Which school will be next to get a P5 invite? | The Boneyard

Which school will be next to get a P5 invite?

Which school will be next to get a P5 invite?

• Boise St

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • BYU

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Cincinnati

Votes: 52 41.9%
  • Houston

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Nevada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UConn

Votes: 51 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It will be UCONN. All we need to do is to get Rutgers booted from the B1G for all their scandals and history of leeching money from conferences. We are the top choice to take their place.

Reaction Score
It will be UCONN. All we need to do is to get Rutgers booted from the B1G for all their scandals and history of leeching money from conferences. We are the top choice to take their place.

Right. Because a full conference member has been booted from its league ... Never before.

Reaction Score
Right. Because a full conference member has booted from its league ... Never before.

Rutgers is considered a full member? Do they play men's basketball at a competent level?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I can see 4 of those schools going to the B12 and none of them are UCONN. The longer we keep Pasqualoni as head coach of our university's money making program (in CR's eyes), the further away we fall from being on-deck.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is considered a full member? Do they play men's basketball at a competent level?
Unless the big 10s invitation included a reference on mcbb competence, your comment is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Why is UConn on your list? We'll have 3 years of PP to undo just to get back to where we were, which was getting passed over by the B1G times 3, ACC times 3.5, SEC times 2, Big 12 times 2, and Pac times 2.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If BYU ever got serious about joining, the Big 12 would take them, and likely add Cincinnati as a travel partner for WVU. BYU is the strangest big time athletic program in the country. People talk about the Sunday prohibition in the press, but suspending Davies off of Jimmer's team raised a lot of eyebrows. With Davies, that was one of the 5 best teams in the country that year, and the school gave up a chance at a final four because he had sex with his girlfriend.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would have to bet that Cincinnati is probably 2-1 or better for the next spot.

The Big 12 screwed up by not adding UL and Cincy when they had the chance - I can't see a path to Big 12 expansion that doesn't include Cincinnati and the Big 12 really seems to be the only conference who might expand in the short term.

I don't think Houston or Nevada have a snowball's chance of a P5 invite and we're currently stuck in our box of hell.

Reaction Score
TROLL...you've only been here since Towson and bring nothing but negativity to every thread....get a life/job !!

Reaction Score
The battle for the eastern seaboard NYC/NE between the B1G and ACC assures us neither will let the other get us w/o a fight!Any solid rumor from either conference will start a fight over UConn(much to BC's dismay) and UConn will have their choice! It won't be long!

Reaction Score
I don't think Houston or Nevada have a snowball's chance of a P5 invite and we're currently stuck in our box of hell.

If Houston strings together a few good FB seasons, I think they're in the mix. It's the 5th largest metro area in the country and growing strong, and a fertile recruiting area. Plus, the B12 has probably lost some share there now that TAMU is in the SEC.

Reaction Score
I can see 4 of those schools going to the B12 and none of them are UCONN. The longer we keep Pasqualoni as head coach of our university's money making program (in CR's eyes), the further away we fall from being on-deck.
I do believe this is Pasqualoni's last year on his contract. So next year maybe we'll get a good up and coming coach.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
My nightmare scenario is FSU and Cincy to the B12 while ESPN insists that UCF is the only fit replacement for FSU to keep the ACCs Florida presence.. The Pac-12 adds Houston and Nevada. 14 becomes the new 12 with the B12 later adding Miami and BYU with USF going to the ACC to keep the Florida market. UMess and UCan't are left behind in the new Div II conference to play Maine, Towson, Nova, Army, and Buffalo every year.

Reaction Score
My nightmare scenario is FSU and Cincy to the B12 while ESPN insists that UCF is the only fit replacement for FSU to keep the ACCs Florida presence.. The Pac-12 adds Houston and Nevada. 14 becomes the new 12 with the B12 later adding Miami and BYU with USF going to the ACC to keep the Florida market. UMess and UCan't are left behind in the new Div II conference to play Maine, Towson, Nova, Army, and Buffalo every year.
Believe me its JUST a nightmare......no way UConn gets left out in the endgame with such an integral market and history of sports excellence!One bad coaching hire (PP) won't blind reason by the P5 (Delany/Swofford) cabal!

Reaction Score
If Houston strings together a few good FB seasons, I think they're in the mix. It's the 5th largest metro area in the country and growing strong, and a fertile recruiting area. Plus, the B12 has probably lost some share there now that TAMU is in the SEC.

Houston isnt giving the Big12 back its share of Houston that TAMU took. The B12 already has UT, Baylor, TTU, and TCU. They aren't adding another Texas school for the same reason that the ACC won't add any more NC schools. There is no monetary reason to.
The most likely additions are BYU and Cincy. FSU/Clemson to B12 isnt happening. See GOR.

Reaction Score

FSU isn't going to the Big 12 - they'll only leave for academics (the Big Ten) or pure football regionalism (the SEC). All of that talk from FSU last year was complete sabre-rattling to see if either the Big Ten or SEC would take them. They didn't want anything to do with the Big 12 - all of those FSU rumors were about the Big 12 trying to puff itself up as more powerful than the ACC (which really isn't true at all - the Big 12 is a paper tiger in the conference realignment game). At the same time, I don't think either UCF or USF are really suitable Florida-based schools as ACC replacements or Big 12 expansion targets. Cincinnati, on the other hand, is definitely positioned to be attractive to the Big 12 - it's a geographic bridge to West Virginia, the athletic department has done a remarkable job in maintaining *consistent* success for its football program despite multiple coaching changes, and it's located in arguably the best non-Sun Belt football recruiting region (which matters for the Big 12 since it's almost completely reliant upon the state of Texas for recruiting right now).

The semi-realistic best case scenario for UConn is that the Big Ten expands with a Big 12 school (Kansas or maybe Oklahoma) and an ACC school (UVA as the prime target) and then the ACC takes UConn as a replacement. The "realistic" worst case scenario (meaning something that can be reasonably foreseeable in the near future) for UConn is that the Big 12 takes Cincinnati and another school (likely BYU) and then everyone else just stands completely still (as that would truly morph the AAC into C-USA 2.0 with UConn stuck). UConn has priority over Cincinnati in the ACC while Cincinnati has priority over UConn in the Big 12, so what ultimately matters is which conference is doing the expanding. The Big Ten really isn't looking at either UConn or Cincinnati - at this point, they'll wait as long as it takes to get an ACC and/or Big 12 school that they really want.

Reaction Score
FSU isn't going to the Big 12 - they'll only leave for academics (the Big Ten) or pure football regionalism (the SEC). All of that talk from FSU last year was complete sabre-rattling to see if either the Big Ten or SEC would take them. They didn't want anything to do with the Big 12 - all of those FSU rumors were about the Big 12 trying to puff itself up as more powerful than the ACC (which really isn't true at all - the Big 12 is a paper tiger in the conference realignment game). At the same time, I don't think either UCF or USF are really suitable Florida-based schools as ACC replacements or Big 12 expansion targets. Cincinnati, on the other hand, is definitely positioned to be attractive to the Big 12 - it's a geographic bridge to West Virginia, the athletic department has done a remarkable job in maintaining *consistent* success for its football program despite multiple coaching changes, and it's located in arguably the best non-Sun Belt football recruiting region (which matters for the Big 12 since it's almost completely reliant upon the state of Texas for recruiting right now).

The semi-realistic best case scenario for UConn is that the Big Ten expands with a Big 12 school (Kansas or maybe Oklahoma) and an ACC school (UVA as the prime target) and then the ACC takes UConn as a replacement. The "realistic" worst case scenario (meaning something that can be reasonably foreseeable in the near future) for UConn is that the Big 12 takes Cincinnati and another school (likely BYU) and then everyone else just stands completely still (as that would truly morph the AAC into C-USA 2.0 with UConn stuck). UConn has priority over Cincinnati in the ACC while Cincinnati has priority over UConn in the Big 12, so what ultimately matters is which conference is doing the expanding. The Big Ten really isn't looking at either UConn or Cincinnati - at this point, they'll wait as long as it takes to get an ACC and/or Big 12 school that they really want.

This is IMO the most likely scenario if anymore changes come. The Pac-12 and Big12 are the only conferences that have open slots. The Pac-12 is holding out for the Texas contingent. That leaves the Big12 who could still take 2 and have a championship (If Texas allows them to). The SEC and B1G only want P5 schools to fill out their 16. The ACC needs Notre Dame to commit before taking their 16th.

Reaction Score
Houston isnt giving the Big12 back its share of Houston that TAMU took. The B12 already has UT, Baylor, TTU, and TCU. They aren't adding another Texas school for the same reason that the ACC won't add any more NC schools. There is no monetary reason to.

I didn't say they'd be a replacement for TAMU, just that they'd help in Houston mkt.

What if they can't reach an agreemtn with BYU? What if TX leaves? Then who does the B12 add?

Reaction Score
I didn't say they'd be a replacement for TAMU, just that they'd help in Houston mkt.

What if they can't reach an agreemtn with BYU? What if TX leaves? Then who does the B12 add?

The issue is Texas gets the Big12 on all markets in Texas, period. Houston doesnt add any more money for the B12 that they arent already getting. If BYU doesnt agree to join, then they either do nothing or they go to a Nevada or Boise State type school. They have plainly stated many times that they wont get anymore TV money than they are getting now unless its a big addition (Clemson/FSU/Notre Dame which arent coming) so there isnt much of a incentive to expand.

If TX leaves then it changes everything. Because I would expect TX to go to the Pac-12, they would at least take 1 other team if not 4 total. (OU,Ok State, Texas Tech, Kansas all possibilities) That would leave the Big12 in a very bad position. If Kansas doesnt go to the P12 then I would expect them to go to the B1G. With that, the Big-12 would essentially be reduced to the AAC/Mtn West level and there would truly be 4 power conferences.

Reaction Score
Looks like we need to beat Cincinnati to set things straight in this poll.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think ND will be forced to join the ACC full time as the next move by a P5 conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom