Who made the dumb decision ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who made the dumb decision ?

Reaction Score
I was very disappointed when I found this out. AD Dave really seemed like he had a handle on things and could help pull us out of the weeds.
Well this board had an irrational anger toward Warde so it doesn't shock me that gets more blame than he deserves. AD Dave essentially made the Diaco mistake with Ollie.

Reaction Score
2014–15 Connecticut 20–15 10–8 T–5th NIT First Round
2015–16 Connecticut 25–11 11–7 6th NCAA Second Round

Based off these two seasons I'm not seeing where he deserved an extension. Still had three more years on current contract. What was the rush? What has he done with these big recruits?

He got paid off NC, that's fair. The next extension should based of what he did after that.

It's simply how these things work. Bobby Hurley just got an extension at Arizona State after going 15-17 and 15-18 in his first two seasons and a good start to this season. He hasn't even made the NIT and he got extended.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Obviously I don't know Ollie well enough for this to be anything more than armchair psychiatry speculation, but he appears to show signs of serious depression. That can be pretty incapacitating in any line of work.

Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous question.

In the fall of 2016, it looked it was possible that Ollie would go to the NBA to coach and he had managed a team through probation, won an NCAA title, and had made the NCAA Tournament in two out of the 3 years eligible. UConn won an exciting AAC tournament in 2016. His record was 97-44 and he had just signed the #8 recruiting class. I don't remember many people objecting to the new contract at the time.

Unfortunately, that was the peak for Kevin Ollie. Something changed after the contract was signed and UConn's men's basketball has been in a decline since.

I don't blame anybody for the Ollie contract as I would have extended him as well based on his performance through the Fall of 2016.

Reaction Score
It's simply how these things work. Bobby Hurley just got an extension at Arizona State after going 15-17 and 15-18 in his first two seasons and a good start to this season. He hasn't even made the NIT and he got extended.

Hurley was at bottom of pay for PAC 10 coaches, Ollie at top of coaches salaries in AAC as well as country at time of extension.

Arizona St. ranked 25th going in a positive direction, Ollie well... not so much at time, but who could have predicted it would get this ugly.

That being sad this isn't simple how it works. Most coaches get fired after two losing seasons, not an extension. As will Ollie after this season.

Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous question.

In the fall of 2016, it looked it was possible that Ollie would go to the NBA to coach and he had managed a team through probation, won an NCAA title, and had made the NCAA Tournament in two out of the 3 years eligible. UConn won an exciting AAC tournament in 2016. His record was 97-44 and he had just signed the #8 recruiting class. I don't remember many people objecting to the new contract at the time.

Unfortunately, that was the peak for Kevin Ollie. Something changed after the contract was signed and UConn's men's basketball has been in a decline since.

I don't blame anybody for the Ollie contract as I would have extended him as well based on his performance through the Fall of 2016.
This post makes so much sense, but without P5 money to bail us out of a worst case scenario, we're better off taking our chances at having our coaches poached going forward. Diaco and Ollie buyouts have been case studies in how to not run an AD without P5 TV money.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He already got a new contract paying $3MM a year after national championship. He was given an extension in 2016. He was already locked up. Once again this wasn’t his payday after NC, this was a premature extension.

"Ollie's previous contract was set to expire May 31, 2019"
We gave him the extension in Nov 2016 (during the season), 5 months after extending Diaco's (Dec 2015 negotiations May 2016 extension) contract.

There would seem to be enough good reasons to hold off until last year was in the books. You would still have had another 2 1/2 seasons before the end of the contract (last year partial, this year AND next). Given our financial situation there seems to be plenty of reasons to take another year to evaluate the trajectory of the program before locking yourself into a big buyout situation you CANNOT AFFORD. During that time they would have also experienced the fallout from Diaco's extension and most certainly would have factored that in.

It was (not just in retrospect) a questionable move. I would prefer we offer generous incentive bonuses at the outset and make it plain to any coach coming in that we will not renegotiate with more than 1 year left on any contract.

Reaction Score
We gave him the extension in Nov 2016 (during the season), 5 months after extending Diaco's (Dec 2015 negotiations May 2016 extension) contract.

There would seem to be enough good reasons to hold off until last year was in the books. You would still have had another 2 1/2 seasons before the end of the contract (last year partial, this year AND next). Given our financial situation there seems to be plenty of reasons to take another year to evaluate the trajectory of the program before locking yourself into a big buyout situation you CANNOT AFFORD. During that time they would have also experienced the fallout from Diaco's extension and most certainly would have factored that in.

It was (not just in retrospect) a questionable move.
except supposedly NBA footsy was being played during the time of the KO extension and there was an imminent threat of him leaving, so the school couldn't wait.

Reaction Score
That was the 2014 contract:
Ollie puts heart into signing new UConn deal

except supposedly NBA footsy was being played during the time of the KO extension and there was an imminent threat of him leaving, so the school couldn't wait.

If you bought that. Agents have a way of floating all kinds of rumors. Bottom line we negotiated a contract we couldn't afford. Build in incentives without mortgaging your future and closing off your options.

Reaction Score
Obviously I don't know Ollie well enough for this to be anything more than armchair psychiatry speculation, but he appears to show signs of serious depression. That can be pretty incapacitating in any line of work.
I agree. And he is at an age where depression tends to set in on men.

Reaction Score
It is not uncommon to make sure a coach has a 4 year life on a contract at all times to help with recruiting. This whole situation evolved with the manner in which he was hired in the 1st place with the manner in which JC retired. Recruiting would have been difficult during that 1st year if KO only had the 1 year contract. If a true search was able to be held, the new hire would have gotten a 4-5 year contract to start off & probably would have gotten an extension if they had won a national championship which would put us on about the same timeline as we are now. If we're going to look back at who made the "dumb" decision to give the extension, we have to look the whole way back to KO's 1st hiring as HC. KO had a couple year period in which everything he touched worked which has now changed significantly to other way.

Folks keep referring to the fact that he is the highest paid head coach in the AAC; at the time of the extension UConn & he were still shining pretty brightly & I'm sure we all thought at the time that whoever the UConn head coach was should be the highest paid head coach in the AAC....

Reaction Score

It was (not just in retrospect) a questionable move. I would prefer we offer generous incentive bonuses at the outset and make it plain to any coach coming in that we will not renegotiate with more than 1 year left on any contract.
Jimdish - Unfortunately, that is not the way it works in college sports anymore as it negatively impacts recruiting. Typically, coaches will have at least 4 years remaining on their contracts to show recruits that the school is committed to the coach for the duration of their college career. You will never get a high 4 star or 5 star basketball recruit if the coach has only 1 or 2 years left on their contract.

Here are some examples:

PC: In 2013, Cooley signed through 2021. In 2016, he signed a "contract for life."
Syracuse: Boeheim is signed through 2021/2022 season.
Kentucky: Calipari is signed through 2023/2024 season.
Texas: Shaka Smart is signed through 2022/2023 season.
Xavier: Mack is signed through 2022/2023 season.
Cincinnati: In 2014, Cronin signed a 7 year contract through 2020/2021 season.

How could a UConn men's basketball coach on a 1 or 2 year contract recruit against coaches that their school's have shown a LT commitment?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Everyone seems to have forgotten the clause in KO's 2014 contract which eliminated the buyout he would owe the school (for leaving while under contract) is the AD left. Once Warde left we needed to quickly and decisively make a determination on KO'S contract. At the time the new contract did not appear to be an unreasonable move on our part.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, that narrative is not accurate at all. There was no contract set in place upon Warde's departure.
I’ve heard that before but something doesn’t seem right with it.
He had a contract with the school not a personal contract with Warde
How can that be terminated on your AD departure?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I’ve heard that before but something doesn’t seem right with it.
He had a contract with the school not a personal contract with Warde
How can that be terminated on your AD departure?

The November 2016 extension was drawn up by Benedict, not Warde.

Warde did not leave an extension framework in place after heading to Michigan. It was 100% a Benedict project.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He won a national championship with a roster that probably doesn't rank in the top dozen in program history based on pure talent. He also won that title by out-coaching Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan and Calipari (okay, the last isn't a special feat) in succession. He also proved he could bring in big recruits (five-star kids like Hamilton and Adams).
Wow! I wish we could get someone like that in Storrs!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The November 2016 extension was drawn up by Benedict, not Warde.

Warde did not leave an extension framework in place after heading to Michigan. It was 100% a Benedict project.
You know this how Stair? That wasn't my understanding until very recently.

Reaction Score
what are his external options after the last 2-3 yr clustrfk??

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Everyone seems to have forgotten the clause in KO's 2014 contract which eliminated the buyout he would owe the school (for leaving while under contract) is the AD left. Once Warde left we needed to quickly and decisively make a determination on KO'S contract. At the time the new contract did not appear to be an unreasonable move on our part.

A clause that should have been illegal and had them all in front of an ethics board.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A clause that should have been illegal and had them all in front of an ethics board.
I remember seeing that in there at the time and thinking it was a very unusual clause. And @FfldCntyFan is absolutely right we were stripped of that “protection” once Warde left, hence the need to have a new contract to lock Ollie down, because that’s what the conventional wisdom was at the time.

No doubt that clause played a key role and it is curious that it was there to begin with. Without knowing more I’d just say good negotiating by KO and his people and really bad negotiating by whoever was doing our bidding, but I’m not seeing anything illegal or unethical about it. Are you being hyperbolic or do you see something more than just ineptitude?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I remember seeing that in there at the time and thinking it was a very unusual clause. And @FfldCntyFan is absolutely right we were stripped of that “protection” once Warde left, hence the need to have a new contract to lock Ollie down, because that’s what the conventional wisdom was at the time.

No doubt that clause played a key role and it is curious that it was there to begin with. Without knowing more I’d just say good negotiating by KO and his people and really bad negotiating by whoever was doing our bidding, but I’m not seeing anything illegal or unethical about it. Are you being hyperbolic or do you see something more than just ineptitude?

I don’t know if it’s illegal but it should be.

A state employee provided leverage for himself inside a contract he negotiated with an underling.

Why should Warde Manuel be able to provide himself job security and leverage through Ollie’s contract when he is the one responsible for Ollie’s contact.

The state ethics board is on Corey Edsall’s jock and let that loser write himself leverage into Ollie’s deal.

That is full fledged insanity.

It’s a disgrace to state government and should have had Manuel, SuzieLax and every lawyer in Storrs getting grilled in Hartford.

I’ve been saying this forever - and look at the mess it created.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom