Which team has the most talented roster in terms of top 8 players. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Which team has the most talented roster in terms of top 8 players.

Reaction Score
Nika's defense is built on team. Not on quickness because she doesn't have elite athleticism. . She has grown up all her life playing defense on the perimeter though. Juju all her life has grown up learning how to score on the perimeter. The reason why you state you wouldn't put Watkins on Juju despite her quickness and concern for foul trouble is because she more than likely would have little chance to do it effectively unless Juju was just off.

There were a lot of players that have been quicker and higher leapers than Nika but yet she stood out as super defenders vs many many others that were superior to her athletically because even though a player is quick and can jump doesn't mean they can defend a superstar when they are playing out of position which Watkins would be.

Bree and Raven are the much better options. Watkins this early in her career would be a fish out of water guarding a premiere perimeter scorer with handle and craftiness that's a superstar from the perimeter. -- Now if Juju was trying to take Watkins in the paint on low posts, then this flips things this point in their careers.

At 5-8, Raven is 6 inches shorter than Juju. 6-0 Bree Hall would probably be the first option. 6-1 Tessa Johnson’s defense is not there yet.Milaysia is only 5-10 but has super hops.. PoaPoa is not an option.

Reaction Score
Nika's defense is built on team. Not on quickness because she doesn't have elite athleticism. . She has grown up all her life playing defense on the perimeter though. Juju all her life has grown up learning how to score on the perimeter. The reason why you state you wouldn't put Watkins on Juju despite her quickness and concern for foul trouble is because she more than likely would have little chance to do it effectively unless Juju was just off.

There were a lot of players that have been quicker and higher leapers than Nika but yet she stood out as super defenders vs many many others that were superior to her athletically because even though a player is quick and can jump doesn't mean they can defend a superstar when they are playing out of position which Watkins would be.

Bree and Raven are the much better options. Watkins this early in her career would be a fish out of water guarding a premiere perimeter scorer with handle and craftiness that's a superstar from the perimeter. -- Now if Juju was trying to take Watkins in the paint on low posts, then this flips things this point in their careers.

Watkins defends the perimeter more than you realize I think and is a better perimeter defender than you are giving her credit for. Plus Juju shoots CC volume from the perimeter with Hailey Van Lith efficiency so I'm not sure she is the perimeter threat you are making her out to be either. Her biggest threat is around the basket and Watkins is a great match up there.

Reaction Score
At 5-8, Raven is 6 inches shorter than Juju. 6-0 Bree Hall would probably be the first option. 6-1 Tessa Johnson’s defense is not there yet.Milaysia is only 5-10 but has super hops.. PoaPoa is not an option.
Nika is 5'10 and Juju's height really wasn't an issue. Seeing her and Paige next to each other, I find it hard to believe Juju is 6'2", unless people are counting the top of the bun when measuring. She is a small 6'2".

Reaction Score

I am totally with you on this post, both about Nika and about Watkins and about Raven. Being a great defender isn't about athleticism taken in isolation. It's about knowing your position, getting to your spots, getting the switches right, calling out screens and so on. This is exactly why Nika was so good. Also, a ton of tenacity didn't hurt. This is also why Ash is becoming a great defender, and KK too. Give them another year to master their craft and they'll give Nika a run for her money as premier defenders. I'd say Raven has similar qualities as Nika and these are what will get her drafted this year.

Paige is a great defender for a slightly different reason. She's crafty, she's lanky, and she reads situations better than anyone in D1. She may not have Nika's fire, though she's close. Of course she knows her role in the system. But she also knows when to take a chance, shoot the gap and get in the passing lanes. And she does one other thing very few players do. On passes -- especially inbounds passes -- she plays the ball not the passer. She doesn't just jump up and down waving her arms. She looks to grab the ball. She's made lots of steals, tips and deflections this way over the years. One other player who does this on defense is Sarah Strong. I'm really looking forward to watching her play defense as much as offense.

Finally, I don't know who floated this idea, but there is no way Ashlyn Watkins is quicker than Paige, much less Hannah Hidalgo. Not in this universe. She is a very quick very strong 6'2" player and very athletic. She's quicker than Ayanna Patterson who also runs the court very well.

Reaction Score
Watkins defends the perimeter more than you realize I think and is a better perimeter defender than you are giving her credit for. Plus Juju shoots CC volume from the perimeter with Hailey Van Lith efficiency so I'm not sure she is the perimeter threat you are making her out to be either. Her biggest threat is around the basket and Watkins is a great match up there.
Nika is 5'10 and Juju's height really wasn't an issue. Seeing her and Paige next to each other, I find it hard to believe Juju is 6'2", unless people are counting the top of the bun when measuring. She is a small 6'2".
You're right that Ashlyn Watkins defends the perimeter, too. All SC's bigs except Kamila did that last year. Same with Geno's bigs. It's the way they coach defense. Plus they both like their teams to switch 1 through 5 when possible, though again Kamila wasn't quite capable of this. But this doesn't make Ashlyn a great perimeter defender in isolation from the team. It's just what the team scheme requires of her. Just as Dorka and Aaliyah weren't great perimeter defenders in isolation. But used as part of a full-team scheme they could be effective out there. This isn't to say Ashlynn isn't good playing defense at the top of the key. I think she is. But I don't think she can keep Juju in front of her. One reason you use a big to defend at the top of the key is to make it hard to pass from one side to the other in the half court offense. That isn't quite the same as being a great on-ball perimeter defender.

On Juju, she is not a great perimeter shooter, but she doesn't need to be. She just needs to make enough of them to force defenders to get close enough to guard against it. Then she blows past them and gets an easy midrange shot, and she's money on those. Unless the 4 or 5 makes a mistake and contests the midrange shot too closely. Then she goes all the way to the rim and gets fouled. Once Juju gets past the perimeter defender, she's pretty much unstoppable, and she's a great FT shooter. Watch the UCLA games to see how that works. UConn beat USC because Paige and Nika didn't give her many chances to blow past them, and Aaliyah made very few mistakes. And even with that, Juju still scored 30.

And I share your thinking about how tall Juju really is. If Paige is 6'0", then Juju looks to be 6'1". But that's a really difficult size for a big guard. The ideal defender against Juju would be a healthy Aubrey, since she actually is quicker and faster and has the size to defend the perimeter without getting too close. This is why it's really too bad Aubrey won't be back in December for the rematch. Sigh.

Reaction Score
I disagree with the context of your post. She doesn't defend elite perimeter players that are superstars on the perimeter for anything other than a switch off or random play because its things like you have suggested- she'd get into foul trouble. In no way does she defend a player like this in the manner you imply.

In addition, you are way undervaluing the scorer Juju is. She took a team with past little success and led them as a freshman to an E8 and she led her team to P5,Tourney league as well. Along with 2nd in reg season PAC Finish. All way above past year’s performances in summation of all factors, She is much more than what you are giving her credit for especially leading into year 2 with added soph experience (the supposed soph jump), and a stronger team

Reaction Score
I disagree with the context of your post. She doesn't defend elite perimeter players that are superstars on the perimeter for anything other than a switch off or random play because its things like you have suggested- she'd get into foul trouble. In no way does she defend a player like this in the manner you imply.

In addition, you are way undervaluing the scorer Juju is. She took a team with past little success and led them as a freshman to an E8 and she led her team to P5,Tourney league as well. Along with 2nd in reg season PAC Finish. All way above past year’s performances in summation of all factors, She is much more than what you are giving her credit for especially leading into year 2 with added soph experience (the supposed soph jump), and a stronger team
I will agree that we can’t risk fouls with Ashlyn.

Reaction Score
I will agree that we can’t risk fouls with Ashlyn.
I just want to say - reitearate I have a ton of respect for your team and players. It might seem like I'm slamming your team and players. Which is not my intent. Anyhow, why do you feel there is a risk of foul trouble from such a super defender like her? The elite defenders - you don't pull them away from super offensive players. Their purpose is to defend.

Reaction Score
I just want to say - reitearate I have a ton of respect for your team and players. It might seem like I'm slamming your team and players. Which is not my intent. Anyhow, why do you feel there is a risk of foul trouble from such a super defender like her? The elite defenders - you don't pull them away from super offensive players. Their purpose is to defend.
The biggest risk is her temperament. Dawn reeled her in some last year but needs to do more this year.

We need 30 minutes from her. When Ashylyn gets too fired up, she tends to foul more AND draws too much attention from the refs. If you add a foul per game from being in a less familiar position, it gets too dangerous.

Reaction Score
The biggest risk is her temperament. Dawn reeled her in some last year but needs to do more this year.

We need 30 minutes from her. When Ashylyn gets too fired up, she tends to foul more AND draws too much attention from the refs. If you add a foul per game from being in a less familiar position, it gets too dangerous.
so if Angel Reese came back - you wouldn't put Watkins on her as well? Because if you can't risk having her defend Juju because of foul trouble, then why would you put her on Angel? Does her temperment change if you would put her on Angel?

Reaction Score
so if Angel Reese came back - you wouldn't put Watkins on her as well? Because if you can't risk having her defend Juju because of foul trouble, then why would you put her on Angel? Does her temperment change if you would put her on Angel?
That’s Dawn’s job. But also, who fouls out first if Angel came back?

Reaction Score
Marquette grad and incoming Notre Dame grad student Liz Karlen gave an interview to an ND-related media outlet and said her goal in transferring was to play for a team that had a chance of winning a national championship. Karlen thought there were 'seven or eight" teams that had a chance of doing so and her final three were all in that category (They are in this graphic, too.).

So, how do I think Liz Karlen and the Irish will do? I like ND's overall depth and think KK Bransford and Emma Risch will also get playing time for Coach Niele Ivey and the Fighting Irish. Bransford always seems to find herself in the mix as a tough, two-way guard and Risch -- who missed most of her frosh year -- can shoot from distance and drive for pull-up jumpers. The key for Ivey is to integrate Karlen and Liatu King, the injured players (Miles, Prosper, Risch) and the newcomer, center Kate Koval.

However, she's got a huge crutch to help: Hannah Hidalgo, Sonia Citron and Maddy Westbeld are all back. I've got no doubt that Miles will come back on all cylinders and get along with Hidalgo to create a backcourt that drives and dishes and steals (Miles is adept at picking pockets and rebounding). Plus, Citron will be the glue.

How fast will Koval acclimate to the college game? That and the team meshing are the Irish biggest challenges in my mind. Stay tuned.
Not gonna lie I listened to some off season interviews with Olivia Miles and Hannah Hidalgo today and I'm 1000 percent sold on their team. Lol. In one Olivia Miles interview she talked about how she was cleared late last season but it didn't make sense for her to waste a year of eligibility. That kinda put to ease my concerns about her health. She's also a pretty great interviewee, super well thought out answers. True point guard answers. It was funny she was kinda going on about how great it's going to be playing alongside Hannah, and Soni, and Maddy, and .... she's like whoever the 5th starter coach puts out there.lol. I was hoping she dropped a clue but I think that was from the interview way early in the summer. Then I listened to Hannah Hildalgo. She really has a great head on her shoulders as well. But what stood out is the interviewer asked what would be the next step or goal for next season and she said without hesitation or awkwardness, a national championship. Straight dawg answer from HH. Teams out there are hungry and coming. I'm definitely worried about the Huskies.

Another thing about Notre Dame I forgot to add, something I picked up on the interviews, is that they feel a bit snake bitten the past couple years as well. I know Husky fans feel it but the Irish definitely have had some rough injuries at inopportune times. And even aside from Miles a lot of their role players have been hurt. So similar to the Huskies I think they are excited to potentially have a full roster

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not gonna lie I listened to some off season interviews with Olivia Miles and Hannah Hidalgo today and I'm 1000 percent sold on their team. Lol. In one Olivia Miles interview she talked about how she was cleared late last season but it didn't make sense for her to waste a year of eligibility. That kinda put to ease my concerns about her health. She's also a pretty great interviewee, super well thought out answers. True point guard answers. It was funny she was kinda going on about how great it's going to be playing alongside Hannah, and Soni, and Maddy, and .... she's like whoever the 5th starter coach puts out there.lol. I was hoping she dropped a clue but I think that was from the interview way early in the summer. Then I listened to Hannah Hildalgo. She really has a great head on her shoulders as well. But what stood out is the interviewer asked what would be the next step or goal for next season and she said without hesitation or awkwardness, a national championship. Straight dawg answer from HH. Teams out there are hungry and coming. I'm definitely worried about the Huskies.
And every team that faces ND should worry about them too.

Reaction Score
Well, fortunately we will get to see at least these regular season matchups between what most folks on here seem to project as the 7 most talented teams,

SCar at UCLA
U$C at UConn
Notre Dame @U$C
UConn @ SCar
UConn v Notre Dame

UCLA v. U$C home and home
SCar v. Texas home and home
LSU at SCar (can't duck those conference games Kim)
Texas at LSU

Feel free to add.
Scar vs NC State neutral court game
ND @ NC State

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member