Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player? - Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player? - Poll

Who is the GOAT UConn woman's basketball player?

• Breanna Stewart

• Diana Taurasi

• Sue Bird

• Rebecca Lobo

• Maya Moore

• Jen Rizzotti

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Jus

Just watched Geno vs M. Pattyson interview on 2008 CPTv---after just playing the Sue/DT USA team--he said you have to have good guards to be a good team--and USA has 3 of them.
He spoke of Charles guarding Leslie--they were both going for the rebound and Leslie got it---apparently Charles didn't chase her down the floor -at least not to the basket--and Leslie laid it in.
Geno was miffed (maybe more so) and said he sat Charles--then spoke at length about you have to be competitive. Spoke highly of Maya and Mel-- Going along with your need for experienced guard play--apparently Geno would agree.
I was probably the lone UConn fan holdout on Jessica Moore--I was not a fan of her attitude--but she surprised me as a Pro.

t
I think fans often overlook experience in favor of 'talent' and certainly great players can play above (or overcome) their experience. The only time I saw Maya show inexperience was her first run with the NT - she had not shown it as a collegian nor did she as a pro.

But the NCAA and especially the FF can be a struggle for inexperienced college players - what made Stewart as a freshman so surprising especially after her regular season. And I take my hat off to Turner, Strother, and Crockett as well, and Sales in their freshman years - Sales specifically covering up for her upperclassmen's struggles in the first half of the final.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd go with Stewart if you're analyzing college career....3x POY as the centerpiece of 3 of the most dominant teams of all time. Her freshman year was choppy until she hit her stride and cruised in the NCAAs. Her senior year she was as polished and dominant as anyone I've seen play collegiately. She also was a one woman wrecking crew defensively and offensively was unstoppable from anywhere. She never had to put a team on her back like DT/Maya, but her results and resume are unmatched by anyone in NCAA history. 4x champion, 3x NCAA POY, 2 undefeated seasons and 4x Final Four MOP (even though it probably should be 3 with Jefferson getting robbed in 2015).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I find it amazing the DT is leading Maya by 39 -15 (stewie at 19). I think DT and Maya's cases are so close that I expected a virtual tie. :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I find it amazing the DT is leading Maya by 39 -15 (stewie at 19). I think DT and Maya's cases are so close that I expected a virtual tie. :rolleyes:
I expected a horse race between Diana and Stewart. I also thought Lobo would get some votes.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
My favorite UConn player(s) are Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore, but since you can only vote for one person...I voted for Dee. Dee is an amazing player, she play the game with heart and passion. Dee wear multiple hats on the court, she is the floor general, coach, sister and referee. I have loved Dee as a player from day 1. I know people say that Dee has a short fuel, but I say she is passionate about the game. I have watched Dee take more than one team, and put them on her back. Dee hasn't really had a supporting cast, and she is ok with that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Despite what others say, there is no easy answer for me. At least 3 players are at the top of the list and are garnering votes. There are a few others who might deserve consideration.

Nykesha Sales was the missing piece as a freshman to get the team over the hump to its first undefeated national championship season. She set the career scoring record and would have blown it away if not for her injury. She also set the career steals record, which still stands.

Moriah Jefferson would have been the NPOY in a normal, non-Stewie year--perhaps twice. She matches Stewie's 4 NCs, though she was not so instrumental in the first one. She was a 2-time Lieberman Award winner, matching Diana and Skylar. She was also the DPOY, matching Stef, Gabby, et. al. I'm not sure if anyone else was the Lieberman winner and DPOY. MoJeff was a one-player wrecking crew.

Sue Bird lost only 4 games at UConn. Of course, her team lost several games when she was out as an injured freshman. She remains the only 3-time Lieberman Award winner. She was NPOY and the #1 pick. She was the floor general on arguably the best team ever.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I used to pick Maya for polls like this. Greatest scorer, two titles, 4-year All-American, 3-year NPOY. Plus, beyond scoring, the rest of her stats are amazing, too. And a great shooter. She filled stat sheets like no one else.

Maya was a joy to watch, too. She worked hard and appeared to LOVE working hard. That finger roll when finishing a lay up! YES! But those are reasons why she is my favorite player and not reasons why she is the GOAT.

I don't hold not winning a NC her senior year against her. She scored 36.

But, I have changed my mind to Stewie.

Stewie, on a per-minute basis, which is perhaps the fairest way to evaluate players, is close to Maya in a lot of categories and surpasses her in others (both are well ahead of D in everything but assists but both are pretty close). If Maya were a few inches taller and had Stewie's arms, you know she'd do what Stewie and maybe more, but Stewie had Stewie's arms :) And with those arms and her height, she was able to do things that Maya couldn't. Stewie anchored the team's defense in a way that Maya couldn't, although Maya had a LOT of blocked shots for her height. Both played great positional defense but Stewie also allowed for her teammates to play more aggressively on defense because she was also able to guard the rim.

On offense, she was a nightmare for other teams. Not that Maya wasn't but who do you put on Stewie? A center? Sure, that was a match-up in terms of height, which makes sense. Stewie could still post up the center and pass out of double-teams but she could also pull the center outside, opening a lane for her teammates or herself. Put a forward on her and she would either score inside or just shoot over her.

Stewie, Maya, and D (and Tina and Rebecca and Mo and Sue and ... ) are all phenomenal. I have great memories of all of them. D hitting that bomb 3 against Tennessee. Maya dropping 40 against Syracuse. Stewie and baseline-to-baseline block.

(See, it's not always about stats with me :) )

Wally East

Reaction Score
But the NCAA and especially the FF can be a struggle for inexperienced college players - what made Stewart as a freshman so surprising especially after her regular season. And I take my hat off to Turner, Strother, and Crockett as well, and Sales in their freshman years - Sales specifically covering up for her upperclassmen's struggles in the first half of the final.

This was a spot where D struggled terribly. Her first FF ended with her fouling out after shooting 1 for 15 and 0 for 13 from 3.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Two things.

1. Play hard. Play smart. Have fun.
The UConn WCBB mantra applies to the three major contenders, but I think each player was the GOAT for a different one. Moore played harder than anyone else; Taurasi played smarter; Stewart had the most fun. This doesn't settle the matter for me, rather it complicates what would be my choice further.

2. I don't think losing the NC as a freshmen should be held against Taurasi. Taurasi's forte was leadership, but that clearly was Bird's team to lead; Bird, the player whose fault it was if anything went wrong (so said Auriemma). In retrospect we learned there were chemistry issues on that team (though they played better after the roster shrunk via injury); given Taurasi's nature and strengths I don't think she could have fixed that as a freshmen, she may even have been an unwitting cause. I do think a freshman Moore could have fixed it. Because of the different intangible Moore brought to the table I think the team would have performed better in the semi-final game than with Taurasi, not just in that game they lost but for the whole year that team probably would have had better chemistry with Moore rather than Taurasi.

Yet I also think a senior Taurasi would have led Moore's senior team to a championship. She would have rallied and instructed her younger teammates to do what they needed to do, to do more than what they thought they could, much better than could Moore.

I don't think either the freshman Stewart or Taurasi could have won where the freshman Moore failed, so that's a wash. Yet, while I'm not certain, I think the freshman Stewart would have at least done better than the freshman Taurasi in that situation, not for the whole season but for that one tense game, and the senior Stewart might very well have done better than the senior Moore at keeping her teammates in the game to win that one. I guess I just talked myself into voting for Stewart, though up until writing this sentence that was not the case.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Two things.

1. Play hard. Play smart. Have fun.
The UConn WCBB mantra applies to the three major contenders, but I think each player was the GOAT for a different one. Moore played harder than anyone else; Taurasi played smarter; Stewart had the most fun. This doesn't settle the matter for me, rather it complicates what would be my choice further.

2. I don't think losing the NC as a freshmen should be held against Taurasi. Taurasi's forte was leadership, but that clearly was Bird's team to lead; Bird, the player whose fault it was if anything went wrong (so said Auriemma). In retrospect we learned there were chemistry issues on that team (though they played better after the roster shrunk via injury); given Taurasi's nature and strengths I don't think she could have fixed that as a freshmen, she may even have been an unwitting cause. I do think a freshman Moore could have fixed it. Because of the different intangible Moore brought to the table I think the team would have performed better in the semi-final game than with Taurasi, not just in that game they lost but for the whole year that team probably would have had better chemistry with Moore rather than Taurasi.

Yet I also think a senior Taurasi would have led Moore's senior team to a championship. She would have rallied and instructed her younger teammates to do what they needed to do, to do more than what they thought they could, much better than could Moore.

I don't think either the freshman Stewart or Taurasi could have won where the freshman Moore failed, so that's a wash. Yet, while I'm not certain, I think the freshman Stewart would have at least done better than the freshman Taurasi in that situation, not for the whole season but for that one tense game, and the senior Stewart might very well have done better than the senior Moore at keeping her teammates in the game to win that one. I guess I just talked myself into voting for Stewart, though up until writing this sentence that was not the case.
Interesting approach, Digger!

Wally East

Reaction Score
. I guess I just talked myself into voting for Stewart, though up until writing this sentence that was not the case.

Great response and way to be open-minded :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just another thought on this question and one that supports those who chose Maya - legacy. I think you can trace Hartley and Dolson's two championships to their freshman season and the example/training Maya gave them. We'll see how Stewart's legacy plays out though early returns are pretty good and it is sort of nebulous in the same way that Bascom or Lobo's effect on the program can be used as a justification for their candidacy - and it is dependent on recruiting in years after they are gone, but just a thought.
UConn players have played hard since Geno arrived, but I think that Maya may have upped the level. After Maya left, Geno asked at an early practice who would replace Maya in terms of leading them in practice and demonstrating the energy and effort that everyone would emulate. Not only did he get no takers, he got no eye contact. That group included Tiffany Hayes, Kelly Faris, Stef Dolson, and Bria Hartley, no group of slouches. Kelly's work ethic was passed to Kaleena and Moriah. Moriah passed it to Gabby and Kia. They have passed it to Lou and Pheesa. Azura, Batouly, Crystal, and the freshmen are the next recipients.

It's one thing to measure someone's career based on the high points. The 4 championships garnered by Stewie, Mo, and Morgan trump the 3 by Diana and the 2 by Maya, Sue, Tina, et al. It's another to look at consistency and the low points. I can't find the stat, but I think Maya scored in double-digits about 150 times. I don't think anyone else is close. Diana had a really bad game against Notre Dame in the Final Four. She also struggled against Notre Dame several times (fortunately, Barb Turner was an Irish Killer). To her credit, Diana starred against arch-rival Tennessee. Stewie had a 0-point effort against Baylor as a freshman and was benched her junior year. Maya's worst games were more like mediocre performances and not absolute stinkers. I think Maya was our most consistent player over a full career--and consistently at a very high level.

Maya had the highest scoring average of 19.7, besting Kerry by 1.6 ppg. Her point total surpasses Stewie's by 370, Tina's (the prior record holder) by 690, and Diana's by 880. Maya is also among the leaders in 3-pointers made, 3-point percentage, free throw percentage, rebounds, rebound average, assists, steals, and blocks. No one else has the range of stats that Maya has.

Diana and Stewie were Regional MOPs 3 times. Maya was a Regional MOP 4 times. Maya was a Final Four All-Tournament team member 3 times. Diana was only twice. Stewie was 4 times, of course.

Maya shattered Rebecca's record for number of weeks chosen as the Big East FOW. Rebekkah Brunson won the Big East FOY in Diana's first year. Maya finished 2, 1, 2, 1 in the AP POY voting. Only Candace Parker and Tina Charles edged her out, and both are superstars. No one else has done that well in the POY voting, not even close.

Durability is a factor too. Mo played in 155 games and missed 1. Stewie played in 152 and missed 4. Maya played in 154 and missed 0. Diana played in 144 and missed a handful. Maya Moore is the Lou Gehrig of WCBB.

Wally East

Reaction Score
I chose Maya. 4-time consensus All-American. 150-4, and every loss was an anomaly.

[...]

Maya never missed a collegiate game and was instrumental in most of the 150 wins. She never lost in the State of Connecticut.

If you buy into team record being part of a player's resume, then this is an important point. Maya's teams had no "bad" losses. On the road at Rutgers and at Stanford and then in FF against Stanford and ND.

The same can be said for Stewie. Four losses her freshman season, 3 to ND and 1 to Baylor. And then the loss on the road to Stanford in OT over her last three seasons.

D? Not as much. 2 to ND and 1 to Tennessee her freshman season, undefeated sophomore season, loss to Villanova as a junior, and then Duke at home, ND on the road, Villanova on the road, and Boston College in the BET. That's a lot of losses for someone some claim to be the greatest winner :p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If you buy into team record being part of a player's resume, then this is an important point. Maya's teams had no "bad" losses. On the road at Rutgers and at Stanford and then in FF against Stanford and ND.

The same can be said for Stewie. Four losses her freshman season, 3 to ND and 1 to Baylor. And then the loss on the road to Stanford in OT over her last three seasons.

D? Not as much. 2 to ND and 1 to Tennessee her freshman season, undefeated sophomore season, loss to Villanova as a junior, and then Duke at home, ND on the road, Villanova on the road, and Boston College in the BET. That's a lot of losses for someone some claim to be the greatest winner :p
In my mind, the Villanova and B.C. losses hurt Diana's resume. During her senior year, Geno needled Diana by telling her that Sue had won 4 Big East championships and the best that Dee could do was 3. As it turned out, Dee won only 2. Stewie won 3 conference championships. Maya won 4.

Diana played hurt part of her senior year, because she was mugged regularly. That probably explains some of the 4 losses. Maya was sick or hurt in 3 of her 4 losses. Geno and Tiffany were very sick in one of them.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Three points.

Milford essentially favors a maximin criteria, that Moore's worst is better than anyone else's worst. I agree with that, and agree that it's a legitimate criteria to use. Moore came in as a freshman with the most college ready physique and conditioning of any player, not just the GOAT candidates, so right there her worst was going to be better than any of them. Because she works so hard her worst is going to be better than anyone else's as well. But the maximin is not the only criteria that's legitimate.

The single greatest season any of them had was Stewart's senior season and with that I think Stewart demonstrated the greatest potential ability of any of them. However, that's not the only criteria either.

Taurasi did the most with the least in terms of her teammates. Yes, yes, Strother, Turner, Moore (Jessica), et al are much better players than the straw man arguments I've seen used that we are inferring they are chopped liver, but they really don't hold a candle to a high functioning Charles, who became at times the best player in her sport, or even a moderate functioning Charles. There are only five players on a court, if one of them is your leading competition for greatest player in the game that makes a helluva difference over good players. The reason Charles finally reached her potential was because of Moore, of course, and I don't think Taurasi would have had the same impact. Maybe they don't go back to back perfect if Taurasi was the teammate of Charles, but I think they still would have won the NCs.

But I've seen no evidence to show that Moore could transform younger teammates the way Taurasi did. In other words, she could very well have also had some bad losses, plus fail to win the NC, if she was working with the same inexperienced players in 2003.

This is the problem with individual stats, including wins and losses, because such stats are void of the context facing the player. For example, I've seen the A/T ratio brought up a few times in comparing Bird and Jefferson. I think Jefferson is the better all around player because of her defense, but not because of the A/T ratio. Is the senior Chong also a better facilitator by virtue of the A/T ratio? Nurse at times? Faris?

Bird played teams where she had the primary responsibility for feeding the post. At 5'11" she had a natural advantage for doing that over a 5'7" Jefferson, but at a disadvantage in comparison with a 6'5" passing center out of the high post like Dolson. In the context of the teams they played with of course Bird's A/T ratio is not going to fare as well as players like Jefferson or Chong (who also relied on others feeding the post), they had the luxury of making safer passes. I know this is very unsatisfactory/unreliable evidence for many, but according to my "eyeballs," Bird could make just about any type of pass, and knew when to do so, even as a freshman; Jefferson could not really feed the post well until her senior year, perhaps into her junior, but fortunately she didn't really have to, she could safely feed the high percentage KML on the perimeter and let Dolson feed the post. I still say Jefferson was the better all around guard though.

Which is why I have so much trouble deciding on the GOAT. It really does matter who your teammates are, not just in ability but in make-up and responsibilities. I go with Stewart now only because it was not proven that there was a set of teammates where she could not deliver in a tournament, whereas for the other two there is such proof, but I realize I am on as shaky ground as anyone else championing any other GOAT.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I don't if anyone's mentioned this in this thread but the thing many people forget about DT3 is that were it not for injuries to Shea and Sveta during her Frosh year, she would be a 4-time NCAA Champ as well. Those last two teams she took to Championships were all on her. She's not only the GOAT at Connecticut but period!!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I don't if anyone's mentioned this in this thread but the thing many people forget about DT3 is that were it not for injuries to Shea and Sveta during her Frosh year, she would be a 4-time NCAA Champ as well. Those last two teams she took to Championships were all on her. She's not only the GOAT at Connecticut but period!!

It has been mentioned, but there's no guarantee of your conclusions. There were chemistry problems on that team, evident at the time but also reported by Ralph years later I believe, which no doubt stemmed from trying to mesh too much all star talent. While you can point to Auriemma teams with good chemistry as gelling and doing their best in March, you can also point to Auriemma teams that lacked chemistry during the season and that continued to plague them into March. The 2001 team, until weaned by injuries, fit the latter. Comparing apples to apples, other Auriemma teams that lacked chemistry during the season, rather than apples to oranges, teams with chemistry, would suggest the 2001 team would not even do as well as they did towards the end, would in fact play more like the discombobulated (don't you just love that word) team that did poorly against Notre Dame the entire game the first time they played.

That should not be a reflection or demerit on Taurasi's responsibility or leadership, the team was not hers to lead at that time. Yet the evidence of apples to apples, rather than assuming a team that lacked chemistry would acquire it by tournament time, despite past evidence to the contrary, suggests that Taurasi would not be in possession of 4 NCs regardless, nor would she have been the focal point of success if they did. After all, she did not even get Big East FOY because of her lesser role on an all star laden team, it was after the injuries that she was really called upon to shine. But yes, leading inexperienced players to the NCs was primarily on her, and I'm not sure any of the other GOAT candidates could do that.

Wally East

Reaction Score
I don't if anyone's mentioned this in this thread but the thing many people forget about DT3 is that were it not for injuries to Shea and Sveta during her Frosh year, she would be a 4-time NCAA Champ as well.

This was far from guaranteed. In addition to what digger mentions above, I think a lot of people forget that they had already been easily handled by ND when the team was at full strength, losing 92-76.

This, combined with the chemistry problems, would lead one to think that beating ND was pretty unlikely. That team just didn't really have an answer for Ruth Riley.

Reaction Score
Breanna is the only one who went four for four. The Huskies lost during D's freshman year when the team was loaded with talent. Sorry, I can't overlook that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Three points.

Milford essentially favors a maximin criteria, that Moore's worst is better than anyone else's worst. I agree with that, and agree that it's a legitimate criteria to use. Moore came in as a freshman with the most college ready physique and conditioning of any player, not just the GOAT candidates, so right there her worst was going to be better than any of them. Because she works so hard her worst is going to be better than anyone else's as well. But the maximin is not the only criteria that's legitimate.

The single greatest season any of them had was Stewart's senior season and with that I think Stewart demonstrated the greatest potential ability of any of them. However, that's not the only criteria either.

Taurasi did the most with the least in terms of her teammates. Yes, yes, Strother, Turner, Moore (Jessica), et al are much better players than the straw man arguments I've seen used that we are inferring they are chopped liver, but they really don't hold a candle to a high functioning Charles, who became at times the best player in her sport, or even a moderate functioning Charles. There are only five players on a court, if one of them is your leading competition for greatest player in the game that makes a helluva difference over good players. The reason Charles finally reached her potential was because of Moore, of course, and I don't think Taurasi would have had the same impact. Maybe they don't go back to back perfect if Taurasi was the teammate of Charles, but I think they still would have won the NCs.

But I've seen no evidence to show that Moore could transform younger teammates the way Taurasi did. In other words, she could very well have also had some bad losses, plus fail to win the NC, if she was working with the same inexperienced players in 2003.

This is the problem with individual stats, including wins and losses, because such stats are void of the context facing the player. For example, I've seen the A/T ratio brought up a few times in comparing Bird and Jefferson. I think Jefferson is the better all around player because of her defense, but not because of the A/T ratio. Is the senior Chong also a better facilitator by virtue of the A/T ratio? Nurse at times? Faris?

Bird played teams where she had the primary responsibility for feeding the post. At 5'11" she had a natural advantage for doing that over a 5'7" Jefferson, but at a disadvantage in comparison with a 6'5" passing center out of the high post like Dolson. In the context of the teams they played with of course Bird's A/T ratio is not going to fare as well as players like Jefferson or Chong (who also relied on others feeding the post), they had the luxury of making safer passes. I know this is very unsatisfactory/unreliable evidence for many, but according to my "eyeballs," Bird could make just about any type of pass, and knew when to do so, even as a freshman; Jefferson could not really feed the post well until her senior year, perhaps into her junior, but fortunately she didn't really have to, she could safely feed the high percentage KML on the perimeter and let Dolson feed the post. I still say Jefferson was the better all around guard though.

Which is why I have so much trouble deciding on the GOAT. It really does matter who your teammates are, not just in ability but in make-up and responsibilities. I go with Stewart now only because it was not proven that there was a set of teammates where she could not deliver in a tournament, whereas for the other two there is such proof, but I realize I am on as shaky ground as anyone else championing any other GOAT.
Interesting stuff, Digger, but Sue is only 5'9". BTW, Moriah was 5'7" as a collegian but 5'6" as a pro.

Reaction Score
Really an impossible question because you could make a case for any one of five or so wonderful players. I chose DT, reluctantly, but could have easily chosen any of the other breakthrough players -- Maya, Stewie or Lobo. To me, if you want to be chosen as greatest, you not only have to be spectacular and put up great numbes, y0ou have to be a breakthrough type. Lobo was, I believe, the first of her kind, as were Diana, Maya and Breanna. I loved Rizottti and Bird, and they were spectacular at their positions, but at the end of the day, they were superlative guards, not breakthrough players.

Reaction Score
To me greatest of all time means they are still great now. There's only one player on the list that plays for a championship every year be it here in the U.S. or over seas, and thats the great Maya. How long has it been since DT won a wnba title?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To me greatest of all time means they are still great now. There's only one player on the list that plays for a championship every year be it here in the U.S. or over seas, and thats the great Maya. How long has it been since DT won a wnba title?
That's specifically defined out of this particular poll. To me DT is easily the GOAT if you look at her overall career, but just looking at UConn, I'd have to give the nod to Breanna. What more could she have done?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom