Which school will be next to get a P5 invite? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Which school will be next to get a P5 invite?

Which school will be next to get a P5 invite?

• Boise St

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • BYU

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Cincinnati

Votes: 52 41.9%
  • Houston

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Nevada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UConn

Votes: 51 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look it up again before calling anybody wrong.

Since 2002 UConn is 5-10 vs. ACC (non-BE).

Deal with the facts and maybe we can put some credence in any of your other ramblings.

No one needs to believe anything I've ever said. Especially trolls like you.

I provided links for all the other stats. Go look at them. You can't deny any of those facts about UConn on TV and revenues.

Reaction Score
Why do you do this? No one here claimed UConn is excellent at football. Or mediocre.
We claimed we more than held our own against Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt. That's incontrovertible. We claimed we put plenty of talent in the NFL, more than the teams I've listed. Why do those claims bug you?

He's exactly right but again, nobody wants to hear the truth. Its the reason why Louisville was such a easy pick for the ACC. Louisville fans were/are passionate about their football and basketball teams and it was very visible to the rest of the country. The ESPN article summed it up nicely.

Reaction Score
He's exactly right but again, nobody wants to hear the truth. Its the reason why Louisville was such a easy pick for the ACC. Louisville fans were/are passionate about their football and basketball teams and it was very visible to the rest of the country. The ESPN article summed it up nicely.

and also because the ACC didn't give a about your academic standing...

Reaction Score

You have a hard time dealing with facts.

Reaction Score
You have a hard time dealing with facts.

I have been stating facts all along. Facts that almost every other school, news organization, and fans (except maybe WVU) understands. You havent stated anything except your opinion that Uconn is worth a ton of money and the ACC and B1G are fools for passing it up.

Reaction Score
I have been stating facts all along. Facts that almost every other school, news organization, and fans (except maybe WVU) understands. You havent stated anything except your opinion that Uconn is worth a ton of money and the ACC and B1G are fools for passing it up.

Everytime the facts are presented, you run away and hide:

1. UConn's licensing and tier3 revenue: $24.8m, Louisville's was $12m before jumping to $16m in the last report.
2. SNY's jump in Connecticut from $1.60 per subscriber to $2.50 after adding UConn
3. All the state's cable systems adding SNY to Basic cable after adding UConn.

I also gave you a link showing how the UConn women bumped a Syracuse men's bball game against Providence off of SNY. There's a lot of other anecdotal stuff like that, like UConn sports events being the highest rated shows not only on cable, but also broadcast television as well during primetime.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
From a UC fan here.

1) We are observing a non-equilibrium environment...if we simply took the 66 best athletic programs weighted towards football, both UC and UConn are in...the problem is that you have a few big programs (tO$U, UT, etc.) that make the majority of money for the conferences.

2) With each conference having vastly differing interests based on their composition, we are ending up in this weird morass where what is "logical" and "what is going to happen" are two distinct things.

3) Geography plays a huge role. IMO, the ACC taking Louisville was a defensive maneuver to prevent the Big 12 from expanding to 12 via UC/UL which would have been decent from a financial standpoint but would have shored up the geography of the B12 (WVU, UC, UL all together). In the interest of self-preservation, they took a horrible cultural fit and even worse academic fit (UCONN > UC (Arts are amazing, Engineering is pretty good, Science is solid...business...yea...)> UL overall academically).

I personally think the B12 would love to take UC/UConn but BYU is a better geographic fit and WVU needs a travel partner (you can fly into Cincinnati, play, drive to WVU, play, and fly out of Pittsburgh).

I hope for your guys sake that I'm right, and that ND is forced to join the ACC and they take UConn as #16 or that Mizzou/UConn to the B1G goes through and UC ends up in the SEC...sports are but a minor part of Universities but I've seen first hand what a good football program has done for UC pride and it would be a shame to lose that because ESPN wanted to play God. So for all of our sakes, let's hope that we both move up soon! Go UC and go UCONN! (oh, and while you are at it...I'm sorry about PP...you guys always scared me on the schedule before he took over).
My feeling still holds that UConn gets into the B!G although my heart wants them in the ACC. The reason I'm still optimistic is men's and women's bb. Football was never the decision maker. The B!G is just waiting to see how well the men's bb team does this season. If it does as well as predicted, KO would have proven that UConn men's bb success did not end with JC. Unlike the ACC which is teated to ESPN, the B!G's network changes the ball game for the B!G. Their expansion is about eyeballs and content. The ACC is about making football relevant.

UConn would shore up the northeast market for the B!G during the basketball season. Anything the football program does would be icing on the cake. Taking UConn would propel the B!G onto equal footing with the ACC basketball wise. The hype surrounding a number 1 conference is considerably greater than a number 2 conference. Certainly football is the driving force for CR. But bb creates a lot of revenue as well. Unless the B!G gets Texas/ND, it will be perceived as the second best football conference with any other addition. Those two schools are very unlikely willing to move to the B!G. So the next best way to add value to the B!G is to improve bb and that is much more a reality for them than football.

Meanwhile we have to hope the AAC stays relevant for a few years. Good luck to you guys.

Reaction Score
Everytime the facts are presented, you run away and hide:

1. UConn's licensing and tier3 revenue: $24.8m, Louisville's was $12m before jumping to $16m in the last report.
2. SNY's jump in Connecticut from $1.60 per subscriber to $2.50 after adding UConn
3. All the state's cable systems adding SNY to Basic cable after adding UConn.

I also gave you a link showing how the UConn women bumped a Syracuse men's bball game against Providence off of SNY. There's a lot of other anecdotal stuff like that, like UConn sports events being the highest rated shows not only on cable, but also broadcast television as well during primetime.

1. You keep throwing licensing and rights in the same bucket. They are different, rights for Uconn are only about $8mm. $24mm was for 2011, the year you won the National Championship in basketball. 2012 was $22mm. You are also being paid for BB and not football which was clearly stated as a reason why Louisville was so attractive to the ACC
2. Great we have already covered that Conn alone couldn't make enough money to increase the payout to the ACC and make Uconn attractive enough to add as an extra team
3. The ACC is already on Yes. Same type of channel as SNY, just for the Mets.

Great, you have an example where SNY bumped a standard Cuse game off for a highly anticipated top ranked Uconn vs top ranked Notre Dame Womens matchup where Uconn is one of the few schools in the country where Womens BB is an actual draw. That doesnt prove anything except a channel is choosing a big matchup over a standard game (providence was also banned from post season play)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Short term, where the criteria may be nothing more than simply looking at the AP football poll, Louisville was a good choice. It gave the FSU and Clemsons of the ACC something that looked more like them and less like the North Carolina contingent.

Long-term, meh.

Academically, there's nothing to separate Louisville from West Virginia or Mississippi State and if you want to build out a conference network, best of luck doing that with a school that only draws half the water in one Kentucky city.

Reaction Score
1. You keep throwing licensing and rights in the same bucket. They are different, rights for Uconn are only about $8mm. $24mm was for 2011, the year you won the National Championship in basketball. 2012 was $22mm. You are also being paid for BB and not football which was clearly stated as a reason why Louisville was so attractive to the ACC
2. Great we have already covered that Conn alone couldn't make enough money to increase the payout to the ACC and make Uconn attractive enough to add as an extra team
3. The ACC is already on Yes. Same type of channel as SNY, just for the Mets.

Great, you have an example where SNY bumped a standard Cuse game off for a highly anticipated top ranked Uconn vs top ranked Notre Dame Womens matchup where Uconn is one of the few schools in the country where Womens BB is an actual draw. That doesnt prove anything except a channel is choosing a big matchup over a standard game (providence was also banned from post season play)

Wow, what a mess this post is.

1. The questions are about UConn as a TV draw. That's the whole discussion. Whether UConn adds TV value. It doesn't matter where the money comes from, it only matters that it comes in. AND, you're wrong about IMG. That's not the extent of the TV deal money. UConn has side deals with SNY and others quite outside IMG.

2. No, we haven't covered that UConn doesn't bring in enough from Conn. to make a difference. That's what YOU figured out when you made a calculation based on SNY's revenues. But your continued ignorance of how Tier 3 works means that you can't properly run the calculations. If you understood that the SNY fee bump is for the worst games UConn plays, then you'd at least be able to understand what tier 3 means. People (not only myself) have explained this to you over and over, but you continue to think that the worst UConn games constitute the extent of its value.

3. How much was YES bumped up per subscriber in Conn. when YES added the ACC? How much was it bumped up in subscriber in NY? RI? Mass.? Answer those questions. And, for that matter, was YES added to basic cable in those markets? (I'll answer the last one: NO!)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wow, what a mess this post is.

3. How much was YES bumped up per subscriber in Conn. when YES added the ACC? How much was it bumped up in subscriber in NY? RI? Mass.? Answer those questions. And, for that matter, was YES added to basic cable in those markets? (I'll answer the last one: NO!)

It would be blasphemy for a cable system to add The YES Network in New England any further north or east than Connecticut, even in the Berkshires. Besides, Central-Eastern MA does not care enough in general about Boston College or the ACC to risk having to experience even the remotest of possibilities for Yankee games to be broadcast.

To put it more succinctly:
Overwhelming Anti- Yankee sentiment = No YES Network
Ambivalence towards college sports = No Yes Network

Reaction Score
ESPN is a lot like my cable channels.

I have 150 channels with nothing good on to watch some nights.

ESPN has a lot of inventory and televises 450 football games a year...but folks turn in to watch the compelling match ups and/or story lines

There are marquis matches and there is filler.

I will watch Alabama-LSU, Alabama vs Johnny Football, Texas-Oklahoma, Ohio State-Michigan, Notre Dame-Michigan State, Oregon-Stanford, and many more.

I won't be watching Cincy vs Illinois, Toledo vs Mizzou, Old Dominion vs Maryland, GT vs Duke..and many more.

Reaction Score
This has been my point as well and this article just backs it up. ESPN, the ACC and the B1G dont currently think Uconn can add money to the pot.

"Larry", your comments are the biggest indictment that you don't have a complete grasp as to how these valuations are made. I was in the process of copying and pasting your comments, but decided that I have better things to do.

Unfortunately for UCONN, it's not about the ACC deciding to add UCONN, but rather whether ESPN wants to undermine a block of content it paid pennies on the dollar for, and then pay a premium for content it already owns (UCONN's 1st and 2nd tier rights). As you may or may not know, if UCONN and one other select team (Cincy, Houston, etc.) departs, the AAC contract is nullified, which for now, isn't in ESPN's best interest. UCONN would have been better served if NBC had gotten the deal. At least in that scenario ESPN would be negotiating for content it doesn't already own. So, "Larry", suggesting that UCONN doesn't have value if ESPN isn't pressuring the ACC to add them (and visa versa) is a FALSE argument. Perhaps the only way ESPN would advocate for the move is if UCONN was being seriously considered by the BIG and they felt they were going to be a minority rights owner in the upcoming B1G negotiations, or some other disruptive force like ND joining the ACC (unlikely), the Big 12 falling apart, the ACC falling apart, the AAC falling apart, or D4.

Also, it's unlikely the ACC will ever have a network (and stop calling the Raycom "bunny ears" network an equivalent), which is unfortunate for UCONN because it does add value to a conference that has a legitimate network. Since the ACC and Big 12 don't have networks there is more pressure to add brand names to grow revenue per school. By the way your argument that BC and Syracuse overlap UCONN's markets in substantive way is also incorrect. Anyhow, let's forget about carriage fees for a moment. If you compare the apples to apples licensing revenue of Syracuse, PITT and even Louisville, you'll find UCONN commands a greater amount, this is not in dispute. So, it follows that adding UCONN would not bring down revenue any more than adding Louisville, Syracuse or PITT (and don't say new markets, because ESPN already owned the content and distributes in the Louisville). Also, Louisville was added primarily for strategic reasons and not about pumping up the contract.

The two greatest impediments standing in the way of UCONN joining the ACC are ESPN and ACC politics, and not UCONN's value vis-a-vis other ACC schools.

Reaction Score
Seriously you are so far out of your depth on this, it's puzzling. Syracuse is in Central NY. BC gets beat by rodeo in Boston when it's playing football (no, that's not a joke). UConn's market (I'm not talking NY or Mass.) is 20th in the country.
S.M.W. COLLEGE FOOTBALL WRAP; T.V. RATINGS FOR (ALMOST) EVERY GAME THIS SEASON (2012) ABC CBS NBC FOX ESPN ESPN2

Listed Them from Most watched to least watched for Rutgers, U Conn, Syracuse, B.C., Pitt.

1. Pitt @ Notre Dame 11/3/12 ................NBC 6.0 M
2. Notre Dame@ B.C. 11/10/12............. ABC 5.8 M
3. USC @ Syracuse 9/8/12 ....................ABC 4.7 M
4. Miami @ B.C. 9/1/12 .........................ABC 3.5 M
5. Pitt @ Cincinnati 9/16/12 ..................ESPN 2.2 M
6. Louisville @ Rutgers 11/29/12 ...........ESPN 1.7 M
7. Pitt @ Syracuse 10/5/12 .................... ESPN 1.4 M
8. Rutgers @ USF 9/13/12 .....................ESPN 1.3 M
9. U Conn @ Syracuse 10/19/12 ............ESPN 1.0 M
10. Cincinnati @ U Conn 12/1/12 ..........ABC 1.0 M
11. Pitt @ U Conn 11/9/12 ......................ESPN2 931 K
12. Clemson @ B.C. 9/29/12 ..................ESPN2 891 K
13. B.C. @ FSU 10/13/12 ........................ESPN2 672 K
14. Rutgers @ Pitt 11/24/12 ....................ESPN2 614 K
15. Syracuse @ Temple 11/23/12 ............ESPN2 536 K
16. Syracuse @ Missouri 11/17/12 ...........ESPNU 448 K
17. Pitt @ USF 12/1/12 ............................ESPN2 349 K
18. Army @ Rutgers 11/10/12 .................ESPNU 122 K

Notre Dame's 2012 Football schedule and viewership, from most viewed to least viewed.
1. Notre Dame @ U.S.C. 11/24/12............ ABC 16.1 M
2. Notre Dame @ Oklahoma 10/27/12.....ABC 8.6 M
3. Michigan @ Notre Dame 9/22/12 ........NBC 6.4 M
4. Pitt @ Notre Dame 11/3/12....................NBC 6.0 M
5. Notre Dame @ B.C. 11/10/12.................ABC 5.8 M
6. Stanford @ Notre Dame 10/13/12.........NBC 5.2 M
7. Notre Dame @ Michigan St 9/15/12......ABC 5.0 M
8. Miami @ Notre Dame 10/6/12...............NBC 3.7 M
9. B.Y.U. @ Notre Dame 10/20/12.............NBC 3.7 M
10. Perdue @ Notre Dame 9/8/12..............NBC 2.8 M
11. Notre Dame @ Navy 9/1/12...................CBS 1.9 M
12. Wake Forest @ Notre Dame 11/17/12....NBC 1.7 M

Reaction Score
S.M.W. COLLEGE FOOTBALL WRAP; T.V. RATINGS FOR (ALMOST) EVERY GAME THIS SEASON (2012) ABC CBS NBC FOX ESPN ESPN2

Listed Them from Most watched to least watched for Rutgers, U Conn, Syracuse, B.C., Pitt.

Notre Dame's 2012 Football schedule and viewership, from most viewed to least viewed.

Sigh. Cable subs! Fees.

Reaction Score

The only thing you have proven is that Notre Dame, FSU, Clemson, and Miami can draw TV fans. You can sub BC for any other team in the ACC and get the same or higher (likely higher) ratings.

Reaction Score
At 35-5 over the last 3 seasons, and ranked #5 right now, they are a national brand and people are watching.

This is not your father's Stanford.
They have not even sold out their home opener. Two days away. Last and only national championship was 1926. National brand because of academic prestige and success in other sports, sure.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Short term, where the criteria may be nothing more than simply looking at the AP football poll, Louisville was a good choice. It gave the FSU and Clemsons of the ACC something that looked more like them and less like the North Carolina contingent.

Long-term, meh.

Academically, there's nothing to separate Louisville from West Virginia or Mississippi State and if you want to build out a conference network, best of luck doing that with a school that only draws half the water in one Kentucky city.

Absolutely. UConn had by far the better academics and long term potential, and much better demographics and markets. Slight edge in men's BB, huge edge in women's BB and similar soccer/baseball. Flagship state universities like ours will always have an advantage over regional schools like Louisville. So visionary leadership in the ACC would have picked UConn. But the ACC thought it needed the same thing UConn needs, a boost in the perception that it takes football seriously.

But we're in denial if we don't realize that the kneejerk, seat of the pants view of our football program is that we're not ready for prime tme. Holding our own against Syracuse and Pitt doesn't change the perception. What we really need is for Connecticut, the state, not the University, to become more of a college football hotbed. That's why I suggested changing to Friday night HS football, it sends a signal that the state is serious about football outside the NFL. UConn should provide free shirts to employees of McDs, BK and DD if their management lets them wear them on game days. Something like that would serve as a reminder to CT residents that there is game they should be paying attention to. Lots of small steps like that, plus winning, will change perceptions.

Reaction Score
The only thing you have proven is that Notre Dame, FSU, Clemson, and Miami can draw TV fans. You can sub BC for any other team in the ACC and get the same or higher (likely higher) ratings.
I dont deal with the nameless (as in school) phantom types.....Larry the red dull

Reaction Score
Absolutely. UConn had by far the better academics and long term potential, and much better demographics and markets. Slight edge in men's BB, huge edge in women's BB and similar soccer/baseball. Flagship state universities like ours will always have an advantage over regional schools like Louisville. So visionary leadership in the ACC would have picked UConn. But the ACC thought it needed the same thing UConn needs, a boost in the perception that it takes football seriously.

But we're in denial if we don't realize that the kneejerk, seat of the pants view of our football program is that we're not ready for prime tme. Holding our own against Syracuse and Pitt doesn't change the perception. What we really need is for Connecticut, the state, not the University, to become more of a college football hotbed. That's why I suggested changing to Friday night HS football, it sends a signal that the state is serious about football outside the NFL. UConn should provide free shirts to employees of McDs, BK and DD if their management lets them wear them on game days. Something like that would serve as a reminder to CT residents that there is game they should be paying attention to. Lots of small steps like that, plus winning, will change perceptions.

When we went to the Michigan game every employee at the hotel was wearing a maize Michigan Tee. Even some taxis were painted blue and maize. Seems that every employee every where wore their colors.

Reaction Score
I dont deal with the nameless (as in school) phantom types.....Larry the red dull

I understand why you post over here. There is no BC message board that actually has any traffic. Maybe 5-10 posts per day. Must be hard finding someone to talk about BC athletics with

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn's lowest-rated game runs opposite of the men's basketball team's biggest game of the year, still gets a dramatically larger rating than BC vs Florida State and you think that DOESN'T prove upstater's argument?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom