches. Looked at calendar and spring break is week of March 15th and like winter break if season is not in session I do not think they can practice over spring break if they are not in season. If they push it back to the week of the 22nd, they will have two extra weeks to set up the offense for spring ball and then they can do the spring game (hopefully a real spring game) April 25. Five week spring practice to get in 15 practices seems in line with what most schools do.

Reaction Score
According to reports, Diaco originally indicated they were going to start spring ball on March 7th, wonder if the delay in finding an OC they will look to push back date so new coach can establish play book and offense with other coaches. Looked at calendar and spring break is week of March 15th and like winter break if season is not in session I do not think they can practice over spring break if they are not in season. If they push it back to the week of the 22nd, they will have two extra weeks to set up the offense for spring ball and then they can do the spring game (hopefully a real spring game) April 25. Five week spring practice to get in 15 practices seems in line with what most schools do.
Sacrifice two weeks of Spring ball? I don't think they would/should do something like that.

Reaction Score
Does it matter WHEN they practice? Not sure but I think they just have a limited number of days.

Reaction Score
It would not be a sacrifice of any practice, just shifting dates. Teams vary when they start it in March and it usually finishes in mid-late April. It is 15 practices usually over a 5 week period with three practices a week with the last practice being the Spring game. Not all are scheduled but looks like this year lot of schools having it weekends of April 11, 18 and 25th, couple little earlier and Oregon is scheduled for May 2. Really if we start the 7th, we only have one week of practice and then break, so in reality only starting one week later if start when they get back from break. Think better to spend little extra time to revamp the playbook because in in spring teams put it in their offense for the fall.

Reaction Score
... and Oregon is scheduled for May 2.
Think better to spend little extra time to revamp the playbook because in in spring teams put it in their offense for the fall.
Oregon's on trimesters, so they start and end their school year late. However, pushing back this year's UCONN spring practice may make some sense for the reasons cited.

Reaction Score

Did I miss something? He wrote "would expect it to be finalized by end of next week."

Expecting it to be taken care of, and being told by sources it would be are different.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Quinn to ND still up on IrishIllustrated ?.
I could be wrong, I think that report came out prior to the footballscoop update. I don't know if anybody knows what the deal is.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
It would probably be nice if the Freshman QB, who enorlled early, or the transfer QB, could spend some of their free time talking offensively philosophies with the Offensive Coordinator on these cancelled school days; guess they will have to settle on lifting more weights with Balis until UConn has an acceptable offer and an O/C on campus - no hurry here...

Reaction Score
We might still be trying to determine if the candidate shows love and care -

If we're still trying to determine that then don't expect an announcement by Friday... we should know that by now...

Bonehead

Reaction Score
If we're still trying to determine that then don't expect an announcement by Friday... we should know that by now...

I still cant believe it is taking this long - seriously.

Hey - if it take 3 weeks to get the right person so be it but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom