Which team has the most talented roster in terms of top 8 players. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Which team has the most talented roster in terms of top 8 players.

Reaction Score
I really like Delaney Thomas, as she may get more playing time this year with their starting big leaving.
I was surprised Geno didn't recruit Thomas. She looks like his sort of player and seemed interested. I guess the scholarship limit was just too tight.

South Carolina probably has the best 8, Notre Dames top 4 is pretty darn impressive
I agree on both counts. Only thing I'd add is that UConn's top 4 (or 5) (or 6) (or 7) may be the easiest to underestimate. Not Paige, of course. But how many folks will overlook Ash and KK. Those two are definitely primed for a sophomore leap. Paige just gave them a season-long, intensive tutorial in winning against tough opponents, after all. And Kaitlyn has been taking tougher opponents by surprise her entire career.

Reaction Score
Im just pumped that the Pack is included in this exercise. I think State lacks the superstar some of these rosters have such as a Paige, juju, Hildago, miles or others. However I do think State’s pieces fit well together. South Carolina probably has the best 8, Notre Dames top 4 is pretty darn impressive - I’m curious to see how Miles and Hannah play together.

If James can clean up some shot selection issues and become slightly more efficient she could perhaps enter in that truly elite conversation with some of those others. She was streaky last year, when on she was fantastic but at times took some questionable shots and got in early foul troubles. Would also love to see Rivers improve her outside jumper.
The fact that Saniyah Rivers hasn’t improved her outside shooting is mind blowing. I have to figure she has worked on it. When she was at SC we would cringe every time she would be open because she would jack it up and most of the time be nowhere near the rim. Absolute elite athlete but she’s going to have to find her shot to make it long at the next level.

Reaction Score
So the teams in the table for the most part are from two list: ESPN's way too early top 25 and World Exposure Reports Way too early top 25. I actually just wanted to do the top 10 so I should probably remove tcu. I was mostly in agreement with ESPN's list but swapped Baylor and Oklahoma. World exposure report had Duke in their top 10 but I just didn't think their rotation was comparable to the other teams though I like their roster and believe in Kara Lawson

Of the elite 8 teams last year, just raw numbers, those teams had about 9 players averaging double figure minutes. But obviously raw numbers doesn't account for injuries or suspensions. So a team like LSU had 9 including Katarie Poole and SaMyah Smith. I think both would've been in the rotation if healthy but maybe Del Rosario wouldn't have been. Similarly UConn had about 10 but it's hard to gauge how much Ashlyn Shade would've played if Azzi and Caroline were healthy. Iowa and nc state mostly played 7. So I think top 8 is a reasonable rotation to compare teams.

Lastly of the teams listed, UCLA had the most double figure scorers in their top 8. I know scoring isn't everything, but honestly their 8 jumped out to me more than any others.

The title of the post said most talented roster, not who had the stats. The two are related but not the same.

Reaction Score
The fact that Saniyah Rivers hasn’t improved her outside shooting is mind blowing. I have to figure she has worked on it. When she was at SC we would cringe every time she would be open because she would jack it up and most of the time be nowhere near the rim. Absolute elite athlete but she’s going to have to find her shot to make it long at the next level.
What? She has improved it even if it is still not good numbers. She did talk about focusing on it during her last off-season but it didn't really show.

Freshman: 1-31 / 3.2%
Sophomore: 14-65 / 21.5%
Junior: 25-96 / 26%

I think she can have a successful career if she bumps it up a tad. If she increases it another 4% she'll be shooting it around 30%, which isn't great, but it is serviceable.

Reaction Score
The title of the post said most talented roster, not who had the stats. The two are related but not the same.
"Most talented" is hard to define.

Is it physical characteristics? Well partially. Speed, strength, jumping and endurance are important. Height is not actually a physical "ability" but it can be a factor. So, let's say physical "characteristics" rather than physical "ability." Hand-eye coordination? Vision?

Is it learned skills? Skill to dribble, to shoot, to make pinpoint passes, to set up and execute a proper pick and roll, etc. These are skills that have been learned. (And can be improved from year to year)

A proper mix of physical ability and skill equals talent. But how do you measure the combination? About all you have are statistics and eyeball tests but both can create wrong impressions. Stats may not take into account a player's role on their team. Then, how do you decide between a player who has very solid stats across the board to one who has superlative stats in only one or two areas? Steals, blocked shots are very nice but they certainly don't tell the whole story on defense.

It's tough.

Reaction Score
Absolute elite athlete but she’s going to have to find her shot to make it long at the next level.
Perimeter shooting is not that easy to find. It is often, but not always, primarily a matter of repetitions. But there is also a frame of mind that has to be developed. But I have confidence in Saniyah. She is a remarkably inventive personality and that may be all it takes for her to break through the 30% barrier.

Reaction Score
Really looking forward to SCar at UCLA for nay reasons.that might be the game where we see us playing a big (like Dauda or Edwards) at the 3 for added rebounding along with an outside threat.

Of course, all of our Bigs can RUN. That is perhaps the best counter to Betts. Run and run and run. Put her off her normal game and wear her down.

I’ll also be interested to see what kindof crowd shows up in LA for a game between two highly ranked contenders.

I just don't see much reason for SCar to play three bigs together except to manufacture playing time.

It doesn't look like it would be the best lineup offensively and I do not otherwise think the team will struggle to defend or rebound.

Reaction Score
I just don't see much reason for SCar to play three bigs together except to manufacture playing time.

It doesn't look like it would be the best lineup offensively and I do not otherwise think the team will struggle to defend or rebound.
I’m only talking about a few minutes in most games so that we are used to running it on those rare occasions when it might be needed against a team with quality bigs like a UCLA

Reaction Score
Saniya’s stroke is definitely improved.

As mentioned previously her 3s :
1-32 3%
14-65 21%
25-96 26%

But also FTs
12-24 50%
45-72 62%
111-151 73%

She’s taken on a larger role each year and last year her and Aziaha James were often the ones taking grenade bombs at the end of the shot clock when plays broke down which certainly effects your FG %. For example, Madison Hayes shoots a great % from 3 but she also is never asked to create her own shot, everything is a set shot for the most part and comes within the flow of the offense. Rivers’ athleticism means she is asked to make something out of nothing at times.

Her mid range game seemed great last year. If she can get that 3 % to something like 30-33% it would take her game to another level. She is a fantastic defender. Willing passer. Team player and has an infectious attitude.

This year she will be playing on the wing rather than on the ball from everything I’ve read. Will be interesting to see how that changes her game and shot selection. I think she could be one heck of a match up problem as a small ball 4. Not sure if Wes will have her more at the 3 or the 4

Reaction Score
I appreciate this point. The title and opening post could've been better/clearer. Best rotation and most talented, I agree are slightly different distinctions. But Id still probably go with UCLA any way it's worded.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom