Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player? - Poll | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player? - Poll

Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player?

• Breanna Stewart

• Diana Taurasi

• Sue Bird

• Rebecca Lobo

• Maya Moore

• Jen Rizzotti

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
My enthusiasm for DT will never die (until I do). To me no one has ever surpassed her in any aspect of the game - especially swagger. She's a big time player and a game changer.
The only area she is even close to either Maya or Breanna is swagger. Her excessive swagger means virtually nothing to me and many others and it actually bothered me a great deal. The greatest running back of all time (with the possible exception of Jimmy Brown) was Barry Sanders (who didn't have a decent quarterback, a decent passing offense, was undersized and still totally amazing, averaging 5.4 yards per attempt which is the best for anyone who has run for 10,000 career yards. He was always the focus of every defense, yet never showboated, never spiked the ball, never did anything but play at a level that defies description. Maya was cut out of the same cloth and just excelled, in every facet of the game. GOAT!

Reaction Score
Down 9 versus Texas in the FF with Time running out. Who did bring Uconn back to win the game by 2 pts? They call her Taurasi! That is how Legends are made!
You are so wrong. The hero of that game was Wilnett Crockett who turned the tide late in the game. I like the way you somehow injected Taurasi who was pretty good but not even close to being the heroine of that game. Crockett saved us that game, not DT.

Reaction Score
DT played in the tough BIG EAST... and against Tennessee
They lost more than a few games in her junior and senior year and I personally think that the level of competition she played against in those years wasn't exceptionally high. Beating Tennessee in the final four had a lot more to do with Geno outcoaching Pat than it did DT. I actually think that the confidence that Maria Conlon played with was infectious and the teams composure was more important than DT's contribution. Their strength of will was so important to those titles.

Reaction Score
The only area she is even close to either Maya or Breanna is swagger. Her excessive swagger means virtually nothing to me and many others and it actually bothered me a great deal. The greatest running back of all time (with the possible exception of Jimmy Brown) was Barry Sanders (who didn't have a decent quarterback, a decent passing offense, was undersized and still totally amazing, averaging 5.4 yards per attempt which is the best for anyone who has run for 10,000 career yards. He was always the focus of every defense, yet never showboated, never spiked the ball, never did anything but play at a level that defies description. Maya was cut out of the same cloth and just excelled, in every facet of the game. GOAT!
The greatest running back of all time (with the possible exception of Jimmy Brown) was OJ Simpson, regardless of how you feel about his demeanor or off-the-field activities. The greatest UConn WBB player of all time was/is Diana Taurasi - confirmed once again by her overwhelming win in this poll - regardless of how you feel about her demeanor.

Reaction Score
They lost more than a few games in her junior and senior year and I personally think that the level of competition she played against in those years wasn't exceptionally high. Beating Tennessee in the final four had a lot more to do with (1) Geno outcoaching Pat than it did DT. I actually think that (2) the confidence that Maria Conlon played with was infectious and the teams composure was more important than DT's contribution. Their strength of will was so important to those titles.
(1) Regarding "Geno outcoaching Pat": Geno's byline in those years was, "We have Diana and you don't."

(2) Maria Conlon's confidence WAS infectious - she was infected by Diana Taurasi. Where, exactly, do you think that team got its "strength of will"? (DT: "This is gonna be the ugliest undefeated season ever.")

Reaction Score
Focusing on Jr/Sr years here, when they were out and out leaders.

Maya and Stewie played with girls who are in the conversation for Best Ever at UCONN.

Maya played with girls (jr sr years) who were drafted 1, 11, 13, 14 etc in more loaded drafts. Possibly the best center UCONN's had (Charles). Top caliber guard/wings (Hayes/Greene). One of the all time swiss army knifes, the perfect Auriemma player (Faris). Even two young kids who would become 1st team AAs (Briah/Stef). I mean, the overall talent disparity was massive.

Stewie played 4 years with a girl who is in the conversation with Sue Bird for best PG ever to play at UCONN (Jefferson). DT played with Maria Conlon. Nice kid, steady, good 3pt shot, but nobodies putting her on an All Conference team (iirc), never mind All American. And, as a lesser player, D was a huge part of her success. Stewie had a 1st team AA all time 3pt shooter (KML).

If you put D's crew up against any team (sans D, Stewie, Maya) in the last 8 years or so, they'd get absolutely smoked. Of the players on DT's Jr/Sr year teams, how many would start on Stewie's or Maya's teams? Damn near none. J Moore on Maya's Sr year team. Maybe Soph Strother on one of those teams.

Add in the fact that D's teams were pretty damn young too (esp Jr year). Can't be overstated. People were shocked they won the title her Jr year. And not many thought they'd repeat.

Note: I'm NOT knocking what Stewie did. Stewie's very close to DT in UCONN history for me. I put an enormous weight on 4 straight Championships. Mind you, that All UCONN PG mentioned earlier also has 4. So it's not the delineating factor.
If you look at the competition that DT played against, they weren't great. I think people minimize the mental toughness that Maria Conlon eventually had as well as other players on that team. They were quite efficient both offensively and defensively and played against teams that were not. How many people here know how much talent Tennessee habitually had but they didn't play cohesively and never developed as a rounded team. Meanwhile, Tiffany Hayes was a very talented but very inconsistent player, who was brilliant one moment and then disappeared at others or made some bonehead plays. You do know that the level of talent in women's basketball is getting better continually, right? You people that talk up DT realize that she was prone to making a lot of bonehead plays by forcing things or is your selective memory activated? I enjoyed DT with the exception of those times when she got full of herself and her arrogance took over. She is no better than number 3 on the list of best of all time. Maya, Breanna and then, MAYBE DT. I'd actually like watching Sue more and she always made players around her much better.

Reaction Score
(1) Regarding "Geno outcoaching Pat": Geno's byline in those years was, "We have Diana and you don't."

(2) Maria Conlon's confidence WAS infectious - she was infected by Diana Taurasi. Where, exactly, do you think that team got its "strength of will"? (DT: "This is gonna be the ugliest undefeated season ever.")
I don't agree at all. Maria Conlon was an afterthought until she got an opportunity to play and then gained confidence through her ability to produce. Her court savvy and confidence trumped her limited speed and quickness and the staff was quick to let her know how important she was to the team. Why isn't Diana's strength of will enhancing her WNBA team more than it is? You are doing a disservice to Maria and the rest of that team to suggest that they only played good fundamental basketball and showed poise because of DT. I think the fact that they had a team of good, solid players rather than All-American potential players might have actually been a positive. The team played at an optimum level where some teams don't seem to develop the right chemistry. Another factor to their title runs was matchup situations. Can you say that had Maya been on those two teams rather than DT, that they would NOT have won those championships? No way. As mentioned, the talent level wasn't what it was 8 years later and one of the few loaded teams was a Tennessee team that almost perennially never plays to their potential.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Why does there have to be ONE (regardless of this being a poll about one)?

Each brought different things to the team. If you just take Stewie away and replace her with Diana or Maya, I don't think you have a team that's as good. Same for all the permutations.

Reaction Score
I can't believe some people are losing their cool over whether DT or Maya or Stewie is the GOAT of UCONN WBB!
It's like trying to choose which NY Yankee team was the greatest ever. 1927 or 1961 or 1998!
Since Geno & CD arrived UCONN fans have been blessed with outstanding BB talent and also wonderful human beings!
The only thing Geno has said on this subject is that Diana Taurasi is the greatest WINNER in the history of WBB!
We have had so many talented players that have at one time or another have put themselves in the discussion, but it's like discussing my NYY comparison above fans cannot discuss comparing any of those because they were different eras and different challenges faced each 1927, 1961, or 1998! Same as UCONN since 1995!
And we will be blessed again that a huge amount of UCONN alumni will be entering the WBB Hall of Fame in Knoxville, TN and/or the BB Hall of Fame in Springfield, MA when their marvelous careers are over!
Mellow out and be thankful!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

well said... I dont know what he was talking about

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't agree at all. Maria Conlon was an afterthought until she got an opportunity to play and then gained confidence through her ability to produce. Her court savvy and confidence trumped her limited speed and quickness and the staff was quick to let her know how important she was to the team. Why isn't Diana's strength of will enhancing her WNBA team more than it is? You are doing a disservice to Maria and the rest of that team to suggest that they only played good fundamental basketball and showed poise because of DT. I think the fact that they had a team of good, solid players rather than All-American potential players might have actually been a positive. The team played at an optimum level where some teams don't seem to develop the right chemistry. Another factor to their title runs was matchup situations. Can you say that had Maya been on those two teams rather than DT, that they would NOT have won those championships? No way. As mentioned, the talent level wasn't what it was 8 years later and one of the few loaded teams was a Tennessee team that almost perennially never plays to their potential.
DT is on the back end of her WNBA career... also the other players earn money, some older, from other schools, have other interest (not focused). Why isnt Stewie or Mo Jeff team setting the WNBA on fire after 4 championships... what goes on in college doesnt always transfer to the W (KML).

Take DT away from the 2004 and you think MC would be poised enough to win the championship? You're doing a disservice to Taurasi

Reaction Score
DT is on the back end of her WNBA career... also the other players earn money, some older, from other schools, have other interest (not focused). Why isnt Stewie or Mo Jeff team setting the WNBA on fire after 4 championships... what goes on in college doesnt always transfer to the W (KML).

Take DT away from the 2004 and you think MC would be poised enough to win the championship? You're doing a disservice to Taurasi

Reaction Score
They lost more than a few games in her junior and senior year and I personally think that the level of competition she played against in those years wasn't exceptionally high. Beating Tennessee in the final four had a lot more to do with Geno outcoaching Pat than it did DT. I actually think that the confidence that Maria Conlon played with was infectious and the teams composure was more important than DT's contribution. Their strength of will was so important to those titles.
Diana made her teammates better and no way Conlin plays like that without her! Uconn had 1 loss in 2003 to Villanova in BE Championship Game. Diana had 28pts against Tennessee in NC game.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
An outsider perspective here (and apologies if this is not my place to weigh in)...

I voted for Diana Taurasi as the UConn GOAT. Taurasi played on a team that was so utterly dominant in 2002 that four players were taken in the top six of the 2002 WNBA Draft. But those players graduated, and she took a team of freshmen (albeit very talented) and role players (Conlon, Valleys, Moore) to the title. Then, the next year, while Duke was loaded, while Tennessee had great players, while Texas was still a force, etc., Taurasi led them to the title.

For me, it was difficult to pick Stewart because of the constant presence of Jefferson and Tuck. Moriah is one of the two best PGs in UConn history; to me, that would be like Taurasi playing with Bird for four years. Stewart also had Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley for a few years, who, to me, where more accomplished than Barbara Turner and Ann Strother (in terms of what they did in college and what they went on to do after college), who were with Taurasi.

Another factor to me...if the game is tied, who is going to create and take the final shot? To me, Taurasi is one of the greatest shot creators in the history of the game.

NOW, for me the BIGGEST game-changer was the 2011 Final Four. Maya Moore had played three years with Tina Charles. Had Moore led the Huskies to the 2011 national title, I would have voted for Maya, only because she would have distinguished herself as winning a title without Charles. Maya is an amazing shot creator and a truly elite defender. That also would have given Moore three rings.

BUT let's be honest here...Moore, Stewart, and Taurasi are TITANS of the women's game. If you look at any list of BEST EVER players, all three are on it. UConn fans are very lucky to have such an embarrassment of riches that they can argue among these three as to who is the best ever player -- not just in the history of UConn, but in the history of the game. No other school can say this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom