Who will be the next OC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think we have the guy. More of a red tape thing than anything else at this point. Hiring a state employee is never logistically easy.

Unless you know someone ;)

Reaction Score
He's a credible individual who I respect and see no need to feed me a line. Signing day is a significant undertaking and
the OC position is critical so I get it. Timing is everything.

Hey these guys know who's out there. It's tough being a fan sometimes have to remember you can't wave that magic wand.

Reaction Score
I get that hiring Quinn makes a lot of sense... the Diaco/Cincy/Brian Kelley connection, the fact that he was last at Buffalo (WM old stomping grounds), etc... but does it bother anyone else that the guy hasn't run an offense (by itself) in six years??
Not in the least. Guy has 19 years experience as OC.
Correction: Of Quinn's 19 years of coaching experience, he was an OC for 9 years. Of those 9 years, 7 years were as as an assistant to Brian Kelly. Similar to Charley Molnar not calling his own plays as Kelly's assistant, did Quinn ever call his own plays as Kelly's OC?

This is not a suggestion either of them aren't capable of successfully calling their own plays, being instrumental in recruiting higher quality players, and coaching UCONN's offense to greater success. However, it may remain reasonable to question and discuss.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
For those of you who aren't educated enough to vote for our next OC by name only, here are the candidates:

Season-1-PhotoShoots-the-oc-5348355-1905-2500.jpg

Other seems to be missing a tooth but I voted for her.

Reaction Score
An interesting choice. Basically boils down to Jones knowing Debord and giving him pay back for when their roles were reversed 12+ yrs ago at Central Michigan. Speaking of which, Central Michigan turns out to be a common stepping stone for a lot of the coaches we've discussed here lately.

Debord was pretty successful as an OC before: During DeBord's first year as offensive coordinator in 1997, Michigan won their firstnational championship since 1948. As the offensive coordinator at Michigan, DeBord posted a 52–11 record regular season record and a post season record of 4-1.

Reaction Score
Hate to be a debbie downer on DeBord, but this thread stayed interesting up to Da_Aisijimo_Gou last comment when he put a little bio up on Quinn... Thanks for the reply Confident Carl re: our future OC....

Reaction Score
University of Michigan head football coach Jim Harbaugh announced today (Thursday, Feb. 5) the hiring of T.J. Weist as the team's Senior Offensive Analyst

Do we have a "Senior Offensive Analyst" position at UCONN? I did a quick search and found nothing ...

Reaction Score
I'm all for Quinn. An experienced coach, with previous head coaching experience which could aid Diaco as he enters his second year as the head honcho. He coached on some good staffs and comes from the Brian Kelly coaching tree. His offense at Cincy put up some eye popping numbers. He would be my choice.

Reaction Score
Correction: Of Quinn's 19 years of coaching experience, he was an OC for 9 years. Of those 9 years, 7 years were as as an assistant to Brian Kelly. Similar to Charley Molnar not calling his own plays as Kelly's assistant, did Quinn ever call his own plays as Kelly's OC?

This is not a suggestion either of them aren't capable of successfully calling their own plays, being instrumental in recruiting higher quality players, and coaching UCONN's offense to greater success. However, it may remain reasonable to question and discuss.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1984–1986 DePauw (assistant)
1986–1988 Ohio Northern (OL)

1989–2003Grand Valley State (OC/OL)

2004–2006Central Michigan (OC/OL)

2006Central Michigan (interim HC)

2006–2009Cincinnati (OC/OL)

2010–2014
Buffalo

I'm not sure how those years at GVS & CMU broke down as far as OC/OL roles but assuming you're correct 9 years as an OC is a pretty impressive resume. Guy has 30 years experience in college football with HC experience thrown in as well.

Like I said last week, we could do a lot worse.

Reaction Score
I think this explains a lot: Educated guess is we offered him, he accepted in good faith, we posted the job for him, and then all the other pieces started to fall. If you are him you have to take interviews at Tenn or ND or CMU head coach or whatever I think we are hopefully waiting at this point.

CMUSports ‏@CMUSports 11h11 hours ago
Former #UB Head Coach/ #CMU Offensive Coordinator Jeff Quinn was vetted and is reportedly in the mix to land at Notre Dame. #FireUpChips

:confused:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think this explains a lot: Educated guess is we offered him, he accepted in good faith, we posted the job for him, and then all the other pieces started to fall. If you are him you have to take interviews at Tenn or ND or CMU head coach or whatever I think we are hopefully waiting at this point.

CMUSports ‏@CMUSports 11h11 hours ago
Former #UB Head Coach/ #CMU Offensive Coordinator Jeff Quinn was vetted and is reportedly in the mix to land at Notre Dame. #FireUpChips

:confused:

As good of an explanation as any.

Reaction Score
Is Diaco waiting for all the FBS OC positions to be filled before he makes his hire? If Quinn heads to Notre Damn we're screwed :eek: Hopefully he hires the RKG if Quinn isn't.

Reaction Score
Is Diaco waiting for all the FBS OC positions to be filled before he makes his hire? If Quinn heads to Notre Damn we're screwed :eek: Hopefully he hires the RKG if Quinn isn't.

I don't think Diaco is waiting purposely. I think he had he guy then CMU, ND, TN and Michigan all dropped at the same time so his guy didn't accept before he was interviewed everywhere.

Reaction Score
I don't think Diaco is waiting purposely. I think he had he guy then CMU, ND, TN and Michigan all dropped at the same time so his guy didn't accept before he was interviewed everywhere.
This.
If our #1 guy is any good, he'd at least sniff at these openings and Diaco has no choice but to be patient and see what fruit falls from the tree. No matter how good of a salesman HCBD is, he can't sell us over the same opening at ND, TN, and Michigan.

Reaction Score
I am surprised at the amount of people that actually think that Quinn ran the offense while he was a part of Kelly's staff. I wonder if these are the same people that complained that Cummings did not really run the CMU offense while he was OC there.

Reaction Score

I agree. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't have announced someone by now. The guy we had must have gone elsewhere or he is currently interviewing with others.

Reaction Score
I am surprised at the amount of people that actually think that Quinn ran the offense while he was a part of Kelly's staff. I wonder if these are the same people that complained that Cummings did not really run the CMU offense while he was OC there.

What's your point? That he shouldn't get the job because he didn't call his own plays? He was the offensive coordinator under Kelly, you don't think he picked anything up from him? Was Cummings ever a head coach?

cttxus

Reaction Score
Give me the short list, if you dont mind, of the young and hungry ones that you like better than the names on the list that can recruit and coach like heck - and then we will compare to a Jeff Quinn who had a top 40 offense in D1 3 years in a row at Cinci.

http://footballscoop.com/archive-news/2013-fcs-coordinator-of-the-year-finalists/

http://footballscoop.com/news/2014-fcs-coordinator-year-finalists/

If Bob dumped his best friend to OL, and one of his mentors, for a Non D1 coach/O/C, I don't believe I will be the only one shocked.

Thanks Bonehead. I think we could be at a point where BD's original OC choices may be gone. Maybe Molnar is still an option (assuming he ever was one) and maybe Quinn doesn't get the job at ND. But it's probably worth getting familiar with some other top OC's including the following who were the top OCs in the FCS in 2014 and 2013. I still need to check out the bios on these guys to see if any of them has had any relationship to BD or BK.

2014 Top OCs
Joe Conlin, Yale
Conlin was promoted to offensive coordinator in April, and the Yale’s offense took off from there. After finishing solidly in the middle of the pack, ranked 35th to 72nd in every major category, in 2013, the 8-2 Elis rank among the top seven in almost every major metric. They’re first in total offense, fifth in passing, seventh in rushing, seventh in passing efficiency, fourth in scoring and second in third downs. And they pulled out the Ivy League’s first win over an FBS program since 1986 with a 49-43 overtime win over Army, a game in which they racked up 335 rushing yards, 290 passing yards and 36 first downs.

Key Stats
  • 1st in total offense (571.5 yds per game)
  • 2nd in third down conversions (51.7 percent)
  • 4th in scoring offense (41.1 points per game)
  • 5th in passing offense (323.6 yards per game)
  • 7th in rushing offense (247.9 yards per game)
Don Bailey, Idaho State
One year ago, Idaho State finished 3-9 (the Bengals won nine games total from 2008-13) and ranked 82nd nationally in scoring offense, putting up 13 points or less five times. This year, 2014, the Bengals went 8-4 and scored at least 30 points in their last 10 games. Idaho State ranks sixth in scoring offense, first in passing offense and second in total offense. Quarterback Justin Arias leads FCS in passing and touchdowns, and stands one of only two Division I quarterbacks to surpass the 4,000-yard barrier and throw at least 38 touchdowns.

Key Stats
  • QB Justin Arias leads FCS in passing yards (4,076) and touchdowns (38)
  • 2nd in total offense (562 yards per game)
  • 6th in scoring offense (40.3 points per game)
  • 5-win improvement from 2013
Aaron Best and Zak Hill, Eastern Washington
The high-flying Eagles turned in another spectacular season, leading FCS by averaging 44.6 points per game, ranking second in passing efficiency, and third in both passing offense and total offense. Eastern Washington also has the nation’s second-best red zone offense, converting 96 percent of their chances into points. Their best performance, incidentally, came in a loss, as Vernon Adams threw for 475 yards and seven touchdowns in a 59-52 setback at Washington. Most impressively, EWU lost Adams to a broken foot midway through the season, and backup Jordan West picked up right where he left off, throwing for nine touchdowns and one interception.

Key Stats
  • 1st in scoring offense
  • 2nd in red zone offense
  • 2nd in passing efficiency
  • 8th in third down offense
2013 Top OCs
Aaron Best (also a Top OC in 2014)

Two things you know you’re getting in an Eastern Washington football game: red turf and one of the most fearsome aerial assaults in college football. Behind talented quarterback Vernon Adams, the Eagles threw for the fourth-most yards in FCS (349.8 yards per game) and still boasted the most efficient passing attack in the nation, completing nearly 66 percent of passes for 58 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Eastern Washington’s 182.55 team passer rating was more than 13 points ahead of No. 2 San Diego. Eastern Washington’s 369 first downs were the second-most in FCS, and they also earned top 10 rankings in total offense (533.5 yards per game), scoring offense (39.5 points per game) and third down conversions (48.1 percent).

Key Stats:
4th in total offense (533.5 yards per game)

1st in passing efficiency (182.55)

2nd in first downs (369)

7th in scoring offense (39.5 points per game)

Sterlin Gilbert
Three signs you had an excellent season as an offensive coordinator: your team leads the nation in total offense, your team leads the nation in scoring offense and your quarterback takes home national player of the year honors. Sterlin Glibert accomplished all three.

Eastern Illinois went 12-2 this season, and led FCS in total offense (589.5 yards per game) and scoring offense (48.2 points per game). And, finally, Gilbert helped quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo take home the 2013 Walter Payton Award, FCS’s equivalent of the Heisman Trophy. Garoppolo led FCS with 5,050 passing yards (a 168.33 rating) with 53 passing touchdowns (plus four rushing) against only nine interceptions.

Key Stats:
1st in total offense (589.5 yards per game)

1st in scoring offense (48.2 points per game)

2nd in passing offense (372.4 yards per game)

4th in pass efficiency (163.55)

cttxus

Reaction Score
EDIT: Sterlin Gilbert was hired by Bowling Green as OC in 2014. So, unless he wants to move again he may also be off the list of candidates.

Reaction Score
Here are a couple of you tubes One is Charlie Molnar, Notre Dame Offensive Coordinator and the other is Bob Diaco ND Defensive Coordinator. Also the press release when both were hired by Brian Kelly. If Quinn is not there is a pretty good chance it will be Molnar. He runs a fast uptempo offense which is what most people want to see.

http://articles.wsbt.com/2010-01-07/bob-diaco_24801265

Bob Diaco 2011

Charlie Molnar 2010

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics