Who actually brings value | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Who actually brings value

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Bspn is currently trying to accomodate the services of bamtech. Bamtech (the mlb streaming company) is looking for 100 racks of servers and equipment in the current bristol facility. Id love to set aside some space for huskyvision 2.0. A deal has got to be struck somewhere.

Bamtech! Yup, that's the one. John Silver told me about it but couldn't remember the company name (and was too lazy to look it up).

Reaction Score
The rub is how does that conversation take place.

I do not think Benedict means that he's going to trying to open any sort of negotiation with ESPN - even if ESPN wanted to, (they don't), I don't know how they go about removing a portion of UConn's rights from the contract.

I took his comments to mean more of a "what" conversation with ESPN as an in-state entity with two hands out - one asking for cooperation and alms from the state and the other with a shiv in UConn's ribcage.

(Again, the profanity filter on this site is a pure clown show - any abbreviation of 'what ---' is turned into "what". Jesus.)
I always thought you were the profanity filter. Can't you change it?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Bspn is currently trying to accomodate the services of bamtech. Bamtech (the mlb streaming company) is looking for 100 racks of servers and equipment in the current bristol facility. Id love to set aside some space for huskyvision 2.0. A deal has got to be struck somewhere.

Eventually, Disney will own Bamtech.

I think that will be the basis for their direct-to-consumer platform.

But we need to stop worrying about any sort of UConn network. They're not going to do it for us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The women did a .7 and .8 rating multiple times last year. Against teams like South Carolina and Baylor, they pulled decent numbers.
The UConn-DePaul WBB game was the third-highest rated Big East game overall on FS1 during Nov-Dec of last season.

Reaction Score
The OTHER thing that always seemed to be nonsense is the "Bowl" hierarchy.

First, having gone to the Rose Bowl about 8 years in a row, it is special. Far beyond the International/Meineke/Birmingham/MotorCity things I have attended as a UCFB fan.

However, I am also mindful - since I went to college - the Fiesta Bowl has leaped over many others.

These things aren't in stone. One Jerry Jones or Arthur Blank who owns a stadium WITH a big tie to major sponsors could wipe away a bunch of local toady Chamber of Commerce types at a top bowl. Tradition>? Sure. Money will trump Tradition easy. If suddenly a bigshot SF or LA money source wanted to overwhelm the Fiesta ... or even the Rose, it is entirely possible with the Stadiums that are sprouting up. Vegas gets a NFL franchise - like the Raiders from Mark Davis - suddenly that becomes a draw. They won't be competing with Shreveport.

Reaction Score
Because I like UConn, and I hate to see y'all tilting at windmills, some numbers. Roughly 19 million watched AAC regular-season conference basketball games in 2015, which featured the defending national champion. 280 minutes of ACC play had more viewers. Roughly 15 million saw AAC regular-season conference football games in 2015. More saw two Clemson home games that year (FSU and Notre Dame). It is very unlikely the ACC is being propped up by the AAC. I won't say impossible simply because you never say never, but I think it is time to let that straw man die.

Reaction Score
Because I like UConn, and I hate to see y'all tilting at windmills, some numbers. Roughly 19 million watched AAC regular-season conference basketball games in 2015, which featured the defending national champion. 280 minutes of ACC play had more viewers. Roughly 15 million saw AAC regular-season conference football games in 2015. More saw two Clemson home games that year (FSU and Notre Dame). It is very unlikely the ACC is being propped up by the AAC. I won't say impossible simply because you never say never, but I think it is time to let that straw man die.

Lame, very lame.

Reaction Score
This thread can die and we would all be better for it. But if you are comparing the AAC programming to the very top of the ACC, you still don't get it.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This thread can die and we would all be better for it. But if you are comparing the AAC programming to the very top of the ACC, you still don't get it.

Don't even bother... the idiot isn't comparing apples to oranges... he's comparing apples to toaster ovens... he's mixing units, sports, and tenses... it's a complete mess... and he's apparently building the mother off all straw men.

The whole concept here isn't hard: ESPN show UConn more than Wake Forest. UConn > Wake Forest. ESPN pay less for UConn. ESPN pay WAY more for Wake Forest. ESPN make WAY more money on UConn. This bad for UConn. UConn fans sad.

Apparently this simple statement of fact is far to complicated for some BC fans (and some UConn fans) to understand...

Reaction Score
Don't even bother... the idiot isn't comparing apples to oranges... he's comparing apples to toaster ovens... he's mixing units, sports, and tenses... it's a complete mess... and he's apparently building the mother off all straw men.

The whole concept here isn't hard: ESPN show UConn more than Wake Forest. UConn > Wake Forest. ESPN pay less for UConn. ESPN pay WAY more for Wake Forest. ESPN make WAY more money on UConn. This bad for UConn. UConn fans sad.

Apparently this simple statement of fact is far to complicated for some BC fans (and some UConn fans) to understand...
Missed one important piece... WF=P5, Uconn=G5

Reaction Score
This post makes about as much sense as a Vanderbilt fan screaming "SEC, SEC" as Alabama wins another football championship. Bro, it ain't the conference playing...

The better question is if so many fans watched Clemson play FSU then why does Clemson get the same money as BC? And, if more viewers watched UCONN than BC then why is BC getting paid for FSU's viewers while UConn gets an AAC share?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. If the Big East hadn't been destroyed at ESPN's bidding, it would have had to pay much more for the Big East than it currently pays for the AAC. The money it saved on one (the AAC) is used to pay the other (the ACC).

Reaction Score
This is probably ridiculous, but maybe Benedict is thinking of approaching ESPN with non-broadcast related partnership opportunities with ESPN?

For example, maybe UConn and ESPN could enter into some kind of agreement, facilitated by the state that allows ESPN to build new broadcast facilities in Storrs and use UConn facilities for the filming of ESPN segments and original programming. We have a top flight football training facility and basketball center, why couldn't they serve as backdrop for future ESPN productions?

This type of agreement isn't likely to generate too much new revenue annually for the athletic department (like we're talking less than a million bucks probably), but the exposure and benefits of having ESPN on campus could only help UConn in recruiting and eventually play a role in P5 aspirations.

LBJ once said about adversaries, "it's better to have them inside the tent pissin out, than outside the tent pissin in."

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. If the Big East hadn't been destroyed at ESPN's bidding, it would have had to pay much more for the Big East than it currently pays for the AAC. The money it saved on one (the AAC) is used to pay the other (the ACC).
Doesn't get much clearer than that. I can't imagine ESPN trying to do the same to the Big 12.
The reason the GOR isn't extended is because the P5 will very fluidly become P4 first.

Reaction Score
A cable channel would be very nice actually. Because most of these Connecticut rich folks aren't going to miss the $2.50 that UConn and ESPN will charge them for showing UConn's 3rd tier rights.

Assuming a 50% split like the other entities get (BYU/Texas/Fox and BTN), you may be talking about 1.3m cable TV sets x $2.50 x 12 months x 50% = $19.5m to UConn. Not to mention digital streaming. Say $4m from conference TV rights. Or selling the UConn channel in New York and Mass and Rhode Island for 9 cents a month per household.
Can I suscibe

Reaction Score

There seem to be multiple issues you all are working on, so I'll try again to be clear.

I get it makes you sad that Wake Forest makes more than UConn when UConn appears more often on ESPN. But the fact is ESPN is not paying for UConn content or Wake Forest content. It is paying for ACC content and AAC content. If someone wanted to complain about Wake Forest, it would be the schools that Wake is directly taking money from, that are literally subsidizing Deacon sports. That is those contractually bound to Wake.

Tulane and Tulsa are the ones they are keeping afloat with all the Huskies appearances on ESPN. If we are speaking only of who UConn is subsidizing as the word was intended, it is there one must look. Wake isn't being subsidized by UConn any more than UNC is subsidizing Tulsa. Even if money from the UNC-Duke game makes its way into Tulsa's coffers, that does not a subsidy make.

The other issue seemed to be whether the ACC was being propped up by the AAC. That was a different charge, and one harder to discuss since we don't have access to ESPN's books. I decided to look at the numbers just for fun. Simply looking at the sheer difference in viewers brought in by the two conferences, I think it is probably a dead end though. Even with UConn involved, the ACC's difference in value is ginormous. The most watched UConn game in 2015 was with Duke. 18 games involving ACC teams beat it in ratings. The argument that is AAC is propping up the ACC just seems weird.

UConn fans have a right to be mad at Swofford and ESPN and the world. But at least argue the points well. UConn is not subsidizing Wake, it is subsidizing Tulsa, and it's unlikely the profits on the AAC are being used to prop up the ACC.

Reaction Score
There seem to be multiple issues you all are working on, so I'll try again to be clear.

I get it makes you sad that Wake Forest makes more than UConn when UConn appears more often on ESPN. But the fact is ESPN is not paying for UConn content or Wake Forest content. It is paying for ACC content and AAC content. If someone wanted to complain about Wake Forest, it would be the schools that Wake is directly taking money from, that are literally subsidizing Deacon sports. That is those contractually bound to Wake.

Tulane and Tulsa are the ones they are keeping afloat with all the Huskies appearances on ESPN. If we are speaking only of who UConn is subsidizing as the word was intended, it is there one must look. Wake isn't being subsidized by UConn any more than UNC is subsidizing Tulsa. Even if money from the UNC-Duke game makes its way into Tulsa's coffers, that does not a subsidy make.

The other issue seemed to be whether the ACC was being propped up by the AAC. That was a different charge, and one harder to discuss since we don't have access to ESPN's books. I decided to look at the numbers just for fun. Simply looking at the sheer difference in viewers brought in by the two conferences, I think it is probably a dead end though. Even with UConn involved, the ACC's difference in value is ginormous. The most watched UConn game in 2015 was with Duke. 18 games involving ACC teams beat it in ratings. The argument that is AAC is propping up the ACC just seems weird.

UConn fans have a right to be mad at Swofford and ESPN and the world. But at least argue the points well. UConn is not subsidizing Wake, it is subsidizing Tulsa, and it's unlikely the profits on the AAC are being used to prop up the ACC.
You are wrong. Connecticut taxpayers subsidize ESPN, ergo UConn subsidizes everything at ESPN to some extent by virtue of their incorporation in the same state. Dollars are fungible and aren't kept in separate super duper top secret bank accounts. This is like being married. Do you keep separate bank accounts and whoever makes more money bills their partner for their share of the expenses, or do they simply pool and share resources?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom