Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player? - Poll | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player? - Poll

Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player?

• Breanna Stewart

• Diana Taurasi

• Sue Bird

• Rebecca Lobo

• Maya Moore

• Jen Rizzotti

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Oh I know. I put an enormous weight on who DT won her last two Championships with. That was Herculean. And I don't think either of the other two girls would have brought home the hardware twice. Maybe once, but not twice.

And this is my overarching metric: if my life is on the line, and I need one player to have a huge game, or make a huge shot, who am I taking. DT 100 out of 100.

Same way if I need one drive in football. It's Brady every single time for me, no questions asked.

I'm not arguing. All three are super choices. I went with Stewie. Sooo-- suppose I'm Geno and my team needs a stop? Who would you want in there? Stewie and Maya might be in there, but DT wouldn't, right?

Suppose I needed a basket and the opposing team wasn't very tall? I can remember Stewie being "automatic" late in the big game two years ago vs Md. UCONN just lobbed the ball inside. :):):)

Reaction Score
I'm not arguing. All three are super choices. I went with Stewie. Sooo-- suppose I'm Geno and my team needs a stop? Who would you want in there? Stewie and Maya might be in there, but DT wouldn't, right?

Suppose I needed a basket and the opposing team wasn't very tall? I can remember Stewie being "automatic" late in the big game two years ago vs Md. UCONN just lobbed the ball inside. :):):)
Down 9 versus Texas in the FF with Time running out. Who did bring Uconn back to win the game by 2 pts? They call her Taurasi! That is how Legends are made!

Reaction Score
Of all the greats, only DT brought home the gold surrounded by a host of solid players, but still less than an allstar cast and she did it not once, but twice. In her other championship season, she was the go-to player in the crunchiest of crunch times as a soph, when she WAS surrounded by an allstar cast.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
They dont get there without Diana! Imo Taurasi plays for Stewie or Maya team they still wins those NCs. But they dont win playing for her in 03 and 04.

Are you really saying that juniors Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Tamika Williams, and Ashja Jones wouldn't have made it to the Final Four w/o freshman DT?

Seriously?

Reaction Score
Are you really saying that juniors Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Tamika Williams, and Ashja Jones wouldn't have made it to the Final Four w/o freshman DT?

Seriously?
Repeated what Geno said to her. So really!

Reaction Score
Down 9 versus Texas in the FF with Time running out. Who did bring Uconn back to win the game by 2 pts? They call her Taurasi! That is how Legends are made!

With STewart how many times was there a need for a 2pt game? When she was a jr and sr hwow often did she allow her team to be down by 9? She should get an "atta boy" for being down by so much? :):)

I'm just havin' fun with ya! I love Dt I love Maya I love STewie.

Reaction Score
Of all the greats, only DT brought home the gold surrounded by a host of solid players, but still less than an allstar cast and she did it not once, but twice. In her other championship season, she was the go-to player in the crunchiest of crunch times as a soph, when she WAS surrounded by an allstar cast.

With that said what super teams did DT beat as a jr and sr?

Now with Stewie- in her frosh year she beat a ND team which imo far superior to Dt's opponents. While Stewie did have superior teammates; the all-americans of KML, Stef and Bria were unable to take down the Giant that was ND until they stepped aside and UCONN built their offense around their super-freshman. Stewie dominated so much that there was never even a need for a close game. It was the all-americans that just stepped aside.

Reaction Score
Kerry Bascomb. Without a doubt. She was the first at everything at UConn.

I think of Bascomb like I think of Chris Smith on the men's side. Their decision to play at Connecticut set the table for all the good that happened afterward. That's probably a different question though, which player had the biggest impact on UConn's success.

Kerry Bascom. Sigh. certainly Geno's first great player at UConn, but how soon they forget how to spell her name right.

Reaction Score
With that said what super teams did DT beat as a jr and sr?

Now with Stewie- in her frosh year she beat a ND team which imo far superior to Dt's opponents. While Stewie did have superior teammates; the all-americans of KML, Stef and Bria were unable to take down the Giant that was ND until they stepped aside and UCONN built their offense around their super-freshman. Stewie dominated so much that there was never even a need for a close game. It was the all-americans that just stepped aside.
The 'giant' that was ND??? The 'giant' that never won a single title??? The 'giant' that pulled out a handfull of miracle endings, including multiple OT games over a couple seasons against UCONN, some that were heavily influenced by the Flopping Irish ability to con officials, while others came down to last second prayers??? Real 'giants' win championships.

DT went two full seasons with a decent supporting cast, but nowhere near what surrounded Stewart for her entire career, yet still managed to hang the banner at the end of those years, while battling injuries, no less. Taking down that era's other 'giant' in the process. This included a title where the Huskies featured a grand total of ZERO seniors.

As great a player as Stewart and Maya were/are, nobody elevated the players that shared the court with her like Taurasi and that's what has made her the GOAT.

Reaction Score
The 'giant' that was ND??? The 'giant' that never won a single title??? The 'giant' that pulled out a handfull of miracle endings, including multiple OT games over a couple seasons against UCONN, some that were heavily influenced by the Flopping Irish ability to con officials, while others came down to last second prayers??? Real 'giants' win championships.

DT went two full seasons with a decent supporting cast, but nowhere near what surrounded Stewart for her entire career, yet still managed to hang the banner at the end of those years, while battling injuries, no less. Taking down that era's other 'giant' in the process. This included a title where the Huskies featured a grand total of ZERO seniors.

As great a player as Stewart and Maya were/are, nobody elevated the players that shared the court with her like Taurasi.

Yes ND was a Giant that year. Name any other team that beat UCONN three times in which UCONN had 3 other all-americans on the team? Was Geno that lousy of a coach that he gets beat three straight times (4 if you count the prior year)? How come his all-americans didn't step up? Not to mention ND that year 1st team all-amercian. Diggins went 3rd in the draft.. The next year 1st team all-american McBride went 3rd. The next year 1st team all-american Loyd went 1st. Within that they had their center go 9th. What team in 2003 or 2004 in the NCAA's had that type of firepower that DT beat? What super players did Tenn have? IMO Diggins, McBride and Loyd were all super. Not as great as UCONN's all-tiem great players but certainly ahead of what Tenn has during 2003 and 2004.

Further, imo you don't need to win a title to be considered a Giant. What you call "miracle" -- I call "wins" that they "consistently did vs UCONN. ANd while I agree they flopped -- they did what they had to to get wins. Which imo is why they won- competitive grit. "Do what it takes."

DT never had to compete anything near with what Stewart had to go against in her jr and sr years. The other Giant you speak- Tenn - their best player imo couldn't hold a candle to Diggins, or McBride or Loyd.

As I mentioned before I love Dt - I lvoe Maya. I love Stewie. But as we heard Muffett say being interviewed during the finals vs UCONN when Stewie picked up a couple of quick fouls she said d"Now we can go inside." I love Dt -- but no team would ever say they when she was on the court. Rather at times they would try to expose her. OFC that wasn't going to work. But still Muffett's comment said it all.

Reaction Score
With that said-- DT is the most gifted physical guard I've ever seen. Her power along with her amazing vision -- I don't think anyone sees the floor like her. I'm sure there are some pg's that are natural but because DT is such an offensive weapon - you can't play her to pass or shoot.

gifted. relentless. fearless. powerful. skilled.

Even in Hartford, she took it upon herself for a stretch to guard Alana Beard. I'l never forget the Texas game, the Tennessee game in Htfd, and her freshman swagger rumbling through / up to the final four.

Her ability to defensive rebound as a 2guard was just awesome.

Reaction Score
With STewart how many times was there a need for a 2pt game? When she was a jr and sr hwow often did she allow her team to be down by 9? She should get an "atta boy" for being down by so much? :):)

I'm just havin' fun with ya! I love Dt I love Maya I love STewie.
Stewie played with AAs every year. Dee didnt the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
hmmm-- so that means you think Lobo and Wolters were the worst posts in America because Geno said it? Or that Collier can't guard a chair? :):)
Wasnt she Regional MOP as a Freshmen.

Reaction Score
Yes ND was a Giant that year. Name any other team that beat UCONN three times in which UCONN had 3 other all-americans on the team? Was Geno that lousy of a coach that he gets beat three straight times (4 if you count the prior year)? How come his all-americans didn't step up? Not to mention ND that year 1st team all-amercian. Diggins went 3rd in the draft.. The next year 1st team all-american McBride went 3rd. The next year 1st team all-american Loyd went 1st. Within that they had their center go 9th. What team in 2003 or 2004 in the NCAA's had that type of firepower that DT beat? What super players did Tenn have? IMO Diggins, McBride and Loyd were all super. Not as great as UCONN's all-tiem great players but certainly ahead of what Tenn has during 2003 and 2004.

Further, imo you don't need to win a title to be considered a Giant. What you call "miracle" -- I call "wins" that they "consistently did vs UCONN. ANd while I agree they flopped -- they did what they had to to get wins. Which imo is why they won- competitive grit. "Do what it takes."

DT never had to compete anything near with what Stewart had to go against in her jr and sr years. The other Giant you speak- Tenn - their best player imo couldn't hold a candle to Diggins, or McBride or Loyd.

As I mentioned before I love Dt - I lvoe Maya. I love Stewie. But as we heard Muffett say being interviewed during the finals vs UCONN when Stewie picked up a couple of quick fouls she said d"Now we can go inside." I love Dt -- but no team would ever say they when she was on the court. Rather at times they would try to expose her. OFC that wasn't going to work. But still Muffett's comment said it all.
Pat Summit was happy to see Taurasi Graduate. Lost 7 of 8 games and last 2 for the NCs.

Reaction Score

You seem to forget that UCONN lost EDD, Walker and McCormick to transfer in that time frame. That left UCONN short in the frontcourt, especially in Maya's senior year. That is exactly when ND's little run of miracles went down.

When players leave a college team, you don't just lose that player, you lose the player(s) that would have signed had the player that transfered not signed and unlike a pro team, you can't simply fill the void with a trade. Had those transfers not gone down, UCONN would have done to ND what they routinely did to ND (and routinely do again) and nobody would have thought the Floppers were such a juggernaut. ND gained their limited fame adainst UCONN in that stretch thanks to the transfer of an all-timer and 2 other solid frontcourt performers along with their ability to con referees. Were they good??? Yeah, they were good. Were they great??? Not in my opinion. Great teams win championships. As tremendous as Stewie is, no way does she win 4 straight if her freshman team lost not 1, but 2 All-Americans to career ending injuries and she was surrounded by the same talent level Taurasi was in her final 2 years.

Obviously, everyone has their own opinion and that's exactly what they are, opinions. You have yours and I have mine. You put stock in Muffet's opinion. I'll put stock in Geno's, since as we've heard numerous times.......DT is the greatest player he's ever coached.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Isn't it nice to be able to root for a program with these kinds of choices. Where would a KaraWolters stand at most schools. She was only the National POY and can't crack our top 5, maybe 10.

Reaction Score
great discussion and it's like asking which of your children do you love most. you can love them differently, but you love them all. period.

In a very, very close call, obviously, for me the one I love watching the most (admittedly not the OP's question) is Maya. She is sheer elegance. She's the platonic ideal of what a basketball player should look and play like.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kerry Bascom. Sigh. certainly Geno's first great player at UConn, but how soon they forget how to spell her name right.
Mea culpa

Reaction Score
Bottom line, there are at least 3 players from this storied program that a compelling arguement can be made for the top slot. When you add that to the notion that UCONN's top 10+ players, also happen to rank in the upper echelon of WBB players period, that is quite an embarrassment of riches.

Reaction Score
Pat Summit was happy to see Taurasi Graduate. Lost 7 of 8 games and last 2 for the NCs.

The entire league that was competing for titles were happy to see DT graduate, weren't they? And the same with Maya and Stewie?

Reaction Score
You seem to forget that UCONN lost EDD, Walker and McCormick to transfer in that time frame. That left UCONN short in the frontcourt, especially in Maya's senior year. That is exactly when ND's little run of miracles went down.

When players leave a college team, you don't just lose that player, you lose the player(s) that would have signed had the player that transfered not signed and unlike a pro team, you can't simply fill the void with a trade. Had those transfers not gone down, UCONN would have done to ND what they routinely did to ND (and routinely do again) and nobody would have thought the Floppers were such a juggernaut. ND gained their limited fame adainst UCONN in that stretch thanks to the transfer of an all-timer and 2 other solid frontcourt performers along with their ability to con referees. Were they good??? Yeah, they were good. Were they great??? Not in my opinion. Great teams win championships. As tremendous as Stewie is, no way does she win 4 straight if her freshman team lost not 1, but 2 All-Americans to career ending injuries and she was surrounded by the same talent level Taurasi was in her final 2 years.

Obviously, everyone has their own opinion and that's exactly what they are, opinions. You have yours and I have mine. You put stock in Muffet's opinion. I'll put stock in Geno's, since as we've heard numerous times..DT is the greatest player he's ever coached.

They only beat UCONN's Maya once. I'm referring to them beating Dolson, KML and Hartley three straight times. ND beat a team with three all-Americans coached by Geno - beat them three consecutive times. Two times at UCONN.

I don't get your "what if point" about EDD. ND beat UCONN's three all-Americans. I don't understand why you bring up:"what if" when it comes to EDD. UCONN had three all-American caliber players when they went at it with ND in Stewie's frosh year. How many more all-American caliber players did UCONN need in order to win just 1 game out of 3?

Further UCONN won the championship the year we had the three all-American caliber players in Dolson, KML and Hartley. Once Geno turned the offense over to the freshman Stewart instead of the other three all-American caliber players that couldn't get it done, UCONN won. In other words, Stewart raised herself above all the all-Americans on her team and ofc the great player in Diggins.

And I don't agree with "only great teams win championships." Though I do agree with anyone that would say in order to be the greatest you have to at least win a title. And ofc I believe you can’t be defeated to be the best. Anyhow when you mention Geno quote he said DT was best—he also included the 00-01 team amongst his great teams I believe. Yet they didn’t win it all. We don’t agree they belong, correct? And I through Lakers and Celts teams of the 80's were great. One had to lose.

As for DT-- I'd be interested to hear Geno's entire comment on DT and when he said it. I do remember after the 2002 season Geno was asked which of his teams he thought greater the 1995 team or 2002 and he either backed off or leaned toward the 1995 team at the time because of the height. I think most of us would think 01-02 is better. So how much stock are you going to put on his comment when I easily reference other things that we don’t agree with Geno on. He has personal relationships with all these players which may factor in.

As far as Stewie not winning without the two all-Americans – I agree and also disagree. But disagree with using the 00-01 as any relevant factor. That team lost two “wing-type” players. DT could play the positions – obviously DT and Stewie play different positions. DT is a natural wing so she could fill the void. The team was built differently. Now instead if you give Stewie an elite pg such as a junior in MoJeff (to offset the luxury Dt had playing with Bird), then give Stewie Kelly Schumacher, then give her three wing caliber players that are upperclassmen at the talent level of Swin, Jones and Tamika—then yes yes yes absolutely Stewie would go to the ff with that type of team and talent in her frosh year as great as she was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom