Who made the dumb decision ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who made the dumb decision ?

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, as much as I love and respect Jim Calhoun, he made a problematic decision regarding his successor. We've all made bad personnel decisions; the key is how quickly and effectively you remedy the error.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don’t know if it’s illegal but it should be.

A state employee provided leverage for himself inside a contract he negotiated with an underling.

Why should Warde Manuel be able to provide himself job security and leverage through Ollie’s contract when he is the one responsible for Ollie’s contact.

The state ethics board is on Corey Edsall’s jock and let that loser write himself leverage into Ollie’s deal.

That is full fledged insanity.

It’s a disgrace to state government and should have had Manuel, SuzieLax and every lawyer in Storrs getting grilled in Hartford.

I’ve been saying this forever - and look at the mess it created.
I’d like to hear answers to why that clause was in there. The way you phrased it—which seems accurate—it sounds like potential self-dealing and/or conflict of interest for Manuel. Was there anyone else whose departure was a trigger for the removal of KO’s buyout? Herbst?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’d like to hear answers to why that clause was in there. The way you phrased it—which seems accurate—it sounds like potential self-dealing and/or conflict of interest for Manuel. Was there anyone whose departure was a trigger for the removal of KO’s buyout? Herbst?

The funny part being Manuel probably thought it would go the opposite way.

Ollie would win more and have NBA suitors and he would just print money for himself.

Ya know I think I may just retire but a 500k raise would probably change my mind!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’d like to hear answers to why that clause was in there. The way you phrased it—which seems accurate—it sounds like potential self-dealing and/or conflict of interest for Manuel. Was there anyone whose departure was a trigger for the removal of KO’s buyout? Herbst?

Just another symptom of just how inept the admin is. We learn nothing about nothing - the Kremlin in Storrs isn’t exactly interested in transparency... wonder why?

Reaction Score
Think Ollie regrets not jumping for the NBA?

Do we know if he truly wanted this job long - term? Could it be a possibility that Ollie wanted a HC job to get on his resume to use as a stepping stone for an NBA position? He had early success with the National Championship and was getting PAID. As we know, the NBA came calling, but why leave the $ the State is paying especially when you enjoyed immediate success? A storied program like UConn, easy recruiting (due to him being an NBA veteran with numerous connections to the pros), a national title in his first two seasons, new facilities on campus and a ridiculous contract with some nice perks. Not to mention, in a state with no pro teams, he would be idolized.

Would it be dumb to say that maybe Ollie thought he would skate the rest of his career....which could have lead to ego, laziness, etc. Now he's dug himself a hole and he's not sure how to get out. I've got to imagine there is only one of two ways...take a position in the NBA or coach the rest of the season to save his job. Not sure other colleges are going to come calling if he's let go. Problem is, I think the players have all but given up.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, as much as I love and respect Jim Calhoun, he made a problematic decision regarding his successor. We've all made bad personnel decisions; the key is how quickly and effectively you remedy the error.
By “problematic” you mean that annoying 2014 National Championship?

Reaction Score
Yes, won with Calhoun's players and system. It's hard to be an apologist for Ollie, but I guess that's your best argument, weak as it is.

Reaction Score
so, 3 pages later, did we figure it out yet????
I think KO gave himself the extension and nobody noticed until they checked his file & now...........

giphy (1).gif

Reaction Score
Yes, won with Calhoun's players and system. It's hard to be an apologist for Ollie, but I guess that's your best argument, weak as it is.
What system was that and tell me about all these Calhoun Players
What the heck does winning with someone else players really mean .
Is there a rational human being that says UConn won their first NIT in 1987 ,but did it with Perno’s players. If Ollie is fired and in three years the new coach mange’s to keep
The incoming recruits Gilbert Whaley ,Carlton ,Polley together and somehow get to a ZfF will you say “ ya but he did it with Ollie’s players “
You can hate Ollie but try to be honest. Rational is a stretch.
Saying he won with Calhoun players is exactly what the UConn haters have been saying for years. The reason they say that is the use it to hurt our recruiting . UConn fans who repeat that stupid mantra give aid and comfort to the enemy.
Or as Uncle Joe Stalin use to call you “useful idiots”
Let’s examine this team of superstars.
He had two good undersized guards neither considered an NBA player. and he was the guard coach. Bazz was two emotional and confrontational to ever be a successful leader.
DD was a KO recruit and in his one year under JC his numbers were non existent.
The Great Giffey average 2 points a game his two full seasons under JC and was so deep in coaches doghouse a coaching change gave him a new lease on life.
What he accomplished with this misfit cast plus the addition of Brimah ,Kromah ,TSam
Not a blueblood in the lot . Was one if not the best coaching jobs in UConn history and I go back to Hugh Greer.
First just keeping that core together under suspension, relagation to the AAC ,and awful press was an accomplishment .
Fan desertion , and a short term contract that killed an entire recruiting season didn’t help.
2014 when the emotion of the Ollie hatred subsides and is reviewed by rational people could be one of the alltime great NCAA basketball stories. The story is that good It’s a modern day Hoosiers story . (2011 the team had an NBA all-star PG and a young but Uber talented bunch.)
To take one once of credit from that job the coach did that year is criminal.
Especially if you insist your a UConn fan. Trolls just keep trolling.

Reaction Score
I've been in the 'fire Ollie' camp for a while now.

When they signed his extension, not only was I supportive, I was both enthusiastic AND relieved. I don't know of anyone who was like 'gee guys, I don't know....' He was coming off a tournament run where he looked like he took four of the best college basketball coaches in the United States and turned them into his own personal sock puppets. The NBA was ALL over him. Even *at the time* I remember thinking 'how on earth does a school like UConn not only luck their way into Calhoun BUT A GUY WHO MIGHT BE BETTER'

I was just really, really wrong, that's all.

Reaction Score
Is there a rational human being that says UConn won their first NIT in 1987 ,but did it with Perno’s players. If Ollie is fired and in three years the new coach mange’s to keep
The incoming recruits Gilbert Whaley ,Carlton ,Polley together and somehow get to a ZfF will you say “ ya but he did it with Ollie’s players “
Saying he won with Calhoun players is exactly what the UConn haters have been saying for years. The reason they say that is the use it to hurt our recruiting . UConn fans who repeat that stupid mantra give aid and comfort to the enemy.
He had two good undersized guards neither considered an NBA player. and he was the guard coach. Bazz was two emotional and confrontational to ever be a successful leader.
The Great Giffey average 2 points a game his two full seasons under JC and was so deep in coaches doghouse a coaching change gave him a new lease on life.
What he accomplished with this misfit cast plus the addition of Brimah ,Kromah ,TSam
Not a blueblood in the lot . Was one if not the best coaching jobs in UConn history and I go back to Hugh Greer.
First just keeping that core together under suspension, relagation to the AAC ,and awful press was an accomplishment .
Fan desertion , and a short term contract that killed an entire recruiting season didn’t help.
2014 when the emotion of the Ollie hatred subsides and is reviewed by rational people could be one of the alltime great NCAA basketball stories. The story is that good It’s a modern day Hoosiers story . (2011 the team had an NBA all-star PG and a young but Uber talented bunch.)

Just amazing how you and your ilk can promote mediocrity at best, failure at worst. Ummm, have you seen the empty seats at UConn's home games lately? In 2018, we can hardly compete in a conference we all thought we're too good for. 2014 was JC's team and our performance and record since that time has been just awful. And you want to perpetuate this shoddy performance which is dooming UConn basketball ...and athletics, possibly for decades to come? Ollie did do a great job with JC's team in 2014, no question, but it's been a nightmare since, without no hope it's going to get better. And BTW, when JC took over for the hapless Dom Perno, everything changed quickly and for the better. Ollie is the exact reverse. So if you think Dom Perno was good for UConn basketball, just stay on the Ollie ship. You won't have many passengers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Google Larry Coker and Miami.

There now you know what winning with someone else’s players means.

Reaction Score
Ha! The last thing that I am is an Ollie apologist. I’m not sure you understand my sarcasm. You should just ask yourself how you felt about Jim Calhoun’s “problematic decision” on April 8, 2014. If YOU want to lay the hiring of Kevin Olllie at JC’s feet, be sure to acknowledge that that hiring yielded a 4th National Championship.

Jim Calhoun’s “career” at UConn ended with an exclamation point that night in Dallas.

Reaction Score

And yours the weakest typical " with Calhouns players". You mean besides Bazz who wasn't very good his soph Year, the players who were hardly an impact under Jim Calhoun? At least get that right.

Doesn't mean he's been good at all since then but people who don't give him credit because they were Jims players aren't being truthful.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
KO got the money & maybe he got comfortable, who knows..but it really hasn't worked at all the past 4 years & this team was / is going nowhere but down.

The program badly needs a re-set & I understand if KO is booted next year might be ugly with transfers & de-commits but if the right guy is brought in it can be a quick turnaround. Right now I have zero confidence in KO to run a program & if the right person is brought in quickly in April then maybe the current players will breathe a sigh of relief as well.

There is a lot of ignorance about why uconn basketball is in the spot it is in. There aren't too many coaches that could manage the transition down in conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
There is a lot of ignorance about why uconn basketball is in the spot it is in. There aren't too many coaches that could manage the transition down in conference affiliation.
You must think the world of Mick Cronin.

Reaction Score
That’s just plain ignorant. Most examples of a change in conference are in the other direction - moving up. THAT can be quite difficult , particularly if the school moving up doesn’t have the resources or brand recognition to compete with the new members.

If anything, the competition in our world got waaaaay easier. It’s why Cincy is able to be at the top. Did Mick Cronin suddenly become a great coach? It’s also why Villanova was able to become a more national player - they didn’t have to compete with UConn, Syracuse, Louisville, etc. And while the AAC certainly doesn’t have the appeal of the old Big East or a Power 5 conference, there’s really no excuse for what we have today. None. We have, still, the resources, tradition and name recognition to be killing it - in the AAC and beyond. We just have a coach that’s killing the program.

Reaction Score
I've been in the 'fire Ollie' camp for a while now.

When they signed his extension, not only was I supportive, I was both enthusiastic AND relieved. I don't know of anyone who was like 'gee guys, I don't know....' He was coming off a tournament run where he looked like he took four of the best college basketball coaches in the United States and turned them into his own personal sock puppets. The NBA was ALL over him. Even *at the time* I remember thinking 'how on earth does a school like UConn not only luck their way into Calhoun BUT A GUY WHO MIGHT BE BETTER'

I was just really, really wrong, that's all.

I don’t believe anyone has argued the new contract after the national championship. Which would have ran out after next season. It’s the extension in 2016 that I believe this thread refers to. At that time none of the things you mentioned were still occurring.

Reaction Score
Agreed. But somewhere along the line something changed. You sign the 7th ranked recruiting class in the country and you chase them off, in part because you showed no vision in how you planned on developing them? Id love for him to earn one more year down the stretch. Let these transfers move on, bring in some young talent and stop trying to patch holes in the roster with grad transfers from 2 levels down every year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don’t believe anyone has argued the new contract after the national championship. Which would have ran out after next season. It’s the extension in 2016 that I believe this thread refers to. At that time none of the things you mentioned were still occurring.
You, like many others, are forgetting this point:

Everyone seems to have forgotten the clause in KO's 2014 contract which eliminated the buyout he would owe the school (for leaving while under contract) is the AD left. Once Warde left we needed to quickly and decisively make a determination on KO'S contract. At the time the new contract did not appear to be an unreasonable move on our part.

Here is Ollie's 2014 contract, which was in effect when he signed the extension. Look at the last paragraph on page 2 (@whaler11 , as I remembered, Herbst was also in the clause; I agree that it is strange that his bosses, who were negotiating the contract with him on behalf of the University, allowed a clause that benefited only them and Ollie).

Reaction Score
You, like many others, are forgetting this point:

Here is Ollie's 2014 contract, which was in effect when he signed the extension. Look at the last paragraph on page 2 (@whaler11 , as I remembered, Herbst was also in the clause; I agree that it is strange that his bosses, who were negotiating the contract with him on behalf of the University, allowed a clause that benefited only them and Ollie).

Reasonable based on what? I’m asking, I don’t know. Did he have other teams willing to pay him over $3mm a year to coach their team?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Reasonable based on what? I’m asking, I don’t know. Did he have other teams willing to pay him over $3mm a year to coach their team?
No idea. Media reports suggested he was under consideration for NBA jobs and I'm sure his agent played that up in the negotiations.

I don't fault Benedict for the extension. I do fault him for allowing the exact same clause in the extension, although it won't come into play now.

Reaction Score
Would calipari or booger nose, or smart(remember him?), or the leprechaun, or self have won with that group against that Run of opponents?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom