Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player? - Poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player? - Poll

Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player?

• Breanna Stewart

• Diana Taurasi

• Sue Bird

• Rebecca Lobo

• Maya Moore

• Jen Rizzotti

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
To me greatest of all time means they are still great now.

This is an interesting qualification for being the greatest of all-time. So, Rebecca couldn't be considered the greatest center at UConn because she hasn't played in 22 years? And Tina couldn't either since she hasn't played in 7?

Cynthia Cooper, Lisa Leslie, and Cheryl Miller aren't in the conversation for greatest of all time because they've been retired for a while?

I don't think I understand the rationale here.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting qualification for being the greatest of all-time. So, Rebecca couldn't be considered the greatest center at UConn because she hasn't played in 22 years? And Tina couldn't either since she hasn't played in 7?

Cynthia Cooper, Lisa Leslie, and Cheryl Miller aren't in the conversation for greatest of all time because they've been retired for a while?

I don't think I understand the rationale here.

You mean Rebecca lobo who has 0% in the poll and tina charles who isn't even listed in the poll?
They were both good players but sorry they are not in the top 5 greatest huskies IMO. The other 3 you listed didn't even play for uconn. For the record i'd take maya over anyone thats ever played wbb. If you notice there's 4 names on the poll that are still playing and only one of them will be winning the wnba championship, can you guess which one?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
You mean Rebecca lobo who has 0% in the poll and tina charles who isn't even listed in the poll?
They were both good players but sorry they are not in the top 5 greatest huskies IMO. The other 3 you listed didn't even play for UConn. For the record i'd take maya over anyone thats ever played wbb. If you notice there's 4 names on the poll that are still playing and only one of them will be winning the wnba championship, can you guess which one?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I fully understand what the OP has asked. What I don't understand is your qualification for consideration.

When you go about considering GOAT of anything, UConn women's player, best women's player regardless of school affinity, best center at UConn, best NBA center, or anything else, you believe they must be "still great now"?

I'm not sure what current status has to do when examining a body of work in terms of all-time greatness. Could you explain the relation please?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I also choose DT. Remember without Shea and Svetlana being injured in DT's freshman year, she also would have won 4 NC.

So you are saying that if DT had two more great players on her team (besides the 4 that played) she would have won. I don't see how that helps your case.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Both Diana and Stewie faced Notre Dame in the Final Four semis as freshman. UConn needed both to "meet the moment" in order to win. One did and the other didn't. I say that not as a criticism of Diana; it was a lot (clearly too much) to put on a freshman. What Stewart was able to do as a freshman -- from playing 7 minutes against Baylor to winning FF MVP -- was remarkable. What Diana did as a junior and senior was also remarkable. Tough call. I settled it by voting for Maya.

Reaction Score
To me the poll was for their years at UConn; otherwise, I would pick Maya. Breanna still has a long career ahead of her.

Reaction Score
I chose Stewie. Not as much "because she won 4" while DT won 3 while Maya won 2. I went with her because I thought she had the greatest impact because of her defense.

All I had to hear one time from Muffett and I believe it was in the finals when Stewie was hurt, she said "NOW we can start going inside." And that was brought to home when I recall one of ND's players had a wide open layup in a game while Stewie was in and she threw up an airball. IMO Stewie made everyone better at the defensive end because she could cover so well off the ball.

As for offense, you had to collapse your defense to defend Stewie which meant many times she was indirectly responsible for wide open looks just by her presence. Though to a degree so was DT and Maya. I just think Stewie was more.

I understand any vote for DT or Maya too.

Reaction Score
I don't if anyone's mentioned this in this thread but the thing many people forget about DT3 is that were it not for injuries to Shea and Sveta during her Frosh year, she would be a 4-time NCAA Champ as well. Those last two teams she took to Championships were all on her. She's not only the GOAT at Connecticut but period!!

I thought UCONN could have handled ND the 3rd time if they were healthy that year. I was never a huge Sveta fan but I thought she turned the corner during her sr year and started to be incredible. When she went down then Shea went down and we still beat ND once- I think 2001 would have won. But for me -- "number of titles" doesn't do it for me. There has to be more. Otherwise why not say Sam Jones was better than Jordan and LeBron? OR DWade greater than West or Oscar?

I don't think ND could have stopped Seveta. They sat in a zone and were big. We would have attacked with the dribble drive. We beat them without two of our a/a's later in the year after the beat us MUCH earlier.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But for me -- "number of titles" doesn't do it for me. There has to be more. Otherwise why not say Sam Jones was better than Jordan and LeBron?
Are you saying that Stewie didn't have this "more" of which you speak?

Reaction Score
Overall DT first.
WCBB only, Breanna hands down; came here to win four NCs and made it stand up.
OTOH, Maya was more talented than either of them.
So, in conclusion, I don't have a clue.Head bang

Reaction Score
Are you saying that Stewie didn't have this "more" of which you speak?

Huh?

I said my vote went to Stewie. And I just thought Stewie was "more." I just don't use 4 titles vs 3 vs 2 that much. If you want to get "deep" - maybe if she hadn't won 4 titles I would have picked on a flaw more and with 4 titles it is hard to pick on a flaw. Or appreciate her defense in the manner I do etc.

Reaction Score
My enthusiasm for DT will never die (until I do). To me no one has ever surpassed her in any aspect of the game - especially swagger. She's a big time player and a game changer.

Reaction Score
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I fully understand what the OP has asked. What I don't understand is your qualification for consideration.

When you go about considering GOAT of anything, UConn women's player, best women's player regardless of school affinity, best center at UConn, best NBA center, or anything else, you believe they must be "still great now"?

I'm not sure what current status has to do when examining a body of work in terms of all-time greatness. Could you explain the relation please?

George Washington--therefore cannot be considered for GOAT of founding fathers--or any of them??
Or Ruth, Gerhig, Robinson, Mantle, Mays ?
Then change the title to Greats of Now Times GONT

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thanks to everyone who voted. I'd like to revisit this in a few years and see if people's votes drift toward Maya or Stewie a bit more.

CL82

Reaction Score
If so, they're wrong.
I went with Stewie, reluctantly. I think you can make a good case for her based upon her 4 years success in Storrs.

If 5 years from now she is winning championships, getting MOPs and breaking records, I suspect that it will influence people to rethink her UConn years and her ranking. Likewise, Maya is on pace to past Diana. If she does it, I'd guess people will rank her CT years higher. I agree that should matter, but human nature being what it is, it likely will.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I went with Stewie, reluctantly. I think you can make a good case for her based upon her 4 years success in Storrs.

If 5 years from now she is winning championships, getting MOPs and breaking records, I suspect that it will influence people to rethink her UConn years and her ranking. Likewise, Maya is on pace to past Diana. If she does it, I'd guess people will rank her CT years higher. I agree that should matter, but human nature being what it is, it likely will.

Oh I know. I put an enormous weight on who DT won her last two Championships with. That was Herculean. And I don't think either of the other two girls would have brought home the hardware twice. Maybe once, but not twice.

And this is my overarching metric: if my life is on the line, and I need one player to have a huge game, or make a huge shot, who am I taking. DT 100 out of 100.

Same way if I need one drive in football. It's Brady every single time for me, no questions asked.

Reaction Score
Diana dominated with 55% of the votes even though some voters were not fans when she played at UConn and didn't see her play in college. If we redo the poll enough years in the future, then everyone who did see Diana play will be dead. At that point Maya and Stewie may have a chance.

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh I know. I put an enormous weight on who DT won her last two Championships with. That was Herculean. And I don't think either of the other two girls would have brought home the hardware twice. Maybe once, but not twice.

And this is my overarching metric: if my life is on the line, and I need one player to have a huge game, or make a huge shot, who am I taking. DT 100 out of 100.

Same way if I need one drive in football. It's Brady every single time for me, no questions asked.
I don't disagree with a word of this. Not a word. Still, I went with Stewie. Four natties and four MOPs is a winning hand.

CL82

Reaction Score
Diana dominated with 55% of the votes even though some voters were not fans when she played at UConn and didn't see her play in college. If we redo the poll enough years in the future, then everyone who did see Diana play will be dead. At that point Maya and Stewie may have a chance.
Well I am planning to be around say 5 years from now and I hope the rest of you all are around to debate it with me!

Reaction Score
This was a spot where D struggled terribly. Her first FF ended with her fouling out after shooting 1 for 15 and 0 for 13 from 3.
They dont get there without Diana! Imo Taurasi plays for Stewie or Maya team they still wins those NCs. But they dont win playing for her in 03 and 04.

Reaction Score
Really an impossible question because you could make a case for any one of five or so wonderful players. I chose DT, reluctantly, but could have easily chosen any of the other breakthrough players -- Maya, Stewie or Lobo. To me, if you want to be chosen as greatest, you not only have to be spectacular and put up great numbes, y0ou have to be a breakthrough type. Lobo was, I believe, the first of her kind, as were Diana, Maya and Breanna. I loved Rizottti and Bird, and they were spectacular at their positions, but at the end of the day, they were superlative guards, not breakthrough players.
She didnt win a NC but as a 6ft 1in post she dominated as the first iconic Uconn player!

Reaction Score

After DT it would be Kerry Bascom before Moore or Stewart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom