Who actually brings value | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Who actually brings value

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If weekday nights are prime time for sports (not normal network programs), when the hell is non-prime time - 3AM? Prime time to me is whenever the advertising rates are the highest, which I'm guessing is still the weekend for sports. You can define it as whatever makes you happy.

Well for the NFL, advertising rates are highest on Monday nights. The only reason sports are bigger on weekends is because they aren't competing with anything else on TV. ESPN weeknight games, for football, but definitely for basketball, can certainly exceed the weekend day game ratings.

Reaction Score
Prime time is 8PM-11PM Monday through Friday. This isn't that hard.

So any weekend evening and most of the weekend is prime time. Got it. Kind of makes the whole concept meaningless, unless you need that broad a definition to stoke your ego. I love this country, where everyone and everything is above average. Is that too hard for you to get?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It would be fairly tricky to determine true profitability for ESPN on any given property.

Since the true measure of their profitability would include the net impact to subscribers any analysis is going to be based on a number of assumptions.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was SNY that showed a Syracuse game on tape delay. Upstater can probably provide the exact details.

Reaction Score
So any weekend evening and most of the weekend is prime time. Got it. Kind of makes the whole concept meaningless, unless you need that broad a definition to stoke your ego. I love this country, where everyone and everything is above average. Is that too hard for you to get?

That is literally how television broadcasters have defined "prime time" since the beginning of television (and probably radio before it). It's the time when most people are home and interested in broadcast entertainment.

That's why you tend to not see the networks' best, original, and/or scripted programming prior to 8 PM. Its all local news, talk shows, game shows, soap operas, or syndicated programs, and the advertising skews heavily towards certain demographics (the elderly, disabled and unemployed).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Prime Time is generally 8-11 Eastern. Sundays the networks generally work off 7pm i.e. 60 Minutes is pretty clearly 'prime time programming'.

The NFL's most expensive advertising time isn't Monday nights. It's Sunday nights.

Reaction Score

You are one dumb mother .

Prime time or peak time is the block of broadcast programming taking place during the middle of the evening for television programming.

The term prime time is often defined in terms of a fixed time period – for example (in the United States), from 19:00 to 22:00 (Central and Mountain Time) or 20:00 to 23:00 (Eastern and Pacific Time).

Reaction Score
Yeah that happened 2 or 3 years ago during the NCAA tourney. The women were playing in the 4 o'clock time slot I believe, and Syracuse had a game that was starting around that same time or at one of those funky men's tourney times like 3:56 or 4:07. Syracuse got bumped for the UConn women and the Syracuse game was shown later that night on tape delay.
I believe they were regular season games.
It might have been a UConn /ND game.

Reaction Score
Iowa state football... in a P5 conference.. has less singular " value" than a sack of potatoes. Washington State football in the PAC12 ? I think their current QB Drew Bledsoe is pretty good, but still in all. Rutgers football hasn't been much good since the leather helmut days. Lots of others we could name as well that have never played in their current league's football Championship game... or else, it was maybe back in the 70's, 80's Paleolithic Age of college football or whatever. Life is so unfair sometimes, so what else is new ?

Summer's Eve is your friend.

Reaction Score
Hey jackass, you do realize that your above reference to 'television programming' makes no reference whatsoever to sports, which I stipulated in my earlier post. Nice research and reference moron.

Gee, I wonder why the most popular Summer Olympic events were shown everyday between 8-11 for 3 straight weeks. Weird!

Reaction Score
Hey jackass, you do realize that your above reference to 'television programming' makes no reference whatsoever to sports, which I stipulated in my earlier post. Nice research and reference moron.
Prime time wasn't defined for sports per se. If you ask 100 TV/network/ad execs their definition of prime time, all 100 of them will tell you M-F 8-11PM. Again, this isn't subjective or an interpretation or an opinion, so there should be no more argument over this than if someone told you the earth was round.

Reaction Score
It was SNY that showed a Syracuse game on tape delay. Upstater can probably provide the exact details.

It was in the middle of the season. And it was a conference game for the Syracuse men. Maybe against Providence?

Reaction Score
Gee, I wonder why the most popular Summer Olympic events were shown everyday between 8-11 for 3 straight weeks. Weird!

Love how the little kid starts every post by insulting people.

Reaction Score
I believe they were regular season games.
It might have been a UConn /ND game.

I doubt UConn/ND was reduced to tier 3. Had to be a lesser game, especially back then when ND had a few women's stars.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I doubt UConn/ND was reduced to tier 3. Had to be a lesser game, especially back then when ND had a few women's stars.

Everyone's google-foo sucks. Geez.

Jan 9, 2013. Cuse@PeeCee gets bumped on SNY for UConn Women at Georgetown.

*edit* really? every instance of "" and "yoo" together gets binned?

Reaction Score
Everyone's google-foo sucks. Geez.

Jan 9, 2013. Cuse@PeeCee gets bumped on SNY for UConn Women at Georgetown.

*edit* really? every instance of "" and "yoo" together gets binned?

My memory seems to be good. It as PC, and the women weren't playing ND.

Reaction Score
... Busineses all want to make a buck for their stock holders and investors. But why do they apparently not want to make a buck in partnership with Uconn ? I don't get it.
ESPN is making a buck -- a very nice buck, a better buck than they make with BCU -- in their relationship with UCONN. How can you miss that point?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Who brings value? Not you, jackwagon. Add something noteworthy or get lost.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Jackwagon is a highly underrated term. Can I say doosh-pickle without getting modded?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is not an anti-Boston College thing, so avoid commenting on BC specifically - not about them, they were just handy.

ESPN will show three Boston College games across all sports this year - that breaks down as three football games, zero men's and women's basketball games. If you look at Wake, it's worse - something like one football game and a pair of hoop games.

Those two schools will get a total of six showings on ESPN or ESPN2.

UConn will likely have 20 games on the two premiere ESPN networks. The UConn women make more appearances than Boston College and Wake Forest combined.

For this, Wake and Boston College will receive around $45,000,000. UConn will receive $1.45M.

By virtue of their own programming, ESPN has decided that UConn is far more desirable for their premiere networks than either of those two programs, but their talking heads will keep trotting out the "that's what they're worth" nonsense.

To put the $1.45M in further perspective, prior to the formation of the AAC, UConn had a deal with SNY to sell them remnant tier 3 inventory in women's basketball - that is the games left over after ESPN and CBS had put claims on the schedule. That deal paid UConn about $1.2M annually.

Leftover UConn women's hoop games - $1.2M a year.

ESPN destroys the Big East. The American is formed. American has to get a television contract - entire conference has to give all rights to the conference. ESPN assumes the SNY contract - that is that they now own and are paid the $1.2M a year we used to receive for those remnant rights.

In the exchange, we basically receive $200,000 more per year for our entire Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 rights.

Summary - ESPN is robbing us.

Want to know our biggest challenge in realignment? We're subsidizing payments to Boston College, Wake Forest, etc.

Awesome analysis. We're on the major networks more than many P5 programs but we get a fraction of what the lesser programs like BC/WF receive.

REALLY looking forward to Benedict's conversations with ESPN to take place. If we can just bridge the gap enough with having our Tier 3 rights returned, I'll take it. There is no excuse for being paid $2M/yr in comparison to other P5 schools that have ADs that are inferior to ours.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The rub is how does that conversation take place.

I do not think Benedict means that he's going to trying to open any sort of negotiation with ESPN - even if ESPN wanted to, (they don't), I don't know how they go about removing a portion of UConn's rights from the contract.

I took his comments to mean more of a "WTF" conversation with ESPN as an in-state entity with two hands out - one asking for cooperation and alms from the state and the other with a shiv in UConn's ribcage.

(Again, the profanity filter on this site is a pure clown show - any abbreviation of 'what ---' is turned into "what". Jesus.)

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agree. I don't know what, if anything, will come from it. If nothing else, maybe we (UConn leadership) can get a better idea of why we are consistently grouped into the "watered down" litter. Like or not, that kind of grouping hurts our image and brand when it is not entirely true. I don't know if there is still bad blood at ESPN over the Blumenthal lawsuit - it outed them too, eventually - or if there is another hidden agenda at play. Benedict's comments are at least encouraging from the point that he already understands that our value far exceeds what we are being paid.

Who knows - maybe we continue to settle for $2M/yr (or whatever Aresco can negotiate in the next contract term) in exchange for something else. More games on ESPN/ESPN 2 would be nice. Or maybe ESPN will help UConn launch its own stream channel. ESPN recently bought the company who launched and ran MLB's stream platform (in my opinion, it's the best stream channel there is). With that kind of technology/workforce at their disposal, maybe Husky Vision can be a pioneer for other schools. With that, comes subscription based revenue potential for UConn and a bit of a bridge closer to our regional P5 r1vals.

Reaction Score
Agree. I don't know what, if anything, will come from it. If nothing else, maybe we (UConn leadership) can get a better idea of why we are consistently grouped into the "watered down" litter. Like or not, that kind of grouping hurts our image and brand when it is not entirely true. I don't know if there is still bad blood at ESPN over the Blumenthal lawsuit - it outed them too, eventually - or if there is another hidden agenda at play. Benedict's comments are at least encouraging from the point that he already understands that our value far exceeds what we are being paid.

Who knows - maybe we continue to settle for $2M/yr (or whatever Aresco can negotiate in the next contract term) in exchange for something else. More games on ESPN/ESPN 2 would be nice. Or maybe ESPN will help UConn launch its own stream channel. ESPN recently bought the company who launched and ran MLB's stream platform (in my opinion, it's the best stream channel there is). With that kind of technology/workforce at their disposal, maybe Husky Vision can be a pioneer for other schools. With that, comes subscription based revenue potential for UConn and a bit of a bridge closer to our regional P5 r1vals.

A cable channel would be very nice actually. Because most of these Connecticut rich folks aren't going to miss the $2.50 that UConn and ESPN will charge them for showing UConn's 3rd tier rights.

Assuming a 50% split like the other entities get (BYU/Texas/Fox and BTN), you may be talking about 1.3m cable TV sets x $2.50 x 12 months x 50% = $19.5m to UConn. Not to mention digital streaming. Say $4m from conference TV rights. Or selling the UConn channel in New York and Mass and Rhode Island for 9 cents a month per household.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Bspn is currently trying to accomodate the services of bamtech. Bamtech (the mlb streaming company) is looking for 100 racks of servers and equipment in the current bristol facility. Id love to set aside some space for huskyvision 2.0. A deal has got to be struck somewhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom