Who will be the next OC? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Who will be the next OC?

Who will be the next OC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Brian Kelly of course being the guy who sent a kid to his death so practice would be on tape.

Oh he has a lot of experience? Sounds like a certain group of guys that were here a few years back.

Do people forget how inept that UMass offense was that they brought to Rentschler?

I wish the UMass guys who post here could shine the light on how terrible they were under Molnar. Whipple of all people comes in and makes them competitive with an air raid offense in year one.

But hey Kelly hired him at ND so he must be good.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have no clue who our next OC will be but I am stunned by the idea that a current FCS OC couldn't come in and contribute. We are nowhere near where Oregon was a decade ago (as a football program) yet they brought in an OC from and FCS school (Chip Kelly, UNH) to run their offense and his success there led to an early retirement of the guy who then was the most successful football coach they ever had (Bellotti).

This does not mean that any FCS OC can step in and do a great job here but there is no reason to believe that we cannot find a young, bright, innovative OC from the FCS ranks.

Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:
I have no clue who our next OC will be but I am stunned by the idea that a current FCS OC couldn't come in and contribute. We are nowhere near where Oregon was a decade ago (as a football program) yet they brought in an OC from and FCS school (Chip Kelly, UNH) to run their offense and his success there led to an early retirement of the guy who then was the most successful football coach they ever had (Bellotti).

This does not mean that any FCS OC can step in and do a great job here but there is no reason to believe that we cannot find a young, bright, innovative OC from the FCS ranks.

Strongly agree. We need to think outside the box. I think grabbing an up and coming fcs coordinator is a lot better than some of the names being thrown about here.

Reaction Score
Carl - Diaco has made it clear that he is going all in on character and leadership.

Bringing in Molnar would be the exact opposite of that.

So it would be yet another huge disconnect between what he says and what he does. I know those don't matter to you, that can just be spun into a video where NC State does a tug of war.

I have no opinion about the new OC. I just don't know enough about it. Do you have any recommendations? I'm looking for something positive here.

Reaction Score
I hope to god its not Molnar. Yet another one of these "It's a process" guys. Guy who replaced him at UMass threw the ball over the gosh darn place.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have no opinion about the new OC. I just don't know enough about it. Do you have any recommendations? I'm looking for something positive here.

Some names I would check in on:
Dave Pautnaude
Tim Cramsey
Ryan Carty
Kurt Beathard
Sam Venuto if he isn't at Villanova for life.

Like FCF said FCS is full of innovative guys - can't be that hard to find one.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

Besides his obvious coaching successes over the past 12 years, Joe Conlin meets all the minimum qualifications listed on the UConn OC job posting, and he meets all the preferred qualifications except for the Masters degree. Married 4 yrs ago with a young child, so he and his wife have just started raising a family. If offered by UConn I think he'd be hard pressed to turn down what would likely be a nice bump in pay. He also lives in Southington which wouldn't be a terrible commute to Storrs, at least in the short term.

Reaction Score
Unless Diaco, Manuel, and UCONN HR reviewers were not sufficiently satisfied with the initial list of applicants, why would the position be re-posted? Even if an initial favored candidate pursued a different opportunity, wouldn't the next preferred candidate(s) move to the top of the list?

Because the other candidates weren't the RKG and having the RKG is more important than anything, so sayeth Bob.

Reaction Score
Some names I would check in on:
Dave Pautnaude
Tim Cramsey
Ryan Carty
Kurt Beathard
Sam Venuto if he isn't at Villanova for life.

Like FCF said FCS is full of innovative guys - can't be that hard to find one.

Wow these guys are rolling stones. Been all over. I liked Sam Venuto's resume best but he looks like he's "fixed" at Villanova. Patenaude's got great experience as well and has worked at a lot of academic schools. Might be a great match for BD.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately in today's Information Age, one misguided video can sink ones career and the wrestling video could very well do that to Molnar. His record at UMASS doesn't bother me. His first year they were projected to finish last in the MAC. Just a tough place to coach. Whipple is doing as good a job as anyone could there. I was disappointed that UCONN didn't hire him. UMASS did really well last year almost beating Vandy and UCLA! There offense scored a lot of points. I think Whipple won three games but was close in a number of them. Now I am sure Whipple had a lot to do with it but Molnar laid the foundation.

The reason I am not down on Molnar is that is he would bring the same coaching pedigree to UCONN. He also has developed many young QB's and receivers. I also think he would open up the offense. A lot of you guys don't like Diaco so it makes sense that you don't like Charlie Molnar. At the end of the day, I just want the best guy for the job. I maintain we can do a lot worse than Molnar.

Reaction Score

Whale judging from your posts Molnar has more character in his little pinky than you have in your whole body!

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like Quinn is going to CMU (unless he's going as OC)...

Hondo Carpenter @HondoCarpenter · 33m33 minutes ago
Breaking news: CMU & Lions sources expect CMU to name John Bonamego Lions Special Team Coach Monday Head Coach

Lions Special Teams Coordinator John Bonamego Will Be New Coach Of Central Michigan

ND QB Coach job is still open though

Quinn appears out... I would now expect HCBD to move on and get it done soon.

FootballScoop11:44am via TweetDeck
ND QBs RT @timprister: Sources tell Irish Illustrated that long-time Brian Kelly OC/OL coach Jeff Quinn to join #NDFB staff as QB coach

Kelly needs to circle the wagons as he has had two key guys poached by Texas and tOSU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whale judging from your posts Molnar has more character in his little pinky than you have in your whole body!

Candidly, reading your clueless diatribes has become boring.

Diaco deserves a better defense than the likes of you can provide.

Charlie Molnar. Laid the foundation. LOL.

Reaction Score
huskymedic said:
Quinn appears out... I would now expect HCBD to move on and get it done soon. FootballScoop11:44am via TweetDeck ND QBs RT @timprister: Sources tell Irish Illustrated that long-time Brian Kelly OC/OL coach Jeff Quinn to join #NDFB staff as QB coach Kelly needs to circle the wagons as he has had two key guys poached by Texas and tOSU.

Ouch...... Will never know for sure, but certainly looks like Quinn may have agreed to be OC and then turned it down for a positions job at ND when it opened up. I know are in our darkest hours, but is OC at UConn really worse than a positions job at ND at a position that is not even your specialty?

Based on what's left out there, I say give the Yale guy a shot. Seems like an easy fit and I'd imagine he'd jump at the opportunity.

Reaction Score
If we were told our OC was coming from UNH there would be a lot of naysayers shaking their collective heads. That's what my friends in Oregon were doing when Chip Kelly was announced. The guy from Yale may just be the best of the bunch.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
If we were told our OC was coming from UNH there would be a lot of naysayers shaking their collective heads. That's what my friends in Oregon were doing when Chip Kelly was announced. The guy from Yale may just be the best of the bunch.

I never understood that line of thinking. I would be excited if we get an innovative coordinator. I don't care if he comes from Wesleyan. I just want a guy who can call a coherent game.

Reaction Score
Re-posting what I listed in the other thread a couple weeks back....

There are so many viable options out there, but here's links to bios of the three names as a follow up to an earlier post I made.
Joe Conlin Yale OC profile - came up under Chip Kelly at UNH, in a year has turned Yale's offense into a top 10 FCS unit, has NE ties
Brian Scott ODU OC profile - all they do is score TD's and crank out yards, has NE ties (Maine grad)
Ryan Carty UNH OC profile - NE ties, track record of coordinating productive offenses, recruits N. NJ and parts of MA.
Also, Jagodzinski is now the Offensive Coordinator at Georgia State, transitioning them from start up to FBS. That guy could coordinate an offense.

I know many want the s e xy hire, a name guy form a name FBS/BCS/P5 program, etc, etc.... Me, I'll take a proven record of leading offenses that can move the ball and score points. What's more impressive is more often than not the three teams above are doing it with talent deficits compared to their opponants (from a speed/skill/rating pov), and still cranking yards and points.

Reaction Score
SAMCRO said:
Re-posting what I listed in the other thread a couple weeks back....

There are so many viable options out there, but here's links to bios of the three names as a follow up to an earlier post I made.
Joe Conlin Yale OC profile - came up under Chip Kelly at UNH, in a year has turned Yale's offense into a top 10 FCS unit, has NE ties
Brian Scott ODU OC profile - all they do is score TD's and crank out yards, has NE ties (Maine grad)
Ryan Carty UNH OC profile - NE ties, track record of coordinating productive offenses, recruits N. NJ and parts of MA.
Also, Jagodzinski is now the Offensive Coordinator at Georgia State, transitioning them from start up to FBS. That guy could coordinate an offense.

I know many want the s e xy hire, a name guy form a name FBS/BCS/P5 program, etc, etc.... Me, I'll take a proven record of leading offenses that can move the ball and score points. What's more impressive is more often than not the three teams above are doing it with talent deficits compared to their opponants (from a speed/skill/rating pov), and still cranking yards and points.

I would take any 3 of those guys in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Ouch. Will never know for sure, but certainly looks like Quinn may have agreed to be OC and then turned it down for a positions job at ND when it opened up..

I dunno HH - I've seen no evidence to support that Quinn was offered and accepted UConn job and then turned it down or for that matter that he was anything more than a speculative target at this point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopefully HCBD is willing to go outside the box with one of these guys even if it means hiring someone he hasn't worked with previously. This hire may be the difference between success and failure. Feel bad about Quinn but I can understand why he didn't want to have to struggle with a rebuilding team.

Reaction Score
I dunno HH - I've seen no evidence to support that Quinn was offered and accepted UConn job and then turned it down or for that matter that he was anything more than a speculative target at this point.

Agreed, def no evidence, but the Warde/Diaco connection combined with the delay lead me to that conclusion. Def could be wrong, actually I hope I am wrong, I hope Bob gets his first choice.

In related news:

Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky 48m48 minutes ago
Hearing UConn OC should be finalized by end of next week. #BleedBlue

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Digging a little deeper, Joe Conlin played HS ball in PA and started 3 years at Pitt. He also spent 7 years coaching at UNH before the last 3 at Yale. At Yale he's been an assistant head coach for 2 yrs and OC for 1 on top of his duties as OL and RBs coach. With that kind of background you have to believe he can recruit most of HCBD's "footprint" for talent on O. And while it doesn't matter from a football perspective, Joe's wife and family are from southern New Hampshire. It may seem irrelevant but, assuming she's tight with her family, and as most of us married guys know, a happy wife usually = a happy life. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's Brian Kelly and Chip Kelly. It looks like the connection to Chip and UNH is pretty powerful. I hope that BD would be open to some new blood and benefit from learning a different approach. I'm looking for a UNH guy. The synergy may be powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom