Which team has the most talented roster in terms of top 8 players. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which team has the most talented roster in terms of top 8 players.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I know we are probably still a bit away from schedule releases but I like that a lot of these teams are playing each other. I'm not as high on the acc this upcoming year so it's great Notre Dame will play UConn and Texas. I think Notre Dame is up there in terms of talent. I think it was great to see Westbeld and Citron be really aggressive last year. They both r so skilled in their position. I think my question is how does that look this year with so many other pieces.

Yeah, SC definitely has great depth. It sounds wild to say the second team would be a top 7 lineup. I feel like Husky fans say this a lot as well. But looking at the second five of SC it's really good. They are so young so it kinda depends on growth but I'm a fan of pretty much all of them. I think Fulwiley, Tessa, Edwards, and Feigin start and probably average double figures for 90 percent of teams. They would be Top 15 for sure.
Well, with Southern Cal and ND just announcing a two-year, home-and-home series, I think we'll/you'll get a chance to see how the pieces fit on ND within a short time frame in late November/early December, plus how the USC Top 8 match up against what I'll consider an ND ten (those listed, plus KK Bransford and Emma Risch). Stay tuned on this one...should be fun. :D

Reaction Score
A lot of Kiki's in Cali/Big 10.

Love the ND USC game. They should both dominate a majority of their conference games so having 4 or 5 real tough OCC games is amazing.

Of course every team has a lot to figure out. But I was thinking LSU is an interesting collection of talent. Because u have so much scoring in the starting lineup do you just start Poa? And then upfront I know some weren't too impressed but does it make sense to start Del Rosario?

Lastly, I love Iowa States potential starting 5. They are a bit light on the summer content but looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Well, with Southern Cal and ND just announcing a two-year, home-and-home series, I think we'll/you'll get a chance to see how the pieces fit on ND within a short time frame in late November/early December, plus how the USC Top 8 match up against what I'll consider an ND ten (those listed, plus KK Bransford and Emma Risch). Stay tuned on this one...should be fun. :D

While I kind of understand the long-standing football rivalry between Notre Dame and Southern Cal (not a geographic rivalry in any sense), when I read/hear that it's a rivalry between the 2 schools in all sports, it just doesn't move the needle as I'm not even sure they play each other annually in any sport other than football. This is definitely great for WBB as both programs are on the upswing.

Reaction Score
As a UCLA fan, I appreciate the high ranking. A couple of notes:
1. Charlisse Leger-Walker has an unknown timetable for a return to play. So, she may, or may not, factor at all.
2. Kendall Dudley, incoming freshman, over Angela Dugalic, 5th year senior, is an interesting call.
3. Other than Betts and Barker, the Bruins are thin in the post, and may play smaller much of the time.
4. Predicting how players will mesh into new arrangements is a crapshoot, and there are a lot of new parts here, so...

I, obviously, pay more attention to crosstown USC than some other teams. I think their talent level is extremely high (love TVO and Iriafen), but I am not sold on Juju's ability to make other players better, or for other players to complement her in a meaningful way. Last season, USC sometimes looked better with Watkins off the floor, especially when teams forced her to her off-hand. I think the best version of USC is one where Juju A) works on the off-hand, because word is out, B) balances getting her teammates involved without losing her offensive lethality. She's a generational talent, but if she's driving to the hoop in traffic for the foul on every play it won't matter how good her teammates are.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
1. Charlisse Leger-Walker has an unknown timetable for a return to play. So, she may, or may not, factor at all.
2. Kendall Dudley, incoming freshman, over Angela Dugalic, 5th year senior, is an interesting call.
3. Other than Betts and Barker, the Bruins are thin in the post, and may play smaller much of the time.
4. Predicting how players will mesh into new arrangements is a crapshoot, and there are a lot of new parts here, so...

I, obviously, pay more attention to crosstown USC than some other teams. I think their talent level is extremely high (love TVO and Iriafen), but I am not sold on Juju's ability to make other players better, or for other players to complement her in a meaningful way. Last season, USC sometimes looked better with Watkins off the floor, especially when teams forced her to her off-hand. I think the best version of USC is one where Juju A) works on the off-hand, because word is out, B) balances getting her teammates involved without losing her offensive lethality. She's a generational talent, but if she's driving to the hoop in traffic for the foul on every play it won't matter how good her teammates are.

Say, what? You do know that Timea Gardiner transferred from Oregon State to UCLA, right? I think UCLA has the deepest frontcourt in the country.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Athleticism is the key. In that regard South Carolina is the leader. They can play you straight up....run on you....out 3 point you.....and out defense you. It's the entire package not some single statistic that wins in the end. South Carolina might not go undefeated this coming season, but I believe they will be the last team standing. They love defense....you have to have a talented defense to win....South Carolina has the most talent in that department. End of story.

Reaction Score
I am not sold on Juju's ability to make other players better, or for other players to complement her in a meaningful way. Last season, USC sometimes looked better with Watkins off the floor, especially when teams forced her to her off-hand. I think the best version of USC is one where Juju A) works on the off-hand, because word is out, B) balances getting her teammates involved without losing her offensive lethality. She's a generational talent, but if she's driving to the hoop in traffic for the foul on every play it won't matter how good her teammates are.
This is what I thought about last season, too, especially the first part of the season and the games against ucla in particular. You’re right that making her teammates better is the next hurdle for her. It seemed like Juju and Forbes began to work together better in March.

Ordinarily, we look for a sophomore leap, but the pressure on Juju is going to be intense this season. It’s not only going to be about broadening her already impressive offensive game. Can she lead a team past the elite eight instead of just dragging them along behind her? The contrast in the UConn game between Juju and Paige was striking in just this respect.

Coach Gottlieb has surrounded Juju with a lot more talent than last season, but without Forbes the challenge to lead this new team will be interesting to watch. I don’t think she can turn pro until after her junior year, so she has at least two seasons to get there. That she’ll only have Marshall and Iriafen for one more season is an added twist for her.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the post. As others mentioned, I actually think Timea Gardiner is great/like super talented/steal of the portal. So her, Betts, Barker, and as u mentioned Dugalic is pretty stout to me. I was super high on Dugalic last year and still am as I realize she was recovering from injury, but she shot 35 percent from the floor last season and struggled with shot selection in my eyes. But I get what ur saying choosing a 18 yr old vs a 22 to be 23 year old is interesting. Shows how deep UCLA is though.
As for CLW, she got injured in January and had the surgery in February. A year out would be a bit tough to come back and fit in. 9 months on the flip side would be the first month of the season,and maybe there's a middle ground. Ashley Owusu this past year started playing games on January 14, and almost lead Penn State to the tournament. So, idk even if she got back in January, and imo there will be some in conference games against weak opponents that she'll be able to get her groove back.
I hear you on juju, but I do think playing with better talent will help. She's playing with arguably a lottery pick in the draft next year. Also Kennedy Smith is a dawg and they were somewhat rivals in high school. I just think the team is a bit more balanced this year. I think Juju is a scorer so I think she should stay super aggressive. I think the difference will be her number won't be called as much.

Reaction Score
Athleticism is the key. In that regard South Carolina is the leader. They can play you straight up....run on you....out 3 point you.....and out defense you. It's the entire package not some single statistic that wins in the end. South Carolina might not go undefeated this coming season, but I believe they will be the last team standing. They love defense....you have to have a talented defense to win....South Carolina has the most talent in that department. End of story.

Reaction Score
Say, what? You do know that Timea Gardiner transferred from Oregon State to UCLA, right? I think UCLA has the deepest frontcourt in the country.
I KNEW I WAS GOING TO GET DRAGGED FOR THAT.
Operative word here was "Post" as in Center. Power forwards/stretch 4s/wings... got lots of those in the front court, yes. Great ones. Love Timea Gardiner, Janiyah Barker, Angela Dugalic, Gabriela Jaquez, and am looking forward to Kendall Dudley, and Zania Socka-Nguemen, and am hoping for some development from Amanda Muse.
Yes, awesome.
I just think there is a UCLA with Lauren Betts on the floor, and one without. And, probably, there will be two (or more) different styles of play. Call it "Venti" (Betts in), "Grande" (Barker, Gardiner, Dugalic... say), and "Tall" (No Betts, no Barker, no Socka,).
Supa deep. I get it.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I KNEW I WAS GOING TO GET DRAGGED FOR THAT.
Operative word here was "Post" as in Center. Power forwards/stretch 4s/wings... got lots of those in the front court, yes. Great ones. Love Timea Gardiner, Janiyah Barker, Angela Dugalic, Gabriela Jaquez, and am looking forward to Kendall Dudley, and Zania Socka-Nguemen, and am hoping for some development from Amanda Muse.
Yes, awesome.
I just think there is a UCLA with Lauren Betts on the floor, and one without. And, probably, there will be two (or more) different styles of play. Call it "Venti" (Betts in), "Grande" (Barker, Gardiner, Dugalic... say), and "Tall" (No Betts, no Barker, no Socka,).
Supa deep. I get it.

Which teams do you believe are not "thin" in the "post"? If you start with Betts as a "Center", not a lot of teams have anybody equivalent; let alone do they have a backup as good as their starter. When most teams' starting Center gets into foul trouble, they play with a much smaller lineup; UCLA will never have that problem; they will always be able to put two talented 6'3+ players on the court simultaneously.

Reaction Score
Which teams do you believe are not "thin" in the "post"? If you start with Betts as a "Center", not a lot of teams have anybody equivalent; let alone do they have a backup as good as their starter. When most teams' starting Center gets into foul trouble, they play with a much smaller lineup; UCLA will never have that problem; they will always be able to put two talented 6'3+ players on the court simultaneously.
South Carolina has 6'6 player in Tac and 6'5 Walker as backups , but they also have Watkins 6'3, Feagin 6'3 to go along with Dauda 6'4 and long stretch fours in Kitts 6'3 and Joyce Edwards 6'3. All of these are not only long but have a type of athleticism that can cause havoc for any of these top teams

Reaction Score
South Carolina has 6'6 player in Tac and 6'5 Walker as backups , but they also have Watkins 6'3, Feagin 6'3 to go along with Dauda 6'4 and long stretch fours in Kitts 6'3 and Joyce Edwards 6'3. All of these are not only long but have a type of athleticism that can cause havoc for any of these top teams
Slight correction, Kitts is listed as 6'2". But that doesn't change your point.

Reaction Score
Really looking forward to SCar at UCLA for nay reasons.that might be the game where we see us playing a big (like Dauda or Edwards) at the 3 for added rebounding along with an outside threat.

Of course, all of our Bigs can RUN. That is perhaps the best counter to Betts. Run and run and run. Put her off her normal game and wear her down.

I’ll also be interested to see what kindof crowd shows up in LA for a game between two highly ranked contenders.

Reaction Score
Of course, all of our Bigs can RUN. That is perhaps the best counter to Betts. Run and run and run. Put her off her normal game and wear her down.
There's some truth in this, though I noticed that Betts improved her foot speed in the half court a lot last season. I'm not sure she's improved her length of the court speed yet, but that may be coming too.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

And, besides South Carolina? That's kind of my point. To say UCLA is thin in the post needs to be taken into context.

SC is loaded, but Tac (coming off an injury in high school) and Edwards are true freshmen. UCLA's frontcourt is proven at the collegiate level already.

Reaction Score
I think there is a 47.134567% chance the National Champion in 2025 does NOT come from any of these teams......and it wouldn't surprise me.

Reaction Score
The alternative to this option is to do what USCw did to UCLA last season: run Juju directly at Betts and the rest of the bigs all game long. They won both games, and Juju shot 16 FTs in the first and 17 in the second. The entire starting lineup either fouled out or ended up with 4 PFs and she scored 32 and 33 points. This even though, other than Juju and Forbes, they were outclassed at every other position. I'm pretty sure Dawn has more than a couple of athletes capable of doing this.

Reaction Score
The alternative to this option is to do what USCw did to UCLA last season: run Juju directly at Betts and the rest of the bigs all game long. They won both games, and Juju shot 16 FTs in the first and 17 in the second. The entire starting lineup either fouled out or ended up with 4 PFs and she scored 32 and 33 points. This even though, other than Juju and Forbes, they were outclassed at every other position. I'm pretty sure Dawn has more than a couple of athletes capable of doing this.
I think Juju is an elite at drawing fouls, more so than any player in the country. It was probably her strongest skill last year. Not sure that strategy would work for anyone else quite as well.

Reaction Score
I think Juju is an elite at drawing fouls, more so than any player in the country. It was probably her strongest skill last year. Not sure that strategy would work for anyone else quite as well.
I didn’t recommend it for any team. Just SC. They have more than a dozen awesome athletes and probably outclass UCLA at almost every position.

Reaction Score
I didn’t recommend it for any team. Just SC. They have more than a dozen awesome athletes and probably outclass UCLA at almost every position.
They aren't gonna get the Juju whistle is all I'm saying. Juju plays sometimes just to get fouled, SC players don't do that overall. They can beat them without resorting to that stuff, imo BECAUSE they outclass them at almost every position.

Reaction Score
I think there is a 47.134567% chance the National Champion in 2025 does NOT come from any of these teams......and it wouldn't surprise me.
This is what I really like about the sport. Such a deep field, and it's unpredictable. I would've never guessed NC State would make a run all the way to the final 4. Their pieces just fit so well and their back court just came back super improved and ready to compete for a natty. So I think there are teams that could most certainly make a run. Duke is one team that didn't do much in the portal but could make a jump due to their freshman class and improvement of players. I feel like Reagan Richardson had a taste of what it's like to lead and play at an elite level in big games. She could build on that. I really like Delaney Thomas, as she may get more playing time this year with their starting big leaving. Another team like that is Kansas State. I worry about her overall health, but Ayoka Lee has been doing summer workouts. I honestly felt she was the best big in the country as a junior. Now she‘s an upper upper class man. I also think they have good pieces around her. They were pretty great to start the year and even earned the ability to host. So definitely a team to watch out for.
That being said, I'd be pretty shocked if a team not listed won the whole thing.

Reaction Score
Im just pumped that the Pack is included in this exercise. I think State lacks the superstar some of these rosters have such as a Paige, juju, Hildago, miles or others. However I do think State’s pieces fit well together. South Carolina probably has the best 8, Notre Dames top 4 is pretty darn impressive - I’m curious to see how Miles and Hannah play together.

If James can clean up some shot selection issues and become slightly more efficient she could perhaps enter in that truly elite conversation with some of those others. She was streaky last year, when on she was fantastic but at times took some questionable shots and got in early foul troubles. Would also love to see Rivers improve her outside jumper.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom