Who will be the next OC? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who will be the next OC?

Who will be the next OC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we can't find an experienced & effective playcaller at the FBS level (which I don't think any OC from the Kelly tree is right now), we should certainly look at the FCS. I like the names we've been hearing so far like Conlin and Canty (UNH), etc.

I threw out the name Dave Patenaude in a prior OC thread. Does any Yarder know about him - he's from the Norwich area and he graduated from CCSU. He has been the OC for Coastal Carolina for the past three years. Total offense in 2012, 2013 and 2014: #18, #11, #18. Maybe he wants to come home, get some FBS experience and more $.

Reaction Score
If we can't find an experienced & effective playcaller at the FBS level (which I don't think any OC from the Kelly tree is right now), we should certainly look at the FCS. I like the names we've been hearing so far like Conlin and Canty (UNH), etc.

I threw out the name Dave Patenaude in a prior OC thread. Does any Yarder know about him - he's from the Norwich area and he graduated from CCSU. He has been the OC for Coastal Carolina for the past three years. Total offense in 2012, 2013 and 2014: #18, #11, #18. Maybe he wants to come home, get some FBS experience and more $.
I played with Dave in high school....he is a great guy. he got a raw deal when he came home the last time to be OC at Hofstra.

Reaction Score
I played with Dave in high school....he is a great guy. he got a raw deal when he came home the last time to be OC at Hofstra.

He's doing a heck of a job at CC. You never know. There are some pretty good coaches that have come out of CT Universities and particularly CCSU.

Steve Addazio - Central CT - Boston College
Dave Campo - Central CT - Dallas Cowboys
Kevin Gilbride - Southern CT - NY Giants
Tony Sparano - University of New Haven - NFL, Raiders, Jets, Dolphins
Mike Sherman - Central CT - Green Bay
Chris Palmer - Southern CT - Browns, various NFL
Nick Nicalau - Southern CT - NFL
Andy Talley - Southern CT - Villanova head coac
Al Bagnoli - Central CT - Penn - Championship head coach
John Skladani- Central CT - Central CT, Houston DC and USF

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Here are a couple of you tubes One is Charlie Molnar, Notre Dame Offensive Coordinator and the other is Bob Diaco ND Defensive Coordinator. Also the press release when both were hired by Brian Kelly. If Quinn is not there is a pretty good chance it will be Molnar. He runs a fast uptempo offense which is what most people want to see.

http://articles.wsbt.com/2010-01-07/bob-diaco_24801265

Bob Diaco 2011

Charlie Molnar 2010

Watching that interview with Molnar makes me think he and BD have a lot in common. Look at his Twitter profile:
"Faithful Servant, Family Man, Football Coach, CrossFitter, Runner, Reader, and Resilient". Sounds like a BD RKG to me too. Sure, he had issues at UMass, but sometimes the Peter Principle kicks you in the face when you reach for the stars. In other words, maybe being HC wasn't what Charley was destined to do. Maybe being an OC is where his passion and skills truly are, and where his greatest contribution can be. I'm not saying he should be BD's #1 candidate, but I've worked with guys like this and found you can do great things with them if they're humble, passionate about the cause, and you place them in the right position to succeed.

Reaction Score
Watching that interview with Molnar makes me think he and BD have a lot in common. Look at his Twitter profile:
"Faithful Servant, Family Man, Football Coach, CrossFitter, Runner, Reader, and Resilient". Sounds like a BD RKG to me too. Sure, he had issues at UMass, but sometimes the Peter Principle kicks you in the face when you reach for the stars. In other words, maybe being HC wasn't what Charley was destined to do. Maybe being an OC is where his passion and skills truly are, and where his greatest contribution can be. I'm not saying he should be BD's #1 candidate, but I've worked with guys like this and found you can do great things with them if they're humble, passionate about the cause, and you place them in the right position to succeed.

There aren't too many opportunities to get an FBS coaching job. When your time comes and you get to run your own program, it's hard to say no. Quinn was OC at Cincinnati and Buffalo called. He got the Ax from Buffalo because he didn't win enough. He seems like a fine candidate but rumor has it, he may go to Notre Dame. Molnar was OC at Notre Dame and left to coach UMASS which was probably a big mistake. UMASS was fresh out of FCS and building that program was a monumental task. He only won two games and caught some heat when his players engaged in wrestling and boxing for winter workouts. There were no NCAA violations. He got fired and UMASS had to pay him 850,000 contractually. Considering his history with Diaco it seems like Molnar would be a natural to work with him and staff. He could hit the ground running. Like you say, it appears that he has a number of things in common with Diaco. He has had great success in grooming young QB's and receivers. I agree, he seems like an RKG to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's a credible individual who I respect and see no need to feed me a line. Signing day is a significant undertaking and
the OC position is critical so I get it. Timing is everything.
Ahh yes timing, could not agree more. It is a shame we did not have someone in place sooner to possibly keep the two OL we lost after verbals. That and maybe another QB in the hopper.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not sure who I want as OC, but my goodness, I really hope it doesn't end up being Molnar. I still can't get this ridiculous video out of my head:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure who I want as OC, but my goodness, I really hope it doesn't end up being Molnar. I still can't get this ridiculous video out of my head:

Dan you have to ignore 2-22, the video, the UMass football alumni calling for his removal 1.5 season into his tenure.

He does crossfit and reads when not being a faithful servant. That's all I need to know.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Molnar would have been great at UConn this year. He could have named a key starter at QB by having Whitmer and Cochran punch each other in the head until someone suffered a career ending concussion.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Molnar would have been great at UConn this year. He could have named a key starter at QB by having Whitmer and Cochran punch each other in the head. First one with a career ending concussion is out.

I've gotta admit; I shouldn't have laughed at that...but I did...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've gotta admit; I shouldn't have laughed at that...but I did...

If the video wasn't so pathetic it would be way funnier.

The question that comes to mind after watching it is...

How did they ever win 2 games?

Reaction Score
... possibly not a real big selling point for some administrators, parents, players, et al.

Reaction Score
Has UConn re-posted the job? If that happens you know Bob struck out.
Unless Diaco, Manuel, and UCONN HR reviewers were not sufficiently satisfied with the initial list of applicants, why would the position be re-posted? Even if an initial favored candidate pursued a different opportunity, wouldn't the next preferred candidate(s) move to the top of the list?

Reaction Score
UMASS was an FCS program with FCS players training during the offseason to prepare to play in the MAC. Weight lifting in the winter gets old and Molnar was probably just trying to mix things up. I'm sure this wasn't done every day. It looks to me like they were building in toughness and team chemistry. Having played college football those exercises looked like fun and the UMASS players looked like they were having a blast! We used to have fights all the time. Bear Bryant used to raise Hell to get players ready for the season.

I personally don't think this is a big deal but the way the media operates they can frame this any way they want to. If it was a mistake from a PR stand point, consider it a mistake of a rookie head coach. It shouldn't negate 30 yrs of ones career.

http://dailycollegian.com/2013/10/0...esses-report-on-controversial-training-video/

Did you notice the tug of war in the video? Funny NC State is shown doing one below. I guess the softies in the UMASS administration thought it was too violent. After all football isn't a violent game. Maybe if UCF did the UMASS winter drill they wouldn't have lost to UCONN at the Rent last year.

image.jpg

N.C. State football players, including Quintin Payton, center, pull during a tug-of-war during the first annual "Wolfpack Olympics" Thursday morning, February 28, 2013, at the N.C. State football practice fields.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/28/2715671/wolfpack-football-drill-turns.html

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes Carl, if only UCF had done that drill they could have been as tough as a team that went 2-22.

Punching each other in the head keeps you from throwing interceptions. Solid deduction you've made there.

Bear Bryant didn't let his players drink water - sounds like a great idea that will teach these p*ssies.

You should root for Molnar to get hired. If he gets hired I am going to half to take a long break from posting.

Since you aren't allowed to say anything remotely negative without a lecture from an absolute dumba** - the hiring of Molnar would be another red flag that this program is going nowhere and I'm not going to be able to hold my tongue about the absolute nonsense that you and BNich post.

Nor do I feel like continuing to be told by passive aggressive ninnies like Art, Metsf23, Stairmaster and Pudge; who combined haven't made an interesting point in 3 years, that somehow the greatness of the Boneyard is being impuned by others while they ironically do the exact thing they accuse others of.

Reaction Score
UMASS was an FCS program with FCS players training during the offseason to prepare to play in the MAC. Weight lifting in the winter gets old and Molnar was probably just trying to mix things up. I'm sure this wasn't done every day. It looks to me like they were building in toughness and team chemistry. Having played college football those exercises looked like fun and the UMASS players looked like they were having a blast! We used to have fights all the time. Bear Bryant used to raise Hell to get players ready for the season.

I personally don't think this is a big deal but the way the media operates they can frame this any way they want to. If it was a mistake from a PR stand point, consider it a mistake of a rookie head coach. It shouldn't negate 30 yrs of ones career.

http://dailycollegian.com/2013/10/0...esses-report-on-controversial-training-video/

Did you notice the tug of war in the video? Funny NC State is shown doing one below. I guess the softies in the UMASS administration thought it was too violent. After all football isn't a violent game. Maybe if UCF did the UMASS winter drill they wouldn't have lost to UCONN at the Rent last year.

View attachment 8418
N.C. State football players, including Quintin Payton, center, pull during a tug-of-war during the first annual "Wolfpack Olympics" Thursday morning, February 28, 2013, at the N.C. State football practice fields.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/28/2715671/wolfpack-football-drill-turns.html

Am I allowed to discuss the stupidity of this post or is that frowned upon here now?

Reaction Score
Am I allowed to discuss the stupidity of this post or is that frowned upon here now?

You and Whaler are smarter than Brian Kelly who hired him as Offensive Coordinator for Notre Dame. Obviously in today's transparent world a video like this is incriminating. The video aside for a minute. Why else would Molnar be a bad hire? Please supply your rational. He has multiple (I think 9 years OC experience so play calling alone is not the issue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You and Whaler are smarter than Brian Kelly who hired him as Offensive Coordinator for Notre Dame. Obviously in today's transparent world a video like this is incriminating. The video aside for a minute. Why else would Molnar be a bad hire? Please supply your rational. He has multiple (I think 9 years OC experience so play calling alone is not the issue.

Brian Kelly of course being the guy who sent a kid to his death so practice would be on tape.

Oh he has a lot of experience? Sounds like a certain group of guys that were here a few years back.

Reaction Score

Ah the Brian Kelly who we are not smarter than once employed him argument. If that standard was applied to all posts there would be no BY.

But if you want my reasons:

2-22

A video so pathetic and embarrassing that he had to be removed from his position for cause.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Carl - Diaco has made it clear that he is going all in on character and leadership.

Bringing in Molnar would be the exact opposite of that.

So it would be yet another huge disconnect between what he says and what he does. I know those don't matter to you, that can just be spun into a video where NC State does a tug of war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom