Which team has the most talented roster in terms of top 8 players. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Which team has the most talented roster in terms of top 8 players.

Reaction Score
Without a doubt UCONN has the highest ceiling. And imo right now South Carol is the best team. SoCar is loaded with supreme championship mettle. No one else has SoCar's experience. For example, in NCAA Tourney (not a reg. season game) in the last 3 minutes if tight, UCONN's frontcourt would have some combo of 2 freshmen, a soph, and Aubrey G (AG playing a limited season with extremely little Final Four experience) going against the maturity of SOCar's Frontcourt. Experience-wise that's a mismatch.

If UCONN were to win the game vs them or any other quality team in FF, it won't be the experience that gets it done with that type of frontcourt. The winning will be because of their superior talent. The fact that they are so highly ranked and thought of is due to their super talent. Not their experience. Nor their cohesion (due to so many past injuries).

BTW, Juju is scary. And to another degree so is overall ND. But i go with SoCar championship mettle once Tourney starts for right now edging any other team's ceiling. We'll see though how season unfolds leading up to it.

Reaction Score
I love a good basketball discussion. lol.

Leger-Walker was All Pac-12 all 4 years, lead her team to a conference tournament championship as a junior, as an underdog. She's just a really good player. As a freshman she was averaging close to 19. I get she's coming off of injury, I honestly don't know when she'll come back.. She got hurt in late January. had surgery in February. If its an ACL injury, I'd assume 9-12 months - so late early December-February which is a big window. We will see, but I hope she doesn't rush and comes back when healthy. I like Fulwiley a lot but that's a lot of accolades and accomplishments as a number one option on a team. Fulwiley very well could be better than her, but I don't think it's that crazy to say she's equal to someone who before the injury could've very well got drafted this year. But if we're saying Prosper is better than her, than I'd rather just take Walker out and put someone else in.

I feel like a lot of wcbb fans don't have love for Kiki Rice. It's kinda strange to me. I think it's cause she struggled making a post entry pass against LSU. Alas, she averaged 13 6 and 5 on basically a top ten team as a sophomore. I like Raven Johnson a lot. It's close in my eyes, but I'll go with Kiki. No slight on Raven. I just think offensively Kiki is a lot better, in the half court and in transition and has had a lot more responsibility than Raven. Defensively obviously Raven is better and Raven is a better passer.

Gardiner and Westbeld.. I'm not sure that's really all that crazy. Gardiner's stats last year pretty much mirror what Westbeld did her sophomore and junior seasons. Also, they matched up in the tournament. Gardiner had 21 and 11. Westbeld had 19 and 2. Once again, it's pretty close. I just think Gardiner a bit more dynamic as she is a bit better of a shooter. And I kind of think she's ready to take off. She had a hard freshman season, impacted by injury. The past season, played some off the bench, before taking off. Ironically she may find herself in a similar situation this season with UCLA's front court depth, but if it were up to me, she'd start and I think she'd take off.

I tried to match them by position. I think KK or KC will start at point guard for Uconn. Kiki is the point guard for UCLA. Even though Jones is smaller and will probably defend point guards, she really doesn't run the team like a point. I did a similar thing with Notre Dame. I just would imagine that Olivia Miles would be running the team and Hannah Hidalgo would be playing more off ball, despite being a couple inches shorter. So that's why I matched up Miles with Kiki Rice.

For the Uconn one, which matchup specifically do you think I was way off base on. just curious

With all due respect to the Prosper vs Leger-Walker comparison and the idea Prosper is better I don't understand that comparison. They don't play the same position and Prosper hasn't shown the shooting accuracy that's even close to Leger-Walker.

@GirlBoo1020 can you expand on why you believe Prosper is better? When you compare the track records of both players I can't see how that's possible at this moment in Prosper's career.

Reaction Score
For the Uconn one, which matchup specifically do you think I was way off base on. just curious
Ash-Dugalic. The height difference is too great for Geno to think he could give Ash that defensive assignment. It’s not unreasonable to think Ash might end up on her occasionally on a switch, a “mouse in the house” situation. But this will not be the norm. For the same reason Ash will not be assigned to guard Gardner. This may mean Ash won’t see as much court time in a UCLA game. Also, I think it unlikely Close would put 3 bigs on the floor at once in Betts Dugakic and Gardner or Barker. My guess is Betts plus one big and Rice Jones Jaquez or another wing. Which means again that Ash would not likely spend much time defending a big.

Reaction Score
Without a doubt UCONN has the highest ceiling. And imo right now South Carol is the best team. SoCar is loaded with supreme championship mettle. No one else has SoCar's experience. For example, in NCAA Tourney (not a reg. season game) in the last 3 minutes if tight, UCONN's frontcourt would have some combo of 2 freshmen, a soph, and Aubrey G (AG playing a limited season with extremely little Final Four experience) going against the maturity of SOCar's Frontcourt. Experience-wise that's a mismatch.

If UCONN were to win the game vs them or any other quality team in FF, it won't be the experience that gets it done with that type of frontcourt. The winning will be because of their superior talent. The fact that they are so highly ranked and thought of is due to their super talent. Not their experience. Nor their cohesion (due to so many past injuries).

BTW, Juju is scary. And to another degree so is overall ND. But i go with SoCar championship mettle once Tourney starts for right now edging any other team's ceiling. We'll see though how season unfolds leading up to it.
Good analysis. I agree about SC and think they have to be the pre-season favorite. Too much talent, experience, depth and team balance to put anyone else in that spot. UConn may have more talent, but not the same depth in the front court or nearly as much experience. What Geno has is the best player in D1 and potentially the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best players. But that’s merely potential and other than Azzi we have no idea what they will look like on the court together. It doesn’t outweigh all that experience.

And you’re right, Juju is scary. She has the potential to become the GOAT. Her physical skills are that good. She’s a walking mismatch for any defender. But her game is not well rounded… yet. Her passing and her defense do not yet rival Paige and we saw that last season. Paige could will a less well-stocked team past hers. Juju is not there yet.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to the Prosper vs Leger-Walker comparison and the idea Prosper is better I don't understand that comparison. They don't play the same position and Prosper hasn't shown the shooting accuracy that's even close to Leger-Walker.

@GirlBoo1020 can you expand on why you believe Prosper is better? When you compare the track records of both players I can't see how that's possible at this moment in Prosper's career.
I really just don't think Leger-Walker will be available to play this season and if she is it will be very rusty, at the very end of the season on a brand new team that's already spent 4 months developing chemistry. I don't see her adding much given the reality of the situation, unfortunately. If she was coming in healthy it would be a different story but given how late in the season her injury was it will be tough.
I mean look at Aubrey, if she was healthy she would be in everyone's top 8 for UConn but given when her injury occurred I think expectations of what she can provide for the team are significantly lower and more of a bonus at this point. And she was injured a month a before Leger-Walker.

Reaction Score
I really just don't think Leger-Walker will be available to play this season and if she is it will be very rusty, at the very end of the season on a brand new team that's already spent 4 months developing chemistry. I don't see her adding much given the reality of the situation, unfortunately. If she was coming in healthy it would be a different story but given how late in the season her injury was it will be tough.
I mean look at Aubrey, if she was healthy she would be in everyone's top 8 for UConn but given when her injury occurred I think expectations of what she can provide for the team are significantly lower and more of a bonus at this point. And she was injured a month a before Leger-Walker.
With or without the injury, I'm still confused as to how these two can be compared against each other. They don't play the same position as Leger-Walker is a PG and Prosper is more of a wing than a guard. That's what I find perplexing. If there was a debate between Miles and Leger-Walker, that would make more sense because they play the same position.

Comparing Griffin to Prosper would make more sense. Their playing styles are a lot more similar, from my perspective.

Reaction Score
With or without the injury, I'm still confused as to how these two can be compared against each other. They don't play the same position as Leger-Walker is a PG and Prosper is more of a wing than a guard. That's what I find perplexing. If there was a debate between Miles and Leger-Walker, that would make more sense because they play the same position.

Comparing Griffin to Prosper would make more sense. Their playing styles are a lot more similar, from my perspective.
I wasn't comparing the bench by position because some teams have all guards on their bench and some have all bigs. Just by player quality. I think Prosper will help her team more than Walker would.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, fortunately we will get to see at least these regular season matchups between what most folks on here seem to project as the 7 most talented teams,

SCar at UCLA
U$C at UConn
Notre Dame @U$C
UConn @ SCar
UConn v Notre Dame

UCLA v. U$C home and home
SCar v. Texas home and home
LSU at SCar (can't duck those conference games Kim)
Texas at LSU

Feel free to add.

Reaction Score
I wasn't comparing the bench by position because some teams have all guards on their bench and some have all bigs. Just by player quality. I think Prosper will help her team more than Walker would.
If it's based solely on injury, I get it to an extent. If Leger-Walker was fully healthy, I'd disagree for the same reasons I noted earlier.

Reaction Score
Good analysis. . . .

And you’re right, Juju is scary. She has the potential to become the GOAT. Her physical skills are that good. She’s a walking mismatch for any defender. But her game is not well rounded… yet. Her passing and her defense do not yet rival Paige and we saw that last season. Paige could will a less well-stocked team past hers. Juju is not there yet.
How do you defend her? Maybe a Booker at Texas could maybe control her. A SCar could look at using Watkins on her but that would leave Iriafan free to run wild. I guess you have to concentrate on denying her the ball as much as possible - which means a lot of pressing.

Reaction Score
How do you defend her? Maybe a Booker at Texas could maybe control her. A SCar could look at using Watkins on her but that would leave Iriafan free to run wild. I guess you have to concentrate on denying her the ball as much as possible - which means a lot of pressing.
Just don't foul her and you'll be fine. She has no left hand and will shoot her team out of games if you don't let her get to the line. She is kind of like Arike, people look at the scoring total but ignore the efficiency. Against UConn she ended with 29 points on 25 shots, shooting 36%, 4 turnovers 2 assists. That is... not good and yet people considered it a good game. If some of those shots had gone to Marshall who we had no answer for, they might have been playing Iowa in the final four.

I think the potential of Juju is immense but I'm clearly not a big fan of her style of play. I'll leave my UConn bias out of it but I don't think her freshman season compares to Caitlin Clark's freshman season and yet she's gotten way more hype imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, fortunately we will get to see at least these regular season matchups between what most folks on here seem to project as the 7 most talented teams,

SCar at UCLA
U$C at UConn
Notre Dame @U$C
UConn @ SCar
UConn v Notre Dame

Texas at LSU

Feel free to add.
Texas @ ND. ACC/SEC challenge

Reaction Score
No way Watkins defends Juju. Juju is too much perimeter and too much handle. Bree and Raven will defend her and other wings. Juju is too much of an explosive scorer from the outsde to allow Watkins to defend her vs guarding Kiki which potentially she is a much, much better match to defend.

Reaction Score
No way Watkins defends Juju. Juju is too much perimeter and too much handle. Bree and Raven will defend her and other wings. Juju is too much of an explosive scorer from the outsde to allow Watkins to defend her vs guarding Kiki which potentially she is a much, much better match to defend.
What about Joyce Edwards? She's pretty athletic. She may be an option as a perimeter defender, or she can play the 4 and let Watkins have a go at the 3.

Reaction Score
What about Joyce Edwards? She's pretty athletic. She may be an option as a perimeter defender, or she can play the 4 and let Watkins have a go at the 3.
You mean guard Juju? Juju is a Wing not a PF. And Watkins is not a 3. Edwards is more of a 3 than Watkins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You mean guard Juju? Juju is a Wing not a PF. And Watkins is not a 3. Edwards is more of a 3 than Watkins.
Watkins is 6-3 fast, great leaper, quick reflexes, can run the floor and PERHAPS the best athlete in the nation. Wait. Isn’t Paige a 4 herself ( when needed)? Can she guard Juju?

. No, I wouldn’t have Watkins guarding a small super quick guard like Hidalgo but she can cover a 6-2 shooter.

It’s really all academic. As I said earlier, she’s needed on Iriafan.

Reaction Score
Edwards is absolutely a 4. No way she guards Juju effectively. It's gotta be Raven and Tessa with a little help from the front court. Put a big on Juju and she'll make a living from the free throw line, like she did against UCLA.

Paige and Nika were able to keep Juju under 30 on 9-25 shooting with 10 rebounds 2 assists and 4 turnovers not because they were bigger but because they are simply great defenders. Now bear in mind that Paige did that while scoring 28 on 11-23 shooting, 10 rebounds and 6 assists, and Nika had 8 pts on 2-5, 5 rebounds and 8 assists.

I have a feeling Raven and Tessa might not score 36 points in the effort, but they probably wouldn't have to give up their own offense in the effort. I think USC loses to SC precisely because they'll succeed. I choose Tessa over Milaysia because Tessa has proven herself on both ends of the court.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

SCar at UCLA
U$C at UConn
Notre Dame @U$C
UConn @ SCar
UConn v Notre Dame

Texas at LSU

Feel free to add.

it's actually LSU at Texas.

Also, Texas at UConn

Reaction Score
Watkins is 6-3 fast, great leaper, quick reflexes, can run the floor and PERHAPS the best athlete in the nation. Wait. Isn’t Paige a 4 herself ( when needed)? Can she guard Juju?

. No, I wouldn’t have Watkins guarding a small super quick guard like Hidalgo but she can cover a 6-2 shooter.

It’s really all academic. As I said earlier, she’s needed on Iriafan.
No Watkins can't Not a chance vs one of the top 5 perimeter players in wcbb. With respect no she can't. Nor is Paige a PF vs a team like SOCar. It's a mismatch. Bree and Raven will guard her or other players but certainly not Watkins other than off switches.

Reaction Score
No Watkins can't Not a chance vs one of the top 5 perimeter players in wcbb. With respect no she can't. Nor is Paige a PF vs a team like SOCar. It's a mismatch. Bree and Raven will guard her or other players but certainly not Watkins other than off switches.
I think Watkins is plenty quick enough to guard other Watkins tbh. Probably a better option than Bree Hall. But South Carolina has elite perimeter defenders, no need to risk foul trouble for Ashlyn Watkins by putting her on Juju and give Kiki an easier defender so its a moot point.

Ashlyn Watkins is quicker than Nika and Paige so unclear why everyone is freaking out over the thought of her guarding Juju.

Reaction Score
I think Watkins is plenty quick enough to guard other Watkins tbh. Probably a better option than Bree Hall. But South Carolina has elite perimeter defenders, no need to risk foul trouble for Ashlyn Watkins by putting her on Juju and give Kiki an easier defender so its a moot point.

Ashlyn Watkins is quicker than Nika and Paige so unclear why everyone is freaking out over the thought of her guarding Juju.
Nika's defense is built on team. Not on quickness because she doesn't have elite athleticism. . She has grown up all her life playing defense on the perimeter though. Juju all her life has grown up learning how to score on the perimeter. The reason why you state you wouldn't put Watkins on Juju despite her quickness and concern for foul trouble is because she more than likely would have little chance to do it effectively unless Juju was just off.

There were a lot of players that have been quicker and higher leapers than Nika but yet she stood out as super defenders vs many many others that were superior to her athletically because even though a player is quick and can jump doesn't mean they can defend a superstar when they are playing out of position which Watkins would be.

Bree and Raven are the much better options. Watkins this early in her career would be a fish out of water guarding a premiere perimeter scorer with handle and craftiness that's a superstar from the perimeter. -- Now if Juju was trying to take Watkins in the paint on low posts, then this flips things this point in their careers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edwards is absolutely a 4. No way she guards Juju effectively. It's gotta be Raven and Tessa with a little help from the front court. Put a big on Juju and she'll make a living from the free throw line, like she did against UCLA.

Paige and Nika were able to keep Juju under 30 on 9-25 shooting with 10 rebounds 2 assists and 4 turnovers not because they were bigger but because they are simply great defenders. Now bear in mind that Paige did that while scoring 28 on 11-23 shooting, 10 rebounds and 6 assists, and Nika had 8 pts on 2-5, 5 rebounds and 8 assists.

I have a feeling Raven and Tessa might not score 36 points in the effort, but they probably wouldn't have to give up their own offense in the effort. I think USC loses to SC precisely because they'll succeed. I choose Tessa over Milaysia because Tessa has proven herself on both ends of the court.
I made a typo referencing Edwards. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom