Who succeeds Pat? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who succeeds Pat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But there are few examples for women's basketball period. How many examples are there of WCBB teams being uber successful and then falling off? Few, since so many of the pioneering coaches are still active.

- Purdue strikes me as a program that has managed to be successful through a series of coaches. F4 under Dunn in 94. NC in 99 under Peck.

- Duke is still strong under McCallie (though, yes, down a peg).

- Rutgers followed up Grentz (1982 NC) with Stringer (multiple F4s).

- LSU was as successful under Chatman than Gunter.
how many NC's do those schools have? collectively they have 1. in 50 years. do you think Tennessee or UCONN fans would consider 1 NC in 50 years to be successful?

would fans of either shool consider 2-3 final 4's in a 10 year period to be a success? is there any year at UCONN or Tennessee where just making the elite 8 is a huge accomplishment?

i'm not saying that neither program will make it to a final 4 or ever win a NC again, but winning a NC is a HUGE deal and both UCONN and tennessee fans tend to think that it's their birthright to contend for 1 every year. i'm not criticizing those fans, as it's what our respective successes have bred.

and i know not everyone will agree with me. i hope i'm wrong for the sake of UCONN. i hope i'm right with regards to tennessee... :)

Reaction Score
Difference between Tenn. now and UCLA when Wooden got the top players from all over the country. Once he left, then it was only Western players that went there. Admittedly, PHS has recruited from all over the country, and that will take a hit, just as the program will take a hit. But with the right coach, say Caldwell, Tenn. will still get a lot of fine players because of the talent within 250 miles of Knoxville.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Both Caldwell and Harper have more head coaching experience than Walz did when he went to Louisville.

Louisville is not on the same level of Tennessee, in terms of history and prowess. Not even close.

Reaction Score
Louisville is not on the same level of Tennessee, in terms of history and prowess. Not even close.

Well, where are you going to find a coach that has been at a school on the same level in terms of history and prowess?

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think that the long-term history of WCBB in any school, and by that I mean over generations, will ultimately depend on the stature of the school and the commitment to sports, esp. to woman's sports. So I agree that UCONN after Geno will not be what we have today, but it will still be good; but UT without Pat, much less so.​
Fun to speculate; time will tell.​

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ok lets get a list of top coaches who can bring TN back to the top? There are plenty of top coaches that would love the job. First of all it pays alot more money then most coaches earn. Second they can work by Pats side while shes still able to coach. Watching TN games last season Pat didnt look good. It appeared something was going on. Im sure those in charge at TN knew of Pats illness. Out of respect they kept it quiet and allowed her time to make the announcement when she was ready which was the right thing to do.

So when does the transition start. Sooner is better then later. A coach coming in after the disease sets in will have a tuffer time recruiting and rebuilding the program. Someone coming in next season with Pat by their side makes more sense to me, because kids go to TN because of Pat and the TN tradition. When Pat can no longer coach there is no tradition or HOF coach to play for. Its somebody elses team, and its not the same TN. So whoever comes in has to start to make their own mark on the program. They will start fresh and if the change isnt made quickly then the transition will be tuff. One other point is who will the current roster of players want to play for, when a list of coaches are chosen?

TN needs a coach who can recruit, and who can rebuild the program. TN will be starting over again. Having Pat there and coherent will be a big help in recruiting. That will last for a period of time. There are several coaches who can recruit and build. Look at some of the up and coming programs, South Dakota, Louisville, Kentucky, Marist to name a few. Think of what those coaches could do at a program like TN with Pat by their side. One big drawback to overcome is these when recruiting the kids must want to play for TN, not Pat, because we dont know how long Pat will be able to coach or remain on the sidelines.

So who are the top coaches who can build and recruit? They dont necessarily have to come from a a big time program. Lets start putting up names and credentials. I personally like Van Cancellor, Waltz, the coachs at Marist, South Dakota, and Kentucky as a start. Who do you like and why?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Van is too old... his best days are behind him!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I cannot imagine TN hiring any man as a head coach in place of Pat. I think that simply would be unacceptable to too many involved.

geesh... clue me in!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
As long as the cupboard is not bare when Pat decides to retire, the next coach will be successful. Tenn has too much resources and is willing to use them to insure their Women's Basketball Program continues to perform at a high level.

Pat has too much of a legacy for the next coach to be considered in her class, just like Geno does. There will be a comparison but the coach will come up short no matter how much success he or she has. Pat had her droughts where Tenn was not in the running for National Championships but it didn't matter because of her previous championships and the number of wins she has. Pat and Geno are legacies in the Women's game and whoever replaces them as the Head Coach will probably not be considered in their class until they're the head coach for approx 10 years and have won multiple National Championships. Until that happens they'll come up short.

As far fetched and unlikely it may be, I still consider her son to get consideration for the Head Coach position if both Pat and Tyler want it. There are two major drawbacks. First he's still in college and won't graduate for two years. I wouldn't be surprised to see him graduate sooner, if he's interested in the Head Coach position. Second will Pat's diagnosis enable her to effectively coach and recruit for three or more years. If Pat is able to continue coaching after Tyler graduates, I can see him getting a coaching position at Tenn to get the experience and recognition that he's a viable candidate to be her replacement despite not having any previous head coaching experience. If Pat is able to coach for 5 or more years and Tyler has 3 years experience at an asst coach level, then he would be a natural replacement for Pat. Another option is to promote one of the existing asst coaches to be Pat's replacement, Tyler as an assistant coach, with the ultimate goal that Tyler will take over in three or four years. Tyler has been around the program his whole life and knows the program inside and out and knows what it would take to continue the Lady Vol program at the highest level. The unknown is can he coach and recruit at the level it would be necessary. My hunch is that he can and if not he is smart enough to surround himself with the assistant coaches that can do the job.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As long as the cupboard is not bare when Pat decides to retire, the next coach will be successful. Tenn has too much resources and is willing to use them to insure their Women's Basketball Program continues to perform at a high level.

Pat has too much of a legacy for the next coach to be considered in her class, just like Geno does. There will be a comparison but the coach will come up short no matter how much success he or she has. Pat had her droughts where Tenn was not in the running for National Championships but it didn't matter because of her previous championships and the number of wins she has. Pat and Geno are legacies in the Women's game and whoever replaces them as the Head Coach will probably not be considered in their class until they're the head coach for approx 10 years and have won multiple National Championships. Until that happens they'll come up short.

As far fetched and unlikely it may be, I still consider her son to get consideration for the Head Coach position if both Pat and Tyler want it. There are two major drawbacks. First he's still in college and won't graduate for two years. I wouldn't be surprised to see him graduate sooner, if he's interested in the Head Coach position. Second will Pat's diagnosis enable her to effectively coach and recruit for three or more years. If Pat is able to continue coaching after Tyler graduates, I can see him getting a coaching position at Tenn to get the experience and recognition that he's a viable candidate to be her replacement despite not having any previous head coaching experience. If Pat is able to coach for 5 or more years and Tyler has 3 years experience at an asst coach level, then he would be a natural replacement for Pat. Another option is to promote one of the existing asst coaches to be Pat's replacement, Tyler as an assistant coach, with the ultimate goal that Tyler will take over in three or four years. Tyler has been around the program his whole life and knows the program inside and out and knows what it would take to continue the Lady Vol program at the highest level. The unknown is can he coach and recruit at the level it would be necessary. My hunch is that he can and if not he is smart enough to surround himself with the assistant coaches that can do the job.

This is simply such a bizarre concept I'm stunned. Name me one other one other legendary major college program among the best of their sport with a multi-million dollar budget that would consider it appropriate to turn over that program to an untested and inexperienced 23 year old because he child of the legendary coach even with a quality support group in place.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
geesh... clue me in!
Come on DC you really don't think that is true. TN is as much an old girls network as there is. Even the structure of the athletic department is set that way.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Come on DC you really don't think that is true. TN is as much an old girls network as it is. Even the structure of the athletic department is set that way.
well they did hire the token male Dean Lockwood. :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As far fetched and unlikely it may be, I still consider her son to get consideration for the Head Coach position if both Pat and Tyler want it. The unknown is can he coach and recruit at the level it would be necessary. My hunch is that he can and if not he is smart enough to surround himself with the assistant coaches that can do the job.

Who the heck would chose to go to TN under such a situation?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Come on DC you really don't think that is true. TN is as much an old girls network as it is. Even the structure of the athletic department is set that way.

I guess you got a point

Reaction Score
This is simply such a bizarre concept I'm stunned. Name me one other one other legendary major college program among the best of their sport with a multi-million dollar budget that would consider it appropriate to turn over that program to an untested and inexperienced 23 year old because he child of the legendary coach even with a quality support group in place.

I thought Bobby Knight "anointing" his son when he quit the last time was bizarre. But on a more serious note, wasn't Pat that young when she was hired? And wasn't Tenn a successful program?
The problem with carrying on with the Summitt legacy with one of her protegees is that SHE was the program. Much the same with UConn. It's likely the school hires a Geno assistant or ex-player but they won't be him.

Reaction Score
oh ok......................
So you also noticed it. I posted as such on a number of sites. Understandably caught hell for that later on the Summet. Was never ment as disrespect- just an observation on a seemingly subtle decline measured against her own standard. As you posted something didn't seem right. Considering her age it made no sense to me until her present condition was revieled.

I would think that her condition shouldn't influence her effectiveness in everyday coaching as much as it would her in game adjustments. Thats the area I noticed was already effected last season. Her staff just needs to take more of an active part in that area now and gradually do the same in the other areas as they become neccessary. It's not going to be easy for them being that she is Icon. There was a thread on the Summet titled "the 300 pound garilla" which touched on the difficulty of the coming situation in relation to a transition. Not much imput at the time, but considering the circumstances of the timing of the adjustment to the shock of the news that was not surprising. All things considered the continuity in any future transition might turn out to more sporatic than smooth, Dicey at best.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought Bobby Knight "anointing" his son when he quit the last time was bizarre. But on a more serious note, wasn't Pat that young when she was hired? And wasn't Tenn a successful program?
The problem with carrying on with the Summitt legacy with one of her protegees is that SHE was the program. Much the same with UConn. It's likely the school hires a Geno assistant or ex-player but they won't be him.

And his son, Pat, was considerably older at 33.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Come on DC you really don't think that is true. TN is as much an old girls network as there is. Even the structure of the athletic department is set that way.
sooooooooo the AD that's replacing Joan C is a "man"? (yeah I know he's covering both teams etc.) is this true, was it mentioned on this site? (site is a tough read so I dont surf that much)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
sooooooooo the AD that's replacing Joan C is a "man"? (yeah I know he's covering both teams etc.) is this true, was it mentioned on this site? (site is a tough read so I dont surf that much)
Seems to be. A step into the 21st century. Is there much whining about it on the other board?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Don't bury the lede. The big deal is that they've abandoned the concept of separate Athletic Departments.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
But on a more serious note, wasn't Pat that young when she was hired? And wasn't Tenn a successful program?
That's funny. I've had the odd experience of telling Tennessee fans how successful the team was before Pat took over and being jumped on for being so wrong. It was truly bizarre. The fact is they were successful as measured by wins and losses, but the program was so different than today, the concept of "night and day" doesn't do it justice. Pat's success was lightning in a bottle. Lest any of the usual idiots misunderstand, that's not a slam, it simply means you can't conclude that you can hire another young, untested coach and repeat the success. UConn can't do it, and Tennessee cannot do it, at least not without any assurance of success. Both programs are likely to pick a replacement with a lot of experience. If they go the untested route, the odds are against them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I believe it can be done if you have a good batch of players already on board and recruits by into the tradition.
If Geno stopped coaching TODAY would UConn chances look slimmer with the same current player and recruits coming in next season.

lets say with Riz coming in as coach (young and untested)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Seems to be. A step into the 21st century. Is there much whining about it on the other board?
didnt read too deep into what was said, just ran back over here after noticing they hired "a man"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

and they blew holes in your theory within weeks (kind of, even tho we were talking about a male LV coach but you went as far as the dept also)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom