Who made the dumb decision ? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who made the dumb decision ?

Reaction Score
Would calipari or booger nose, or smart(remember him?), or the leprechaun, or self have won with that group against that Run of opponents?
IDK, maybe the better question is whether George Blaney or Tom Moore would have had the same result in 2014. Moot point IMO. Nothing close to 2014 has been replicated by Ollie. We are headed downhill, the trend is down, and not only for basketball. I was one of the few that attended the 8-9 games in MSG in the 1980s. I just don't want to go back there...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was one of the few that attended the 8-9 games in MSG in the 1980s. I just don't want to go back there...
Why, you didn't like getting hammered on a Wednesday?

Reaction Score
2014–15 Connecticut 20–15 10–8 T–5th NIT First Round
2015–16 Connecticut 25–11 11–7 6th NCAA Second Round

Based off these two seasons I'm not seeing where he deserved an extension. Still had three more years on current contract. What was the rush? What has he done with these big recruits?

He got paid off NC, that's fair. The next extension should based of what he did after that.

No

You're not being fair nor real world. A National Championship. He got what ANY other school would have offered in similar circumstances. We can all micromanage his actions since with the Program; and much of it is sub-optimal performance. (except the academic results) He has to get better and will. Our Fanbase is just too fickle and expectations are sky high always. I hope the University and Kevin come to a resolution. My personal opinion is he needs to regenerate his Love for the Game ... in the NBA as a top assistant somewhere. He needs to get far better game education. And, it might just be that he fails to reach this age of athlete.

Reaction Score
No

You're not being fair nor real world. A National Championship. He got what ANY other school would have offered in similar circumstances. We can all micromanage his actions since with the Program; and much of it is sub-optimal performance. (except the academic results) He has to get better and will. Our Fanbase is just too fickle and expectations are sky high always. I hope the University and Kevin come to a resolution. My personal opinion is he needs to regenerate his Love for the Game ... in the NBA as a top assistant somewhere. He needs to get far better game education. And, it might just be that he fails to reach this age of athlete.

He got a fair contract for what he did at the time but he hasn't delivered a reasonable product since. We hired him to be the head coach of a top national basketball program for top program pay. He's not living up to his contract or our expectations. $3 Million is a LOT of money. 3 MILLION A YEAR - to be great, to be top tier, not to SUCK.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ollie is absolutely not worth $3 million a year. There is no coach we will bring in that will be worth that much, so we don't need to worry about that number.

Herb Sendek? Tom Crean? Steve Lavin? Who do you guys want? Who is NC State's assistant HC? Maybe he could come here.

Reaction Score
No

So expections of being a top 3 team in AAC is sky high. The contract he signed set expectations he couldn’t live up to.

What has the fan base been fickle about? Wanting a compentent coach that puts a competive team on the court?

Reaction Score
No

You’re calling the fans fickle but saying we have a coach who needs to find love for the game again. Wow!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
except supposedly NBA footsy was being played during the time of the KO extension and there was an imminent threat of him leaving, so the school couldn't wait.

This situation is known as getting snookered by a slickster sports agent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Herb Sendek? Tom Crean? Steve Lavin? Who do you guys want? Who is NC State's assistant HC? Maybe he could come here.

There is zero point looking at retreads. Need up and comers.

Reaction Score
Here's the list of college basketball coaches making north of $3 million/year:

Coach K
Callipari
Self
Pitino
Izzo
Huggins
Beilein
Marshall

So I mean - UConn is pretty appealing. Even if they're at $2 million-$2.5 million a year - they're going to get a really good coach.

Reaction Score
Ollie is absolutely not worth $3 million a year. There is no coach we will bring in that will be worth that much, so we don't need to worry about that number.

No college basketball coach is worth 3m/year. I've never understood why anyone would ever pay that much.

Reaction Score
Google Larry Coker and Miami.

There now you know what winning with someone else’s players means.
Larry Coker is an interesting story
The truth is a somewhat different than you insist .
First he was a middle aged man with 20 years as an effective offensive coordinator He once had Thurman (Thomas and Barry Sanders playing the same position )who never actually applied for the job,
The old coach bales on the team News YearscDay for the worst job in the NFL There has to be a backstory in that move.
The first two or three choices turned down the job. It took lobbying by his friends and a player revolt for Miami To offer him the job.
If you know anything about sports than you are aware that a head football coach manages a large staff and the skill sets required for this are far different than the supervisory role of a coordinator. Even by comparison a B.B. head coach has much less requirement
Coker won a NC in his first year and was most likely jobbed of a repeat his second . His motivational skill was extraordinary and the players love for him are unquestionably.
Those years were Miami last in the Big East , They then they moved to the ACC . As someone as smart a you should know Southern Fla is ironical a Nothern area.
That move also doomed BC , and eventual VT.
Coker after such an astounding debut 22-0 , followed up those teams
With a few 9-3 teams and was fired when the team went 7-6
His lifetime record is astounding 55-15 with four Bowl wins in 6 tries .
Coker’s problem wasn’t coaching The NC and the heart break loss are dubious without the players love for him.
He obviously couldn’t manage people who pretty much took advantage of his easy going nature. He also allowed Undue outside influence that he ignored which almost lead to the death penalty for the school. In someways the next guy faced a more similar task than Ollie
He was changed with getting tarnished academics up which he did but couldn’t win so he was fired
Since Coker left Miami their record is something like 65-55. For those who think things can’t get worse their life skills are pretty non existant
So Coker was a great motivator and a lousy mgr. Hardly a poster child for a stupid cliche .
These Cliches are propagated by sports talking heads with IQ’s of 100
No one with an has over a 110 IQ should mindless repeat the mantra.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Larry Coker is an interesting story
The truth is a somewhat different than you insist .
First he was a middle aged man with 20 years as an effective offensive coordinator He once had Thurman (Thomas and Barry Sanders playing the same position )who never actually applied for the job,
The old coach bales on the team News YearscDay for the worst job in the NFL There has to be a backstory in that move.
The first two or three choices turned down the job. It took lobbying by his friends and a player revolt for Miami To offer him the job.
If you know anything about sports than you are aware that a head football coach manages a large staff and the skill sets required for this are far different than the supervisory role of a coordinator. Even by comparison a B.B. head coach has much less requirement
Coker won a NC in his first year and was most likely jobbed of a repeat his second . His motivational skill was extraordinary and the players love for him are unquestionably.
Those years were Miami last in the Big East , They then they moved to the ACC . As someone as smart a you should know Southern Fla is ironical a Nothern area.
That move also doomed BC , and eventual VT.
Coker after such an astounding debut 22-0 , followed up those teams
With a few 9-3 teams and was fired when the team went 7-6
His lifetime record is astounding 55-15 with four Bowl wins in 6 tries .
Coker’s problem wasn’t coaching The NC and the heart break loss are dubious without the players love for him.
He obviously couldn’t manage people who pretty much took advantage of his easy going nature. He also allowed Undue outside influence that he ignored which almost lead to the death penalty for the school. In someways the next guy faced a more similar task than Ollie
He was changed with getting tarnished academics up which he did but couldn’t win so he was fired
Since Coker left Miami their record is something like 65-55. For those who think things can’t get worse their life skills are pretty non existant
So Coker was a great motivator and a lousy mgr. Hardly a poster child for a stupid cliche .
These Cliches are propagated by sports talking heads with IQ’s of 100
No one with an has over a 110 IQ should mindless repeat the mantra.

No more submissions for post of the year.

We have our winner.

Reaction Score
So expections of being a top 3 team in AAC is sky high. The contract he signed set expectations he couldn’t live up to.

What has the fan base been fickle about? Wanting a compentent coach that puts a competive team on the court?
Attendance has been dropping for years . This is no longer the same State student body or Alumni base that put us in position for success.
The most telling game last year was the AAC semifinal game against Cinncy
After 2 impressive wins your playing an important game against and an old Big East Team in the semis and 7,000 people show up
That sent a great message to the players. You wonder why kids bale on the program. If 15,000 fans rocked Hartford do you think that might have convinced kids to stay or recruits to not de-commit. I don’t know for sure but it wouldn’t hurt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom