Who will be the next OC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be the next OC?

Who will be the next OC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Under Tom Jackson, (1-aa), Matt DeGennarro as QB was quite an accomplished passer and led a high scoring balanced offense for four years.

The same could be said for Skip Holtz (1-aa), and Shane Stafford (QB) who led the program to first post season play ever.

Both of those coaches were able to recruit talented QB's who could perform admirably at that skill level of play.

Cornelius Benton was the better QB, but Matt kept raising his game and never gave a reason to change the depth chart. Corny started a few games as underclassmen when Matt went out with an injury against North Carolina, but as soon as he could DeGennaro was back in. Benton got one year as a starter after DeGennaro graduated and ended up as a late round draft pick of the Steelers. Didn't last in the NFL - but he was there. The QB that came after, and before Stafford is a pretty high level administrator at a high school in Bergen County. I wonder if Diaco knows that....anyway. Stafford never really got any looks from anyone for the NFL, and that's a shame because I think he could have made it. He had a pretty good arena football career with another All American from UCONN - Carl Bond - out of New Haven.

The transition years from 1998-2000 were rough under Edsall, but he recruited Orlovsky and we had very good QB play from 2001-2005, Edsall brought in some decent QB prospects, but didn't bring in the complete package at QB after Orlovsky 2006-2010, and still counting looking for that high level production at that position.

We're starting a FNG at QB again this season. 10 years since Orlovsky left. Frazer was the closest to the complete package since.

It's unfortunate that Casey's career ended early, he had the tools to compete.

Reaction Score
I don't know who it will be, Quinn sounds good. I just hope that Diaco hires and OC that was good enough to actually be entrusted with calling plays in his previous job (that is unless he wasn't an OC).

Not defending P, but at least he had the sense to hire Weist, who was a rising star, albeit he was under pressure from Warde to make a change. Diaco hired a guy who was pretty marginal and non descript. And the results were reflective of that choice.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
OK, so 33% of the poll respondents (17 people) think the new OC will be someone other than Molnar, Quinn or Weist. Would any of you care to through out any other names?

Reaction Score
I voted without realizing that LaFleur was off the board. Would now vote for Quinn.

Reaction Score
Cornelius Benton was the better QB, but Matt kept raising his game and never gave a reason to change the depth chart. Corny started a few games as underclassmen when Matt went out with an injury against North Carolina, but as soon as he could DeGennaro was back in. Benton got one year as a starter after DeGennaro graduated and ended up as a late round draft pick of the Steelers. Didn't last in the NFL - but he was there. The QB that came after, and before Stafford is a pretty high level administrator at a high school in Bergen County. I wonder if Diaco knows that....anyway. Stafford never really got any looks from anyone for the NFL, and that's a shame because I think he could have made it. He had a pretty good arena football career with another All American from UCONN - Carl Bond - out of New Haven.

The transition years from 1998-2000 were rough under Edsall, but he recruited Orlovsky and we had very good QB play from 2001-2005, Edsall brought in some decent QB prospects, but didn't bring in the complete package at QB after Orlovsky 2006-2010, and still counting looking for that high level production at that position.

We're starting a FNG at QB again this season. 10 years since Orlovsky left. Frazer was the closest to the complete package since.

Corny was better in terms of athleticism... but not as consistent as Matt... although I did enjoy those long bomb pass plays he'd hit Alex "Neon Deon Showtime" Davis with back in the day... he's the first dude I ever saw where a haircut like the R&B group Troop... the hip hop geri curl mullet.. with parts on the side

Reaction Score

This... man oh man... if he were able to still play.. I think we'd be giving teams in our league all kinds a heck this upcoming season... Kid was sure of himself out there... that to me stood out the most in his game.. a true Alpha dog at the position...which you need...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
FCS guy comin'
(just speculating)

Reaction Score
Need for UNLIKE BUTTON - However, you are probably correct!!
You do realize that some of the best and most exciting young OC's are going to come out of FCS? Look at the resumes of some of the most successful offensive coaches and programs. Nothing wrong with an FCS guy that is young and hungry and that can recruit and coach like heck. I like them better than any choice offered in the initial poll.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You do realize that some of the best and most exciting young OC's are going to come out of FCS? Look at the resumes of some of the most successful offensive coaches and programs. Nothing wrong with an FCS guy that is young and hungry and that can recruit and coach like heck. I like them better than any choice offered in the initial poll.

You do realize that some of the best and most exciting young Head Coaches are going to come out of the FCS and MAC as already being a head coach? Look at the resumes of some them (MAC coaches of the year) v.s. the Broyles Award winning assistant coaches and you will be astounded at who ended up being better as the head man.

Give me the short list, if you dont mind, of the young and hungry ones that you like better than the names on the list that can recruit and coach like heck - and then we will compare to a Jeff Quinn who had a top 40 offense in D1 3 years in a row at Cinci.

http://footballscoop.com/archive-news/2013-fcs-coordinator-of-the-year-finalists/

http://footballscoop.com/news/2014-fcs-coordinator-year-finalists/

If Bob dumped his best friend to OL, and one of his mentors, for a Non D1 coach/O/C, I don't belive I will be the only one shocked.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
EDIT: "Throw" out, not "through" out other names. Man, where did that come from? Don't want to tarnish my UConn education with that one.
Please offer up some names. Those of us with inquiring minds but limited knowledge in this area want to know so we can check them out and continue speculating. I'll refresh the poll options with any really viable names, if I'm allowed to to that. For instance, do any of said FCS coaches have past relationships with BD or the BK coaching tree?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
What's up fellas

Never really venture to fb board (die hard UConn bball fan, but actually played fb at USAFA, so that's who I root for, but UConn is #2 for sure)

Granted I don't have as much inside info on the team, as I bet the majority of you guys, but we got to be honest with our recruiting and our expectations. The best/fastest way, imo, to become respectable/great team we need to become a "gimmicky" offense. Uconn (at the time) can't recruit well enough, to keep up with the jones', especially running a "run of the mill" offense.
A run heavy read option (ala the AFA) or a pass heavy Air Raid (ala Mike Leach's Wash St) would do the trick on our way back to relevancy. Personally, at Air Force, we were able to keep up & beat teams that out-recruited us yearly. (Won two bowls, one against #1 pick David Carr) Georgia tech has been doing a-ok with the same mindset in ACC.... Also if you wanted to go the other way, Mike Leach is slowly taking a horrible WSU program back to respectability......but to run an offense like everyone else, UConn will never get ahead of the pack and become attractive to the P5's. Will this happen, probably not, but I think it would definitely work in a talent-poor northeast.

Ps- not worried bout the D, more times than not, UConn is usually solid.

Reaction Score

Tulsa hired Bowling Green's C0-Offensive coordinators in Dec.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...-gilbert-matt-maddox-away-from-bowling-green/

Reaction Score
What's up fellas

Never really venture to fb board (die hard UConn bball fan, but actually played fb at USAFA, so that's who I root for, but UConn is #2 for sure)

Granted I don't have as much inside info on the team, as I bet the majority of you guys, but we got to be honest with our recruiting and our expectations. The best/fastest way, imo, to become respectable/great team we need to become a "gimmicky" offense. Uconn (at the time) can't recruit well enough, to keep up with the jones', especially running a "run of the mill" offense.
A run heavy read option (ala the AFA) or a pass heavy Air Raid (ala Mike Leach's Wash St) would do the trick on our way back to relevancy. Personally, at Air Force, we were able to keep up & beat teams that out-recruited us yearly. (Won two bowls, one against #1 pick David Carr) Georgia tech has been doing a-ok with the same mindset in ACC.... Also if you wanted to go the other way, Mike Leach is slowly taking a horrible WSU program back to respectability.but to run an offense like everyone else, UConn will never get ahead of the pack and become attractive to the P5's. Will this happen, probably not, but I think it would definitely work in a talent-poor northeast.

Ps- not worried bout the D, more times than not, UConn is usually solid.
Don't care what the style is. Just want to move the ball. If it is like G tech, Great! Sheriffs shotgun spread? Mike leach's maybe a liitle too extreme IMO

Reaction Score
Quite frankly I don't see any of these guys mentioned as the guy... It's taking too long... Quinn's not even working right now... Molnar might be recruiting some kids somewhere from that college near Siberia that he's at now... Weist isn't working and doesn't seem to be a fit because he's part of the PP regime....

Honestly thought we'd hear something on NSD on this... didn't get anything... which, quite frankly, tells me we haven't found our guy yet... now we gotta month til Spring practice.. No OC and a month til practice starts... there's this thing called an offensive playbook that an OC usually puts together, no? and these kids need to work on their own as well to learn such plays as part of their development... So they can get ready for not only the Spring, but, ultimately be ready to try their darndest to look like they know what to do on the field once fall practice starts.. time is of the essence...

Hopefully we get some news within the next week the latest....

I was talking to one of the coaches last night and although the process of hiring a new OC is in place, obviously they have been focusing on signing day. Now that signing day has past, they can focus on finalizing the OC. We should get the news soon.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I haven't been following this board in a couple months so forgive this comment, but I'm shocked we still don't have an OC.

Reaction Score
I was talking to one of the coaches last night and although the process of hiring a new OC is in place, obviously they have been focusing on signing day. Now that signing day has past, they can focus on finalizing the OC. We should get the news soon.

Process? Really? I hope he was feeding you a line of ....

Reaction Score
Process? Really? I hope he was feeding you a line of ....

He's a credible individual who I respect and see no need to feed me a line. Signing day is a significant undertaking and
the OC position is critical so I get it. Timing is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom